Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Where do you write

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Seeley | 30 comments This question isn't mostly about help but just sharing. Where do you like to write? I turned an unused guest room upstairs to my Man Cave (Cliche, I know) where I have my favorite books, family mementos, a table where I dabble in painting watercolors, and, of course, my desk. I do most of my writing there but I appreciate the portability of my laptop. I sometimes think it would be neat to be one of those authors who writes at a table on the patio of a coffee shop or bistro while sipping wine or lattes but that really doesn't happen. Mostly, if I feel that urge and if it isn't to cold or hot I sit out in the screened-in porch at home drinking home-brewed iced tea or coffee. What works best for you - relocating from time to time or doing your writing all in one place?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Darkness. I write in absolute darkness whenever I can. I like the isolation, and shutting out the outside world, so I can be alone inside of my world with my characters. I use music to keep me in the mood I want to cover the world in. Often I used different music for the various personalities I'm writing.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
Greg wrote: "I sometimes think it would be neat to be one of those authors who writes at a table on the patio of a coffee shop or bistro while sipping wine or lattes but that really doesn't happen."

That's pretty much my favorite place to go to write - the coffee shop. But, no. No lattes. I like my coffee bold and black, nothing added.

I do write at home sometimes, but I'm not very productive here. I get too distracted with little chores and teasing the dogs and whatnot.

I also like writing at the library.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Charles wrote: "Darkness."

Cool. Back in the late eighties when I was first getting serious about writing, I was still writing by hand. For a while I was living alone. So, I would shut all the lights off in the house, except one or two candles, and write all night long.

message 5: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 194 comments Primarily my sofa, with my poor old blanket over my knees. Unsurprisingly it's covered with biro stains.

That said, I do like writing in a garden (we don't have one, sadly) or on the beach on holiday. Writing on the train's good fun, though your writing ends up illegible.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Dwayne wrote: "Charles wrote: "Darkness."

Cool. Back in the late eighties when I was first getting serious about writing, I was still writing by hand. For a while I was living alone. So, I would shut all the lig..."

I've thought about using candles. Wish I still had my blacklight setup running.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) On the sofa or out back on the patio. I have an office with a desk, squishy executive style chair, and shelves galore, but I found I can't be creative in such an environment, so that's become more of a stuff storage area.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Me and my loyal laptop typically walk a whole block to a neighborhood cafe called The Common Cup, where we fight hipsters for the privilege of a table by a wall socket.

My laptop hungers for power and tells me I suck for failing to feed it because me in my hubris likes listening to Pandora while writing.

message 9: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments In my favorite recliner with my laptop on my knees.

message 10: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
I write everywhere. I never wrote by hand, hated it in school. And I don't really like laptops, I'd rather have a pc...but these smartphones are god sends. I've written chapters from every book on it, and wrote ALL of Everyone Dies At The End on it.
So just where ever the moment strikes me.

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay Botha | 31 comments An untidy desk with a steaming cup of coffee, overlooking my animals lolling in the sun.

message 12: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Coffee shops mostly. When the weather's good enough I bicycle around town and deposit myself one place or another. Baltimore Coffee & Tea in Frederick's my usual spot, though.

I hate the music there (some damned acoustic channel on Sirius XM...ukuleles reign supreme...doesn't matter, I hate the music everywhere), but can usually find a space there and they've got the best Americanos in town. Nice people working there, too.

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Phoenix (PrincessPea87) | 12 comments I bounce between my desk in our living room where my desktop is located, to my bedroom on my laptop. I also cart my laptop everywhere. Kids playing at the park=laptop pulled out. Waiting room at the doctors office=laptop pulled out. Kids fell asleep in the car and I want to revel in the silence=laptop pulled out. You get the point. We have a local cafe that I would love to go to because I love the ambiance but it never happens with 4 under 4. LOL.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Anywhere in the house. Mostly at the kitchen table or on the couch where my girls will sit by me. It becomes quite difficult being sandwiched between two little girls and my elbows need space so I can type properly, but I make it work. Surprisingly I can still get it done and concentrate. Maybe they are my inspiration!

message 15: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
All my drafts start with hand written copies. So I usually write in bed, late at night, with a little booklight that was a gift from my husband :) And he sleeps with a mask so I don't wake him up :)

message 16: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Always at the computer where I have a word processor and and internet connection for quick research. And...it goes without saying, where I don't get interrupted.

Morris

message 17: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Kaplan | 47 comments @Dwayne:

It seems like we're on the same page, mostly. I love to write at coffee shops and occasionally the library. I have a really hard time writing at home because I get all squirrel-like there (Oh, look! SHINY!!).

The big difference is I enjoy a caramel macchiato (or however you spell that)...plenty of caffeine, sugar and yum.

I write exclusively on my laptop unless I'm suffering from writer's block--which is a fairly rare thing (knock on wood) and need a sudden change in behavior to snap me out of it.

message 18: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Everywhere. At home, at work, in the car, in the parking lot, wherever I can get a few minutes and open up my computer.

message 19: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

J.D. wrote: "It seems like we're on the same page, mostly. I love to write at coffee shops and occasionally the library."

