Start by marking “When the Wind Blows (When the Wind Blows, #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Wind Blows (When the Wind Blows, #1)

When the Wind Blows

(When the Wind Blows #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  45,640 ratings  ·  1,578 reviews
Frannie O'Neill is a caring young veterinarian living in the Colorado Rockies, trying to erase the memory of her beloved husband's mysterious murder. It is not long before another neighbor suddenly dies, and FBI agent Kit Harrison arrives at Frannie's doorstep. Kit is hell-bent on solving the heinous case despite resounding protests from the FBI and the thrashing of his ow ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about When the Wind Blows, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  45,640 ratings  ·  1,578 reviews

Start your review of When the Wind Blows (When the Wind Blows, #1)
Will M.
Update 5/25/2015

So I just bought the last book of the Maximum Ride series, and when I clicked on the series button thing here on goodreads, I stumbled upon a note from James Patterson saying that this Max is different from the Max from Maximum Ride. It's quite impossible how different they are. They're too fucking similar to be different. I can't do anything about it though because I guess what the author says is true. Sucks big time.

------------

I bought this book (in hardcover, for only $2) bec
Afsana
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have read this and I am not ashamed to state I enjoyed it

I see that there are several reviews here that suggest that to have enjoyed this book or james pattersons books shows a low reading level

That is so condesceding. It is possible that there is like me a lot of people who read Fiction (please do remember its fiction) and want something that is easy to read and different from there lives and not always want to read series books with heavy deeper meanings that require a lot of thought or that
Christy
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a surprisingly different/ better book for James Patterson, an author I read a long time ago because my parents enjoyed his work for a while. Therefore I picked it up desperate for a book to read and quickly noticed that I enjoyed it more than his usual work. I haven't read any of the other books in this series, though.
Alex Duncan
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Something blows alright. I struggled to finish this book and by the time I did finish I wanted several hours of my life back. Too many loose ends. Reads like it was written on autopilot.
Natalie Vellacott
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I used to read a lot of James Patterson books but moved away from them when I became a Christian. This was a favourite and re-reading it as a Christian was eye-opening.

The story is brilliant and hard to put down. Genetic experiments on babies produce flying children and when things start going wrong, people with inside knowledge vanish one by one...

Patterson gets the award for the most chapters in a novel at one hundred and twenty seven! I like the short chapters and easily followed the narrativ
Kimmay
Nov 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
The concept was good, but Patterson's writing style just didn't do it for me, it seems very hokey at times and the characters Frannie & Kit seemed flat, rather lame romance weaved in there that i could have done without. I WANTED to like Frannie & KIt but they just didn't add to the story, in fact they were a distraction that really wasn't pulled off very well. The writing seemed choppy.

I'm starting to wonder why Patterson is such a popular author, I'm thinking perhaps his earlier works were be
Mike French
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Strange but enjoyable and entertaining! This book Isn't your Alex Cross, Michael Bennett or Women's Murder Club you are used to reading. It is more fantasy than mystery or thriller,but loved it and looking forward to the second book in the series- THE LAKE HOUSE!
Natasha
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natasha by: Emily
When James Patterson came up with the idea for When The Wind Blows, he probably bragged to all of his friends. When he finished writing the prologue, he probably knew he had a masterpiece in the works.

And when he completed the book, all stunning 416 pages, he probably bragged to his friends about his masterpiece.

What an amazing book. Flawless in every aspect, and throughouly enticing.
Joshua Bizeau
Aug 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Patterson's atrociously elementary prose aside, 'When the Wind Blows' is an afront to good storytelling sensibilites the world over and is another example of literature of the lowest possible common denominator. Whilst the likes of Dan Brown have been the most recent perpetrators of this populism, Patterson has certainly been the more consistent of the two and quite arguably the worst offender of all modern hacks. I must surmise that even the combined powers of Dickens, Poe, Kafka or the most li ...more
Amanda
Jan 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
James Patterson has exactly the same writing style as Dean Koontz. There are hits and misses. This, most definitely, was not a hit.

I've read a few of his other books, mostly the ones meant for children and young adults, so I wasn't really surprised by the caliber of language. However, this book is supposed to be for adults and still, he has a pedestrian way of telling the story. The book flashes in and out of first and third person perspective, among three people, one of them being Max, the girl
Jackie Rogers
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first James Patterson book. Loved it. Quick read. Loads of action. Lots of children. Crazy scientists messing with DNA. These kids can fly. You will like it!
Vicki
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh, what a pleasant surprise! I have a bad habit of picking up books due to the cover or author's name. In this case it was a combo of loving James Patterson and needing something like a moon on the cover. So I saw this book and chose it for a challenge. What I didn't know is that would take me back to Maximum Ride and all the winged children. :) I loved the entire series and now I have been able to revisit the angels.

In this book a lot of genetic experiments took place and things such
Kelsey
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise, but I just wasn't all that engaged
Claudia
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Claudia by: TJ
This is the one that started it all! The very first time we meet Max, a wonderful mutant with wings! Patterson used such a great name he couldn't give it up for the YA series...great suspense, and the adults were compelling.
Heppy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review is a first for me, in that it is my first ever book review, and that it is of my first ever James Patterson novel.
My reading of this book came about by accident; I have demolished every novel on my bookshelf. My boyfriend is a massive Patterson fan, and he handed me this book having not read it himself.

