Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Weekly checkins > 1/30 Week 4

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann We are at the end of week four! Do you have four books read? If not, we still have all year to catch up! This will be short for now because my internet connection has been on and off all day. I don't want to chance losing it while I type out something long!

This week I finished The Pearl for "A book you can finish in a day". I'm also over half way done with 11/22/63 and The Silkworm. I also worked on reaing in my short story collections.

What books did you finish this week? How many books total have you read this far?

message 2: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 65 comments I finished two this week, bringing my total to 8. I'm so happy to have a little "cushion" because I know there will be weeks to come when I won't be able to read at all!
This week I finished:
The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell, (author you've never read before). I loved this one! At less than 200 pages, you could probably use it for a book you can read in a day (if you're a faster reader than me!)
Souless by Gail Carriger (a graphic novel). This one was a pretty fluffy story of vampires and werewolves in Victorian England. It was my first graphic novel, and I didn't really like it all that much.

message 3: by Katherine (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments I didnt have any new books to report last week, so I'm glad to say that this week I finished The Princess Bride (classic romance) and Sliding A Journey Through Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder After a Fatal Car Crash (non-fiction). I'm struggling through one of my school books - you'll know it when you see the title - so hopefully my progress will be better after I can finish that. Luckily, though, I'm ahead of schedule at this point!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole This week I finished a book with magic, First Frost by Sarah Allen Addison. I enjoyed her storytelling and reading a book with magic definitely was outside my norm. I have read 6 book so far. Not sure what my next book will be.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments Just joined the group, so I haven't finished all the books this week. I did start the challenge at the beginning of the month so here are the books I've read so far... A Fault in our Stars by John Green - a book that made you cry; The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien - a trilogy; and Palo Alto by James Franco - a book of short stories. I just started The Two Towers for the second book of my trilogy.

message 6: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelam) | 56 comments This week I finally finished The Luminaries. Still not sure what prompt I will use it for, though - it could fit at least 8 for me. I'll most likely end up using it for "book chosen based on the cover" or "author under 30".

I have also finished listening to the audiobook of Mrs. Dalloway, which I had started ages ago in 2014 and then completely abandoned. So I guess this could be the "book I've started and never finished".
I'm not sure if I should count it, because it was really super short, but I have also read online the short story The Paper Menagerie. If I do count it towards the challenge, it will be the "book that made me cry".

Now I have started This is Where I Leave You. Not yet sure which prompt it will fit. Counting also the audiobook and the short story online, this would be my 10th book, so I'm a bit ahead - which is great because I know that my reading will decrease during the year!

Katherine (Katy) (katylizg) This is my first time posting in this group, so I have six books to post about.

I have read:

a book that became a movie: Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory
a book written by someone under 30: Lost in Translation by Ella Francis Sanders
a book with a one-word title: Lullabies
a nonfiction book: City: A Guidebook for the Urban Age
a book that made you cry: Poems That Make Grown Men Cry: 100 Men on the Words That Move Them
and
a book by an author you've never read before: Love & Misadventure (at least, I hadn't read her until I picked this and lullabies up at the bookstore the other night).

I am in the middle of reading a book more than 100 years old: Maurice

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (the-rybrary) Since we're at the end of January, I'll give my first month's update:

A book by an author you’ve never read before (Station Eleven)
A book based on a true story (Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption)
A book with magic (Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch)
A trilogy (Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy)
A book at the bottom of your TBR (Eleanor & Park)

SO I've completed 5 prompts and read 7 books total (because my trilogy). Here's a link to my tumblr post with further links to all my reviews for each book, if anybody is interested!

Up next, I'm either going to read The Robber Bride for a book by an author I love but haven't read yet or The People of Paper for a book by someone under 30.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth I finished 3 books this week:

Looking for Alaska (#36 A book set in high school)
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened (#6 A book written by someone under 30)
The Importance of Being Earnest (#47 A play)

This brings my total to 8, which was my goal for January. I'm happy to have a little cushion, especially since I have some longer books I would like to read.

This week I started reading Gone Girl (#3 A book based on/turned into a movie) and Kindred which fits several prompts. I will most likely use it for #41 (A book by an author you’ve never read before).

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidi28) This week I finished The Lovely Bones. it seemed to take me a while to get through, but I did like it. (A book that was turned into a movie).

Now reading Cinder, which I'm really enjoying so far.

I finished 5 books this month, so I'm ahead of target so far!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jcreamer) | 20 comments This week I finished The Handmaid's Tale (disturbing and fascinating) for my banned book and Insurgent (great second book for the series) for my book written by someone under 30.

