The Bookania Quests discussion

General > Alternative Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 102 comments Mod
Because I can't publish books as fast as you guys read them, you have to find other books to read in the meantime.

Here's where we can gather to discus and recommend other fairy tale retellings, and the possibly/probability of them actually existing within Bookania. (Because, as we know, Bookania is a huge world with lots of pages, not all of them functioning on the same laws.) They don't necessarily have to be Christian, but I do ask that they be clean.

Books that I love and are convinced are part of Bookania include:
Ella Enchanted
Fairest
The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales
The Frog Who Would Be Prince
Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
The Princess Curse
Rapunzel's Revenge

Have you guys anything to add?

There's a part of me who wants to believe that the Lunar Chronicles are also a part of Bookania, but I'm a bit hesitant to say yea or nay, since there's the whole space thing that I'm not sure would work in Bookania's physical laws ...

message 2: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments *whispers* Once Upon A Time......

message 3: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Bringing OUAT over here. :)

Kendra wrote: "I wish I could watch the full episodes of OUaT, but for now, I've been watching the clips that people post on YouTube. Very interesting show, and I'm thoroughly convinced that the Enchanted Forest ..."

They have seasons 1-3 on Netflix, and ABC puts new episodes online. They're available the day after airing for people with TV providers, and the week after for anyone with internet access. I think they usually keep the five latest episodes up. It is generally pretty clean, though there have been a few "look away" scenes/moments here and there. And lots of kissing. But true love's kiss can break any curse, you know. There have been a few times where the magic was a little too weird for me, but I still like it. Not sure it'll last much longer, though. They seem to be running out of ideas.

message 4: by Kendra (new)

I don't have Netflix and haven't had cable since about the time the first season premiered, can't afford them. I have Amazon Prime (which is where I watched Doctor Who), but OUaT isn't available there. I've enjoyed watching the clips on YouTube, though.

message 5: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Is your library any good at getting movies and shows? Ours is extraordinarily on top of that, but really quite bad at the book side of things. (I saw Caddie Woodlawn on the new books shelf, and no older copies on the regular shelves. :P) DW is awesome. Off topic, but awesome. I've seen Series 8 because our library got it pretty much right away.

message 6: by Kendra (new)

I'm not sure. I know they can be slow on books, but I've never requested movies or TV. We don't check out DVD's very often though, since we get only one week with them (no renewals), and the fines are a dollar a day, and we're not very consistent with getting to town. :( And right now the website is down, so I can't check if they have it already or not.

message 7: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments I've never requested our library purchase anything, but actually they can quite frustrate me with their caring more about movies than books. Ours only does one week DVD check outs too. Watching Series 8 in a week was...interesting. But awesome. We've been keeping up with OUAT since it started, so we haven't needed to get it from the library, but I'm pretty sure ours has it. Not that we live near each other...

message 8: by Kendra (new)

I know ... terribly inconvenient that ...

(And we're doing it again, Morgan ... going WAY off topic. You'd better find a good Fairy Tale Retelling and pronto! I don't even care if it happens to be Disney ...)

message 9: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Frozen. I love Frozen. And Tangled. They're awesome.

(Maybe we just need to email each other with these conversations.)

message 10: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments It's a picture book and a sort of parody, but I've always liked The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales, with such classic tales as The Princess and the Bowling Ball and Little Red Running Shorts. The kids I used to babysit loved it. Actually, the girl sulked once when I didn't bring it.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 9 comments But but... you guys are adorable when you go off topic! XD

I'm the same about our library where the movies are only allowed out for a week and I'm not in town very often/consistently... 'Tis sad. :-/ Plus, as Morgan said, it's very /interesting/ to watch a whole season of something in a week. XD

I haven't seen OUaT! I keep hearing conflicting reports of it but most people seem to like it... And YES Frozen and Tangled are awesome! Mostly Tangled! XD

As far as on-topic goes... Gail Carson Levine's books are FABULOUS as far as retellings! :D (Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep, Cinderellis and the Glass Hill come to mind, as well as Fairest and Ella Enchanted). And I sooo want to read Frog Who Would be Prince and The Princess Curse! *flail*

Other fairytale retellings I love... Um. I don't know if they count as Bookania-ish, but I enjoy Melanie Dickerson's books (especially The Fairest Beauty which is suuuch a good Snow White retelling), and Alyce (Cinderella) and Princess of the Midnight Ball and... Ooh! Entwined!!!! :D ...I'm a bit of a 12-dancing-princesses nut. ;)

Has anyone read Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles (starting with Dealing with Dragons)? Because those are awesome with sooo many fun fairytale things sprinkled throughout. :D

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments I need to get some Gail Carson Levine books. I'm interested in them, but I just haven't bothered yet. I've read Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix. There were about three mildly suggestive sentences in it, so I wouldn't recommend it for middle graders, but for YA and Adult readers it would be really clean. She is better at writing from a boy's point of view, though.

