On Paths Unknown discussion

Dune (Dune #1)
This topic is about Dune

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jonfaith | 50 comments John Boehner didn't ask me to open this folder, nor did an election in the Knesset. My present interests in Medieval Studies and contemporary theory have sort of coalesced in this particular novel's direction. The specifics of causality remain unclear.

message 2: by Traveller (last edited Jan 24, 2015 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Traveller (moontravlr) | 2524 comments Mod
That's an interesting take on it, Jonfaith - have you got a timeframe that you were thinking of working in?

The group is generally quite busy until late March - were you in a tearing hurry? (As in for now?)

Derek (derek_broughton) I'm so in for this, whenever it happens. Dune is one of the great novels of SF. The series went downhill fast after the first novel, but there's no doubting that Dune is a classic, and the next two were still great books.

Jonfaith | 50 comments No rush, nor worries.

If you guys want this to be a 'big' read/discussion instead of just a buddy read, shall we slot it in for early April and move Margaret Atwood up a bit for later? Who will volunteer to be the discussion leader? Jonfaith? Or perhaps one or both of you, Derek or Cecily who have a bit of experience with how our discussions tend to work?

Derek (derek_broughton) Trying to avoid Atwood, Traveller? :-)

This is Jon's choice, and I don't want to steal it from him, but if he wants somebody else to lead a discussion, I'm game.

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Trying to avoid Atwood, Traveller? :-)."

Not at all, - I've been meaning to read more Atwood for the longest time, but as you know, I've been trying to get away from the SF & F genres a bit....I'm starting to think we should have an SF&F corner, and then an "Everything Else" corner, just so everyone can be happy. :)

It just seems that a lot of people are interested in Dune, including yourself, ;) and Jon has never asked for a discussion before, so I am eager to please the more shy and reticent members... :P

I personally won't have time, but what I just said...

In fact, if you like we can still have our Atwood poll and do Dune alongside the Atwood. How okay are you with doing two discussions side-by-side, Derek? I was thinking of either getting someone to be discussion leader for Atwood, or doing it myself, but it would be preposterous if you yourself didn't join in on the Atwood, since you've been nudging about it for a while now. :)

But wait you guys, Jonfaith did this folder - this is his baby. He must decide. I kind of feel as if we're... being a bit overwhelming here? :P

Jonfaith | 50 comments What do we duly do about the Dune? What works for people?

Just keep in mind that we're already committed for In the Night Garden for February and for City of Saints and Madmen for March, so would you like me to advertise Dune for April, Jonfaith?

Jonfaith | 50 comments Sounds grand, though like Rick Blaine - I never plan that far in advance (wink).

message 13: by Traveller (last edited Jan 25, 2015 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonfaith wrote: "Sounds grand, though like Rick Blaine - I never plan that far in advance (wink)."

In that case, why don't you start right now, right here? XD
Choice is yours. :)

Jonfaith | 50 comments Are we asking (I love the torque in that expression) whether to advertise for April or to defer our advertisement? Is it possible that someone wishes to begin now?

message 15: by Traveller (last edited Jan 25, 2015 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonfaith wrote: "Are we asking (I love the torque in that expression) whether to advertise for April or to defer our advertisement? Is it possible that someone wishes to begin now?"
Hrrr hmmm,(yes?) I was trying to figure how best to interpret: I never plan that far in advance (wink). :P Oh, what is the internet a wonderful thing potential minefield for misunderstandings....

Jonfaith | 50 comments I promise to no longer cite Casablanca when asked about starting dates for Dune. I hope.

well, they've abandoned my 1984 discussion, whaaa

Jonfaith | 50 comments Who, who is this "they"? I'll admonish them at every turn. Tsk, tsk.

message 19: by Yolande (new)

Yolande  (sirus) | 246 comments Traveller wrote: "well, they've abandoned my 1984 discussion, whaaa"

I'm so sorry about that. I don't like signing up for a discussion and then not following through. I felt bad about it right after I posted. I'll try and catch up! [Running quickly away before Jonfaith gets me]

Derek (derek_broughton) Traveller is just a mite premature. The 1984 discussion is running too fast for me to keep up: we're over 100 posts on the first thread....

message 21: by Saski (last edited Jan 27, 2015 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saski (sissah) | 399 comments I'm more up for Dune than the Atwood (in fact hers is one of the few you all have mentioned that would be a reread for me that I wasn't eager for). So from my perspective both at the same time would be great for me because then I would still have a read to do (did that make any sense?)

Ruth wrote: "I'm more up for Dune than the Atwood (in fact hers is one of the few you all have mentioned that would be a reread for me that I wasn't eager for). So from my perspective both at the same time wou..."

Oh goodie, okay...but..but... then i won't have either you or Derek, and I'm suspecting maybe Puddin, i suspect... so mm, but since Derek wants Atwood, oh and Puddin too... then... don't know how they feel about simultaneous reads? O(:-)

message 23: by Derek (last edited Jan 27, 2015 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Derek (derek_broughton) Simultaneous reads? I'm still discussing (though finished) Neverwhere, reading 1984 here, starting The Door into Summer for another group on Sunday, and still debating whether to buy a copy & jump into a discussion of Station Eleven. [AND ready to read Dune any time we choose to do it]

I laugh at simultaneous reads. Ha-Ha!

Okay then. ;)

Jonfaith | 50 comments Are we agreeing to be polite and simply grin? I've no problem with political rituals of the first world.

