The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2015 May Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Since May is “Get Caught Reading Month” this month’s challenge is simple: read a book— any book you like, about anything at all. Have fun!

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Love it!

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Remember in school in literature class when the teacher would say write about anything at all? You would whine all the other times about the topic chosen and then on this one you couldn't thing of anything at all to write about? Well, that's certainly NOT a problem with this challenge! And I don't have to worry about if I can fit the book I'm reading to the challenge! HOORAY!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Yay! Read a book!! Good idea for busy May. Thanks.

message 5: by Debbie (last edited May 07, 2015 06:28AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr will be my book for May. At least it will if I get my way ... and (cough, cough) (faking a Scarlett O'Hara accent) Ah am accustomed to havin' mah way!

message 6: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 108 comments The funniest book I read this month was LA Theater Works production of "The Liar. " I have enjoyed checking out several other of their productions from the library and have not been disappointed with the quality of the performances or the plays they have selected.
"The Liar," is a comic romance written in the mid-1600's. It is still funny today.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments I have finished my first book of the month. I read Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Becky wrote: "Yay! Read a book!! Good idea for busy May. Thanks."

I want to read this one this month also.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 390 comments I read Princess in Disguise the other day and I'm a little more than half-way through Gemini, which is one of the Reader's Choice.

message 11: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments I finished The Lady and the Minstrel by Joyce DiPastena and Stranded by Nathan Huffaker. Both are excellent.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Debbie wrote: "I have finished my first book of the month. I read Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey."

And now I've finished my second book: Sixth Column by Robert Heinlein. I'm also progressing well in the newest Pulitzer Fiction winner.

message 13: by Donna (last edited May 04, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

Donna | 72 comments I have been a "lurker" for awhile. I read a lot and I love talking about books.

So far this month, I've read:
A Prisoner of Birth (I am a huge fan of Jeffrey Archer)
Everybody's Got Something by Robin Roberts
Die Easy by Zoë Sharp
Two Testaments by Elizabeth Musser
Home Fires by Lois Greiman

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Congrats Linda!

message 15: by Ssawyer (new)

Ssawyer | 14 comments My first book this month is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I just finished Skirmishes last weekend. It's the latest book in a science fiction series I've been following.

message 17: by Debbie (last edited May 07, 2015 06:28AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Debbie wrote: "I have finished my first book of the month. I read Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. And the second: Sixth Column by Robert Heinlein. I..."

Now for my third: A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories by Anne McCaffrey. Plus, I'm moving along well in the original book I plan to read for this month!

message 18: by Debbie (last edited May 07, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Could we have the announcement for the winner of a month, and the congrats for it, go back into the month of the challenge? It is such an appropriate finishing for each month, and easy to find -- just look at the end. I've noticed that the number of congratulations messages have dropped severely. Maybe others, as do I, feel uncomfortable taking up space for something that detracts from the challenge of the current month. IN ADDITION (as if I haven't spouted enough), if you miss the announcement of the winner, it is so easy to find in the month of the challenge and much harder to find in the current month's challenge. Thanks. If you agree, or disagree, please mention so.

message 19: by Ssawyer (new)

Ssawyer | 14 comments Debbie wrote: "Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Could we have the announcement for the winner..."

I agree with Debbie on this - the announcement should be on the same month challenge page.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments A Girl Named Zippy
Letters of a Woman Homesteader

Both of those were super short reads and I enjoyed both of them so much. They were both nonfiction.

I also enjoyed Hangman by Stephan Talty. It had great suspense.

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier. Liked the author more than this story.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - not my kind of book.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health - sounded similar to Atkins

A Blind Goddess - love historical fiction

message 21: by Debbie (last edited May 10, 2015 08:21PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Debbie wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I have finished Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey, Sixth Column by Robert Heinlein, and A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories by Anne McCaffrey."

I have finished Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey. I bet you are sensing a pattern, eh? Of these, all except A Gift of Dragons are audio books. Which are pretty speedy to finish.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Right now I'm listening to Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives, an excellent practical application book on how to form habits, which takes into consideration different personality types and personal preferences. I really appreciate the individualized approach when so many books like these are more one-size-fits-all.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments So far this month, I have read Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History, Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began, (both great graphic novels, a new way to read about the Holocaust), Station Eleven (great writing), and Farewell, Dorothy Parker (light, fun). Next up, The Dead Lands.

message 24: by Debbie (last edited May 14, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments "Debbie wrote: "I have finished Dragonsong, A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories, and Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey, Sixth Column by Robert Heinlein."

Now I've finished The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein, yet another audio book. And another pattern!

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments Believe: A Horseman's Journey - good if you like horses

The Winter King - by Bernard Cornwell: not my favorite

That's That: A Memoir by Colin Broderick: Loved the writing in this. It was great.

Season of Fear by Brian Freeman: it was okay. I feel like I need to read another book by him to get a feel for him and his writing style.

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks: Like the author more than the story

message 26: by Debbie (last edited May 16, 2015 11:15AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Books I've read this month (I'm not doing "reply" any more, this way is easier):

From Anne McCaffrey I've read:
Dragonsong (audio)
A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories
Dragonsinger (audio)

From Robert Heinlein I've read:
Sixth Column (audio)
The Puppet Masters (audio)

My latest book to finish is Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes, The Newbery winner for 1952.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I've just started reading a couple fun science fiction books The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold and The Fortress in Orion by Mick Resnick. Both are full of action and entertaining characters.

