Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Nominate March's BOTM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments It's time for book of the month nominations!

All books nominated must be listed in our ARR Program.
Please read BOTM Rules & Nomination Criteria

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nominations will close on February 24.

Polls then will be listed so members can vote on which books will become February's BOTM. Polls will close February 27.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Horsman (graylorne) Lioness of Kell by Paul E. Horsman

If chosen, I will provide free ebook copies in exchange for a review. Thanks!

message 4: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 11 comments Fire and Fangs (Blood and Flames, #1) by Josephine McNabb Josephine McNabb

Will provide free copies in hopes for some reviews, if chosen :)

message 5: by Colee (new)

Colee Firman (coleefirman) | 8 comments Caught Up In You by Colee Firman
Caught Up In You

New Adult Romance

Review copies will be provided if selected.

Thanks!

message 6: by Charles (last edited Jan 31, 2015 04:50PM) (new)

Charles Ameringer (cda1) | 21 comments The Old Spook by Charles Ameringer THE OLD SPOOK.

It's not your ordinary spy novel.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin Murarka (robinmurarka) Akin

Akin by Robin Murarka

A literary fiction adventure.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate my eBook please.
Fancy Pants Poetry by Agostino Scafidi

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Forward (zforward) Protecting His Witch (Keeper Of The Veil, #1) by Zoe Forward Will provide some free copies for those interested in reviewing. :)

message 10: by Roderick (new)

Roderick Vincent | 4 comments I'd like to nominate my debut novel The Cause (The Minutemen Series, #1) by Roderick Vincent and provide free eBooks with the hope for reviews as well. Thanks for your consideration.

message 11: by Alison (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:14AM) (new)

Alison Hello Heather,
May I nominateINCEPTIO, Inceptio (Roma Nova, #1) by Alison Morton which is the first of my alternate Roma Nova thrillers.

Hunted by a killer, New Yorker Karen Brown flees to her mother’s mysterious homeland, Roma Nova. She breaks up with her new lover, arrogant special forces officer Conrad Tellus. But she needs his help – the killer has set a vicious trap …

And I will be delighted to provide a pdf version for free if members would be kind enough to write a review.

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:31AM) (new)

Rebecca Elswick (wwwgoodreadscomrebeccaelswick) | 50 comments http://www.rebeccaelswick.com
I nominate my debut Mama's Shoes and I will provide copies for reviewers!!
Mama's Shoes was awarded the Mark of Quality Award and was a finalist for ForeWord's book of the year.
It is available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million.
http://www.amazon.com/Mamas-Shoes-Reb...

message 13: by Alain (new)

Alain D | 1 comments I would like to nominate the new philosophical-psychological-scientific title "Love Them Back to LIFE" by Ariane Page. A discovery journey inside our psyche and brain, a definite eye opener. It's a totally new approach to life and love rooted in both tradition and science. The 14X five stars reviews can describe the book better than I could.

message 14: by Grant (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:52AM) (new)

Grant Boshoff | 10 comments The Copy by Grant Boshoff

The Copy

Thriller

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 7 comments If it's not considered cheating, I'll nominate my own, and if mine is voted in, I too will gift a copy to anyone who is interested in reading it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
"Ice" is a paranormal crime thriller about a small, telepathically-connected community under attack by a powerful drug lord.
However, whatever book is chosen I will read and feature on my blog. If it is really outstanding, I will obtain the author's permission to feature it in my own book of the month club.

message 16: by Judy (last edited Jan 31, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Judy (emmagolden) | 6 comments The Paying guests by Sarah Waters The Paying Guests

message 17: by Luccia (new)

Luccia Gray | 9 comments I'd like to nominate my novel, All Hallows at Eyre Hall
As March BOTM
Readers are invited to experience the mystery and magic of a Victorian Gothic Romance with this inspiring and challenging novel, which is the breathtaking and compelling sequel to Jane Eyre.
If it is selected, I'll also gift a copy to those who wish to read, review, and/or discuss.

