Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Dealing with posters and other non-books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) | 7 comments Searching for a book to add to my shelf and ran across these.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...

Would these need to be deleted or do we leave them?

Not sure if I should post this stuff for someone or ignore it.

TIA

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45014 comments Mod
Deleting won't help; they'll just return, zombie-like. ;)

Instead (assuming they have no reviews actually intended for a book), check that they are not combined with anything else (use the "separate" function on the combine editions page, if necessary), and label them as "Not a Book" and change the author to that as well.

I did those two so you can see what I mean. :)

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) | 7 comments Okay, thanks Rivka. Learning slowly but surely.
*grin*

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Usually the best way. :)

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments So, just clarifying, on posters, change the author to "Not a Book" as well?

And another thought I've had, but not acted on: I was thinking about the idea of combining "not books" that appear under a single author into one "combination." For example, there are posters and notecard sets under several authors, could I combine them to "clean up" that author's list of works?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Sallyb, Yes, Anything that isn't a book or a book on CD, etc. books, please put NOT A BOOK in front of the title and in the author field.

Re combining "not books," just intuitively I like that idea myself but I'll leave the official response up to the official librarians.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Sallyb, if you change the author to NOT A BOOK (as well as adding it to the title) there's no need to combine since the book will be listed under the generic not a book author rather than the original author. In fact, it's better not to combine them in this case because if you miss one they get cross-combined across authors which is a little harder to find and cleanup.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments In fact, it's better not to combine them in this case because if you miss one they get cross-combined across authors which is a little harder to find and cleanup.

Michael, Very good point. You've changed my mind.

message 9: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments So, I know the answer to this exists somewhere, forgive me. ;) What about a "Not a Book: poster" that has 60 ratings, and they are all obviously for the book, not the poster?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...

This one has 23 ratings:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

This one 17 ratings:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30...

Is it worth my time?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments In those cases, combine them with the correct book, then delete the poster to transfer the ratings onto the book.

You might consider re-adding the poster and its ISBN back into the system and tagging it as not a book from the start to prevent it from reloading from Amazon and then having more people mistakenly add it, starting the cycle over again.

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments Are dumpbins also Not Books?

see: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Anything else that should bet "Not a Book"ed like posters do?

Thanks

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Dumpbins are not books.

Any opinions on sticker books?

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I would say that sticker books that also contain text (like the ones that are made for kids to put stickers in key spots while reading along) are real books; those that lack any text whatsoever are a stickier question.

message 14: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 21, 2008 04:17PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Things that are not books include:

dumpbins
posters
floor displays
calendars
counterpacks
plush toys/dolls
decks of cards
bookmarks

Many of these have multiple spelling and abbreviation variants, but they start to become very recognizable after awhile.

Of course, there are other things that are also not books, such as rocks, kittens, clouds, fire hydrants, and tofu, but I thought I'd stick with the ones most likely to be found in the Amazon GoodReads database.

message 15: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 21, 2008 05:45PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I thought I'd expand on my previous post. Here are some phases/terms to look for which usually indicate things that are not books:

* dumpbin, dump bin, dumpb, dumpbi, dumpbn, dbin, d/bin
* counterpack, counter pack, cpack, c/pack, counter display
* floor display, floordisplay, floor disp, fd, f/d
* mixed bin, mixed copy, copy bin, mxd
* prepak, ppk, stockpack, stock pack
* header
* calendar
* poster
* shrinkwrap, shrink wrap, s/wrap, swrap
* x12, x24, x36, x48, 12c, 24c, 36c, 48c, 12cc, 24cc, 36cc, 48cc, 60cc
* 18fl, 24fl, 27fl, 36fl (fl = floor display)

The last two lists indicate #'s of copies, e.g., 24c indicates a 24 copy item...thus these are usually display or stock items of that # of books and not the correct ISBN for the actual individual books themselves. These are the most common numbers, but others also abound. Also, stray numbers in a title (as numerical digits rather than spelled out), even without the x, c, or cc, will often indicate copy number as well.

A single year in a title (e.g., 2008) often indicates a calendar.

Presence of one of these terms does not automatically indicate that the item is not a book, but in most cases you should be suspicious.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Northrup (kristenn) | 25 comments I came across a floor display yesterday but don't have the ability to transfer reviews, etc. Should I post those here? Or assume that the super librarians are pulling those things up via search and deleting them as they have time?

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Kristen, There are so very many non-books here at Goodreads (thousands!!) so please don't assume something you caught will be caught by the super librarians or anyone else. So, yes, you can post in the book issues thread or here.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments Thanks, Michael, for that list of Not Books. I've been wondering, and now I know!

message 19: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 22, 2008 03:46PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Sallyb, you're welcome. I took me quite awhile to start to figure some of these out, they're certainly not always obvious.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Another one I just found:

"mxfl" = mixed floor display

message 21: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Thanks for that list, Michael. I've seen a bunch of "flr dsply" and "prepk" type things that I figured where NOT A BOOK, but I wasn't sure.

