Insomnia Book Club discussion

Reading Challenges > Insomnia Book Club's 2015 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer, Bookworm (last edited Jan 18, 2015 10:52PM) (new)

Jennifer | 1553 comments Mod
Insomnia Book Club now has a 2015 Reading Challenge. The challenge is simple, just complete each task in the challenge as the year goes along. Want to discuss the books that you're reading for this challenge? You can do so here or on I.B.C's blog page for the challenge in the comments section. Already picked out your books ahead of time for this challenge? Feel free to post your picks here as well.

To view the challenge on the blog click here, starting tomorrow.

To view the challenge within our goodreads group click here.

message 2: by Dhfan4life (last edited Jul 14, 2015 08:30PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I can't believe I did it but I found 12 books to read for this. And save for a few looks like I'm all about the history in one form or fashion with this challenge for the most part.

Book published this year Flight from Death (Fly by Night, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn

Book with 500 pages The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal

Book with one word title Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

First book fave author ever wrote(should have stuck with my fave genre in the first place!) Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1) by Sydney Croft

Book made into a movie(saw the movie and loved it) Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Favorite re-read book(first re-read book ever actually) The Naughty List by KyAnn Waters

Book most everyone has read(saw the movie of this too) Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Book set in city or state or country you live Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Book I own and have yet to read The Spymistress by Jennifer Chiaverini

Book with a color in the title Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier

Book published in my birth year-1986(and took forever to find a good one!) Grania She-King of the Irish Seas by Morgan Llywelyn

Book I chose cause it had a nice cover(which is damn hard for a cover ho like myself to do! LOL) His Mistress (Self-Made Men Series #2) by Monica Burns

Woot! I finished my 12 books before this fall!

message 3: by Jennifer, Bookworm (last edited Feb 04, 2015 01:26PM) (new)

haha good choices sis. cant wait to see what u think of halfway to the grave. ur book pick for ur birth year sounds really cool. if u like it i might add it to my tbr list XD.

my book picks:

Book published this year - The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Mead

Book that's at least 500 pages long - Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

Book with one word in the title - Azagoth (1001 Dark Nights, #6; Lords of Deliverance, #5.5; Demonica, #10.5) by Larissa Ione

First book written by favorite author - Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel, #1) by R.L. Mathewson

Book that was made into a movie - Jaws by Peter Benchley

Favorite re-read - Undertow (Cutter Cay #1) by Cherry Adair

Book that almost everyone but you have read - Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

Book set in your state/city - This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

Book with a color in the title - Blue Skies by Catherine Anderson

Book that came out the year you were born - Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood

Book you chose because it had a nice cover - Synthetic Dreams by Kim Knox

Edit: Forgot one of the books for the tasks.

Book that I own and have yet to read - Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) by Kelley Armstrong

message 4: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Looks like a good mix sis. :)

message 5: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

thanks sis ^.^

message 6: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Yea, so I think I'm going to put mine up in my currently reading so I can keep track of when I do ACTUALLY start reading some books for this challenge and not confuse myself going back and forth.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula | 15 comments my book picks :

Book published this year- Never Never
Book that's at least 500 pages long - The Host
Book with only one word in the title -Fallen
First book written by favorite author - Carrie
Book that was made into a movie - City of Bones
re read one of your favorite book - River's End
Book most everyone has read- The Hunger Games
Book set in your contry ( Brazil) - Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas
Book that I own and have yet to read - The Analyst
Book with the collor in the title - Red Queen
Book that came out the year you were born - The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Book you chose because it had a nice cover - i have no idea, anyone have any suggestions

message 8: by Jennifer, Bookworm (last edited Jan 28, 2015 05:37PM) (new)

The Host is really good. It's way better than the movie. Carrie (the original) is a good movie XD but never read the book. City of Bones was a good movie but never read the book either rofl. The Hunger Games was a good book and never read The Perks of Being a Wallflower but a good friend of mine luvs it.

