Start by marking “The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales” as Want to Read:
The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales

The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales (The Princess Tales #1-6)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  4,513 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews

Ever since Newbery Honor author Gail Carson Levine introduced the magical village of Snettering-on-Snoakes in the faraway Kingdom of Biddle, young readers have been laughing their way through her hilarious retellings of famous and not-so-famous fairy tales.

Now, for the first time, the six beloved Princess Tales are together in one magnificent volume:

The high jinks b

Published September 19th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published October 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andie Z. for TeensReadToo.com

Gail Carson Levine is well-known for taking familiar fairy tales and weaving them with her own magic. THE FAIRY'S REUTRN AND OTHER PRINCESS TALES is no exception. In this collection of the six popular Princess Tales, Levine has rewritten six familiar (and some not-so-familiar) stories until they are virtually unrecognizable.

Joy
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Gail Carson Levine is in the same vein of writing as Robin McKinley. She does takes on fairy tales. This book is a collection of short stories based on fairy tales or folk tales. These stories take place in the land of Biddle and you will find it amusing that the kings and queens generally have the same name...with corresponding roman numerals at the end.

"The Fairy's Mistake": One girl is rewarded for doing good, the other punished by a fairy but the reward seems to be a punishment and the punis
Candi
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, ya-supernatural
Alright I really liked this book in all it's silliness. I didn't like the Princess Test when I first read it, I was put off by it's shortness and silliness, but I have come to appreciate it. In a world of self-absorbed, self-important young adult literature, this is just fantastic. I especially like the first story with the girl who speaks with bugs and lizards-great. One caveat is that I got a little tired of the three stories about youngest sons where the oldest two sons were only friends with ...more
Nina
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
Warning: This review may contain spoilers.

After reading a few fairy tale re-tellings of other authors, I can't help but go back and compare them to Gail Carson Levine. No matter what anyone says, Levine is incomparable. She is really great (the best, maybe?) when it comes to weaving quick, fun and enjoyable fantasy stories.

This book contains 6 short stories by Levine: "The Fairy's Mistake", "The Princess Test", "Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep", "Cinderellis and the Glass Hill", "For Biddle's
Churin
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know that author that you couldn't help but love because you've been loving their books since you were an itty-bitty baby?
Gail Carson Levine is that author for me.
I couldn't help it, my very first two favorite books is written by her. So, although none of her later books made it to my favorite list, I still hold them close to my heart!

In this collection of fairy tales retelling, GCL tells stories of misshapen that happened around six (supposedly) familiar fairy tales. I've recognized some
Grace Bittle
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done.
Madeline Rose
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, mg
These are all so fun!

The Fairy's Mistake - 5/5
This one is possibly my favorite out of the bunch! Rosella and Myrtle are both great in their own way. And Nicholas so had it coming to him...

The Princess Test - 4/5
This one though!! Lorelei is so precious and such. Got quite a few laughs out of me.

Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep - 4/5
This was so hilarious! Sonora is a know-it-all of mass proportions and it's a riot!

Cinderellis and the Glass Hill - 3/5
This one didn't stick with me as much as
Kristin
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own

This was really cute. I had read the first three stories before in another volume, but the last three were new to me. Some of them were better than others: my favorites were "The Princess Test" and "For Biddle's Sake" (a Rapunzel and Frog Prince mash-up! So good). Others seemed a bit hasty with the conclusions. They were all light and fun. I loved how she connected all of them by having them set in the same places and having some characters (or their descendants) interwoven.
mary Ethington
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
darling for young girls. It has several (6)short princess stories that can be read fairly quickly. My nine year old and I read these stories together the first time and now she is reading them again on her own. I also love the hard cover copy, it looks nice.
Tara
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lots of humorous, fairy tale shorts. I enjoy Levine's writing style and humor.
Alyssa
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book title: The Fairies Return and Other Princess Tales
Author: Gail Carson Levine

The setting takes place at a water well where Rosetta goes to. She happens upon a fairy at the well. The fairy gives her magical powers and gems are able to flow from her mouth when she speaks. There are other fairy tales in the book in the other chapters and each has a different main idea or theme.
The author's writing made it difficult to put the book down at night and go to sleep. I had dreams about the fairies a
Danielle Routh
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Had to finish up with the sequel. "Cinderellis" is definitely the weakest story and drags on too long; "For Biddle's Sake" will always be my favorite. I do wonder if we're entering a period where stories like these that subvert tropes will soon become a trope that needs to be subverted.
Meredith
The kind of book made to be read out loud to kids in goofy voices. I can't wait till I have kids to read it out loud to.
Deevena Jemima
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The fairy tales with a little twist to the original stories were interesting to read.
Anastasia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read it recently, but it just appeared on my updates and I remember it being one of my favorite books when I was little!!
Kereesa
Listen. GCL is my gal. She's my all-time favorite fairytale remaker. And this anthology is just awesome. Hilarious, clever, and nicely cheeky.
Cat
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed Gail Carson Levine's "The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales" which is all six of her gloriously wonderful "Princess Tales": The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep, Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, For Biddle's Sake, The Fairy's Return. These retelling of some famous and some not so famous fairy tales all take place in the magical Kingdom of Biddle and a bit in its village of Snettering-on-Snoakes.

The first story that kick off these bri
Andie Z
Aug 09, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, own-and-unread
Reviewed for TeensReadToo

In THE FAIRY'S MISTAKE, which is based on the fairy tale "Toads and Diamonds," two very different sisters are each granted a gift by the fairy Etheli
Nash Norden
The Fairy’s Return and Other Princess Tales is a collection of fairy tales that are retold by Gail Carson Levine. The book contained six princesses’ short stories — The Fairy Mistake (Toads and Princesses), The Princess Test (The Princess and The Pea), Princess Sonora and The Long Sleep (Sleeping Beauty), Cinderellis and The Glass Hills (The Princess and The Glass Hills), For Biddle’s Sake (Puddocky) and The Fairy’s Return (The Golden Goose).

