Harry Potter discussion

Books > i laughed, i cried...i loved that scene!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kendra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Kendra I'm just trying to get an objective opinion on this.

THanks! Kendra

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Rachel okay, now that all seven books are out and (for most of us) read at least twice...what are your favorite scenes from the books?

mine are as follows:

1. from book 7: when harry walks back into the woods. i literally cried through the entire chapter. i wasn't just sad at what was going to happen, but i was also so touched and moved by the way rowling wrote it. absolutely beautiful.

2. from book 4: after cedric is killed and harry escapes voldemort. as everyone realizes cedric is dead, the professors come over to harry and tell him it's okay to let go of cedric...but he can't. he just holds on to him. that was the first time i cried in the books. harry's desperation and fear and sorrow are so, so sad. again, beautifully written.

3. from book 5: at the very end when they are back at hogwarts and dumbledore is talking to harry about his biggest mistake: caring too much for harry. it was such a sweet, heartfelt moment and it showed how much harry was still loved, even though sirius was gone. i was so disappointed at the end of movie 5 when they cut that scene to only a few lines...:(

4. from book 6 and book 7: harry and ginny, hermione and ron. both first kisses were totally spontaneous and absolutely hilarious! yay for snogging!

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My Favorite Scene Are As Follows:

Book 1: Where the trio have come back from one of their adventures and Hermione says shes going to bed and then says something ending with "You will get us killed or worse, expelled." That was always funny to me. Uh, Hermione... being killed is worse then getting expelled.LOL

Book 2: Where Lockhart tries to put a memory curse on Ron and Harry and it ends up backfiring on himself.

Book 3: The whole section where Harry and Hermione go back in time and changes everything and saves Sirius and Buckbeak. I also like the part where Harry screams EXPECTO PATRONUM and saves Sirius and himself...that part always gives me the goosebumps.

Book 4: I the pro quidditch game scene...cool special effects.

Book 5: I like the part where the students create a special club to teach themselves how to defend themselves against dark magic

Book 6: Can't think of any at the moment

Book 7: Many favorites... Mrs. Weasley calling Bellatrix a bitch and killing her; Harry finally finding Godric's Sword; The school coming together to fight Voldemort; Kreacher and the other elves coming to help fight Voldemort; Going into Snape's memory; The fact the the Weasley Twins were able to joke about the lost ear..lol; and of course the epilogue.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Objective opinion? It sounds like it's riding the coattails of crap. That makes it, umm, crappy crap.

message 5: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) Book 7: the twins joking about the lost ear; Harry & Hermione visiting the grave yard, finding the Potters and placing the flowers there; Dobby coming to the rescue; Snape's memories; Ron & Hermione getting together AT Last!

message 6: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Rachel, I agree with you about Book 7 and the scene in the woods ... and if you read it, you don't even have to comment on why...Rowling really did a beautiful job at writing this as you said. I also loved Snapes memories in the Pensieve. It made so many things clear (I did not think he would end up being a friend) - I was so surprised to have read about Snape and Lilly. And I actually felt bad for Aunt Petunia in the childhood scenes.....

message 7: by Natalie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Natalie *Spoiler alert! - don't read if you haven't yet finished the book!*
AH! The scene in the woods!!! I think that was one of my all-time favorite scenes of all the books! I was sobbing!!!! I agree, that was written beautifully. My heart was aching -- yet I knew that Harry couldn't REALLY die. In my heart I knew Rowling wouldn't -- couldn't -- have actually killed him off. Those last few chapters were just wonderful.
I also was blown away by the Snape memories! I NEVER saw that coming! What a great gem to add at the end of the series. It revealed so much about so many people. That was great. I knew that somehow Snape must have been "good" -- I hated to think that Dumbledore would have been wrong about him all along. Like others have said, though, he was still someone that you loved to hate -- but after uncovering his real history there's a bit of pity added to the hate.

message 8: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal finished up 7 a few days ago, had gotten snagged (here comes blasphemy, sorry) on book 4 and given up for awhile on the series. but zoomed through 5-7.

I think my favorite part of the entire thing, which someone mentioned earlier is Mrs. Weasley finally letting loose on someone in the form of Bellatrix. That was completely and utterly perfect. :)

-Rob

message 9: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Tracey Book 7:
-- the entire Prince's Tale chapter. i had a feeling that Snape had a crush on Lily, but the *depth* of his feelings for her absolutely blew me away. after i finished reading the entire book, i kept going back to that chapter because i was just stunned beyond belief.
-- "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" 'nuff said. Rock On, Mollywobbles!
-- i STILL can't believe that Dobby's gone!!!!! my jaw's still sore from having dropped to the basement at that scene. and the way that Harry grieved for him - digging his grave by hand, giving up his jacket, and "Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf" - i could feel Harry becoming decades older in just a few brief moments.

