Start by marking “The Lady and the Laird (Scottish Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady and the Laird (Scottish Brides, #1)

The Lady and the Laird

(Scottish Brides #1)

An Indecent Proposal!

Lady Lucy MacMorlan may have forsworn men and marriage, but that doesn't mean she won't agree to profit from writing love letters for her brother's friends - letters that become increasingly racy as her fame grows. That is, until she deliberately ruins the betrothal of a notorious laird, Robert, Marquis of Methven.

Past centuries of bloodshed have lef
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Harlequin HQN (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady and the Laird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady and the Laird

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Golden Isle

I loved this captivating romance!

Set against a backdrop of the wild Scottish highlands, THE LADY AND THE LAIRD is a story of secrets, honour , trust, romance, passion and old enmities.

Who can resist a rugged Scottish Highlander hero? Not me! So I couldn’t help but fall for Robert (he may wear trousers rather than a kilt but he’s still a hottie!). He is proud, honourable, honest, determined, protective and loyal and the safety of his clan and his lands means everything to him. But h
Lover of Romance
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley by Harlequin. This is the first time that I have read from this author, and I really enjoyed myself wit this story. It was a bit unique in the way it developed, It starts out a bit slow in the beginning, but when you really start to get into it, then the plot tends to escalate even further. I wouldn't say that this is my favorite romance by any means, I would say it was enjoyable and fun but nothing about it really stood out to me.

Robert, has just
Cheesecake
Lucy the heroine who is not a heroine, and Robert... well I did like Robert.

Lucy has a secret that is painfully obvious to the reader from the first time it's mentioned, but won't be 'revealed' til 3/4 in.
She also likes to write naughty letters for money that often lead to the ruination of weakminded teenage girls. But hey, it's all good because the money goes to charity.

She met Robert before her life became such a fragile structure of regret and stupidity.
But Robert has to marry a particular
Caz
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR, which makes it 4 stars here.

The Lady and the Laird is an enjoyable, well-paced story in which the principal characters are well-drawn and the central romance thoroughly engaging. The historical background which tells of the plight of the crofters and farmers of the Highlands and Islands of the time was also very interesting and was used to good effect as a backdrop for the story, the underlying theme of which was the long-standing conflict between the opposing clans o
Liv
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: highland-romance
I love me a good Highlander romance, and even though this one started out great, it lacked something....

THINGS I LIKED ABOUT THIS BOOK:
1) I really liked the author's writing style. Nicola Cornick is good at laying out beautiful settings that ranges from house parties, society gatherings in castles, a Scottish island, and forest terrain, alike. I felt like the story was constantly flowing from setting to setting, and it was quite enjoyable.

2) The characters were interesting and adventurous. This
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
What an entertaining ride! While I liked Lucy well-enough, I ended up actually falling for Robert--even as I find his combination of attributes highly unlikely (and get your mind out of the gutter, I didn't mean those).

Lucy as the heroine was everything you'd expect from a Scottish red-head--though with the leaven that she's scared spitless of childbirth and thus locked down emotionally (and yes, that has interesting interactions with her character and completely saves her from being in any way
Farrah
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you mix the luxury and propriety of the Regency era with the passion of the Highlands? You get this fantastic first book in a new series. The Lady and the Laird had steamy romance, hidden secrets, and the remnants of clan rivalries. In other words, totally brilliant.

Lucy was a woman haunted by her twin sister's death. After that traumatizing event, her entire life became shaped by her fear of passion. She has refused to marry anyone in order to avoid it. Lucy was a strong he
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 30, 2013
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Public (Forced) Nudity
Favorite Tropes: Forced Marriage, Enemies To Lovers

An almost silly premise — with the heroine having penned some rather scandalous notes for her b
Miranda
GovernessInRed’s Book review for “The Lady and the Laird”

Author: Nicola Cornick

Publisher: Harlequin

Pages: 384

Pub: 2013

My rating: C

3 Stars

I read this book several weeks ago and forgot to write a review.

The plot was okay. Not anything real exciting but not boring either. I think the beginning of the story was good. I really liked how the hero and heroine met. I feel like around the middle of the story is where it started to slack somewhat. Then, near the end, I found it pleasant again. All in all
Jessica {Litnoob}
I had to DNF, the audiobook didn’t draw me in one bit
Melanie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is Ms. Cornick’s first novel in Scottish Brides series and it really is a MUST read!

The novel is very funny, entertaining and just too sweet for words!

If you’re familiar with this author, then you already know that her novel’s are populated with strong, complex and always, always witty characters that stay with you a long time, and that’s what you’ll find here as well.

I adored both main characters, but especially Lucy. Her background in regards to her twin sister just took my breath away.

Th
Mary Gramlich
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lady Lucy built her life around staying in the shadow and creating a life for everyone else. When her secret hobby disrupts Robert Methven’s life the table may be turned on her and the decisions she has made.

Robert needed a wife to avoid losing the land his family worked so hard to hold on to. When Lucy’s assistance to her brother has Robert’s wife choosing another husband he decides he will make Lucy fill the slot. She fights, kicks, scratches, a screams a little but realizes that perhaps a mar
Kathie (katmom)
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoy the "forced to marry" trope, and this one was fun. Robert has a deadline to meet. He has to be married to someone of a certain bloodline to save his clan lands. He's standing at the altar ready to marry this simple minded maiden...but she doesn't show up. She's run away with the brother of the woman that he kissed when she was but a girl. One look in her eyes as she sits in the back of the chapel and he knows she knows something about the situation.