As far as book covers goes Dhfan4life would be a really good person to answer that one bc she's the cover queen when it comes to book covers, haha. The Divergent series has some nice covers if you haven't read that series and are interested in it. Or if you're interested in some shorter books you can take a look at my shelf for shorter reads (basically anything from 0 - under 300 pages). Some of them have nice covers. Just all in what you like really ^.^.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 9: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

Btw, that book The Analyst sounds really good. Hope you enjoy it!

message 10: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Pends on what genre you wishing to go for with good covers. But yes sis is right, the cover ho can help ya out. ;)

message 11: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

LOL sis XD

message 12: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

Dhfan4life wrote: "Yea, so I think I'm going to put mine up in my currently reading so I can keep track of when I do ACTUALLY start reading some books for this challenge and not confuse myself going back and forth."

good idea XD. sorry idk why i didnt respond to this o_o i thought i did unless u told me on yahoo :s

message 13: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Nope, I don't think I told you about it. But yea probably why(if anybody noticed) my currently list just grew over night.

message 14: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

haha its okies

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula | 15 comments thats nice guys thank you... its a hard decision choice these books, i hope enjoy too. if you have news tell me, please.

message 16: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Quite welcome Paula. But really any particular genre that you are partial to? Would hate to pick something and it's not what you would normally read.

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula | 15 comments i'm open to any suggestion, i like to read good books and i like romance, suspence, young adult or fiction but i read others genres too. i like to try new things. i don't know exactly what i don't like to read.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula | 15 comments thank you, these seem good books. I'll choose one or more to read, maybe later i could read all or what I liked more.

message 20: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Your welcome. Hopefully one of them stands out enough for you to try for the challenge and hey maybe can read the others later as you said.

message 21: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

Aha knew sis would have some ideas ^.^

message 22: by Dhfan4life (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:47PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I'm about to shoot Stardust in the ass though. I mean I love the movie and I know the book as to add in more details. But I didn't realize how heavy the tone of the book would be. Maybe the narrator's accent or something but man I tried the first cd last night and after coming off the lighter Redhead, I thought it would be similar given the movie. WRONG! But could be do to me being half sleepy. So I'll try it again today and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll probably have to switch it out.

Ok, giving it a second try was a good idea. Story going just as good as the movie. But some of the additional details about the land of fairie are a little bit as annoying as Alice in Wonderland a little bit. But still going better this second time around. And dude I didn't even realize this book had just 10 chapters to it. They just seem kind of longer do to the length of each section.

message 23: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments First one down!

message 24: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

woah O_O i seriously thought i replied to ur comments on stardust. sorry sis x.x.

dang o_o didnt realize the book was heavier than the movie. fortunately it went much better on the second try XD. i never read alice in wonderland rofl so idk. oooh. yeah some books have a smaller amount of chapters but theyre really long. congrats on finishing it! glad it worked out better than what it seemed like it. im gonna start my first one tonight. gonna start with Synthetic Dreams by Kim Knox

message 25: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Yea, I think it was just heavier cause I was trying to listen to it the first time I fell asleep. And I haven't read Alice in Wonderland either. It's just the land of fairie had the randomness and odd ball characters doing things, because that is just what the magical folk do, and out of nowhere. Like the hedges that ate people in Alice in Wonderland. So too were there the evil trees trying to take you out in Stardust, just for shits and giggles. But was still pretty good story.

I was just sad at how swiftly the last greedy prince to try and get the necklace to rule the kingdom died off just as swiftly as the others. And not knowing about his nephew, there was a line about, "since there are no more heirs to the land of Stromhold(not sure of the spelling), once Primeus passed, that was the last time for the ghostly brothers to be around" or something to that affect. Which was pretty sad. Even the witch that was after the star, kind of wandered away after using up so much of her magic and one final meeting with the star and Tristan. So as I said before still a good story in either book or movie version. And some differences that worked pretty well for both really. And will always rec either or too. Which NEVER happens, for the most part.

message 26: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

oooh. LOL aws.

