Start by marking “River's End” as Want to Read:
River's End

River's End

Olivia's parents were among Hollywood's golden couples…until the night a monster came and took her mother away forever. A monster with the face of her father...

Sheltered from the truth, an older Olivia only dimly recalls her night of terror—but her recurring nightmares make her realize she must piece together the real story. Assisted by Noah Brady, the son of the police
Mass Market Paperback, 443 pages
Published May 1st 2000 by Jove (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about River's End, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of River's End
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
2.5 stars.

I figured out the murderer's identity early, friends. Like really early. And I'm not particularly good at figuring out the murderer's identity.

On that basis, River's End disappointed me. I think that the In Death series, which Roberts writes as J.D. Robb, spoiled me. Those mysteries are superior, twisty and turny. Even if I'm not always surprised by the culprit, I never figure it out so early.

Ultimately, I rounded up because Nora Roberts has storytelling skills. Her books are
Bark
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
After reading a few too many lackluster, hard to get into and hard to stick with until the end novels this one reminded me of all the reasons I use to buy Nora Roberts books the minute they were released (can't do that anymore). Her characterization just grabs me from the first page and her books are difficult to break away from.

The book starts out when Olivia, the heroine, is only four and her storybook life with her beautiful movie-star mom comes to a horrific end. Olivia is the only witness
Jane Stewart
Illogical plotting. Not enjoyable. Bad audiobook narrator.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
I was annoyed with Sandra Burr. She has a nice voice for general narration and women, but she is awful with men. She lowers her voice to create weird male voices. One guy sounded like a B-movie robot. The hero wasn’t as bad, but there was no emotional interpretation in his voice. It was monotone and wooden.

Less of a problem, but it still annoyed me was her twang (southern-ish or hillbilly-ish). She said “hees” instead
Belinda
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars.

It broke my heart When I read the first chapters of this book. Poor Olivia. Who can do this to a little girl? The policeman who had the chase I took to my heart because he is human. That is one of the great things about the writting of Nora Roberts. The characters are real characters. The story lines well written. One of the things I did not like this time is that there are 4 parts of the book who are not connected with one an other in my opinion. I loved the blooming love between
Laura de Leon
This book was 3.5 stars for me. In deciding whether to list it here as 3 or 4 stars, I decided to round down, since my standards for Nora Roberts are pretty high.

I actually liked the first half quite a bit.

The book took its time setting up the primary romance, starting when Olivia was only 4 years old, and revisiting her at her first meeting with Noah when she was 12 (no romance) yet. Their next meeting (when she was 19) was full of sparks, which lead to some burns, and a refusal of all contact
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
This novel broke a lot of patterns for a romance novel. Much of the book was about Noah's book plans and huge swaths of the book were about the central mystery with Olivia completely absent. This might have worked better if the times we get with Olivia had been more pleasant. Which is my main problem with the book, I suppose. I really didn't care about Olivia. She was an emotional wreck, way beyond what is justified by her background (at least IMO). Or, to put it another way, someone who ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
And she floated, drifted, glided. She imagined herself a single white feather, weightless, spinning slowly, endlessly, through the soft green light of the forest. her heart swelled and its beat quieted to a thick, dull thud. The muscles in her stomach loosened and dipped. As she skimmed her fingers into his hair, tipped her head back in surrender, she could have wept from the discovery.
This, she thought, is life. Is beginnings. Is everything.

When Olivia was only four years old her movie star
Darcy
I was sucked into this one right away. There was something about the little girl Liv that made you want to protect her, to make sure that the monster never got her, that her mama would come back. That Liv had to see what she did was horrible, but even more chilling was the questioning in the aftermath by Detective Brady. Frank was so good with Liv and treated her gently that I found myself agreeing with adult Liv, that Frank is a great man.

Even when we met Noah as a child I wasn't sure about
Stacy
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good thriller, with an ending I never would have expected.
Priya
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Nora Roberts has written wonderfully the voice of a little child, who lost her mother. This is not just a regular romance book. The mystery part of the book was deeper and more interesting than the romance. All the characters will stay with me for a long time. Just a fantastic read.
Lacey Louwagie
This book had a lot in common with Nora Roberts' book Black Hills, which I really enjoyed. Both centered around a romantic couple that met in childhood and fell in love as adults; both featured a female protagonist who threw herself into a career with the natural world to avoid emotional entanglements; both included long-distance relationships [in which the man moved for the woman]; and both had a psycho-killer who endangered the female lead as a main antagonist.

All felt handled with more
Stacy
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Olivia MacBride and her parents, a fairy-tale Hollywood family, had everything--fame, fortune, and love. But when 4-year-old Olivia awakens one night to find her mother brutally murdered and her father, Sam, standing over her corpse, the little girl's dreamland dissolves before her very eyes.