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) After trying for a year, I finished The Little Girls for prompt #50, A book you started but never finished. In the end, I'm sorry I did. It was a terrible book.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 6 comments I've been reading books that aren't on my list, so this week I had to catch up with Week 2 and 3. Week 2 was A Midsummer Night's Dream for a book with magic, and Week 3 was Cyrano de Bergerac for a play. Tonight I'll probably read Heart of Darkness so I'll be all caught up. I may also start The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 14: by SabrinaJaleesa (new)

SabrinaJaleesa (readnothingyet) I'm doing a monthly checkin, rather than a weekly one, so these are all the books I've read in January:

Citadel by Kate Mosse | A book you own but haven’t read
Cell 8 by Roslund & Hellström | A book with a number in the title
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo | A book more than 100 years old
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan | A book set in high school

I'm in the progress of reading:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle | A book with short stories
Killing The Shadows by Val McDermid | A book with more than 500 pages

So far I'm feeling pretty well on track. As for the books I plan to read in February, I already have a few books in mind:

Inferno by Dan Brown | A book with a one-word title
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak | A book by someone under 30
Lazybones by Mark Billingham | A mystery or thriller
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin | A non-fiction book

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim Williamson | 48 comments Jennifer wrote: "This week I finished The Handmaid's Tale (disturbing and fascinating) for my banned book and Insurgent (great second book for the series) for my book written by someone..."

Hey Jennifer I just recently finished Handmaid's Tale as well. I stretched it a little and listed it under love triangle. I too found it extremely disturbing but could not put it down.

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherryberryx) | 13 comments This week I completed A Child Called "It" (which I hated; it was clearly exaggerated, I feel a bit apprehensive putting it under the memoir category so I will deem it as based on a true story) and The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing (as the book to complete within one day; I really enjoy this, short yet insightful)

I'm currently working through Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Great Expectations still. I also started picking up Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (which I started last year and have been slow burning through it - almost done though).

message 18: by Jules (new)

Jules Lewis (jules_lewis) | 30 comments Finished my fifth book this week, so I'm slightly ahead for now. That includes my 500+ page book (Lamentation) and collection of short stories (The Best American Mystery Stories 2002), so hopefully I can tick off a few shorter prompts now... Will be starting with The Murders in the Rue Morgue for my 'over 100 years ago' pick...
Definitely enjoying having the prompts!
-j-

message 19: by Hailey Magstadt (new)

Hailey Magstadt (haileymag9) | 16 comments I finished my 4th book this week, Feed . It was a great book. It may be about zombies, but that was not the majority of the book. I know a book is fantastic when I am still touched by the story a week after I finished. Can't wait to read the second book. I read this book for a trilogy. I am going to read A Million Little Pieces for a book with a number with for the title this week.

message 20: by Julia (last edited Feb 03, 2015 02:31PM) (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) | 18 comments I have read:
✔️1) A book with more than 500 pages: A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin
✔️2)A classic romance: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
✔️5) A book with a number in the title: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
✔️8) A funny book: The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman #2) by Graeme Simsion
✔️9) A book by a female author: We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride
✔️11) A book with a one word title: Us by David Nicholls
✔️13) A book set in a different country: The Conductor
✔️27) A book you can finish in a day: The Silver Moon: Reflections on Life, Death and Writing by Bryce Courtenay
✔️28) A book with antonyms in the title: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
✔️41) A book by an author you've never read before: The Children Act by Ian McEwan
✔️42) A book you own but haven't read yet: Éclair Murder (Patisserie Mystery #2) by Harper Lin

I have started:
✔️19) A book based on a true story: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
by Cheryl Strayed
32) A trilogy: ✔️Undine ✔️Breathe "Drift" by Penni Russon
✔️38) A book that made you cry: Wonder by R.J. Palacio
✔️50) A book you started but never finished: The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt

so 13/52

message 21: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 33 comments I only read one book for week 4, and all in the weekend, too! But I also just finished my foreign language book (A Novel Bookstore, by Laurence Cosse), bringing me up to 12 books/10 prompts done.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Hoag | 28 comments Ann wrote: "We are at the end of week four! Do you have four books read? If not, we still have all year to catch up! This will be short for now because my internet connection has been on and off all day. I d..."

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 19 comments ✔️5) A book with a number in the title I am number four by Pittacus lore
✔️6) A book written by someone under 30 Looking for Alaska – John Green
✔️9) A book by a female author Fangirl- Rainbow Rowell
✔️11)A book with one-word title Speechless – Hannah Harrington
✔️27) A book you can finish in a day Trapped - R.L. Stine
✔️36) A book set in high school
Paper towns – John Green

currently reading

1) A book with more than 500 pages Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

30) A book that came out the year you were born Harry Potter and the philosopher`s stone by J. K. Rowling

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.