message 18: by Judy (last edited Jan 31, 2015 11:26AM) (new)

Judy (emmagolden) | 6 comments My latest novel, The Difficult Sister, is my nominee for March. Set on the remote southern Oregon coast, the second in the Emma Golden mystery series follows Emma and her friend Melody Wyatt, both women of a certain age, as they try to locate Melody's sister who has been out of touch since she moved to Bandon with a man she met on the internet. Free downloads of the e-book will be provided to anyone interested upon selection.

message 19: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Whaley | 5 comments I nominate Leaving Montana. Gifted eBook copies available to those interested.

Thank you.
Thomas Whaley

message 20: by Michael (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Michael McAfee (micahel_mcafee) | 15 comments I'd like to nominate A Backed Up John by Micahel McAfee A Backed Up John: A Story of Gods, Goddess, Mortals, and the Odd Stuff In-between. Gifted eBook copies available to those interested.
Thanks you Michael Mcafee

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Sastroredjo (lievedebs) | 5 comments Michael wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Backed Up John by Micahel McAfee A Backed Up John: A Story of Gods, Goddess, Mortals, and the Odd Stuff In-between. Gifted eBook copies available to those ..."

Story sound great

message 22: by Nicholette (new)

Nicholette Campbell (lovingmylife-goodreadscom) | 23 comments Soul Chaser Volume #1 by Nicholette Campbell

Can provide e-books for those interested for review.

message 23: by Karen (last edited Jan 31, 2015 06:53PM) (new)

Karen Dowdall (goodreadskddowdall) | 7 comments I would like to nominate "Protecting His Witch" by Zoe Forward. Protecting His Witch (Keeper Of The Veil, #1) by Zoe Forward

message 24: by Laura (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:56PM) (new)

Laura Gill Helen's Daughter

Again, I'd like to nominate my 2011 novel about Hermione, daughter of Menelaus and Helen of Sparta.

Is it okay to also nominate my more recent novel Knossos? I didn't see anything about more than one book, so if it's not okay, then I'll stick to the one nomination.

Knossos

Knossos spans the history of the Labyrinth from its founding in 6300 to its final abandonment in 1200 BC.

message 25: by Vanya D. (new)

Vanya D.  (vanya_drum) | 35 comments My nomination is Soundings Water Elemental by Janine Donoho , a paranormal mystery/thriller/romance. Of course, e-copies would be provided to interested readers. Happy reading!

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Tutor (margaret_tutor) | 5 comments Just Passing Through by Margaret Tutor Just Passing Through by Margaret Tutor

message 27: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Le Page (maggielepage) | 21 comments I nominate my new release, The Trouble With Dying by Maggie Le Page The Trouble With Dying.

It's chick lit suspense with romance and paranormal tossed in. :)

I'm happy to provide ebooks to anyone interested. (Sample available on Amazon if you want to get a feel for it first.)

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill Heather wrote: "It's time for book of the month nominations!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-..."

But February only has 28 days.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda_marie_siemen) | 20 comments Dawn Brower's A Treasured LilyA Treasured Lily A Treasured Lily by Dawn Brower

message 30: by Nathan (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:53PM) (new)

Nathan (NJPancakes) | 1 comments A Treasured Lily by Dawn Brower A Treasured Lily

message 31: by Heather (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments Laura wrote: "Heather wrote: "It's time for book of the month nominations!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/sh..."

Fixed. Thank you.

message 32: by Ariane (new)

Ariane Page (arianepage) | 3 comments "Love Them Back to LIFE" by Ariane Page

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Moyer | 5 comments I will offer free ebook for review if selected. Thank you!

