YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
This topic is about A Torch Against the Night
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > An Ember In The Ashes Series by Sabaa Tahir - Reading from 'A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2)' from July 20th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Tati | 10171 comments "AN EMBER IN THE ASHES is a thought-provoking, heart-wrenching and pulse-pounding read. Set in a rich, high-fantasy world with echoes of ancient Rome, it tells the story of a slave fighting for her family and a young soldier fighting for his freedom.

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself."

Bri and I will be reading this! Feel free to join!

Alis (books-and-ashes) Just finished Part 1 Chapter 4: Elias (view spoiler)

Tati | 10171 comments Part I Chapter I

(view spoiler)

Tati | 10171 comments 8%

(view spoiler)

Tati | 10171 comments Done!

GOsh, (view spoiler)

What really frustrates me is that there is no word yet on a sequel, as Penguin only bought the rights for one book...

message 6: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Hi Tati and Bri, mind if I join you guys? I just started it :)

Tati | 10171 comments Of course not! I've finished already, but I'll discuss it with you

message 8: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 9: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments What do you think of the book, Tati? I'm on my phone so I cannot see how many stars you give it.

message 10: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 11: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments I gave it 5 stars, Rachmi, I think my first 5 stars rating this year.

As for what you said about chapter 7, I agree with you! In fact, I thought there several similarities between the world building and Ancient Rome and Greece

message 12: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Whoa 5 stars! This book is one of my 2015 most antisipated books, so I have high hope with it. I'm counting on you with this one :D I've already had 2 5-stars worthy so far, The Ocean at the End of the Land by Neil Gaiman and Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor, but they aren't 2015 books. You can say I haven't read 5-stars book of 2015 :)

I just realize that Tahir was inspired with Ancient Rome, I think that's why we that that feeling.

message 13: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments *we have that feeling (sorry typo :D)

message 14: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments I really enjoyed it! And it's tough for a book to get 5 stars from me LOL

Thankfully, Penguin ended buying the next book, so this is going to have a sequel!

message 15: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Tati wrote: "I really enjoyed it! And it's tough for a book to get 5 stars from me LOL

Thankfully, Penguin ended buying the next book, so this is going to have a sequel!"

Haha, I usually don't give 5 stars easily too! But then if come from my favorite authors, I tend to be bias lol. And Neil Gaiman and Laini Taylor are among my favorite authors.

message 17: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 36 (view spoiler)

message 19: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beginning of chapter 41 (view spoiler)

message 20: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beginning of chapter 41 [spoilers removed]"

Those Augurs are a creepy lot!

message 21: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 41 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Tatiiiiiii, I'm in love with the book! Just finished it and now I'm dizzy from this book hangover. It's already pass 2 am while I have to wake up at 5.15 am, I guess it makes me dizzy too lol.

message 23: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments Hah!! See? I was the same, this book just left me empty...

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83330 comments Mod
Tati wrote: "8%

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

up to chapter 25 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Sarah wrote: "up to chapter 25 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Rachmi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "up to chapter 25 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Rachmi (new) - added it

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Sarah wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "up to chapter 25 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Rachmi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "up to chapter 25 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

chapter 32 (view spoiler)

89% (view spoiler)

91% (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Sorry guys for joining late .. I was intrigued by all the positive feedback for this and decided to get it :)

Part 1: chapter 2 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ wrote: "Sorry guys for joining late .. I was intrigued by all the positive feedback for this and decided to get it :)

Part 1: chapter 2 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter XXI: Laia (view spoiler)

Things are getting really interesting and I don't want to stop reading

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ wrote: "Chapter XXI: Laia [spoilers removed]

Things are getting really interesting and I don't want to stop reading"

(view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 30: Elias (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Ending (view spoiler)

I am really glad the publishers went for a sequel :)

I'm glad there's going to be a sequel too. (view spoiler)

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting June 15th 2014. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 41: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 1613 comments Can I join this one? :)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Sibil wrote: "Can I join this one? :)"

Of course!

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapters 1-13: (view spoiler)

message 44: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 1613 comments Thank you! :) I'm so excited about this book! I'll get started this evening! *__*

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapters 14-26: (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapters 27-39: (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapters 40-end: (view spoiler)

message 48: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 1613 comments chapters 1-7 (view spoiler)

message 49: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 1613 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapters 1-13: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

chapter 8-15 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 1613 comments chapter 16-21 (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.