The only Patricia Wrede books I've read are Star Wars Junior Novelizations. Hers were much better written than the Original Trilogy ones. I didn't know she wrote fairy tale stuff too. I might have another author to look up.

OUAT is my primary source of fairy tale retellings, besides Disney movies. Season 1 was really good, but you can tell now the ideas are running thin. I still really like it, though.

message 13: by Kendra (new)

I didn't care much for Just Ella ... Ella Enchanted is MUCH better. :). But it could still be part of Bookania. There's nothing in the story that could indicate otherwise ... though I do pity that portion for their falling away from faith.

I need to get ahold of the Dealing with Dragons series

I enjoyed what they did with Frozen in OUaT (and from the YouTube clips, I've been able to piece together most of every episode). Not how I would have handled it, but it made sense for the insertion into Storybrooke. I liked Elsa and Emma together, and Anna and Kristoff were adorable as always. Haven't seen as much of the previous seasons, but they're all very interesting spins on fairy tales.

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments I'm not that big on Just Ella, but my sister liked it. I haven't read Ella Enchanted yet, but I want to. Maybe I can convince my family to watch the movie tonight.

I did like the OUAT Frozen storyline, but then I am, as a girl I go to church with put it, "the Frozen freak." :P Anna and Elsa were so well cast. Kristoff took a little getting used to, but Kristoff is so incredibly awesome, it didn't end up mattering.

message 15: by Kendra (new)

Ella Enchanted the book and Ella Enchanted the movie are totally different. They're both good, but the book is about 500% better, as it actually follows the fairy tale. The movie ... is the same for the first five minutes, has a few elements in common after that, and then veers off into political intrigue and insanity. I own both, but while the book is my go-to comfort book, I've only seen the movie once.

I'm something of a Frozen freak myself, and no, the plot the story followed in OUaT is NOT how I want the official story to go, I do appreciate all the references to the original story, and it was well cast, and fit Storybrooke. But Kristof's actor needed a slightly broader nose, but other than that, he was pretty good. (Though they should have skipped the haircut and given him a wig.) I do regret that Olaf never showed up, so far as I could tell. They had every other character - even Oaken and the Duke of Wesselton had their presence - but why did they leave out Olaf?

(But I am looking forward to a F2 and hoping Elsa gets a guy of her own. In the first movie, she was not emotionally ready for romance, she first had to learn to open up to her family and kingdom, but I do want her to find someone, once she's comfortable with herself and all.)

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 9 comments Yessss you guys must absolutely read the Dealing with Dragons books!! :D They are soooo much fun. ^_^

*shudders at the very mention of the Ella Enchanted movie* I love the book okay, but that movie... o.o *shudders again and hides behind a tapestry*

message 17: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments We did watch the Ella Enchanted movie, and I did like it, even though it was kind of corny. And it was definitely interesting to see Cary Elwes as a bad guy. I definitely still want to read the book, especially if it's 500% better. :) I find it incredibly rare for movies based on books to be alike. I'm thinking I may want to make a library run tomorrow for Ella Enchanted and Cinder.

I found the whole Ingrid plot to be interesting, though I kind of wish they hadn't kept putting off the wedding. Yeah, it was Kristoff's looks that weren't exact, but then he was so AMAZING! He had some really great lines that I'm completely drawing a blank on. Anna too. No, no Olaf. They didn't think a talking snowman would work very well in live action in Storybrooke. I honestly don't remember what they did with Oaken. I know he was in an episode, but I can't remember a thing about what he did.