(will add more favorites from the other books when i get home...)

message 10: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Could never choose!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My LEAST favorite part in ALL OF THE BOOKS is where Sirius died. I cried and cried. That still haunts me today.....

I also like when Ron's mom finds out when he is a prefect and says: "Oh Ronnie, that's everyone in the family!" Then Fred and George say: "What are we? Next-door neighbors?"

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments *SPOILERS

Wow, this topic makes me want to read the whole series all over again. Anyway, I have tons of favorite scenes from the 7th book ("Not my daughter you bitch!" - classic), but the book that really made me cry my heart out was Order of the Phoenix. From when Sirius died until after Harry's talk with Dumbledore, I was a complete wreck. There's a few that stand out from end of book 6 as well, like the cave scene and everything that happens after Dumbledore's death. And there's about a million other favorite scenes from the others.

Ella, great quote from the Weasleys, love it.

Oh how I adore Harry Potter.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 30, 2009 12:18PM) (new)

Elizabeth said: "Ella, great quote form the Weasleys, love it."

I know. I love that quote. I hate it when Dumbledore dies too. And when George got his ear cut off, when Fred died...

Her is what George said to Fred when he got his ear cut off:

(George) Fred, I'm feeling Holey
(Fred) Mum, what's going on? Did it affect his brain?
(George) No Fred, get it? I'm feeling Holey!

I love that part...

Why did FRED have to die? I have always liked him more... No offense George... I just think that Fred is funnier....

message 15: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments book 7: the Prince's Tale part.
book 6: when Harry finds out about the horcrux.
book 5: when harry and his friends made DA.
book 4: when Harry's name came out from the goblet.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, my favorite one is when Voldemort realizes his Horcruxes have been slowly and meticously destroyed. The way he killed everyone. The way Malfoy and Bellatrix had to run to live... beatiful, utterly well written and stuningly real!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Shae wrote: "Ella, instead of holy you put my little sis' name."

Sorry!

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I love in book one when Fred and George come in at Christmas time and talk about their sweaters.
"But we're not stupid. We know are names are Gred and Feorge."
Love it!
I basically love anything with the twins!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

OMGSH LOVED THAT!!!!!!! I was basically ROFL! XD

message 21: by misfaraluvu (new)

misfaraluvu | 10 comments I love all the brave part of the book something that maybe i don't have a guts to do..
the sad part is when harry thought that he have someone to be call family suddenly he's gone(sirius black)really touch me.
the funny part is the mischief map.I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I AM UP TO NO GOOD. i wish i have that map..hahaha

message 22: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (MusicFreak) | 62 comments maddi wrote: "I am among the fans of when Molly called Bellatrix a bitch. it was great.

I also fell in love with Peeves and Kreacher(="

LOL

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the scene when Harry and Ron were talking about the Yule Ball during class and Ron says: "Hermione, you're a girl." My mom and I cracked up. I also like where in that same scene Snape hears them talking and it shows him rolling up his sleeves and he hits their heads really hard. I LOL every time I see that.

I also love where it's the 2nd task in the TriWizard Tournament and Neville says: "Oh my gosh, I killed Harry Potter!" I love it when he says that. :)

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily I agree with Ella, I loved the part where Ron's mom finds out when he is a prefect and says: "Oh Ronnie, that's everyone in the family!" Then Fred and George say: "What are we? Next-door neighbors?"

message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments Fred and George always! Make me laugh!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Milli wrote: "I agree with Ella, I loved the part where Ron's mom finds out when he is a prefect and says: "Oh Ronnie, that's everyone in the family!" Then Fred and George say: "What are we? Next-door neighbors?""

:D :D I looooooooooooooved that part!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I agree with Ella she wrote:Snape hears them talking and it shows him rolling up his sleeves and he hits their heads really hard, and I also love where it's the 2nd task in the TriWizard Tournament and Neville says: "Oh my gosh, I killed Harry Potter!" I am in love with Harry Potter

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I agree with Ella she wrote:Snape hears them talking and it shows him rolling up his sleeves and he hits their heads really hard, and I also love where it's the 2nd task in the TriWizard Tournament..."

*Nods head slowly in a cool way of agreement.*

message 29: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments I think its hilarious in the 5th movie when Fudge realizes Voldemorts back. Hes like, 'He's back!" WELL DUH!!!!

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I love when Neville says, "I'll join you when Hell freezes over!" to Voldy. i love Neville!

message 31: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments yeah hes hilarious when hes like, "I killed Harry Potter!" in the movie!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 10 comments i think the best parts of the plot are when barty crouch jr. confesses at the end of four and snapes memories in number seven. abseloutley genius!