I was a bit skeptical after reading the first story, T
Lacey Louwagie
Mar 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read-aloud book
Things that would have made me like this book better:
1. If I would have been reading it aloud to a 10-year-old. It would have been fun to giggle with a kid over some of the dialogue, and the sentences were short and well-constructed, making it a perfect read-aloud book.
2. If I had known all the fairy tales Gail Carson Levine was parodying. I was only familiar with a couple of them -- and I like retellings when I can appreciate them as retellings. As plain ol' stories, they're just a little weird
CekMoNSter
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another book from GCL..
*dreamy*..I love her..For writing such awesome fairytales retelling..
To be honest, this one book compiles six stories..Which are all awesome...GCL had putten me on edge through my read because of the way she tweaked and twisted each stories..
Each one has different twist..The Fairy`s mistake was a story about 2 different girl who had been cursed. One with a reward for her kindness, and another with punishment for her rudeness..Sounds tacky? Not really cause there`s somethi
Nicole Lawson
"The Fairy's Mistake: 10/10 - Some times a fairy's gift isn't always great and a punishment isn't always bad. This story proves that what we do with our circumstances and how we treat others has an impact on how well our lives go. It's a fun, cute story with a important message."

"The Princess Test: 9/10 - A fun twist on the princess and the pea. Lorelei is so funny to me."

"Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep: 8/10 - Hmm I didn't quite get a lesson out of this one. More of just a story, but a cute
Lauren
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a light fantasy read.
Ever since I started my research for my fairy tale essay, I've wanted to reread these stories. They are told in a traditional removed perspective fairy tale style, but are still totally adorable. I just love them so much, they are soso cute and really, just cute. I always read them in a random order. I laugh out loud reading these in class, especially "The Firy's Return" for some reason the combination of King Harrumphry and jake making up couplets that don't rhyme just get to me.
...............
Karin
I liked these stories. I liked how both the prince/ princess and their love are smart, kind people. My fav was Cinderellis.

The only thing I didn't like was that these stories were about generations of the same family. That means that Cinderellis becomes King Harrumphry IV, a twat who uses harrumph instead of words and confuses his court. Not how I (or the epilogues of the stories themselves) pictured 'happily ever after'.

But if you're not noticing these details- a child might not- they are very
April
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book (or, rather, six books) is a childhood favourite of mine. As a young girl I read this collection 7+ times, and absolutely loved all the stories. Gail Carson Levine was my favourite author for such a long time, and I've read many of her books. I would definitely recommend this collection as well as all her other works to any young child :-). I have so many good childhood memories of reading Gail Carson Levine's books that I smile every time I hear her name or see these books. I hope tha ...more
Janus the Erudite Artist
Being a girl who grew up reading fairy tales, I’m always open to read more of it; so there’s no question why I grabbed a copy of this book.

I love it! It may be childish and all but I’ve always been completely drawn to these types of tales. Levine’s tales were enjoyable and although I saw some significance to the classics from the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Andersen, I still adored them.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot
Olivia  bieber
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Olivia by: HALEY WILLIAMS
THE HIGH JINKS BEGIN IN THE FAIRYS MISTAKE WHICH POKES FUN AT A MEDDLESOME FAIRY WHOSE PLANS 4 GOOD GO TERRIBLY AWRY.

IN THE PRINCESS TESTTHE AUTHOR SPOOFS THE NATION THAT A PEA CAN PROOVE A PERSONS PEDIGREE.

PRINCESS SONORA AND THE LONG SLEEP FEATURES A GENIOUS OF A PRINCESS A HUNDRES YEARS OF SNOOZE TWO PRINCES AND A FLOCK OF BADLINFG SHEEP!

CINDERELLA IS A BOY IN CINDERELLAS AND THE GLASS HILL.

IN FOR BIDDLES SNAKE PARLSELY TRIES TO FORGET HE BELOVED PRINCE AND GET AND GET USED TO LIFE AS A BIDDL
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales, fantasy
This a collection of fairy tales that are new versions of some classic stories including Sleeping Beauty, the Princess and the Frog, the Princess and the Pea, and the Golden Goose. Several are based on some less well known stories. I found it interesting to compare the classic versions to those included in the book. It is nice to see the protagonists all use their intelligence and wits to reach their goals. There is some clever wordplay to amuse adults and older children and the tales are all we ...more
Lara
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv-fic
This is a fun collection of fairy tales redux. The twists are clever, the characters are sweet, the females aren't stripped of power as is traditional fairy tales, and they all lived happily ever after. The only reason that I gave this 4 instead of 5 stars was the fact that I found some of the word play to be irritating rather than endearing (for example, one of the kings in the stories always speaks in synonyms, and another one always 'harrumphs' instead of speaking clearly), but that's just me ...more
Robin
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy
The book that made my sister read from the start till the end (in English!) and said 'is there more books like this Along?' and ask me to borrow/buy for her. That's a first.

Well, I am off to find more fairytales book for my sis and preferably by the same author. She already read Ella Enchanted and like the book as well. Me, I prefer Ella Enchanted (a favourite of mine) than this book, and I think I already had read enough re-telling of fairytales, but well, anything that could make her read more
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • A True Princess
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • A Pearl Among Princes
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • Princess Nevermore (Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice, #1)
  • Bella at Midnight
  • The Phoenix Dance
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo
More about Gail Carson Levine...

The Princess Tales (6 books)
  • The Fairy's Mistake (The Princess Tales, #1)
  • The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)