What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Suggestions for memoirs about being raised by hippie/crunchy/alternative parents?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarereads) | 27 comments My crunchy mama club is looking for memoirs about being raised by hippie/crunchy/alternative parents. Like the glass castle but with better parents. Recs?

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments I don't think this is a request for a specific book. Possibly in the wrong category?

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hydrolagus) | 94 comments On a rather lighter front, there's Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection.

message 6: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 311 comments Mike wrote: "I don't think this is a request for a specific book. Possibly in the wrong category?"

Oh I know: I was suggesting "Running etc", it's the first title that came to mind, although I haven't read it so I'm not 100% sure it fits

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Berslow | 108 comments How Not to Be Popular is YA fiction, not a memoir, but the MC did have crazy hippie parents. And i loved that book! I would recommend it to anyone.

message 9: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne Wetzel | 3 comments Chelsea Cain's first book, Dharma Girl, is a memoir.

message 10: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Alternative yes, crunchy not so much, but have you guys read Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money

"In the late ‘70s, at the age of 18, and with a seventh-grade education, Dolly Freed wrote Possum Living about the five years she and her father lived off the land on a half-acre lot outside of Philadelphia. Known for its plucky narration and no-nonsense practical advice on how to live frugally while keeping up a middle class facade, at the time of its original publication, Possum Living became an instant classic."

She went on to be an aerospace engineer, having pretty much self-educated herself out of the public library. The book is a real hoot to read, I think a book club would have a grand time with it. Tin House even has a book club guide: http://www.tinhouse.com/possum-living...

There's some neat videos and other info here:
http://www.resilience.org/stories/201...

(Yes I adore this book, and Dolly Freed)

message 11: by HeavyReader (last edited Feb 11, 2015 08:51AM) (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Teresa wrote: "On a rather lighter front, there's Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection."

I love this book! Highly recommended.

You might also like The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom by Katherine Arnoldi.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 14: by theStorykeeper (new)

theStorykeeper | 66 comments Wild Life: Dispatches from a Childhood of Baboons and Button-Downs is about a woman whose parents were scientists studying baboons, so she spent most of her childhood on a campsite in the African wilderness