Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Time for a Series Read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jan 21, 2015 08:26AM) (new)

Kathi | 3218 comments Mod
It has been mentioned in a couple discussion threads that maybe it's time for another series read.

There has been interest in both Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 hefty volumes) and Katharine Kerr's Deverry series (12 books if you count the original Deverry series, the 4 Westlands books, and the 4 Dragon Mage books).

Are people interested? Is this OK with the mods? Do we need a poll?

Just looking for some guidance about this. Thanks!

message 2: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments If there are a few people who want to read along - and someone who would like to lead the discussion (Kathi?) - I figure it's fine to facilitate that with a dedicated folder and such anytime people would like to read together. But we should try to alert everyone who might be interested, as well.

If you like, we can mention it in the poll email that will go out tomorrow, as well as in the Welcome To... message on the 1st, to draw people here to weigh in.

I don't know that we need a poll unless people are trying to choose between series to read. If you know that you want to read the Devvery series, we can just make that happen for any members who want to get involved. :)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 604 comments I've just ordered Daggerspell from the library

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
I'm interested in either series! Can't promise to participate in time - baby girl expected in May so my reading time will be severely curtailed - but I'll get there eventually!

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I somehow managed to miss that you mentioned two different series, Kathi. Serves me right for posting while doing other things.

I'll watch this thread for a couple of days to see if you all hash it out here, and then I can throw up a poll if you decide you want/need one to decide between series. (I'll still mention this discussion in my poll email.)

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments I'm interested in the Malazan books. Not so much in the Deverry series. I read Daggerspell back in the late 80s and didn't like it very much.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm interested in Deverry having read the first eight so long ago I'd have to reread to read on to the other five! Having said that, I hear good things about the other so might join and see.

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Helen wrote: "I'm interested in Deverry having read the first eight so long ago I'd have to reread to read on to the other five! Having said that, I hear good things about the other so might join and see."

Helen, I'm in the same boat as you regarding the first 8 Deverry books--they would be a reread for me as well. I really want to tackle Malazan but figure I might need/want the support of a group while reading it. I've heard it's quite dense.

Let's see who else chimes in. I'm willing to "lead" the discussions either way but I will be traveling both this winter and in summer and hope that won't interfere.

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I will vote for Malazan...love me some Malazan! I think the complexity of Malazan is it's HUGE scope.

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Sounds like we need a vote. I'd be up for either series, personally, so I'm cool either way!

message 11: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Guys, I totally spaced on adding a link to this discussion when I sent the broadcast email for the polls today, and Goodreads only allows one broadcast per day. I'll send a note out tomorrow!

message 12: by Random (last edited Jan 22, 2015 11:31AM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments Are we just looking at these two series, or will we be open to other nominations? I remember a while back there was interest in doing the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust that I'd also be game for if there was still interest.

message 13: by Tani (new)

Tani | 132 comments I might be interested in participating as well. I've been a slacker about series in recent years, so it might be nice to have something to keep me on track. I would lean toward the Malazan books, but am not terribly picky, and am just intrigued by doing a series read in general. :)

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I think there should at least 5 things to vote on before it should be considered a poll or list.

message 15: by Shel, Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:32AM) (new)

Kevin wrote: "I think there should at least 5 things to vote on before it should be considered a poll or list."

I disagree; why shouldn't we vote even if there are just a few choices? How would we decide otherwise?

message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I just sent out the broadcast message, so hopefully members who weren't previously aware of this thread will stop in. :)

message 17: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Rocourt (krocourt) | 38 comments It's very ironic that this discussion comes up. I just added the first books in the Malazan series to my to read list. But here's the thing, where do you start? The books of the Malazan Empire are written by Ian C. Esslemont and Steven Erikson. According to Goodreads the Malazan series starts with Forge of Darkness by Erikson as the Kharkanas Trilogy. Than book three is the first book in the Malazan Empire by Esslemont with Night of Knives. Than The Malazan Book of the Fallen starts that series from Erikson. So where would you start? Sorry Candiss I remember the Eternal Champion thing we had a while back. While not as confusing as that was this is still a twister.

message 18: by Helen (last edited Jan 23, 2015 12:02PM) (new)

Helen Maggie wrote: "I will vote for Malazan...love me some Malazan! I think the complexity of Malazan is it's HUGE scope."

Well, you are Queen of the Malazan,lol.

message 19: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 114 comments I'm definitely interested in reading the Malazan series in a group read. I read the first one years back and have meaning to read the rest but year after year goes by and I just don't. I think a group read of the series would inspire me.

message 20: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I'm interested re-reading the Deverry books. At this time, I don't dare commit myself for the Malazan series but I'll try to tag along if you go for it.

message 21: by Zachary (new)

Zachary Roner | 4 comments I am in for the Malazan series. I am two in, but I got sidetracked by many other books haha. This will help me get the rest of them in.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen Sounds like we need two series reads!

message 23: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments One at a time is enough. :)

message 24: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Thanks, Candiss, for sending out the message, and for others who have chimed in. I'm sensing more support for Malazan, but we can wait a couple more days to see who else has comments. I would propose maybe starting in mid-February (mid-month is when we have done other series reads so as to conflict less with the regular BOTM selections).

