Start by marking “Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)” as Want to Read:
Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)

Cinderellis and the Glass Hill

(The Princess Tales #4)

Ralph said, "Rain tomorrow."
Burt said, "Barley needs it. You're covered with cinders, Ellis."
Ralph thought that was funny. "That's funny." He laughed. "That's what we should call him-- Cinderellis."
Burt guffawed.

In this unusual spin on an old favorite, Cinderella is a boy! He's Cinderellis, and he has two unfriendly brothers and no fairy godmother to help him out.
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderellis and the Glass Hill

Start your review of Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
Fables&Wren
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

Do you like retelling of fairy-tales? Gail Carson Levine is the author for you. She is witty, and pokes fun at fairy-tales all the while making you love the story even more.

When he was six years old, Ellis invented flying powder. He sprinkled the powder on his tin cup, and the cup began to rise up the chimney. He stuck his head into the fireplace to see how far up it would go. (The fire was out, of course.)
– Cinderellis and the Glass Hill by Gail Carson Levine

Just by the
Milliebot
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a super cute gender swap loosely based on Cinderella plus any fairytale where a guy has to do some impossible task to gain the hand of the princess. Both Ellis and princess Marigold were lonely and seeking companionship from their family, which was sad, but gave them good motivation for a short story.
Leah
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-youth
Another enchanting fairy tale retelling by Gail Carson Levine. This time the hero is a resourceful but lonely farmer boy given the nickname Cinderellis by his unkind brothers. And the herione is a gentle but lonely princess living in the castle of her father who often leaves her to go on quests.
Christopher Hicks
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a cute re telling of the Cinderella story told from a male perspective. It was s quick, fun read. I read it for my YA Bookclub. Any fan of Cinderella would enjoy this book
Jane
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Cinderella recast as a farm boy? Sold. Another clever retelling of a classic fairy tale
by the mistress of the form, Gail Carson Levine.
Leslie
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I read this with my kindergartner for a bed-time chapter book. We both enjoyed this twist on the Cinderella story. It is a short, fun read and great for young readers.
Chanel Sharp
Mom and I found this to be a quick, adorable listen. It was an interesting retelling of Cinderella, with Cinderella being a boy in this version, mom and I have read some version were Cinder is male. Over all we recommended this as a quick read or listen.
Pamela
I finished the remaining four Princess Tales books by Gail Carson Levine last night. Sadly, someone seems to have stolen The Princess Test from my library, so that one will have to wait. I know my last post was pretty harsh on the first book, The Fairy's Mistake. Perhaps I was in a combative state of mind, or it was just a one-off. Whatever the case, the rest of the books in the series more than made up for my unpleasant experience with the first one!

In Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, not only
Madi
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think that the theme is that you should try and try again.
Clara P
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Camille Esther
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be a great read-aloud for children. There wasn't much about it that sounded like a spin on the Cinderella story, but I enjoyed all the elements of different fairy-tales that were put into it. A fun read!
 ☆Ruth☆
This one was a bit too silly for my taste.
Oakley
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It starts out with both Cinderellis and the princess talking about their lonely and miserable lives. The princesses dad likes to go on quests and Cinderelllises brothers not ever talking to him. There is a contest coming up to decide who the princess will marry. Horses were eating all of the boys crops so he then trapped the horses and ended up with 3 amazing horses. He would have to climb the glass hill to be able to marry the princess. Read the book to see if he can do it.
There are many
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cinderellis and the Glass Hill is a fun short retelling of a couple of different fairy tales. Although it is part of a series (The Princess Tales) it can easily be read alone without the other books. The series is all set in the same world and the different books correspond and interact with each other but they are more of companion books rather than sequels and prequels.

This is a short book and is easily read by an adult or older reader within a hour; however, for someone who likes to savor
Tatum E
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is pretty much like Cinderella, but instead it's about a boy who lives with his two really mean brothers and his grandma. The boys name in Ellis, but he got his name from his brothers by getting cinder all over himself, so that's why his name is Cinderellis. He is just a young boy that is very lonely and loves to invent things, but none of his family appreciates them. So he sets out to find the Princess Marigold because she was also lonely because her mom died and her father is always ...more
Hillary Rose
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a complete review, check out my Young Adult book blog:

The contest to marry the princess seems impossible – the victor must ride up a hill made made entirely out of glass. Cinderellis, commoner though he be, believes one of his beautiful horses might be up to the task. In Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, our hero must use his own resourcefulness, not just magic, to be with the one he loves.