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 4 comments After reading all these comments I really want to reread the series!!! I was so sad when I finished it because in my head I thought "it's over". I cried when Dobby and Sirius died. I was so happy when everything turned out okay. I love the scene when Hermione, Ginny and Luna were fighting Bellatrix. Like it all came down to them. I was in shock when Lupin and Tonks died I was like "No they have a baby they can't both die!". I was just in total denial. Ugh now I'm just going to have to drop everything and reread them!

P.S. I was thinking that in like 50 years there's going to be Harry Potter remakes and we are all going to be old and throw popcorn at the screen screaming "the originals were better!!!"

message 34: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments haha that would be hilarious!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

To Shannon's P.S.

LOL.

I usually never LOL but that actually did.

And yes that is a very reasonable guess.

message 36: by Icelyn (new)

Icelyn (Paramore100) | 7 comments Hmmm. This might take a while.

1. In the first book I like the scene with the troll. It was my favorite!

2. In the second book, I LOVED Lockheart when they're getting out of the Chamber! He's so loopy, it's hilaious!

3. Book 3. I'd have to say when Harry gets on the Knight Bus, blows up Aunt Marge, and the part where Sirius breaks into Gryffindoor and Ron wakes up to find him standing over the bed with a knife. Oooh and when Harry fights off the dementors, and when Harry and Lupin talk, and... well let's just say I loved the whole book, start to finish.

4.I cried at the end, that was the first time I cried in any book!

5. I loved when they were at Grimwald place for Christmas, and a bunch of funny things were happening. I forget what the were though! I loved the DA and when the Weasleys set off the firworks, and when Peeves chases Umbrige from Hogwarts. And from the part where Sirius died to the very end I cried so hard..

6. When Ginny and Harry kissed, most definately! Oh and when Ginny was saying about how Romadila Vane asked if he had a hippogriff tattoed on his chest. The part when Dumbledore fell off the tower, when Harry's crying over Dumbledore, and Dumbledore's funeral, and the part where Harry tell eveyone what happened, I cried sooooooo hard, I stained the pages. The part where Harry and Snape fight I was, I dunno, I guess you could call it enraged.

7. Finally, in the last book, starting from when Fred Weasley dies to the end(not including the epilouge) I cries, and the scene with Dobby too. My favorite scene of all is when they break out with the dragon!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Hmmm........ I think where the Dursley's went on vacation with Harry and he found out he was a wizard. Also when he met Ron, and Hermione telling Ron: "You've got dirt on your nose. Yes, right there." I crack up every time when I read that.

2. When they FINALLY figure out how to get into the Chamber, and when they are in the Chamber.

3. In the end where Harry figures out that he didn't see his dad, it was him. And when he learned Sirius was his Godfather and they were talking about moving into Sirius' house. I really thought that it would finally be a "happy" ending.

4. Mm..... When Voldemort returned... That was.. dramatic... and when Cedric died....

5. When he saved Dudly from the dementors... And when he saved Mr. Weasley from Nagini. And when they were at the D.A. club.... and when Harry had his first kiss with Cho and Ron said: "How was it?" and Harry replied: "Wet." I cracked up. I loved the WHOLE book, in fact, that was in my top 2, but I loved loved LOVED after they got the prophecy and the whole battle.

6. Harry and Ginny's first kiss, that was so..... cute! They are a GREAT couple. I also liked when Dumbledore died, okay not liked, but I liked how Harry really showed a sad emotion for him. I also like Dumbledore's funeral because that was where Harry and Ginny broke up. I think I cried during that part! I also like where Ginny asked Harry if he really did have a tattoo of a hippogriff on his chest. And where Hermione and Ron realized they liked each other!

7. SOOOOOO the battle and when Neville killed Nagini... I always knew he would do something brave in one of the books. :D

Wow, I have so many good memories from the books!

message 38: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Mar 12, 2010 06:06PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Some of my favorite scenes/moments:

Comic scene: When Snape is insulted by the words of Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs on the The Marauder's Map

Sad scene: From Dobby's death through Harry digging his grave and coming to his decision about the hallows and horcruxes.

Action scenes: Battle at the Department of Mysteries in OotP, the Ministry heist in DH, and the death of Bellatrix.

Favorites to reread: The chapters "The Silver Doe," "The Prince's Tale," and "The Lost Prophecy."