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I just finished The Secret Piano about China's "Cultural Revolution". Very interesting story.

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments I just read Tidewater Sisters by Lisa Wingate. It is online only but good if you have read her other books.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Since I am relatively new to this, what did I win?

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments Debbie wrote: "Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Could we have the announcement for the winner..."

Linda wrote: "Ann wrote: "Linda is our prize drawing winner for April’s reading challenge. She read The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater."

Since I am relatively new to this, what did I...

I agree with putting the name of the winner in the month of the challenge in addition to the following month. I just barely found out I won. Or put it in the same e mail as the challenge of the month.

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Books I've read this month (I'm not doing "reply" any more, this way is easier):

Dragonsong (audio)
Dragonsinger (audio)

Sixth Column (audio)

Newberry winners (yes, another pattern)
Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes

My latest book to finish is The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, the Newbery winner for 2013.

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments I just read:

Sergeant Stubby: How a Stray Dog and His Best Friend Helped Win World War I and Stole the Heart of a Nation --only 3 stars

House Blood - 3 stars again

The Sixth Shotgun - my first ever Louis L'Amour book and I actually liked it.

Destroying Angel - cyberpunk is not my thing, but I actually liked this...probably because it was a mystery.

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces - interesting concept

Epitaph - enjoyable Historical Fiction

message 34: by Debbie (last edited May 21, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Dragonsong (audio)
Dragonsinger (audio)

Sixth Column (audio)

Newberry winners
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

My latest book to finish is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, the Pulitzer Fiction winner for 2015. Finally I have finished the book that I said at the beginning of the challenge was the book I wanted to read for this challenge.

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 13 comments I am almost finished both reading and listening to a book called A Hundred-foot Journey by Richard Morais. It is about a young Indian born boy who has a inborn talent for becoming a great Chef. He moves with his family to France where most of the story takes place. This is a delightful book of colliding cultures as well as descriptions of Indian and French cooking. I loved listening to the story and not only reading it, because young Hassan's father speaks with an Indian accent and Famous French Chef with French accent. I highly recommend it.

message 36: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments This month I've read:
Stranded - Nathan Huffaker\
The Perfect Fool - Bethany Zohner Herbert
Love's Deception - Kelly Nelson
The Lady and the Minstrel - Joyce DiPastena
Behold Your Little Ones - Toni Sorensen Brown
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing To Do - Eileen Christolow
What Took You So Long - Pamela S. Williams

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Dragonsong (audio)
Dragonsinger (audio)

Sixth Column (audio)

Newberry winners:
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Other:
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

My latest book to finish is Ghosts of Alcatraz and Other Hauntings of the West by Suzanne Garbe.

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I just started Sabotaged, by Dani Pettrey, the latest book in the Alaskan Courage series-- a fun light suspense/mystery series that features a different sibling in each book.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I also read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and The Dead Lands, both good reads.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I read, or listened to, several books this month, my favorite being "A Fall of Marigolds" by Susan Meissner. 5 Star book!

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Jackie wrote: "I read, or listened to, several books this month, my favorite being "A Fall of Marigolds" by Susan Meissner. 5 Star book!"

Come on, Jackie. The rest of us have listed all we read. What all did you read? Inquiring minds want to know!

message 44: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments This month I've read "Yolanda's Genius," "Mountain Dog," and "William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope."

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments False Impression - one of my favorite authors

The Disappeared - didn't care for this one

Shatter - 3 stars

The Silenced - loved his characters

Missing You - another one of my fav. authors

House Odds - meh

Since I am a newbie to this challenge, I see that some of you list every book read in every post. Is that a personal thing or is it required? If its required, I can repost.

message 46: by Ssawyer (new)

Ssawyer | 14 comments Donna wrote: "False Impression - one of my favorite authors

The Disappeared - didn't care for this one

Shatter - 3 stars

The Silenced - loved his c..."

Hi Donna, This month's challenge was "to read a book" so some of us decided to list all of the books we read this month. We usually just post the books that meet the challenge for the month!

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments Thanks Ssawyer. I appreciate the info.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Ssawyer wrote: "Here are my books for May. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Emma: A Modern Retelling
Numbers Game
Lady Emma's Campaign
[book:The La..."

How did you like "Emma"? I really like Alexander McCall Smith.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Debbie wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I read, or listened to, several books this month, my favorite being "A Fall of Marigolds" by Susan Meissner. 5 Star book!"

Come on, Jackie. The rest of us have listed all we read. W..."

OK. I am willing to share, but some of the titles are long, and I don't know if I can figure out the copy and paste, so I was lazy and just listed one.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society

A Fall of Marigolds

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)

Every Living Thing

Sorry, technically challenged, but there they are! :)

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Debbie wrote: "Books I've read this month (I'm not doing "reply" any more, this way is easier):

Dragonsong (audio)
A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories..."

I loved "The One and Only Ivan". Such a sweet and sad story.

« previous 1