(I'm looking forward to F2 too, and hoping it's not a complete disappointment like Mulan 2. That was an hour and a half of my life I can never get back. And I refuse to watch any of the Cinderella sequels, especially after skimming the Wikipedia summaries. Frozen 2 had better be good.)

message 18: by Kendra (new)

It was the episode with Belle in it. She went to Oaken's store to ask for directions to the rock trolls.

The third Cinderella sequel was REALLY good, in my opinion, one of my favorite movie sequels. The second was rather meh, but 3 was great.

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Kendra, you were right. Ella Enchanted the book IS 500% better than the movie. I absolutely loved it!

message 20: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments I might have to read Ella Enchanted, because I love the movie, and if the book is 500% better, it must be pretty spectacular! (I'm gonna miss the Queen and Elton John song covers, though, 'cause I bet they are not in the book.)

message 21: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Do read it. It's amazing. I kind of liked how the corny aspect of the worldbuilding in the movie was nonexistent in the book, it felt like a real fantasy world rather than a mockery of one. It also, like Kendra said, has more of the real Cinderella story in it. Actually, I think I like Ella Enchanted (book) better than the Disney movie. It actually makes more sense...besides the fact that she actually knows the prince, and knows him well.

message 22: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments I'll definitely have to check it out!

message 23: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle | 7 comments I love the Ella Enchanted movie... no, wait... don't throw things! (ducks and runs for cover). Have I mentioned that I ALSO love the book? Can I come back in, now? I don't know why, the movie was just SO ridiculous that it passed into the realm of pure entertainment for me.

Dealing with Dragons is perhaps one of my favorite books/series of ALL TIME. I read them over and over and over again. I was hankering to read them again, but I've lent out book 1 and can't remember who has it. hmmm.

Haven't seen the current season of OUaT, so I'm skimming to avoid spoilers.

I agree with Kendra, Cinderella 3 A twist in time, or whatever, was actually quite good. It had a plot, so that helps.

Hmmm, other fairy tale retellings....How about Wildwood Dancingby Juliet Marillier? Anyone here read that? I do NOT recommend her adult fantasy books, but Wildwood Dancing is lovely. I also very much enjoyed The Princess Curse recently - kind of a blend of 12 Dancing Princesses with a Beauty and the Beast sort of twist at the end. Interesting worlds, too.

Wondering if Peter Pan might be making an appearance in Bookania at any point? I've been slowly working my way through the Peter and the Starcatchers series... I need to go back and reread, though, because it's been a couple of years since I picked any of them up.

message 24: by Kendra (new)

I enjoy the Ella Enchanted Movie - I own it, even. I just don't LOVE it. You're entitled to your opinion (and yes, I read your blog entry this morning).

And no, Peter Pan won't be making an appearance in Bookania as far as I know. (And I honestly doubt that Alice in Wonderland or Pinoccio will, either, since I don't consider them to be official fairy tales. Though I do include Shakespeare ...) However, I do have a sci-fi retelling of Peter Pan planned for the Mikida universe that I share with my sister, so you can stay tuned for that.

message 25: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle | 7 comments :) cool cool. Yeah, I guess Peter Pan isn't truly a fairy tale, so that makes sense.

message 26: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments Has anyone ever read the "Princess School" series by Jane B. Mason? It was a kids chapter book series that was about, well, princesses at school! It's a really great series for middle school girls. The only drawback is that there is no conclusion... for some reason the final book was never published.
Here's the Goodreads page for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 27: by Kendra (new)

Yep! I read that series! Up to book ... six, if I remember right. Except that I never finished book 2. I lost it - and it was a library book! Worst month of my life. There is one book published past where I read, but I don't think my library has it.

But it is a DELIGHTFUL series. I forget about it frequently as it sits in the shadow of ELLA ENCHANTED, but I do love those little books, and they were an influence in my writing.

message 28: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 21 comments Ooh, lost library book. Losing one is awful. I still remember when I lost Felicity's Dancing Shoes. Never did find it. I think I've heard of Princess School, but I've never read it.

message 29: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments Ouch, losing a library book is never fun. I never dared to lose one, after watching the Arthur episode where he loses a library book. Haha.
They were really cute books!

message 30: by Kendra (new)

I didn't mean to loose it! I stashed in in the back of one of the seats in my Grammy's van, and completely forgot about it. (Something I'm very good at doing ...) My library was nice, and after we expended the normal six weeks of check-out time, they gave us a three month grace to look for it and they didn't press charges. BUT Mom still wasn't happy with me.