Are you an avid reader of YA fiction? If so, please consider
Lisa Brown
A cute twist on the story of Cinderella, with Ellis, the youngest of three boys and an amazing inventor, vying for the respect and attention his brothers never give him. It takes him on a wild adventure, with magical horses, golden apples, and a glass pyramid that he must climb to get to the princess. He may not end up with the respect he wants from his brothers, but he can get more than he ever imagined.

Super cute and creative book. I enjoyed it, and I think my kids would really enjoy it.
Meg McGregor
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
What a fun read! I loved how the Cinderella story is told from a boy's point of view.

I especially enjoyed the fact that he uses his own ingenuity, and not the help of a fairy godmother, to win the princess!

And I think his own way of naming the horses is quite unique and imaginative.

Chasam = Copper Horse Arrives Shortly After Midnight
Shasam = Silver Horse Arrives Shortly After Midnight
Ghasam = Golden Horse Arrives Shortly After Midnight

A great way to spend an afternoon!
A.R. Beckert
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a charming story!
I was afraid, when a friend called this a gender-bent Cinderella story, that it would come off bland or focus so much on the switch that the story wouldn't be worth the time.
Well, it's a short book and marvelous. It's humorous, creative, magical, and sweetly innocent.
I do highly recommend this as a read-aloud to smaller kids, or a quick read for elementary kids.
Damaris M
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I lOVEEEE these fairy tales and this is definitely one of my favorites. I need to get them all. either as the bind up or individual. I actually love Cinderella retelling so I guess thats why I really enjoyed this one. Also it has , in a way i guess, science elements to it so thats always something that catches my attention.
Katie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable retelling of the fairy tale of the princess on the glass hill. It's definitely written for children. I love the creativity and resourcefulness of the main character, and he does the kinds of things that would captivate the imaginations of elementary aged children.
Kmgreen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A twist on and mash-up of "The Glass Mountain" and "Cinderella." This story feels like it could be included in a modern version of Andrew Lang's fairy books. It's funny and sweet and appealed to my boys, which was a bonus. The illustrations are also charming.
pietastic
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
These are all so cute and quick I never say anything about them. But in this one, I have to show some appreciation for the merging of tales. The glass hill is not often done, and I really enjoyed this approach. And, as always, the princess has the final word.
ZI
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The absurdity of this book (and its whole series) is absolutely amazing. From the Museum of Quest Souvenirs to Ralph and Burt's ridiculous conversations, Gail Carson Levine has created a fantastically hilarious world that is sure to delight. I adored it.
Emma
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
My favorite of The Princess Tales. I'm not sure if I read this one more often as a kid or if the storyline just resonates with me, but reading this again felt like snuggling up in a blanket. So comfy and repetitive and fun. I really love Gail Carson Levine. So grateful to her
Jennifer Price
A Cute little 1 or 2 day read about a boy (Cinderellis) that enters a contest to marry a princess (Marygold). I would recommend this book to a child or young girl that maybe isn't the best reader but wants a chapter book.
Reader Girl
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Levine, and this book does not disappoint. It's a fun, quick read.
Tyler
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this to get out of a reading slump because childrens books always help
Kest Schwartzman
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
that was really quite bad. A whole lot of bad. Just... all bad.
Booknerder42
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun gender-bent version of Cinderella with a twist.

• Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • The Frog Princess
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • No Place for Magic
  • The Ordinary Princess
  • Forest Born
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Princess in Disguise (The Wide-Awake Princess, #4)
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • Wednesdays in the Tower (Castle Glower, #2)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Golden:  A Retelling of Rapunzel
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for

The Princess Tales (6 books)
  • The Fairy's Mistake (The Princess Tales, #1)
  • The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)