Start by marking “False Impression” as Want to Read:
False Impression

False Impression

When an aristocratic old lady is brutally murdered in her country home the night before 9/11, it takes all the resources of the FBI and Interpol to work out the connection between her and the possible motive for her death – a priceless Van Gogh painting. It’s a young woman in the North Tower when the first plane crashed into the building who has the courage and determinati ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about False Impression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Impression

Start your review of False Impression
Sneha Khatri
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JA at his best. I loved this book and completed it in a record less time. I was completely hooked and it was unputdownable. Looking forward to reading more of JA.
Anshuman Tiwari
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is my second book from Jeffrey Archer(after Kane and Abel)
Well, I didn't like this one. It has a simple plot, and the story moves as one would expect. Well if the plot is simple one would look for different aspects. There was hardly any philosophy, dialogue writing was not very good. At points I felt every character knows about every other character. That's because they were able to think like each other.
The only thing that liked was how the author bring these characters against each other
Donna
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I steer clear of books rated below 3.7 on GR. I tend to trust the masses. So when I saw this book by one of my faves and it had a lower rating than I like, I was intrigued to give it a go. I can't say I was too surprised when this started out as a solid 1 star and all I could think was, "How am I going to give one of my favorite authors a 1 star rating?" Thankfully it picks it. I ended up liking this. I love how his mind works and how he translates that on to a page.

I enjoy the characters that
Pamela
I picked up this mystery/suspense novel from my favorite Friends of the Library Bookstore. It was a good bang for a buck. Entertaining, interesting, and compellingly readable. I learned a good bit about the art-world and its collectors. Of which, can be competitively manic and cutthroat. And I thought the cat-n-mouse plot, though somewhat fancifully imagined, was quite globetrotting exciting.

However, there were a few flies in the paint. I experienced some seriously ludicrous eye-rolling moments
Benjamin Thomas
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Anna Petrescu is a fine art historian and expert in the field of art auctions and brokering. But when an old lady who also happens to own a priceless Van Gogh is murdered in her London estate, Anna’s boss, a banker with a questionable reputation, demands she acquire the painting for him. But history interferes in a big way as the murder takes place on the night before 9/11. What follows is a complex cat-and-mouse story filled with cons, double-crosses, and intrigue galore.

Yes, I managed to find
Richa
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Karen Field
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
False Impression is written by Jeffrey Archer. It uses the 9/11 tragedy to capture the reader’s interest, but it is mainly about conspiracies in the art world – or, if you want it in simpler terms, it’s a murder mystery.

This book didn’t compare to the other book I’ve read by the same author – As The Crow Flies – but it is still a good story, set in the real world, with believable characters. At first, I felt a bit confused with all the characters (not to mention the head hopping), but the confus
Heena Rathore P.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I usually enjoy Jeffrey Archer's books (a lot actually), but this one wasn't like his other, more well-written works. This book's writing was nothing like the writing of Sir Archer I've come to adore. So it was a lost cause for me on the writing front. The story, well to begin, it was too linear and predictable.
I had a hard time connecting to the characters; they were good and well-built, but not relatable, especially the protagonist.
As I said, the book was very, very predictable, so the only
Lucas
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first third of the book is terribly predictable. The second third picks up with more of a thriller feel as the story progresses, but unfortunately the final third reverts to its predictable ways, and the ending leaves the reader unsatisfied. The plot devices are tired and over-used, a romance is wedged forcefully into the story and the brief swearing is one-off and absolutely pointless. All in all, False Impression is a cheesy thriller whose only offering is a novelty theme, and even that wa ...more
Andrew
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable thriller, taking us on a tour across Europe and will be perfect for anyone interested in Van Gough or painters. It is also set against the backdrop of the 9/11 attacks. Jeffrey Archer does know how to tell a good story and the tension was kept up from beginning to end. Although fair to say I’ve enjoyed others of his more.
Samhita
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
With False Impression, Archer sticks to his style of writing a thrilling page turner. A quick read and a solid storyline. I did find some plot lines predictable but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fun book. It had the right amount of impressionist art history to be informative, but not enough for me to get bored of reading about Van Gogh or Monet. Reads like a Dan Brown thriller, but with an appropriate dash of the author's 'British-ness'.

Kate
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
A typical Archer story. A good read for a winter's night.
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A very interesting thriller, somewhat slow to build but with great characters, both on the good-guys side and on the villain side.
About an art historian specializing in attribution, Victoria Petrescu, whose best friend works as a secretary to a repulsive crook banker named Bryce Fenston, who specializes in extending multi-million-dollar loans to people who have fallen on hard times but have a masterpiece of art in their possession. There's an odd coincidence that many of these owners have their
Rebekah
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read many different kinds of books for different reasons. Reading this book was a lot like finding myself eating an entire bowl of pistachios during the holidays because they are sitting there in front of me and I’m trapped while talking to a bunch of relatives I don’t know very well. I didn’t really intend to eat all the pistachios, but I also didn’t find them totally disgusting.