Jonfaith wrote: "Are we agreeing to be polite and simply grin? I've no problem with political rituals of the first world."
See? Sometimes people need pushy people like myself around. ;) :D
Maybe we should let Derek jump in here since he has some experience with these kinds of discussions? Come Mr Derek, where are you?

Jonfaith | 50 comments Any Dune Deliberations being presently percolated? I feel estranged today. A trip to the bookshop was a null gain. I bought the Decemberists for my wife at underground sounds and I picked up F Is For Fake at my dying video store Wild and Woolly. While not exactly moribund, I do feel an anachroism.

message 28: by Traveller (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I feel your pain, Jonfaith. Are you reading this yet? Okay, let's do this. I am going to send out a message for both In The Night Garden, and For Dune. For Dune starting tomorrow, would that work?

Jonfaith | 50 comments Thanks for the empathy. It isn't an instance of burning urgency to read Dune. I just wanted some sense of structure as to when we would embark.

message 30: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted | 20 comments I would LOVE to reread Dune, it's been decades since I first read it. I would really try to participate in this.

Let's see how the roll call goes! Anybody interested in joining, what would be a good-ish date for you?

Hi Ted, so nice to see you! Any input on a date that would suit you?

message 32: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted | 20 comments I guess I would just try to fit it in whenever. (view spoiler)

Ted wrote: "I guess I would just try to fit it in whenever. [spoilers removed]"

I think all the participants agree that it would be better as a casual affair?
Let's see if more people show interest, shall we?
Ted, please feel free to invite friends if you like, since we need to swell the numbers.:)

Saski (sissah) | 399 comments I actually would be happier if it occurred after I got back home. I want to use my'hard' copy (with my notes) and don't want to carry back and forth between continents. Does that sound too selfish? I'll be back March 18th.

message 35: by Traveller (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonfaith, and Ted, would you be okay with us setting it for let's say March 20?
That might actually suit my own nefarious needs very well, since early March has already been earmarked for our Vandermeer discussion. :)

message 36: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted | 20 comments Traveller wrote: "Jonfaith, and Ted, would you be okay with us setting it for let's say March 20?
That might actually suit my own nefarious needs very well, since early March has already been earmarked for our Vand..."

That would be fine.

message 37: by Traveller (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Done deal. :) And since Derek has already read City of Saints and Madmen, and has declared himself a multi-book reader, I'm assuming we can relatively safely add him to the discussion as well.

"Jonfaith wrote: "What I'm hoping for is not a geo-political approach to Dune but one larded equally with medieval and philosophical filigree.
"

I admit I might be interested in the medieval and philosophical filigree that Jonfaith mentions there.

Saski (sissah) | 399 comments Thank you, everybody!

Jonfaith | 50 comments What a welcome sabbath treat!

Derek (derek_broughton) Traveller wrote: "Done deal. :) And since Derek has already read City of Saints and Madmen, and has declared himself a multi-book reader, I'm assuming we can relatively safely add him to the discussion as well."

Did I say I'd read City of Saints and Madmen? I haven't, but I am going to. I've got three reads on the go right now (and that's with just having finished a book a few minutes ago). Must finish 1984. And just remembered to put In the Night Garden on hold. I should have that by Thursday. I'm ready for Dune whenever we want to start.

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Traveller wrote: "Done deal. :) And since Derek has already read City of Saints and Madmen, and has declared himself a multi-book reader, I'm assuming we can relatively safely add him to the disc..."

Goodie! We have tentatively agreed on March 20, so, if you agree, we're all in agreement at this point. :)

Derek (derek_broughton) Looks good to me.

message 43: by Traveller (last edited Feb 19, 2015 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Did you guys know about this? Jodorowsky's Dune

Jonfaith | 50 comments Saw the preview recently. It reminds me of the docs about Terry Gilliam's Quixote and some project by Orson Welles which never materialized because of funding issues. No surprise, that.

I always find crashed projects which never saw the light of day so sad.

message 46: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted | 20 comments Fourteen hours long? No wonder they ran out of money, just lugging the script around.

Has anyone ever played the boardgame Dune? (Avalon Hill) It's possible there would be a way to play it over the web. (Not in March mind you.) I have it.

By the way, I'm thinking of starting to read the book. I figure I need a head start if I'm ever to be able to finish by whenever, sometime in March?

Jonfaith | 50 comments My buried neglected nerd self sprang to life after 30 years of neglect when you mentioned a Dune game by avalon hill!

message 48: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted | 20 comments Jonfaith wrote: "My buried neglected nerd self sprang to life after 30 years of neglect when you mentioned a Dune game by avalon hill!"

Have you ever played it Jon? I was looking at it the other night, can't remember if I've ever played it or not. Maybe I tried playing it solitaire. It seems to be a pretty cool game. Or was it just "Avalon Hill" that awoke the nerd self?

Jonfaith | 50 comments Yes Avalon Hill. I just peeked at amazon and folks are selling their dune games for two hundred a pop. oh well. I really liked Squad Leader though the politics and the ethics of such now make me squirm.

message 50: by Traveller (last edited Feb 19, 2015 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted wrote: "Has anyone ever played the boardgame Dune? (Avalon Hill) It's possible there would be a way to play it over the web. (Not in March mind you.) I have it..."

Pity there's not an actual videogame of - oh wait, there is. Not sure if it's multiplayer, though.

« previous 1