What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Spine Tinglers
This topic is about Spine Tinglers
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A Spooky children's book from the Late 70's/80's [s]

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by (shan) Littlebookcove (last edited May 05, 2015 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) hi guy's,

I've been looking for this book for years!! It was made in the 1980's or 1970s and was a book about children's spooky tales it was a UK maybe USA book I think? It wasn't scary tales to tell in the dark. But the artwork was fantastic. The tales I recall from it were.
A old woman who found a toe in some bean plants and then found 3 graves with skinny men in them.
A boy who was sleeping on a pillow of bread.
and a candle alone in a room.
and a ghost couple walking in a country lane.

The ending had some kids and an old man walking up an old tower and then a picture of a creepy zombie woman in her grave smoking.

For life of me I can't remember the name of the book! could anyone help me?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina | 15 comments Oh my gosh I know what book this is and it's going to drive me nuts trying to remember what it's called!

message 3: by Cat (last edited May 06, 2015 09:29PM) (new)

Cat  | 132 comments Could it be
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
The first story in this is called 'The Big Toe'

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) hey catherine, No it wasn't because the arts all wrong it was in color. and christine Yayayay!!! finally i just can't remember i remember the tales the artwork but not the name of the book it's driving me crazy. just honestly hoping someone can help because This book holds so much good childhood memories for me.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Could it be a sequel to scary stories to tell in the dark? There were a few.

message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
This is a long shot guess, but: Whistle in the Graveyard?

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) no it's none of them. the book graphics were in color. it was a little book too like those ladybird books I think.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) I'll try and hunt down the sqeruals to the scary tales but I don't think it was any of them it might be though

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) I just want to say thankyou very much for help given me to ppl that replied to my post thankyou xx

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Keep looking. Sometimes it can take awhile before the right person reads your post at the right time.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) I will do kate I've been looking on goodreads but still no joy. :(

message 12: by Jancee (new)

Jancee Tabacnic (janceetabacnic) | 7 comments Could it potentially be either Tales for the Midnight Hour (1977) by J.B. Stamper or Short and Shivery (1989) by Robert San Souci?

Here's a list of children's scary story collections. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) Heys Jancee sadly it wasn't any of those two it had poems in it too! i'll take a peek at that list though just in case! thankyou so much for replying :)

message 14: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Veale | 2 comments Its called Spine Tinglers.

Was searching for it online and came across this thread. Sorry it's a year too late!

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Harriet wrote: "Its called Spine Tinglers.

Was searching for it online and came across this thread. Sorry it's a year too late!"

Harriet, who is the author?

message 16: by Sirvantes (last edited Jul 13, 2016 06:19PM) (new)

Sirvantes | 93 comments Bruce Coville's Book of Spine Tinglers: Tales to Make You Shiver ?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 14, 2016 04:51AM) (new)

This could also be the one Harriet was thinking:
Spine Tinglers chosen by Zenka Woodward This one says poetry in the original title field. pub 1983

Here is a google search that shows you the cover image
https://www.google.com/search?q=ladyb...

This internet page has a photo of "The Hairy Toe" story (near the bottom) http://youreournarcissus.blogspot.com...

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
^
Definitely seems to be (shan) Littlebookcove's book.

message 20: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Veale | 2 comments https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=...

Yes, here's a link to it on amazon.

Freaky book!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

sent PM

message 22: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments So, is this solved?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

That's why I sent the PM. the OP needs to let us know.

message 24: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments Oh, thank you. I was wondering if either of the last two were correct, because it sounds interesting.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) Omg wow yes! Harret! Its the one! This is the book of my childhood i cant even thankyou enough if i could i would hug you! I dont even have words but wow for you to name it is amazeing this thread is solved xx

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2016 05:47PM) (new)

Hi :) Just to be clear, is it the one by Zenka Woodward or Bruce Coville?

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) It was by Zenka woodward. Corinne Thankyou so much!