When the Wind Blows was of huge disappointment to me. I was expecting to enjoy an engrossing crime thriller, so I was somewhat surprised when a girl with wings was introduced to the
Nat
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, suspenseful, and another book that kept me up till 10:00 pm.( not really, I'm just saying it was very captivating) When the Wind Blows was the foundation to James Patterson's best-selling series, Maximum Ride which happens to be one of my favorite series, so when I heard about this book, I got really excited. It is similar to Maximum Ride, but not at the same time. Frannie O'Neil is depressed after her husband, David, died. She's not sure who murdered him, but when Kit Harrison, an FB ...more
Mauricio
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
The premise was good, and some of the chapters were well-written. But some of the other chapters left a lot to be desired, and sloppily written. It seems to be a trait in all of Mr. Patterson's books (at least those I have read) in varying degrees.

I will say one thing - this book was way better than the Maximum Ride novel I read the other day. I had actually read Maximum Ride before this, but enjoyed this book better. This book could have been improved by putting in more detail and fleshing out
Karen
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK, JIM SAYS this book is not the beginning of MAXIMUM OVERRIDE SERIES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE BUT 'I DISAGREE', since the characters in this book were scientifically mutated humans and the Maximum ride series really are he same thing, BOTH THIS BOOK and the MAX series are great..... Give it a read.... I Loved it when I read this and was mad cause there was no book two but.. 10 years later low and behold the maximum ride series it out... Any way Great reads...

SuZanne
The scientists are the bad guys, the really bad guys. Don't worry, that doesn't give away much of this exciting plot with both a female and male protagonist. There some good plot twists and several charming young characters as well as the two adult protagonists. Fortunately, they are on the same side of an epic battle heating up in the verdant Colorado mountains. G-men, doctors, newspeople, pharmaceutical industry, military, greedy capitalists--all are enlisted by Patterson in this fast-paced cr ...more
L. Silvey
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Katie
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Alright, this book was AMAZING! I love books about the future of genetic manipulation, and especially how it could possibly pertain to human research (even though its rather far-fetched at the moment). This book was the best one I've read so far in that vein. Plus, the characters are really endearing, the plot is amazing and very twisty, and the writing style keeps you engaged for the entire book - there were no "slow parts." This is the first Patterson book I've ever read, and I've got to say, ...more
James Aura
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is 'fast food fiction.' Like a McDonald's burger it goes down easy, you know what you're going to get and it is pleasant but forgettable. I can see how James Patterson is a top selling author. He goes for the mass market. I found his style breezy and lean, his two or three page chapters easy for frequent stops and starts-- very handy no doubt for bored commuters who bring a book along for the ride. Style is reminiscent of another big selling author, Michael Crichton, with fast action plot t ...more
Elo
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love Max and her story but something doesn't ring right in this adult spin-off of the series.
The adults characters sound wrong somehow. Both main adults characters are competent professionals but the way the act/talk (are written) is off.
I don't remember feeling this reading the YA series so maybe James Patterson is better at writing YA, where all his characters sound right.

At least for me it looks like it.

2 stars only because I previously loved the characters and story. Otherwise, as quality
Barbara Barth
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am always excited to dig into a new book by James Patterson. I have enjoyed his writing very much over the years...whether it is a gritty suspense novel or a heartfelt romance.

A story about genetic engineering gone awry piqued my interest. Medical thrillers are one of my favorite themes. However, this one just didn't grab me... and when it was over I was ready to be done. I don't think I'll pursue anything else in this particular series.
Hannah
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book this book isn’t like Patterson’s normal murderous books it was really enjoyable to read. I would definitely recommend this book if your interested in mystery and a bit of science. This book was definitely full of surprises and I am definitely going to read the next book.
Jamie Suter
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a bit extreme and uninteresting to me, but I think it could make a good TV series with a few tweaks. I liked the concept and some of the characters. A decent read for adult audiences who like science fiction and drama. Did not like all the animals and babies that were killed throughout the book though.
Blue
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The premise was appealing.

The writing was abysmal and as my first Patterson read I am considering being horrified at the popularity of this writer. It was bad enough that it was spread evenly throughout without many specifc points to mention.
(I spoke with an enamored coworker and ended up looking up use of ghostwriters - and apparently James Patterson is more of a brand than an author. He might come up with most of the ideas but it seems most of the writing itself is outsourced. I can understa
Maximum
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1990s
I've wanted to read this series for a long time mainly because the main girl's name is Maximum, which is the same as my name. I can't think of anyone else real or fictional that shares that name, so for me, I always felt a small connection to the story through that despite never reading it. Honestly, I was afraid to read it because after so long I wondered would it live up to the hype for me? Surprisingly, it did. I love the characters, Max especially. She's written as a really believable 13 yea ...more
Krisy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because it's where Patterson got the idea for his Maximum Ride series, which holds a very special place in my heart, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed.

Things I didn't:
The way Franny's body is described, it was gross and made my skin crawl. She's a person not a piece of meat.
It switches between third person and 1st person (Franny's POV), which was really disorienting when it moved between the chapters.
When Kit and Franny think they're about to die the next they decided the mo
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Page Count 3 194 Mar 05, 2018 01:54PM

Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

When the Wind Blows (2 books)
  • The Lake House (When the Wind Blows, #2)