Whisked away to the sanctuary of the Olympic Peninsula by her grandparents, Olivia learns to bury the past deep within her. Determined to protect herself from painful memories, Olivia limits her life to the
Julianne
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing

A friend from church recommended this book to me. As soon as I started listening to it, I realized I had read it before some years ago. It was still gripping and entertaining, all these years later. And when I came to the end, I was surprised again!

Olivia was only four years old when her mother died. The monster came, and the frightened child hid in the closet. The policeman found her there. She remembers only a few details of that night. Years later she meets the policeman again with his family
Jonetta
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical mystery or suspense but it has all of the elements to make it a really good story. Olivia is as complex as they come but Noah was the perfect man to help her tear down the walls she built to cope with the tragic circumstances of her childhood. While a suspect was imprisoned for the murder of Olivia's mother, you're never quite certain if the right person was brought to justice and this book takes you the distance.

To say anything more would ruin the experience for other
Patricia Kitzberger
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes romantic thrillers
Isn't it every woman's fantasy to make love to a hot guy on a river bank in the mountains?

The "villian" is someone you end up feeling sorry for. And at the end you love him and cry for him.

Unexpected twist at the end.

For a brief moment, I wanted to become a hiking guide. But then I came to my senses.
Christine Kirchoff
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is almost confusing in certain sections, I have to figure out which character is thinking what (Which is why head hopping is a big no-no). I did like the characters. The mystery is good. Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Julie Aldridge
Apr 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Don't you hate it when you solve the mystery in Chapter 2, but you keep reading it bc you are certain the book couldn't possibly be that simple..then it turns out the book is just as simple as you had feared and you wasted all of that time? Yeah...me, too.
Jess
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
"He took me to McDonald's. I feel in love over fish sandwiches and the sound of children laughing."

I will never read a Nora Roberts' novel again.

AWFUL
The Cats’ Mother
I've read a couple of her books before, and a couple of her as JD Robb, which on the whole I've preferred because I like the slightly sci-fi combination with the detective stories. I picked this up because I'm on a mission to get through my book club pile and the blurb sounded good. On the positive side, she is a good storyteller and the plot certainly kept me going right through a lazy Labour Day. I liked the descriptions of the Washington forest and felt like booking a holiday to go see giant ...more
Kathy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Fatema
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the story of the rippling effect of murder. The psychological and emotional impact a heinous crime can have on the family and also, on the law & enforcement personnel.
In this story a starlet is murdered by her celebrity husband. Leaving behind the main character of this story, a 4 year old child, to deal with the repercussions.
The writing makes it an easy read. And the author excels in giving vivid descriptions. But multiple scenes are repetitive to the point of predictability
Sheetal Reddy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a better crime-romance-thriller fiction in my entire life! The plot's never been more perfect. This book can be devoured slowly or gulped all in one shot. A definite page turner, the story had me glued to it at every stage. The ending was the perfect twist, and a satiating one indeed. The steaming romance between the protagonists though <3 Shh... how can I reveal? The circle is complete. Justice is served!

Why don't we have characters like that in real life? *sigh*

Also, Nora
Betsy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
not one of her best for sure .. overly long esp. since I read the large print (674 pgs) .. as others have commented you knew who was the killer from the very beginning (how could you not?!) .. very slow start, great middle, then someone said hey, add lots of sex in the next part and she did .. Olivia was not the most likeable person throughout .. the ending seemed too abrupt for me (what the killer did) all of a sudden .. not a bad read, but not a great one either;
Judy Churchill
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book although the characters from book to book are very similar. The setting was breathtaking and beautifully described. The horror of a brutal murder that haunts a family for years only to discover the real culprit 20 tears later is devastating. I finished the book at 1:00 this morning. Couldn’t put it down.
Taylor (BiblioTay)
This is one of Nora Roberts older books and I love Nora Roberts but this book had some pitfalls.

Pros:
- I adore the PNW setting
- I liked the characters
- the suspense/ending was good

Cons:
- odd “teenage-boy hips” description
- I was 85% sure of the killer on page 66
- there were a few odd moments/actions that were just slapped in there to make the plot work

So overall not bad but definitely not a favorite. Hmmm.
Lindsay Radmilovich
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love Nora Roberts Books. They Not Only Have A Very Good Ending But The Story Is Great.
This Story Keeps You Interest. Loved The Drama And How The Characters Related To Each Other. Loved The Ending. Another Great Book By Nora Roberts.
Phyllis C Surface
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Good book, characters all had depth and story was definitely a page turner. Wasn't certain who the culprit was until last few chapters. If murder mystery is your thing, then I recommend this book
Allison Church
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second read this time. I knew how it ended but still remained captivated. I remembered all the major points throughout along with a few minor ones but that didnt make the read any less enjoyable but rather better.
Darlene Avery
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
River’s End by Nora Roberts is a great suspense with enough twist and turns to keep you on your toes. A definite must read for anyone who likes suspense

4.5 Stars

• Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
“It takes two to speak the truth— one to speak, and another to hear.” 0 likes