Books on the Nightstand discussion

What are you reading May 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2781 comments Mod
I don't see that anyone has started this - if there is one already, I'm sorry.

1776 audio in the car

The Accident audio on my iPad

The Liars' Club my state at home book

In the Woods my carry everywhere book

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Just finished Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova.

Next up The Fair Fight

And still reading American Psycho when I can stomach it.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark (majorbookgeek) | 24 comments I am reading Wolf Winter. On audio, I am listening to The Marco Effect. It is the 5th Dept Q crime thriller, set in Copenhagen.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (majorbookgeek) | 24 comments Janet wrote: "Just finished Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova.

Next up The Fair Fight

And still reading American Psycho when I can stomach it."

^I want to read Fair Fight, Janet! Sounds really good!

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
At the moment:

The Invisible Bridge The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan by Rick Perlstein Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianec) | 46 comments Just finished The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez and it was so wonderful.

Am listening to The Martian by Andy Weir

and am in the middle of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I just finished The Folded Clock: A Diary, and since I have nothing nice to say, I'll say nothing at all.

I'm reading and loving Anthony Doerr's Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World, a memoir of his fellowship year in Rome where he struggles with new parenthood and the writing of All the Light We Cannot See.

Next up on audio should be The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I've been talking about finally getting to for years now.

In print, I plan to start Citizen: An American Lyric which, along with the Doerr, I picked up at Booktopia.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Next up The Fair Fight

I only just started but the narrator has a great accent, which always makes for a better audio experience.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Green | 3 comments I loved In the Woods.....one of my favorite books ever!

message 10: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 5 comments I seem to be in a classics mode at the moment.

I just started to listen to The Moonstone in the car.
I'm reading Persuasion on my Kindle.
I'm listening to Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain on my phone at lunch.

I think I'll start reading The Eyre Affair
by Jasper Fforde after I finish Austen's Persuasion.

Who says you can only read one book at a time? It looks like most of the folks who have posted here are just as adept at juggling multiple storylines as I am. :-)

message 11: by Julie (last edited May 11, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 272 comments I just finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Absolutely WONDERFUL. Also in the middle of Jojo Moyes' Me Before You. Next up: Slave and Sister - a book I borrowed from the library and had to return last year, before reading! ETA: Skipped over to a local author, whose book I purchased at the Minnesota Book Awards Gala last month: Nicole Helget's Stillwater today!

message 12: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A I am reading for my book club: The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg

Listening to: The Martian by Andy Weir

message 13: by Deb (last edited May 11, 2015 02:12PM) (new)

Deb | 92 comments Finished Last Night at the Lobster
Reading Fram right now
Next up: The Nightingale
A Little Life

message 14: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) I just finished reading The Buried Giant and posted a review.

http://marion-hill.com/book-review-64...

I'm trying to decide to either read Oracle Night by Paul Auster or The Sportswriter by Richard Ford next. We shall see.

Marion

message 15: by Loretta (last edited May 13, 2015 11:39AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) | 136 comments I've recently completed The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League by Jeff Hobbs , which was heartbreaking, but really well-written and I think an important read.

I also just finished The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo , which was a little wacky, but I think really useful. I'm actually looking forward to purging so much stuff!

Also still plugging away at Epitaph by Mary Doria Russell , which I'm really enjoying, but am also reading pretty slowly.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 144 comments I'm reading The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny as my fiction read and The Wright Brothers by David McCullough as my nonfiction selection.

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) | 136 comments Julie wrote: "I just finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Absolutely WONDERFUL. Also in the middle of Jojo Moyes' [book:Me Before You|155..."

I really loved both 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' and 'Me Before You'. They also both took me by surprise--I wasn't expecting to like either one as much as I did.

message 18: by Karen (new)

message 19: by Monik (new)

Monik | 1 comments Almost finished with A Little Life and trying hard not to cry on the train.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve (zakath) jack Campbells lost fleet series

Jack Campbell

Dauntless

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments currently reading The Buried Giant and listening to The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

After this planning on tackling The Drowned Cities and doing Dept. of Speculation in audio.

message 22: by Robin (last edited May 15, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Robin I finished On the Move: A Life which was an Advance Reader's Copy I won from Goodreads - well worth reading BTW! And now, I'm in the midst of Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. Totally fascinating!

Quite unlike me to read non-fiction, especially two back-to-back, but I think that's a good thing :)

message 23: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 817 comments Finished listening to The Whites by Harry Brandt this morning. Kind of a disappointment. Starting Perfidia by James Ellroy today. I hope its better.

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (vblanc) I have finished The War that Saved My Life & Life After Life. I really loved both of them! The 1st was a middle grade book but it was fantastic! Life After Life was great too obviously and I plan to read A Good In Ruins soon but I got to read a couple of my book club reads Stardust & Defending Jacob

message 25: by Linda (new)

Re-started listening to I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend.

message 26: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) I started reading The Sportswriter by Richard Ford by Richard Ford. It's well-written and interesting so far after 70 pages in. Looking forward to reading this one.

Marion

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Alex wrote: "currently reading The Buried Giant and listening to The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

After this planning on tackling [book:The Drowned Cities|128..."

I'd like to know how Dept. of Speculation works in audio.

message 28: by Kate (last edited May 21, 2015 01:40PM) (new)

Kate | 269 comments Sandy wrote: "Alex wrote: "currently reading The Buried Giant and listening to The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

After this planning on tackling [book:The Drown..."