But yes, they're adorable little stories, and as I'm thinking back on them, they do have a couple parallels to the Bookania Quests - such as the whole Rapunzel/Val/Beauty triangle is vaguely reminiscent of the Robin/Eric/Rosamond mess. It wasn't on purpose, but ... it's similar.

Another series of a similar topic (but YA) that I adore is Shannon Hale's The Storybook of Legends. I've not been able to get into her Goosegirl series, but EAH is super fun. (Especially since I can supplement it with videos on the official site when I'm too brain-dead.)

message 31: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stellingwerff | 14 comments (Guess what I got at the library today... Ella Enchanted!)
I loved Shannon Hale's Austenland and I've been meaning to look into one of her other books... Ever After high may just be it! Thanks for the recommendation... from, like, months ago. xD

message 32: by Kendra (new)

Her Rapunzel's Revenge is brilliant, too. Completely different (and a graphic novel), but it's my favorite Rapunzel retelling.

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 2 comments I'm still working through the first Bookania book, but recently found K.M. Shea's fairy tale re-tellings. They are absolutely hysterical and sooo good! I love her "Cinderella and the Colonel"!

message 34: by Kendra (new)

I'd heard about the first book in her series a few years ago, but wasn't all that interested since B&B is not my favourite fairy tale (and I find its retellings even more overdone than Cinderella's), but I might go try her out on that recommendation. The sequels sound interesting.

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 2 comments I actually thought her B&B was one of the better re-tellings I've seen. And B&B is one of my favorite fairy tales. The Seven Swans re-telling isn't as strong.

message 36: by Kendra (new)

I will check it out. I just need a strong recommendation to try out a B&B retelling, and when I heard about her, she only had that one out. I just feel that there are three too many retellings of B&B, and since it's a relatively hole-free fairy tale, I'm not as compelled to read them. (Because that is my favorite part of retellings, their fixing things.)

message 37: by Kendra (new)

Just popping in to share a few new Fairy Tale books that I accept into Bookania -
Rose of Prophecy
Song of the Sword: A Rapunzel Novella
Befriending the Beast
The Secret Slipper

And now that I have read it, so has
Dealing with Dragons and its sequels. Awesome books, all!

message 38: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments Oooooo!! Hope Ann's are good! Wait until you read her new B&tB retelling. It's even better then Rose of Prophecy.

Have you read any of K.M. Shea's? They're not Christian, but they are decent. I've read her B&tB and Cinderella.

message 39: by Kendra (new)

I have not yet read any of hers, but I do have a few on my kindle waiting for me. Alas and alak, but I'm also not a reading machine.

message 40: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments I wish I was a reading machine.

message 41: by Kendra (new)

Saaaaaame.

message 42: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments I just finished Enchanted by Alethea Kontis. It was a very interesting mix of fairytales.

message 43: by Brie (new)

Brie Donning (briedonning) | 12 comments I would never have thought Song of the Sword fitting with Bookania. But I think my Bookania impression might be a bit too bright and colourful.

message 44: by Brie (new)

Brie Donning (briedonning) | 12 comments You haven't read any of the Firethorn Chronicles by Lea Doue have you?
I could imagine them fitting with Bookania. Lots of dragons and sorcerers and princesses.

message 45: by Kendra (new)

Well, not every page of Bookania has the same tone.

message 46: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments Brie wrote: "You haven't read any of the Firethorn Chronicles by Lea Doue have you?
I could imagine them fitting with Bookania. Lots of dragons and sorcerers and princesses."

Me too!

message 47: by Kendra (new)

Not sure that I ever mentioned it, but The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 18 comments Kendra wrote: "Not sure that I ever mentioned it, but The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom."

Oooh, yes. Those books are awesome.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 18 comments Ok, now I'm imagining an actual crossover between the Beaumont and Beasley series and the Bookania Quests, and it would be SO MUCH FUN. Kendra, you and Kyle should get to work on that. (You know, because you're obviously on coauthoring terms with Kyle, and both of you obviously have so much time to work on new projects . . . Actually, I don't know what kind of terms you're on with Kyle.) Maybe I'll just have to write fanfiction instead. :P

Also, the fact that Blood in the Snow is in the Bookania "canon" makes me happy. <3

« previous 1