Start by marking “False Impression” as Want to Read:
False Impression

False Impression

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  13,724 Ratings  ·  797 Reviews
When an aristocratic old lady is brutally murdered in her country home the night before 9/11, it takes all the resources of the FBI and Interpol to work out the connection between her and the possible motive for her death – a priceless Van Gogh painting. It’s a young woman in the North Tower when the first plane crashed into the building who has the courage and determinati ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about False Impression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Impression

Sneha Khatri
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JA at his best. I loved this book and completed it in a record less time. I was completely hooked and it was unputdownable. Looking forward to reading more of JA.
Donna
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I steer clear of books rated below 3.7 on GR. I tend to trust the masses. So when I saw this book by one of my faves and it had a lower rating than I like, I was intrigued to give it a go. I can't say I was too surprised when this started out as a solid 1 star and all I could think was, "How am I going to give one of my favorite authors a 1 star rating?" Thankfully it picks it. I ended up liking this. I love how his mind works and how he translates that on to a page.

I enjoy the characters that
Anshuman Tiwari
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is my second book from Jeffrey Archer(after Kane and Abel)
Well, I didn't like this one. It has a simple plot, and the story moves as one would expect. Well if the plot is simple one would look for different aspects. There was hardly any philosophy, dialogue writing was not very good. At points I felt every character knows about every other character. That's because they were able to think like each other.
The only thing that liked was how the author bring these characters against each other
Heena Rathore P.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I usually enjoy Jeffrey Archer's books (a lot actually), but this one wasn't like his other, more well-written works. This book's writing was nothing like the writing of Sir Archer I've come to adore. So it was a lost cause for me on the writing front. The story, well to begin, it was too linear and predictable.
I had a hard time connecting to the characters; they were good and well-built, but not relatable, especially the protagonist.
As I said, the book was very, very predictable, so the only
Richa
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Karen Field
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
False Impression is written by Jeffrey Archer. It uses the 9/11 tragedy to capture the reader’s interest, but it is mainly about conspiracies in the art world – or, if you want it in simpler terms, it’s a murder mystery.

This book didn’t compare to the other book I’ve read by the same author – As The Crow Flies – but it is still a good story, set in the real world, with believable characters. At first, I felt a bit confused with all the characters (not to mention the head hopping), but the confus
Pamela
I picked up this mystery/suspense novel from my favorite Friends of the Library Bookstore. It was a good bang for a buck. Entertaining, interesting, and compellingly readable. I learned a good bit about the art-world and its collectors. Of which, can be competitively manic and cutthroat. And I thought the cat-n-mouse plot, though somewhat fancifully imagined, was quite globetrotting exciting.

However, there were a few flies in the paint. I experienced some seriously ludicrous eye-rolling moments
Lucas
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first third of the book is terribly predictable. The second third picks up with more of a thriller feel as the story progresses, but unfortunately the final third reverts to its predictable ways, and the ending leaves the reader unsatisfied. The plot devices are tired and over-used, a romance is wedged forcefully into the story and the brief swearing is one-off and absolutely pointless. All in all, False Impression is a cheesy thriller whose only offering is a novelty theme, and even that wa ...more
Andrew
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable thriller, taking us on a tour across Europe and will be perfect for anyone interested in Van Gough or painters. It is also set against the backdrop of the 9/11 attacks. Jeffrey Archer does know how to tell a good story and the tension was kept up from beginning to end. Although fair to say I’ve enjoyed others of his more.
Tol21
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To αίνιγμα του Βαν Γκογκ...
Ο τίτλος του βιβλίου είναι παραπλανητικός: Περίμενα ότι έχει να κάνει με κάποιο κρυμμένο μήνυμα ή γρίφο στον πίνακα του Ολλανδού ζωγράφου. Το ότι ο συγγραφέας τοποθέτησε την τρομακτική επίθεση της 11ης Σεπτεμβρίου στην Νέα Υόρκη ήταν περιττό χωρίς να υπάρχει ιδιαίτερος λόγος. Απλά με αυτό, ήθελε να κεντρίσει το ενδιαφέρον του αναγνώστη στην αρχή του βιβλίου. Πάντως, όλο το βιβλίο είχε να κάνει με ανθρωποκυνηγητό μεταξύ των πρωταγωνιστών για το ποιος θα προλάβει τον πίν
Stacy
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Compelling
Samhita
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
With False Impression, Archer sticks to his style of writing a thrilling page turner. A quick read and a solid storyline. I did find some plot lines predictable but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fun book. It had the right amount of impressionist art history to be informative, but not enough for me to get bored of reading about Van Gogh or Monet. Reads like a Dan Brown thriller, but with an appropriate dash of the author's 'British-ness'.

Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A very interesting thriller, somewhat slow to build but with great characters, both on the good-guys side and on the villain side.
About an art historian specializing in attribution, Victoria Petrescu, whose best friend works as a secretary to a repulsive crook banker named Bryce Fenston, who specializes in extending multi-million-dollar loans to people who have fallen on hard times but have a masterpiece of art in their possession. There's an odd coincidence that many of these owners have their
Andrea
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: my mom
An interesting story, relatively well-told. But I always have trouble with books that throw in details that seem like anachronisms but turn out to be merely implausibilities - did people casually snap cell phone pix or use google in 2001? - I really don't want to have to pull myself out of the story to look stuff like that up on the internet; I want to trust the author. I also have trouble with British authors attempting to write American dialog - sometimes, they just don't "get" it, again pulli ...more
Marca
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Archer writes the best soaps. This one, a stand-alone, involves a painting by Van Gogh, the family that owns the painting, an evil banker, and an art expert who, at first, seems out of her milieu in dealing with dastardly banker. Throw in 9-11 and you’ve got a roller coaster ride that takes you from New York to the UK to Europe and Japan. The novel starts with evil banker firing the art expert because she advised the Van Gogh owner against the banker’s interest. Just as she is leaving he ...more
Wsm
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archer
I read this a while ago.The events of 9/11 are used as part of the story,in fact this is the bit I remember most about the book.Archer's description is graphic.The rest of the story,featuring murder,a Van Gogh painting and a chase across Europe,among other things, was entertaining enough without being particularly memorable.
Apoorva Bapat
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On Backdrop of 9/11 attacks, this book creates a chasing drama that kept me awake at night. Having read this book in Marathi and English, I think I remember almost every twist and turn. Since I am not an art enthusiast, people's obsession over paintings remains an amusing factor for me. But overall I liked the character development and pace of the story.
Brendan
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, fiction
I used to read Jeffrey Archer quite a bit. The first book of his I remember really enjoying was As The Crow Flies, a monumental family saga with plenty of legal and personal machinations. What I remember about Archer's books is that he's really good at writing characters you just hate and thus heroes whom you really want to win. False Impression uses these same tricks.

The novel tells the story of a villainous banker whose shady practices work to rob wealthy people of their famous art works. When
Toni Osborne
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this thriller, the author brings his readers along with his protagonist Anna Petrescu on a chase around the world from New York during the tragic events of 9/11, to England, Romania, Hong Kong and Japan. The novel combines criminal conspiracy, a Van Gogh, a ruthless assassin, a Romanian art expert and Bryce Fenston an opportunistic and ruthless banker.

The story is quite exciting, slow at start but maintains a steady pace throughout. It opens with the prospective sale of an original Van Gogh a
Barbara
 The major focus of False Impression is the ownership, theft and the difficult retrieval of a valuable Van Gogh painting. Archer began his narrative with the terrifying escape from high atop the north tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11, but does not relate this to the terrorism involved in the book. This earthshaking event was unessential to the story.