I would say "occasionally" for the library for me, too. I would go there more, but the library in my town isn't always good at keeping people quiet. One time I could not concentrate due to two gentlemen on either side of me having a LOUD political debate. Sad when the coffee shops are quieter than the library.

message 20: by Quoleena (last edited Apr 22, 2015 10:14PM) (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) I write in my basement office on my computer. It's cold, so I'm always wrapping a blanket around me. It's not like a real dungeon. It's a finished basement. But it feels like a dungeon. Especially when I'm up after everyone's already gone to bed.

message 21: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 37 comments I like writing in the dark. Makes me somehow more connected to the characters and the story. Oh, and I need music. Certain songs are able to bring out the emotions from within...

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay Botha | 31 comments I love music as well. Whenever I write anything fantasy I love to play this song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ryJDV...

message 23: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 37 comments Kay wrote: "I love music as well. Whenever I write anything fantasy I love to play this song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ryJDV..."

OMG! I love celtic... there's just something it that makes writing flow easy...

message 24: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments My favorite place to write is outside on the balcony with my laptop balanced on my thigh so it doesn't overheat. Best time sometime after the sun's gone down and the evening noise in Houston turns from cars and the clatter of neighbor's dishes to the chirping of insects, and occasionally, the meaty flapping of bat wings. Bliss.

Barring that, anywhere new. I find a change in setting is energizing, and getting lost on a walk or drive can be the perfect time and place to bang out a few thousand words. There's something to new surroundings that lends itself to knocking the cobwebs out of my head.

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay Botha | 31 comments Uma wrote: "Kay wrote: "I love music as well. Whenever I write anything fantasy I love to play this song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ryJDV..."

OMG! I love celtic... there's just something it that makes w..."

I know, the soundtrack has inspired many stories. I think its the beautiful, calming effect about it that spurs on the inspiration.

message 26: by Kay (new)

Kay Botha | 31 comments I wish I lived in a town for this reason :( I secretly yearn to be that writer that sits in a booth in the local coffee shop that is purely focused on their laptop screen. There's so many distractions at home.

message 27: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McShane | 10 comments I have a desk tucked away in a spare bedroom. It's the only room in the house where I can get internet access (really, I live in the middle of nowhere). And because I get internet access at my desk, I don't get much work done there - i get distracted by the lure of the internet.

So for actual writing, I have to take it to the kitchen table. But yeah, if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere I can picture myself writing in a coffee shop, trying to look cool despite my caffeine jitters!

message 28: by Kay (new)

Kay Botha | 31 comments Fiona wrote: "I have a desk tucked away in a spare bedroom. It's the only room in the house where I can get internet access (really, I live in the middle of nowhere). And because I get internet access at my de..."

Hehe I know the feeling.

message 29: by S. (last edited Apr 23, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

S. Rivera (sjacksonrivera) | 23 comments I have a nice breakfast nook with windows on 4 sides. I'm home alone most of the day so I get in as much writing as possible until hub gets home or I have to go out and interact in the real world-bummer. I have the same type of nook upstairs in my bedroom that I'll move to once in a while. I'd like to write out on my deck on a nice day but the sun makes seeing the screen difficult. I really like to write on planes too. I seem to get a lot accomplished when I'm flying.

message 30: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Maxwell I seem to write better outdoors. Something about the air, the birds, the trees. It makes my brain feel less confined. But I also still write initial drafts longhand, with my favorite bold ink gel pen and a legal pad. For my last book, (which was, I suppose, fittingly titled The Grave Tender) I would drop my kids off at school, then spend a few hours on a pretty bench at the old local cemetery. No distractions, save the ghosts ;)

message 31: by Pavan (new)

Pavan Kaur (pavankaur) | 89 comments I write soon as my oldest is at school and my youngest is sleeping, that is only time I really have, and then at night once the kids are in bed and I can't stop thinking about what to write. I have to get a pen and paper and start writing it all down xxx

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim I can write pretty much anywhere--and HAVE written pretty much everywhere! If the words are flowing I can be on a battlefield and still get the words down. As for favorite places...well, late-night/all-night diners and coffee places are nice. I also live in a very large, fairly secluded house on 13 acres of land, so finding a quite spot to work (both inside and out) is never a problem. But it seems I do most of my work at the ol' kitchen table. I can be found there at all hours of the day and night. Oddly, I never use my office. Maybe cuz it's on the second floor and I hate to keep going up and down the stairs! When it's cold and rainy (yes, that DOES happen here in Southern California) I like to sit in the living room by the fire. But again, I can work virtually anywhere at any time. If the ideas are flowing, as long as I have a pad and pen, I'm fine.