that is sad :/. lmao that crazy queen. haha nice sis. i luved the movie XD. the book has been on my tbr list for a while

message 27: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments It is really great. And it was actually the author reading his own book on the audio. I was like some guy when I first heard it. Then flip over the back cover and it says plain as day and even on the beginning of the CD that the author was reading it himself. >_< I swear when I'm tired you can get just about a LOT past me, haha.

message 28: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

LMAO omg u poor thing -dead-. didnt know some authors narrate their own books tho O_O

message 29: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I didn't either. Hence he was some guy to me lol. Thankfully I will never be saying that to him in person though HAHA.

message 30: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

LOL! ure hilarious sis XD

message 31: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments ;)

message 32: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Okay, I'm switching books for first novel published. Going with some good ol' fashioned Larissa Ione as Sydney Croft, Riding the Storm. Can for sure get that one and save my wallet for the time being too, lol.

message 33: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

haha aws. O_O i didnt know she wrote that book. its on my tbr list -dead-. good idea on the wallet part XD.

finished synthetic dreams and omg O_O i enjoyed that book so much that i wish it was a series but at the same time not bc it prob woulda gotten dragged into the ground. the main chars were awesome and LOL for once i actually had a soft spot for the villain at the end of a book -dead-. gave it 5 stars XD. the world building was a bit diff and the story didnt exactly go how i thought it would based on the desc which in a way it was good bc it was like a surprise and not knowing everything about the book from the book desc rofl. id even consider re-reading it one day. def on the list of books to own ^.^

message 34: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Yea, and thankfully my library had it too. That is the series she writes with Stephanie Tyler.

Oh that is great sis. Was it a fuller length story or no? Great way to kick off your challenge with 5 stars by the way.

message 35: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

yays XD thats really good that they had it. oooh lmao more info i didnt know haha.

actually it was the shortest book on my list i think O_O. i "think" it was 103 pages or so. lmao ikr O_O. almost gave it 4 but then i was like no this deserves 5 :I

message 36: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I thought we had talked about this series before, though? Or maybe somebody else. Hmm.

Wow, well then that author definitely knows what they are doing. Another fave author I can imagine added to your shelf there.

message 37: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

i really dont remember tbh e.e

ikr. ironically idk if id really be interested in most of her other books but im gonna give one or two of em a try at least

message 38: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I'll let ya know about it either way though.

Ahh, good luck with the others when you get there. I know I won't be doing the rest of this Goddess series for sure. Still tempted by "Persephone's" tale. But the way this first one is going, not sure yet on even that one.

message 39: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

okies XD. hope its good. it sounds like it would be a really good read from the desc.

thanks, u too sis. oh man that sucks but on the bright side if u dont then thats one less series on the long list of series that u have to read

message 40: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments And yet not too good, or we be in the same predicament of another series to add to the pile lol.

Welkie and thanks in return. Ain't that the truth. But yea, the author's writing style not really doing it for me. And she already sorta ticked me off with a very pivotal part of the story as it is.

message 41: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

LOL that's very true.

ure welcome.oh wow O_O that sucks. ure really knocking ur challenges books down fast rofl

message 42: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments A damned if you do and damned if you don't lot for readers at times.

Oh the Goddess book is one of the library recs for me. Going to finish that one and then do the Second Empress one to get that out the way. And then the ones for review before doing the challenge ones. As I swear so many books jumped on me real quick this time.

message 43: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

ikr

oooh. sorry about that, must of got it mixed up since im on the sleepy end atm rofl. good luck with em sis! lmao aws its okies. i feel like im almsot in book overload too haha

message 44: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments No probs. Thankfully though they aren't so long that I can't get the library books out of the way quickly enough though. And the review books are short too. So yaaaay.

message 45: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

yays XD thats a plus

message 46: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Very much so.

message 47: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

on to Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs >.>. forgot to post rofl :I

message 48: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Good luck with it sis. :)

message 49: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new)

thanks sis ^.^

message 50: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments welkie

« previous 1