There are many twists and turns across the globe, as would be expected in an Archer novel, but suspense was thin. Much of the violence was
Rebekah
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read many different kinds of books for different reasons. Reading this book was a lot like finding myself eating an entire bowl of pistachios during the holidays because they are sitting there in front of me and I’m trapped while talking to a bunch of relatives I don’t know very well. I didn’t really intend to eat all the pistachios, but I also didn’t find them totally disgusting.

So, it isn’t an awful, awful book, but it isn’t spectacular either... I enjoyed reading it for the most part (kinda
Jyv
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Fran Macilvey
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"False Impression" by Jeffrey Archer

I found this book by accident, and am very glad I did. It contains some of the most exciting scenes I have read recently, and combines action, drama and cleverness to make a most satisfying read. I've thought about it often since I finished it, wishing I could find another as good.

The only slight reservation I have - and it is very slight - is the peculiar deference paid to members of the well-heeled aristocracy, which does not quite tip into outright obsequi
Patricia Ibarra
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
False Impression takes us to a fast-paced journey from New York to London, Bucharest, Tokyo and England to discover the mystery of the coveted Van Gogh's painting, Self-portrait with bandaged ear. Romanian-born Anna Petrescu, who holds a PhD. in art history, has to solve financial pressures that threaten her family estate into bankruptcy for the outstanding debt with Fenston Finance. FBI agent Jack Delaney starts investigating the murder of Anna's sister and unraveling the plot against her. The ...more
Jan
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Jan by: Jeanette
This book was a little confusing at the beginning, because of all the name dropping. I had to take notes, and filled up a page, which I referred back to many times as I worked my way through the complicated story. There were so many characters whose names would pop up and I'd wonder 'who on earth is that person ?', then find their name in my notes.
It's a complicated story, and yet, hard to put down. It definitely kept my interest.
Most of my questions were answered by the end of the book~with a
Callum G
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Whilst this work isn't so much about the 9/11 incident, as the cover would lead you to believe, it is still a good book. It's primarily about the art world, and I love books that subtly educate so that's a big tick for me. The characters were interesting and well developed, better than some other Archer novels. The plot let the story down a little however, the murder mystery feel was great, but some plot essential twists were based on things that were unbelievable. As well as this, a lot of the ...more
Phil
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
In the style of Dan Brown, but without the over the top villain. Oh the villain's bad, alright, just not superhuman. The story of a priceless VanGogh painting, set in New York, London, Bucharest and Tokyo, it holds your attenton, even though you know how it will end. The problem is, though, that Archer seems to get to page 500, and realizes he has to wrap it up, which he does in about five pages - all of a sudden it's over, everything's explained, and on to the next book.

Otherwise, a good read,
Jean
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
"A worthy successor to The Da Vinci Code," says Liz Smith of the New Yor Post and I agree. It is a well written mystery that keeps me turning pages. There are several characters and it is easy to keep track of all of them, because they are all interesting. The plot is will thought out - keeps one wondering to the last pages. I'd read another of Mr. Archers books based on how much I've enjoyed this one.
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book in the audio version and thought the reader did a credible job with a variety of accents. The story had a few obvious gaps that required me to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the story. Overall, it was an entertaining book that held my attention. The survival of the 9/11 attack kept me listening and I thought that was handled well. Although this was not a great book, it was a good read that held my interest until the end.
Gemma
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not awarding 5 stars based in literacy genius or novel plot, but because in terms of pure escapism I really enjoyed the book. I loved Archer's books as a teenager, even though my Dad assured me he probably paid someone to write them for him. Nevertheless, in terms of spinning a yarn, I enjoyed his books, and 20 years on I still do.
  • Mumbai Avengers
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • Gideon
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • The General
  • Against the Wind
  • Up Periscope
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Exact Revenge
  • The Hidden Target (Robert Renwick, #2)
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
“third” 1 likes
“Daugumai rimtų kolekcininkų sukeltų virpulį naujo talento atradimas mokant milžinišką sumą už pripažintą genijų.” 1 likes