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13278 comments Yikes! What about maps??? I've changed maps to NOT A BOOK!!!1

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Yes; maps too. There are thousands & thousands of non-book items with ISBNs that Amazon sells. Unfortunately. I tend to concentrate on the non-books that I think will be most likely to be mistaken by Goodrads members as books and therefore the most likely to get ratings & reviews. There are too many to get to all the non-books. Think of all of the calendars generated every single year!

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I can't remember...what is the consensus on sheet music and the like? Book? Not book?

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Did we ever reach consensus on that? Personally, I'm torn -- especially if there are lyrics.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments I say not a book, but that's just me. But I have put NOT A BOOK in front of them because I thought we had decided that. So Rivka & All please decide. (I might have to go back and do MORE edits!!!)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I guess I lean toward leaving it as a book. Although it's not something that is "read" in the traditional fashion, there doesn't seem to be any reason that music collected in book form wouldn't count as a book. I mean, photographic books are still considered books, so why not music, even without lyrics?

Most of the other non-books seem fairly straightforward, but since music may actually be bound just like any other soft cover...

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I agree. Sorry, Lisa. ;)

message 29: by Lisa (last edited May 25, 2008 01:43PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments That's fine. Actually, I thought sheet music is often not in book form. The "sheet music" I have as books are books. Often sheet music (that I'm used to) is a single piece.

But, I'll go back (I don't promise when) and see if I can find the ones I marked NOT A BOOK. It shouldn't be too hard as I left "sheet music" as part of the title and edition type.

I'm glad it's been settled, and that makes less work here at GR too.

P.S. And if anyone comes across any, please change back. Thanks!

EDIT AGAIN: I'm not finding any and I know that I've done about a dozen. So, I apologize; I will keep looking. But, if you run across them, please make the change. Think most were John Williams/maybe 10 of 12??? Thank you.

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments What about a blank journal for the buyer to write in?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I don't consider a blank journal a book...it's just a fancy pad of paper.

message 32: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I entirely agree.

message 33: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13278 comments I would say that a journal is just a notebook. But that does bring me to ask about sticker books. I'm afraid I have to confess to not even questioning that and changing them to not a book. But what do you guys say? I probably have only actually changed a couple of them.

Lisa, I've changed some sheet music to NOT A BOOK too. So I'll be looking with you.

message 34: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I think I said this before, but IMO, the sticker books depend. If they are just stickers, then being bound is irrelevant -- it's just packaging. ;) But some sticker books are story books for kids, where the kids are supposed to put the stickers in strategic spots. I'd say those are books.

message 35: by Lasairfiona (new)

Lasairfiona | 38 comments Is there a way to tell the difference?

message 36: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sometimes you get blank journals with interspersed anecdotes by the author, though, and I've been leaving those as books on the idea that there might be enough original text in there to interest a collector, especially from humor authors....

message 37: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lasairfiona, sometimes not unless you are familiar with the specific example.

Cait, that's a good point.

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Maybe this list of what's not a book should be a sticky at the top of the group?

message 39: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Good idea. Retitled, moved to P&P, and stickied.

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments I found one that says R/P. My gut instinct is that it's not a book, but I thought I'd check first. For now I've combined it with the other titles. Here's a link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26...

message 41: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

WorldCat and GoogleBooks both think it's a regular book. I just deleted the extraneous "R/P."

message 42: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments Recycled Paper?

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/80...

I can't figure out if this is a real book or not.

message 44: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I think not. None of the bookstores knows the book, nor do WorldCat and GoogleBooks; the only sites that have it are Amazon and those who get their info from Amazon -- and this one, which implies that it's a 6-pack of books.

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments Okay, I changed it to "Not a book." Thanks!

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments This "author" looks like a bunch of perpetual calendars that are a quote-a-day. Do they stay in the database? If so, should I change the author to the publisher's name instead of "perpetual"?

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments JG,

If they have ISBNs they have to stay in the database.

If they're straight calendars and don't have a lot of text/book-like qualities, the author should be changed to NOT A BOOK.

message 48: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

They actually seem to me to be more like books than plain calendars; they have real content for each day. Some of them have other primary authors than Perpetual, too.

I vote for not changing them to Not A Book.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Yes, That's why I said IF they don't have a lot of text/book-like qualities. I've left most perpetual calendars alone because they sometimes (but not always) do. However, having other authors doesn't mean much. Most straight calendars have "authors" and those I change to NOT A BOOK with no qualms.

message 50: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

True. I looked at several item descriptions as the primary evidence.

« previous 1 3