A Mother's Climb Out Of Darkness: A Story about Overcoming Postpartum Psychosis

A Mother's Climb Out Of Darkness A Story about Overcoming Postpartum Psychosis by Jennifer H. Moyer

message 34: by Sorchia (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:07AM) (new)

Sorchia DuBois | 17 comments With a great sense of the hubris involved, I nominate Just Like Gravity by Sorchia DuBois. I'll make a limited number of free e-copies available to any who want to review the book.
Just Like Gravity by Sorchia DuBois First come basis.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill Do authors have to offer free e-copies to readers? I can't afford to do so.

message 36: by Sorchia (new)

Sorchia DuBois | 17 comments Laura wrote: "Do authors have to offer free e-copies to readers? I can't afford to do so."

Laura, if you have your book in a pdf file, you can convert it to the other formats and then just email those document. Then you have no cost. Do a Google search for Pdf to mobi or whatever you need to do and you'll find free sites that do that.

message 37: by Laura (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:12PM) (new)

Laura Gill Sorchia wrote: "Laura wrote: "Do authors have to offer free e-copies to readers? I can't afford to do so."

Laura, if you have your book in a pdf file, you can convert it to the other formats and then just email ..."

That's not what I meant. I meant that I can't afford to offer my books for free, regardless of format.

Am I shooting myself in the foot here, and obliterating my chances of winning? I don't know. What are the voters basing their decision on? Other groups that have BOTM with author participation don't have an expectation of free copies, which leads me to ask: Have the other suthors really considered this question when nominating themselves? As an author with several books out, it strikes me as an amateur move. Money is supposed to flow toward the author, not away from. Are those offering free copies so desperate to win that they're willing to lose sales to do so? Suppose fifty people participate in the poll/reading? Are you really willing to lose revenue for fifty copies that may or may not generate reviews or additional sales? Self-published books don't sell that much; it might take you years to recoup that loss, if you ever do. My e-book Helen's Daughter is $5.99. $6.00 X 50 is $300.00. That's about a year's sales if I'm fortunate. That's money I need to pay bills. Suppose a hundred people looking for a free book decide to participate. That's $600.

Am I out of the running because of that? Am I considered selfish? I like sharing stories, but writing is also a job and like any job the author expects to reap some financial benefit. Are those who will only participate if they get a freebie asking too much? I do feel that the offer of free books creates an uneven playing field, and that the mods reconsider allowing this. The Review section is the place to look for free-to-read-and-review copies. Both Helen's Daughter and Knossos were offered for free-read-and-review when they were published.

message 38: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Le Page (maggielepage) | 21 comments Personally, Laura, I have no qualms whatsoever in offering free books via this kind of forum, which is all about people who love books. To me BOTM represents a great opportunity to get my book seen by more readers and I am more than happy to provide this core group of readers with a free ecopy. I see it as a small price for a potentially large return - ie word of mouth and future readers.

We all have to decide whether we're happy to offer ecopies or not, but I would hate to see the mods disallowing this as an option.

Maggie

message 39: by Sorchia (new)

Sorchia DuBois | 17 comments Ah--I understand. My little Scottish soul squeaks every time I send a free book--no matter what I hope to get from that donation. I limit the number of free copies I send. I've been burned more than once--giving away a book and never seeing a review from that person. As a new author, I think I need to do this a bit more than you as an established author would. By this time next year, I'll be limiting those free copies even more. I don't think you are required to offer free books for BOTM--only if you are seeking reviews--but I'm new :) I do like the idea of more people becoming familiar with my writing--but there definitely is a limit to how much of it I will give away for free.

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 29 comments Nominating The Dazzling Darkness The Dazzling Darkness by Paula Cappa The Dazzling Darkness
A supernatural mystery. Do you believe in ghosts?

I'm happy to gift this ebook on Amazon for Kindle or for Nook on Barnes and Noble, or supply PDF. Soft cover is also available, published by Crispin Books.

The Dazzling Darkness is a BRONZE MEDAL WINNER at Readers' Favorite Book Award for Supernatural Fiction, 2014 ★★★★★

Also GOTHIC READERS BOOK CLUB CHOICE AWARD WINNER, 2013

Paula

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason Pellegrini (jpellegrini) | 11 comments I'd like to nominate my debut mystery/thriller, The Replacement, as the March BotM. I will be happy to provide free e-book copies in exchange for an honest review!