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Donnelly | 8 comments I used to spend two hours a day travelling to work on a train and wrote my first novel by hand amid the cramped carriage and consent announcements. I learned to focus so can now write anywhere. My favorite time to write in on Sundays, no music, no noise, except for the birds outside and the purring of my two cats who like to snooze on the desk. Although I use the laptop now I still enjoy writing by hand when I'm in bed or away from home.

message 34: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McShane | 10 comments Cathy wrote: "I used to spend two hours a day travelling to work on a train and wrote my first novel by hand amid the cramped carriage and consent announcements. I learned to focus so can now write anywhere. My ..."

It's nice that your cats snooze on your desk, Cathy. Mine tries to prance all over my keyboard!

message 35: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Fiona wrote: "It's nice that your cats snooze on your desk, Cathy. Mine tries to prance all over my keyboard!"

You need Pawsense: http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

;D

message 36: by Fiona (last edited Apr 27, 2015 11:43AM) (new)

Fiona McShane | 10 comments Micah wrote: "Fiona wrote: "It's nice that your cats snooze on your desk, Cathy. Mine tries to prance all over my keyboard!"

You need Pawsense: http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

;D"

I feel like I've entered some alternate universe. Pawsense is actually real. Wow. Worst thing is I'm seriously considering it.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments I write in my room, where I'm surrounded by posters of dragons and with a bookcase of my favorite books next to my desk to motivate me. There's also a rocking chair nearby where I can go for a little story thinking time while I listen to music. My cats sleep on my bed, so they're close by for me to bug them when I need a quick break.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy Spitzfaden | 3 comments I write at my desk most of the time, but my favorite place is really any coffee shop/cafe as long as there's internet. Something about buying a drink and then settling in to write really gets me in the zone.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Barclay (shellcastle) | 15 comments I write in bed, my office or my living room. I change scenery depending on what I'm writing, my mood, etc.

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark Gelineau | 13 comments Since my son was born, I now write at the kitchen table, in a terrible, TERRIBLE chair. Headphones on, music blaring.
But this friday, my writing partner and I are taking possession of our office, where we will be writing for the summer. I am beyond excited to have a dedicated writing space again.

message 41: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 115 comments At my desk at home.

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 30 comments I write in bed using my iPad. Being retired, I have the luxury.

I used to write at work. I would hustle to get everything done ahead of schedule so I would have time to write.

message 43: by David (new)

David Hopper (davidhopperbooks) | 8 comments Some dear friends had a secluded cottage on a lake that I could use for free. No TV. No Internet (other than on my phone). No distractions. I loved to go there for a 6 day stretch, writing all morning, stopping for a run at midday, writing again until dinner out at the nearby resort town. What a heavenly and productive vacation in isolation, even for a natural extravert like me. Wish I could do it one week of every month. Alas, they sold the cottage and I have a real job...

message 44: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
that sounds like a writing shack I want to buy

message 45: by Nick (new)

Nick Armbrister (nickarmbristerjimmyboomsemtex) | 8 comments nice 'man cave', i like the idea. i write on my laptop or in a pad if i'm doing a poem or two. but if i'm out, i do a txt msg to myself and save it to type up later. right now, i'm listening to berlin and doing my new poem book.

message 46: by Denise (new)

Denise (mariesiduri) Usually, with my laptop on the living room couch. Sometimes on the kitchen table. Sometimes on the desktop. Sometimes, when they declare a Flexalert here in California (i.e., time to conserver power) I take the laptop and go to the local bagel shop.

message 47: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Amy wrote: "...my favorite place is really any coffee shop/cafe as long as there's internet. Something about buying a drink and then settling in to write really gets me in the zone."

Exactly. When I started writing I holed up in my man cave: the basement where all my music equipment is. But it's a low-ceilinged room with poor lighting and almost no windows. Day or night, it always seemed gloomy. After writing in there for 8 months straight...and then a year or more before I gave up on editing that novel...I just couldn't take it anymore.

I bought a Netbook many years later and have done nearly all my writing in coffee shops since then.

I like it because I'm away from the house (distractions, temptations, frustrations). I'm out in public, but simultaneously alone. There's a constantly shifting layer of noise and activity around you which somehow blurs into an impersonal white-noise: enough activity to keep you from drifting off into la-la land, yet not distracting enough to draw your attention away.

It's like the activity around you shields you from making connections with other people...like a cone of silence or a transparent shell that separates you from the world, while immersing you in the world at the same time.

Alone in the crowd.

I, too, can zone out and really focus on writing in that situation.

message 48: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments I could probably edit anywhere. When I'm writing I'm insane and it's probably best to leave me alone, so I write alone.

Rawr.

message 49: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) I love this thread.

I write mostly at the dining room table in the evening. The only distractions are four little dogs running around and asking to be let outside occasionally. Sometimes, on the weekends I go write at my favorite Noodle restaurant. If I'm going to be away from home, I bring my laptop and write on that. I always write on a computer, never by hand (that is so 1980s) :) I listen to Adele sing "Set Fire to the Rain." :)

April

message 50: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments April wrote: "I love this thread.

I write mostly at the dining room table in the evening. The only distractions are four little dogs running around and asking to be let outside occasionally. Sometimes, on the w..."

oooo I like Rolling in the Deep

« previous 1