Listened to Dept of Speculation and I am newish to audio, but read by the author it was a great book. I had tried to read it on paper, but I had a solo car trip and it was perfect.. Kept me interested and could understand the breaks in narrative. I highly recommend the audio.

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I loved it in print, and didn't know Jenny Offill did the audio narration. I may need to re-read!

Kate wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Alex wrote: "currently reading The Buried Giant and listening to The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

After this planning on tackling [..."

message 30: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I also listened to the audio. I thought it was good but not great. Offill did a great job on the narration though and I'm always hesitant when authors read their own work.

message 31: by Andreas_55 (new)

Andreas_55 | 9 comments Reading now "H is for Hawk" by Helen Macdonald. It's just a wonderful book. After this I will either start with "Cutting for Stone " or a non fiction title.

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I'm listening to Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town which is fascinating. Of course I couldn't help myself from googling the heck out of the backstory on this. And I finally broke down and invested in some quality headphones. If you listen to a lot of audio, you should get some good ones....it makes the listening experience positively luxurious.

message 33: by Linda (last edited May 22, 2015 05:05PM) (new)

listening to Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones Jim Henson: The Biography

With driving to NYC next week, I should really put a dent in my back list of audio books.

What headphones would you suggest, Janet?

message 34: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Bose, pricey but totally worth it.

message 35: by Adore (new)

Adore bose are very good. if you want something slightly less expensive, i recomend audio-technica. i really love my pair! they aren't too bass-y and there isn't much sound leakage if you listen in public. :) anyway, you can't go wrong with either brand -- good luck!

message 36: by Linda (new)

Adore wrote: "bose are very good. if you want something slightly less expensive, i recomend audio-technica. i really love my pair! they aren't too bass-y and there isn't much sound leakage if you listen in publi..."

Janet wrote: "Bose, pricey but totally worth it."

Thank you both.

message 37: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Belcastro (bridgetbelcastro) | 3 comments I'm listening to 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's been a 15 year process, but I will get through it.

I'm reading The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to be a Better Husband by David Finch. Very interesting and engaging read. He and his wife came to my book club last week. Very lively discussion!

Listening to Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix with my daughter. It's Book 2 of her Missing series. Learning a lot of 15th century British history!

Reading on my Kobo - The Penitent Assassin by Shawn Wickersheim. It's a very dark fantasy novel.

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen | 293 comments Andreas_55 wrote: "Reading now "H is for Hawk" by Helen Macdonald. It's just a wonderful book. After this I will either start with "Cutting for Stone " or a non fiction title."

I recommend Cutting for Stone

message 39: by Eric (last edited May 24, 2015 02:39PM) (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I'm reading Bleak House.

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

As I get older, I find I like 19th century novels more and more. There's something solid about them. Less disposable. And yet, they feel warm and comfortable. I feel I should be wearing a dressing gown and slippers and smoking a pipe.

BTW, it's a hardcover Everyman's Library edition, with its own ribbon bookmark. That's the way to do Dickens!

message 40: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I started The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø. I like him, but I'm just not in the mood right now. I want to stay in 19th century England.

message 41: by Janet (last edited May 24, 2015 03:53PM) (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I am reading Life After Life but finding it incredibly boring, although I'm determined to finish it this time.
Also started Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption so that I have a back-up for when I can't take anymore.

message 42: by Sloan (new)

Sloan | 11 comments I'm about halfway through The Martian and while most of the science is waaaay over my head, it is fascinating and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

message 43: by Sloan (new)

Sloan | 11 comments Oh and I just finished What Remains by Carole Radziwell it was an amazing, beautifully written book. Highly recommend!

message 44: by Sloan (new)

Sloan | 11 comments Oh and I just finished What Remains by Carole Radziwell it was an amazing, beautifully written book. Highly recommend!

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Eric wrote: "I'm reading Bleak House.

As I get older, I find I like 19th century novels more and more. There's something solid about them. Less disposable. And yet, they feel wa..."

Eric, How is Bleak House? I tried to read this in college for my 19th Century British Novels course and every time I picked it up I fell asleep. (I used Cliff Notes to pass the test :)) should I try again ( I loved Great Expectations and The Tale of Two Cities). Thanks

message 46: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
The beginning chapter describes the tedium of a court case that's gone on for 50 years. Once you get past that, it's smooth sailing, with the usual endearing Dickens characters.

message 47: by Jody (new)

Jody (josephinegood) | 7 comments Janet wrote: "I am reading Life After Life but finding it incredibly boring, although I'm determined to finish it this time.
Also started [book:Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption|20342..."

Oh whew! I'm also finding Life After Life a bit boring! I feel I have to continue because so many love it, but keep returning to other books. I'm finding Tracy Kidder's Strength in What Remains compelling!

message 48: by Andreas_55 (new)

Andreas_55 | 9 comments Karen wrote: "Andreas_55 wrote: "Reading now "H is for Hawk" by Helen Macdonald. It's just a wonderful book. After this I will either start with "Cutting for Stone " or a non fiction title."

I recommend Cutting..."

Started to read it now, and after I finished two chapter I must say I really like this book.

message 49: by Readnponder (new)

Readnponder | 125 comments Eric wrote: "I'm reading Bleak House.

As I get older, I find I like 19th century novels more and more. There's something solid about them. Less disposable. And yet, they feel wa..."

Eric -- I would love to hear your thoughts on Bleak House from an attorney's perspective.

message 50: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Thanks, but the separation of 160 years and an ocean may not give me enough perspective to comment knowledgeably.

« previous 1