Below is the blurb that appears on the back of my book and a link to the book's Goodreads page! I hope you choose me because I truly believe I have written an exciting novel!

After a violent altercation with an infamous New York City drug lord, Patrick Sullivan believed his career in law enforcement was over. Yet, not even a year after his resignation, he finds himself back on the job. This time, a detective in the homicide unit.

While battling the ghosts of his past, Patrick and his new partner, veteran detective Jonathan Hawkins, find themselves chasing a killer who is constantly one step ahead of them.

As the body count increases and no substantial leads are discovered, tension between the two cops threatens to boil over. They attempt to coexist as they hunt down a sadistic serial killer who does more than just take his victims' lives.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Laura wrote: "Sorchia wrote: "Laura wrote: "Do authors have to offer free e-copies to readers? I can't afford to do so."

Laura, if you have your book in a pdf file, you can convert it to the other formats and ..."

Think of it as an investment in advertising. I always see a sales spike after freebie, and reviews.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill Heather wrote: "Laura wrote: "Sorchia wrote: "Laura wrote: "Do authors have to offer free e-copies to readers? I can't afford to do so."

Laura, if you have your book in a pdf file, you can convert it to the othe..."

Two or three free copies is an investment, fifty is shooting yourself in the foot.

I honestly don't want to drag this out. We all have our own opinions about promotion. I just want to be clear that I will not be providing free copies if I should somehow manage to make BOTM.

message 44: by Angela (last edited Feb 25, 2015 11:46PM) (new)

Angela Cavanaugh | 4 comments I'd like to nominate my novel Otherworlders. Otherworlders by Angela Cavanaugh

When a virus threatens humanity with extinction, the desperate and dwindling number of uninfected seek refuge in a parallel universe. The technology is untested. The other universe is unprepared and one thing is made violently clear: they are not wanted.

I'd be happy to supply digital copies of the book for read and review if chosen. And have done so before.

message 45: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 1 comments I'd like to nominate Tomorrow Is A Long Time. Tomorrow Is A Long Time by Tabitha Vohn

It blends fated love, Old Hollywood, and time travel into a tale in which a beloved actor and a talented violinist defy the boundaries of age and time in order to create the life they want. It will challenge you to consider the impact that one individual can have on another life.

Of course, I will gladly supply free digital copies to those willing to read/review.

Thanks for considering it :0)

message 46: by John (new)

John Mathews (johnmathews) | 13 comments Consider my psychological thriller novel, A Game of Greed and Deception, for book of the month.

Can one man's determination overcome a sadistic woman's sinister, greedy plot? I challenge you to figure this one out. If Gone Girl kept you guessing until the end, then my book will knock your socks off. Free copies for all who will leave a review.

message 47: by Marie (last edited Feb 09, 2015 10:18AM) (new)

Marie Lavender | 31 comments I would like to nominate Second Nature, book one of the Blood at First Sight Series.

Second Nature (Blood at First Sight Series, #1) by Marie Lavender

There is suspense, romance and the supernatural.

Free copies in exchange for an honest review.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 7 comments John wrote: "Consider my psychological thriller novel, A Game of Greed and Deception, for book of the month.

Can one man's determination overcome a sadistic woman's sinister, greedy plot? I challenge you to fi..."

I will second john's nomination. His book is a thrill ride

message 49: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (RhiannonWellman) | 16 comments Lightson Dynasty by Rhiannon Wellman
Lightson Dynasty
I'd like to nominate my own book. I can see that people have already offered a free copy for reviewers and I would too just leave your name on the ARR post. I sincerely hope you like this book.

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Smith (karenvictoriasmith) | 1 comments I nominate Lightson Dynasty by Rhiannon Wellman.

« previous 1