Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > FirstReads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Does anybody else participate in the FirstReads contests? You go to "Explore Books" from the top menu bar, and then click on the "Giveaways" tab. You can read descriptions of the books, sign up, and keep your fingers crossed that you'll get a notification that you've won a book!

According to the description, if you post reviews for books you've received (honest reviews, they don't just have to be glowingly good), you have a better chance of winning future books.

So far I've received 5

Seducing the Spirits
Lit: A Memoir
Prayers That Open Heaven
Mania

Often the books are either bound galley copies, or are recently published.

It's a great deal of fun, and you get to explore authors and genres you might not have encountered otherwise.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I've received two so far:
Something Borrowed
Michal: A Novel

message 3: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I got one that I didn't really want and didn't read so nothing since. It turned out to be book 2 in the series and I hadn't read book 1 so no real interest in it. My mistake as I wasn't paying attention when I selected it.

The Death of Kings

message 4: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments I have won
Necropolis
The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce, & Keep the Man You Want
I only read the first one and did not like it much.

message 5: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) I have received one so far:
Rising Shadow - I got it a while ago and haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to reading it as it sounds like my kind of book.

message 6: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I have received two:

PurposeFull You
(which I finished and reviewed)

Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
(which I am currently reading)

message 7: by Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (last edited Aug 01, 2010 08:04PM) (new)

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I have recieved 4:

Alice I Have Been4*
The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession4*
The Beautiful Being3*
The Dragon Twins

I have read the first three and enjoyed each one. I just won the last one today so I can't wait till it gets here.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) I've received five, I try to read them promptly so as to give the courtesy review they've reqested in a timely manner.

Jenna's Cowboy: A Novel by Sharon Gillenwater, which turned out to be an inspirational (very Christian) romance. I didn't like it much, two stars.
Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef by Mark Schatzker which was a fantastic memoir, five stars.
Montana Destiny by R.C. Ryan which was a romance but only OK, three stars.
Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn which was marvelous, five stars.
Charlie Finley: The Outrageous Story of Baseball's Super Showman which I didn't like much, two stars.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I've won 7:

Vampire Close 2*
Meridian 3*
The Atlantis Code 2*
Always Watching 3*
Beautiful Malice 4*
Truly, Madly 4*
Hidden Wives 4*

I think the longest I've taken to read/review the book has been about 2 months. There was a time or two where as soon as I posted the review, I won another book within 3 days. I try to be quick, but sometimes other things just get in the way.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) Jennifer wrote: "...I try to be quick, but sometimes other things just get in the way. "

Oh yeah, I know how that goes.