Other: First potions lesson in SS/PS and Fred and George's departure in OotP.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the chapter: "Silver Doe"! I am just currently re-reading DH and I came to that chapter at school. I basically started screaming: "I LOOOOOOOOVE THIS CHAPTER!" But sadly, I had to stop at that chapter because my book club is making me read like another 5 books. :(

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 4 comments I absolutely loved in the 7th book that Neville turned out to be a major hero. I felt so proud of him, going from awkward nerd to one of the bravest characters in the books. It was definitely unexpected but made him a more in depth. If that makes sense.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Neville finally broke out of his shell! Go Neville!

message 42: by Amanda (last edited Mar 07, 2010 08:06PM) (new)

Amanda (goodreadscomamanda_gu) | 1 comments 1 - I laughed so much when Dumbledore says his few words before the feast and goes "Nitwit!Blubber! Oddment! Tweak"
2 - I love it when Harry is talking to Tom Riddle and says that Dumbledore is the greatest wizard in the world
3 - I laugh whenever Lee Jordan is doing the commentary and Professor McGonagall is yelling at him
4 - I always crack up whenever i read the part where Harry, Hermoine, and Ron are in the owlery sending a letter to Sirius, and see Fred and George. Then they do that saying the same things at the same time thing when asking eachother what they are doing. Oh and also when Fred and George give Dudely the tongue engorgement toffee
5. The most intense part is definitely the battle at the department of mysteries, but i love when Ron asks about Harry and Cho kissing too. Also I laugh at the part where Fred and George set off the fireworks, and the teachers always call Umbridge to get rid of them because they're not sure whehter they have the "authority," when McGonagall tells Peeves the chandelier unscrews the other way, and when Fred and George leave Hogwarts, especially when Peeves promises to "Give her hell from us"
6. This book makes me laugh so much, but especially when Harry says "There's no need to call me 'sir' Professor," and when Harry is at Dumbledore's funeral and remembers Dumbledore's idea of a few words
7. I always cry when i read the part where Harry writes "Here lies Dobby, a free elf" on Dobby's tombstone. Obviously, i love the whole battle at hogwarts. I think the funniest part is when Fred and George make ear related humor, and I love the ending when Harry tells Albus Potter that the sorting hat let him choose which ouse he wants to be in.

message 43: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Well, my favorite scene would have to be Fred and George's escape. I also love when they go back in time in the third book (probably my fav book). Oh, I almost forgot, I love when Fred and George fill in eachother's sentences!

QUOTE!
"What is it, he asks!"
"This can show everyone."
"What they're doing."
"Every minute,"
"Of every day."

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 48 comments Okay, DIFFICULT decision, but here they are...

1. RON AND HERMIONE FINALLY GET TOGETHER!!!!
2. The Prince's Tale-- Snape get redeemed!
3. The Silver Doe-- Ron the hero!!!!
4. the troll fight in SS
5. Cedric's death-- all the others later are SO sad, but this is the first time Harry has to face that.

message 45: by Joe (last edited Jun 24, 2011 01:05AM) (new)

Joe | 57 comments SS: When Dumbledore goes "MM! Earwax!" and what everyone else is saying from Hermione, "Well I'M going to bed before one of you two comes up with another idea to get us killed, or worse, expelled," and Ron's answer, "She's got to sort out her priorities."

CoS: My whole mood dropped when Hermione was petrified. I liked the corrupt feeling it gave you when Hogwarts threatened to close down.

PoA: When Lupin flings the gum up Peeve's nose in his first DADA lesson. When Cruickshanks helps them through the Whomping Willow.

GoF: It was so sad how Cedric died, and in the movie Phlegm, I mean Fleur, is less annoying.

OOTP: I have to admit a realy funny part was when Neville came out screaming, "STUBEFY! STUBEFY! STUBEFY!" but his nose had been punched!!!! xD

HBP: I find it creepy with the whole:

Hissy hissy, little snakey
slither across the floor,
You be good to Morfin,
or he'l nail you to the door.

but I like when they visit the cave. I can imagine how Harry felt being so wet and cold. But the saddest part ofcourse was when he visited Dumbledores body at the bottom of the Astronomy Tower.

DH: I won't bother with this, I'd be quoting the whole book. But I must admit I do like when Hermione goes, "No I'm just highly logical, which allows me to look past extraneous detail and percieve what others clearly overlook!" RIGHT after Harry argues about how theyre going to get a basilisk fang. xD

message 46: by Candycloud (new)

Candycloud | 143 comments I love it in the 5th book when Mrs Weasly says "That's everyone in the family!" And Fred & George say "What are we then? Next door neighbours?"

I also love it in the 3rd book when Fred & George teased Percy by speaking really poshly and stuff.

I <3 George more than Fred! Before Fred died =o(

message 47: by Candycloud (new)

Candycloud | 143 comments I also love it when Fred & George make a dramatic and very funny exit in front of evil Umbridge.

message 48: by Fanelli (new)

Fanelli (nellimendez) | 4 comments i loved the battle at hogwarts. i thought it was the most epic thing ever!!!! at the time i was reading said chapter i was in public transportation. i just wanted to jump up and down screaming DUMBLEDORES ARMY!!!!!! but i held back... barely... it was exciting!!!

message 49: by La Niña (new)

La Niña | 14 comments Book 7: That moment when Voldemort was (FINALLY!) defeated by Harry! I was out of breath when I came to that part.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean, it was so tense! when I read it I was frozen in my chair and breathing really lightly as if the sound would distract Harry or something. lol

« previous 1