Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Help! I Need An Intervention > Why can't I get over my assassin heroes?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I don't know what my damage is, but I just love assassins. Please explain to me why I can't get over them?

Does anyone else have a similar fixation?

In real life, I'm not a violent person at all!

message 2: by Endera (new)

Endera | 16 comments I totally understand your fixation I had one myself assassin's are just cool and hot. It adds to their sex appeal the fact that they are lethal.

message 3: by Endera (new)

Endera | 16 comments Oh and don't fight it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
That makes me feel better that it's not just me, Endera. It's a break from reality, for sure.

I'm not saying I would ever want an assassin boyfriend in real life though. That would be no. :)

message 5: by Endera (new)

Endera | 16 comments You should try Rucker Shays On The Edge Of Love it's amazebos

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 85 comments I love them too! I tend to lean towards the mob stories. There is something delicious about a well written made man. Lol

Endera wrote: "You should try Rucker Shays On The Edge Of Love it's amazebos"

My friends have highly rated it. It seems like it might be a bit too edgy for me. I don't like erotic content (anal, BDSM).

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 25 comments @Danielle, have you read Otherwise Alone (Evan Arden, #1) by Shay Savage ? I've heard good things about it.

message 9: by Karla (new)

Karla Glad you brought this up! I love assassins as well, especially heroes from the PNR and UF genre. Any recommendations?

message 10: by Varied Books (new)

Varied Books (variedbooks) | 7 comments I love them too but it's a No for me if he abuses the h.

message 11: by Varied Books (new)

Varied Books (variedbooks) | 7 comments I love them too but it's a No for me if he abuses the h.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments I appreciate all the recs. But Danielle wondered why she was so attracted to them. I would like to hear if anyone has any theories about our attraction to them.

Are they just super bad boys? Is it the weapons? Their control? I'm just thinking.

message 13: by Renegade ♥ (last edited Oct 15, 2015 04:28PM) (new)

Renegade ♥ (renegadeheart) | 27 comments Andrea wrote: "I appreciate all the recs. But Danielle wondered why she was so attracted to them. I would like to hear if anyone has any theories about our attraction to them.

Are they just super bad boys? Is i..."

There are probably so many reasons behind the attraction we could examine it endlessly. I think it's all those things you've listed and more! *smile*

For example, it provides that whole sex and death combo that so many find appealing right? The assassin has to be smart, cool, calm, collected, trained, dangerous, and in many ways, play God. He's extremely powerful, removed and focused on achieving the goal for whatever the reason, ethics (for the most part at least) be damned.

He ultimately decides whether people live or die. Or he works for people who decide and then he carries it out - but he can often turn on them, too, given the right incentive. Plus there's the question of what lies behind the decision to become a killer in the first place. Immediately intriguing.

What's his past? Why is he like this? Who has he killed? What's his thought process? How does he view death?

And then you've got those story lines where the heroine is the target and the author has to convince you that this hardass killer is going to fall in love. I mean, it just blows all the rules out the window. What happens when this dangerous man falls in love with the heroine? When the author has often set it up in such a way as to leave the reader questioning whether he is capable of love at all? So now this powerful man who is hard enough to blow people away for a living is irrevocably altered in some way, shape or form by his affection and emotions for another human being. How's he going to deal with that? How are they going to overcome the inevitable obstacles that face them as a couple? Chances are pretty good he wasn't looking for love...

And that is, arguably, romantic crack at its best!

Because how is that really going to work?

We want to be shown how that's possible! It's right up there with the vampires and/or any other dangerous, frightening, emotionally unavailable type characters. Because what makes her so special, what makes her the one, that this man who is removed from societal expectations to such a degree, wants to actually be involved? What's going to stop him from killing her but love? And is that even enough? Especially if he doesn't recognize what he's feeling as such?

And not only that, but there's the aspect of knowing that loving this heroine puts her at risk because of the life he leads. She becomes his vulnerability. What's he willing to do for her? To protect her from the life he's living?

Kill for her? Die for her?

Oh yeah! Swoon! *LOL!*

He's potentially the anti-hero knight in killer armour, who might save the princess and pretty much annihilate everyone else. I think part of the appeal is the transformation aspect, that love can change him if only with regard to her.

Just read Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1) by J.A. Redmerski and Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2) by J.A. Redmerski so this topic is fresh for me.

Can you tell? *grin*

message 14: by Endera (new)

Endera | 16 comments Daniel wrote: 'I don't like erotic content'
Well I don't really think there is really any anal in it and it isn't hard core bondage either there might be one scene where one of the people are tied up. It isn't a light read though so I would suggest you don't read it before bed because you won't get your head to shut up. Just read a sample and you ll be like it's worth every penny.

message 15: by Endera (new)

Endera | 16 comments I spelled your name wrong Danielle sorry spell check.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments Renee wrote: "...There are probably so many reasons behind the attraction we could examine it endlessly. I think it's all those things you've listed and more! *smile*
..."

Excellent answer, Renee. I think you hit on a lot of my own points. These assassins are so hard-ass. It just makes me melt to see them break down.

I thought I'd add one of my own rec's too. Code Name: Papa Code Name Papa by Aliyah Burke was excellent.