Kurt wrote: "But here's the thing, where do you start? "

My original question (in another thread) was about reading just the 10 Erikson books listed as The Malazan Book of the Fallen and not including all the prequels, side stories, etc., and in the first post in this thread, that is what I was suggesting. Others can certainly add more side reads if they wish.

Helen wrote: "Sounds like we need two series reads!"

I would be up for that!!

message 25: by Raavyn (new)

Raavyn (Raavyn_Cloud) | 3 comments Although I just joined a few hours ago, I would read through Malazan. I actually have Book 1 of malazan that I just picked up to read. I was going to read something else first, but if everyone here is going to read it, I can bump it up a notch and start the series with everyone :-) I've heard it's a good series.

message 26: by Juston (new)

Juston Fenton I think I'd be keen for Malazan.

message 27: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments I've been intending to start reading the Malazan series in 2015 as Gardens of the Moon has been on my shelf for about 2 years. I can't promise that I can follow on a monthly basis but if we decide to read it as a group, it would be the perfect incentive to pick it up.

message 28: by Andy (new)

Andy | 8 comments I vote for Malazan.

message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments I would be interested in Deverry Series Read. I would not be interested in participating in a Malazan Series read(sorry).

message 30: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm currently working through the Deverry books so I'd love a series read for both the discussion and keeping me on track.

message 31: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments I just started reading Deverry, so I'd love to participate in a group read for that! Malazan is on my giant TBR list but there's no way I'd get to it this year.

message 32: by Sumant (new)

Sumant I would be interested in Deverry as I have already finished reading malazan :P.

message 33: by Raavyn (new)

Raavyn (Raavyn_Cloud) | 3 comments Is this something we would all start reading right away or a couple months from now?

message 34: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 1 comments I'm very interested in a Malazan read too. (Got 3 books into it a couple of years ago, long break because reasons, want to get back in!)

message 35: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments The thing with malazan is that they are very dense chunksters.

message 36: by Kevin (last edited Jan 24, 2015 06:40AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I already know another group that has already started reading the whole Malazan series this month.

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine | 604 comments I'm not in the mood for a dense read so won't be reading the Malazan series

message 38: by Helen (new)

Helen Looks like we need a vote as they both seem to be getting a lot of interest. Although, Kathi and I want both ;)

message 39: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments why don't we read the first books of both series and see what commitment we have from there?

message 40: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments Antonis wrote: "why don't we read the first books of both series and see what commitment we have from there?"

That may be an idea.... have we read them in here yet?

message 41: by Margot (new)

Margot (freezebaby) I think we may have read Gardens of the Moon (the first Erikson book) in this group before. I would definitely consider joining in for Malazan. Read the first three but then got distracted by too many other books to read and haven't picked it back up. Because they're so thick and dense, would perhaps be nice to allocate a month and a half to each, rather than just a month.

message 42: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 114 comments Kevin wrote: "I already know another group that has already started reading the whole Malazan series this month."

Kevin, which group?

message 43: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Margot wrote: "I think we may have read Gardens of the Moon (the first Erikson book) in this group before."

We did, I think back in 2006, if I am reading the shelved books correctly. (And in looking for that, I found we also read the first book of the Deverry series in 2003. And I found a ton of other books whose discussions I should go back and look at!)

Antonis wrote: "why don't we read the first books of both series and see what commitment we have from there?"

I don't think I can read both series at once. If people want to do both, I would suggest doing one first, then the other.

Raavyn wrote: "Is this something we would all start reading right away or a couple months from now?"

My thought would be to have the first book discussion start in mid-February and run for a month. We could wait until mid-March if people prefer more time to get the book(s) and start reading.

message 44: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

An informal counting of the opinions expressed here shows 16 people who stated a preference for the Malazan books and 9 who expressed a preference for the Deverry books. I counted people who would like to do both.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes and don't want to usurp the role of a mod, but my thinking, based on what I've seen here, is to read the Malazan series and then read the Deverry series. My preference is to start the first Malazan book in mid-February (it is not as long as some of the later books), so people would have from now until mid-March to read and join the conversation. And, since the discussions stay available, people can always join in later, too.

Thoughts?

message 45: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Whatever you folks want to do is good with the mods. We will facilitate you however the Goodreads tools allow.

Shall I throw up a poll? If so, what do you want as options - just series a or b, or shall it include a/b/both-with-a-first/both-with-b-first/both-concurrently?

Or some other set of options?

message 46: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm happy to follow Kathi's outline. Malazan then Deverry. I have book one ready.

message 47: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Sorry for chiming in late, but I wanted to say that I'd be all in for the Deverry series read, but I'm not really interested in the Malazon series.
If you start with Malazon, how long would that take the group, approximately? (No idea how many books are in that series.)

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments mark wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I already know another group that has already started reading the whole Malazan series this month."

Kevin, which group?"

Its a booktuber group: www.goodreads.com/group/show/152306-f...

Most of them are pretty new to the genre, mostly with adult fantas, mostly only Brandon Sanderson since about June of last year.

message 49: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I'd be happy with either series, but please let's not do them concurrently; I want to read both but won't have time to read both at the same time!

message 50: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Carolyn wrote: "If you start with Malazon, how long would that take the group, approximately? (No idea how many books are in that series.) "

10 Books.
If they do one book a month, 10 months. If they do Malazan I would suggest one every other month. Most if them are huge, 1000+ per book.

« previous 1