Lucy has a secret. She writes le
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

I have to admit that I struggle with historicals set in Scotland. It seems that more often than not they’re a string of He-Man and Feisty Lass clichés strung together to reach the inevitable ending.

As a consequence, I had my review copy of The Lady and the Laird sitting on my Kindle for a long, long time before I opened it. I regret that, because I enjoyed this book so much.

Nicola Cornick seems to have found the perfect balance for me. At first I thought the concept of R
The Window Seat
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I used to dream of being a Lady in medieval times and having a handsome Scottish Laird come for me, take me away and as I swoon from his gorgeous manliness, we marry and of course live happily ever after! What? It could happen! When I saw the cover of this book, that’s exactly what I remembered, so I had to have it! Their journey to HEA wasn’t quite as idyllic as my daydream, but…

Robert Methven didn’t want to marry the silly empty headed girl, but he didn’t appreciate being left at the alter ei
Michelle Connolly
Robert is an excelent hero. Rough and gentle where he needs to be. Lucy I liked a little bit less but still liked very much.
The story has an excelent beginning. I loved the way Robert and Lucy met and how later on their paths crossed again.
I thought the premise, with the erotic letters, was very interesting and fun... but I felt like it wasn't properly taken advantage of. At one point they become completely irrelevant to the story.
However, the story had enough to capture my interest again and
Christy English
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Nicola Cornick! She hit it out of the park for me again. How does she keep doing that? Talent I guess :)
 Mummy Cat Claire
Somehow I read the second book first. It can be done but I would recommend this book before the second one. Things make better sense.

Lady Lucy MacMorlan lives in Forres Castle, Scotland, in June 1803. Lucy's twin, Alice is the opposite in many ways. Alice is braver than Lucy and she knows how to get her sister to do things are aren't the best choices. On a dare, Alice convinces Lucy to climb down to the balcony. When she does, she meets the Robert Methven. He doesn't give away her secret but ea
dumbells
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Honestly mostly dozed through this one… It was not too gripping.

Parts of it were but then it would slide down slowsville and introspection and my attention would turn towards my own thoughts and I would just miss chunks of the book. I remember the parts when they were fighting off assailants and the h would show some backbone and the H would comment on her hidden “Highlander fire” and it being hidden under all that "properness". I would find myself thinking “Yes, this is it! She is gonna start
Celia Lewis
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A challenge to trust...

Oh my, this was a very romantic Highland story... I couldn't put it down until it was clear that the nasty villain would lose everything! And as Lucy overcame her fears of intimacy and childbirth, and Robert rose to the challenge of trusting his feelings to her - a marvellous happy ending ensued. I enjoyed reading how both needed to be vulnerable and trusting. Highly recommended.
Te Owai
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the read. Lucy however pisses me off her character actually made me mad at some points like "why you being such a b##&h" other then that I want to read more. And I'm currently obsessed with the whole Highlander makes your mind wonder....
JB Anonym
UPDATE: Subtracting 2 stars

Wrote my review before finishing the book. Missed a delightful scene near the end where the hero flips his shit over (view spoiler)

It's not just super sexist and skirchity and ree
Laura_sommeils
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Mónîcā
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book, kinda felt like a slow burn... sweet baby Lucy running away from her debilitating sadness really hits me. You could tell the hero was in love with her after like a hundred pages which isn’t normally the case. He obviously fell for her much sooner than she. I love itttttt
Kathleen Crowell
not bad. not the best. entertaining enough for a cold winter day.
Miriamgreen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
better than most, recommend
Spandana
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
It's quite a steamy romance. You can easily breeze through the first half of the book. The second half is pretty boring.
Marsha
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
surprised that one book can be so good, and one so cliche
Linda R. Mann
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Read

Wonderful love story with a handsome laird and a gorgeous lady. Just a sweet summer story and a terrific ending.
Sharon
Sweet, well done, eminently readable.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • Once Upon a Highland Christmas (Scandalous Scots, #0.5)
  • Border Bride (Border Trilogy I, #1)
  • Miss Molly Robbins Designs a Seduction (Sydney Dovedale, #4)
  • The Abolitionist's Secret (Cotillion Ball #2)
  • A Midsummer Bride (Marriage Mart, #2)
  • Once Upon a Tartan (MacGregors, #2)
  • Never Desire a Duke (One Scandalous Season, #1)
  • A Lady's Secret Weapon (Nexus, #3)
  • A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love, #1)
  • The Arrangement
  • One Moonlit Night (Moonlight Square, #0.5)
  • A Rose In The Storm (Scottish Medieval, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Scot (Broadswords and Ballrooms, #1)
  • Hunger (The Seductors Series, #2)
  • Feather Light
  • A Kiss of Lies (The Disgraced Lords, #1)
  • Once a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs, #2)
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol

Scottish Brides (3 books)
  • One Night with the Laird (Scottish Brides, #2)
  • Claimed by the Laird (Scottish Brides, #3)