So, it isn’t an awful, awful book, but it isn’t spectacular either... I enjoyed reading it for the most part (kinda
Andrea
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: my mom
An interesting story, relatively well-told. But I always have trouble with books that throw in details that seem like anachronisms but turn out to be merely implausibilities - did people casually snap cell phone pix or use google in 2001? - I really don't want to have to pull myself out of the story to look stuff like that up on the internet; I want to trust the author. I also have trouble with British authors attempting to write American dialog - sometimes, they just don't "get" it, again pulli ...more
Marca
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Archer writes the best soaps. This one, a stand-alone, involves a painting by Van Gogh, the family that owns the painting, an evil banker, and an art expert who, at first, seems out of her milieu in dealing with dastardly banker. Throw in 9-11 and you’ve got a roller coaster ride that takes you from New York to the UK to Europe and Japan. The novel starts with evil banker firing the art expert because she advised the Van Gogh owner against the banker’s interest. Just as she is leaving he ...more
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
An entertaining if somewhat cheesy, yet cleverly written, mystery cum thriller by this well-known author. He seems to put his plots together seamlessly while at the same time showing (off? - I can't help but feel) a good knowledge of wide-ranging subjects. In this case it covers the art world, travel in Europe, the UK and Japan with believable and likeable characters, albeit the assassin is always (implausibly) 'THE’ best in the business with myriad attributes to her competencies.

I needed a ligh
R D Mathur
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey Archer is a magician with words. This one particularly is so interesting that I could not keep my Kindle down till I finished it. Great book.
Benedita
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love JA. Finished this one in record time
Apoorva Bapat
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On Backdrop of 9/11 attacks, this book creates a chasing drama that kept me awake at night. Having read this book in Marathi and English, I think I remember almost every twist and turn. Since I am not an art enthusiast, people's obsession over paintings remains an amusing factor for me. But overall I liked the character development and pace of the story.
RAVINDER KAUR
It is finely written thriller novel. However, I found the plot too simple.
Th most admirable thing about the novel is the day wise division of the book which makes it reader friendly. However, more punch could have been added to the book.
Hannah Fenner
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't have high hopes for this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was well paced and easy to read.
My only negative is that I felt the ending felt a bit rushed.
But overall I enjoyed reading this.
Brendan
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010
I used to read Jeffrey Archer quite a bit. The first book of his I remember really enjoying was As The Crow Flies, a monumental family saga with plenty of legal and personal machinations. What I remember about Archer's books is that he's really good at writing characters you just hate and thus heroes whom you really want to win. False Impression uses these same tricks.

The novel tells the story of a villainous banker whose shady practices work to rob wealthy people of their famous art works. When
Toni Osborne
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this thriller, the author brings his readers along with his protagonist Anna Petrescu on a chase around the world from New York during the tragic events of 9/11, to England, Romania, Hong Kong and Japan. The novel combines criminal conspiracy, a Van Gogh, a ruthless assassin, a Romanian art expert and Bryce Fenston an opportunistic and ruthless banker.

The story is quite exciting, slow at start but maintains a steady pace throughout. It opens with the prospective sale of an original Van Gogh a
Jyv
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Fran Macilvey
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"False Impression" by Jeffrey Archer

I found this book by accident, and am very glad I did. It contains some of the most exciting scenes I have read recently, and combines action, drama and cleverness to make a most satisfying read. I've thought about it often since I finished it, wishing I could find another as good.

The only slight reservation I have - and it is very slight - is the peculiar deference paid to members of the well-heeled aristocracy, which does not quite tip into outright obsequi
Jan
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Jan by: Jeanette
This book was a little confusing at the beginning, because of all the name dropping. I had to take notes, and filled up a page, which I referred back to many times as I worked my way through the complicated story. There were so many characters whose names would pop up and I'd wonder 'who on earth is that person ?', then find their name in my notes.
It's a complicated story, and yet, hard to put down. It definitely kept my interest.
Most of my questions were answered by the end of the book~with a
Callum G
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Whilst this work isn't so much about the 9/11 incident, as the cover would lead you to believe, it is still a good book. It's primarily about the art world, and I love books that subtly educate so that's a big tick for me. The characters were interesting and well developed, better than some other Archer novels. The plot let the story down a little however, the murder mystery feel was great, but some plot essential twists were based on things that were unbelievable. As well as this, a lot of the ...more
Patricia Ibarra
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
False Impression takes us to a fast-paced journey from New York to London, Bucharest, Tokyo and England to discover the mystery of the coveted Van Gogh's painting, Self-portrait with bandaged ear. Romanian-born Anna Petrescu, who holds a PhD. in art history, has to solve financial pressures that threaten her family estate into bankruptcy for the outstanding debt with Fenston Finance. FBI agent Jack Delaney starts investigating the murder of Anna's sister and unraveling the plot against her. The ...more
Joan
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A murder mystery involving Van Gogh’s final painting, Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear, plays out around the horror of September 11th as a gymnast-turned hit-woman and a murderous financier face an intrepid heroine in a swiftly-moving, twisty plot that draws in readers and offers a few unexpected reveals in a largely predictable tale.

Details about art treasures add depth to the plot and, at the same time, informs and enlightens readers who may not be conversant with the business of art while wea

• Dark Angel
  • The Burma Legacy
  • Shadow Hunter
  • Java Spider
  • Jacquot and the Angel (Daniel Jacquot, #3)
  • Eagle Trap
  • The Citizen (Storycuts)
  • Scorpion Trail
  • Skydancer
  • The Guardians
  • Jackie Kabler Book 2
  • Camino Winds
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married