GXO Reading Challenges discussion

21 views
2020 Monthly Motif Challenge > OCTOBER 2020 - Thrills and Chills

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 166 comments Mod
The motif for October is Thrills and Chills.

“Ghost stories, haunted houses, true crime, murder mysteries, a thriller keeping you on the edge of your seat- it’s up to you!”

Comment with your book choices below and mark CHALLENGE COMPLETE when you've finished reading it.

Here are our suggestions:
The Broken Girls by Simone St. James No Exit by Taylor Adams Home Before Dark by Riley Sager


message 2: by Kimberly (last edited Oct 03, 2020 07:48PM) (new)

Kimberly (Chapter_Adventure) (chapter_adventure) | 247 comments Mod
I read The Broken Girls


message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Turlington | 15 comments This month I read “Hell House” by Richard Matheson. Here is my review posted on Goodreads & be warned, there are some minor spoilers! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 4: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 36 comments Challenge complete: murder mystery

Tents, Trails & Turmoil Tonya Kappes 10/4/20


message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (Chapter_Adventure) (chapter_adventure) | 247 comments Mod
Tari wrote: "Challenge complete: murder mystery

Tents, Trails & Turmoil Tonya Kappes 10/4/20"


This looks like a cute cozy mystery! How did you like it?


message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (Chapter_Adventure) (chapter_adventure) | 247 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "This month I read “Hell House” by Richard Matheson. Here is my review posted on Goodreads & be warned, there are some minor spoilers! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I'm super intrigued by this story but it looks scary!


message 7: by Cecil (last edited Oct 13, 2020 12:14PM) (new)

Cecil Huston | 138 comments Challenge Complete! I've read two books on this so far:
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King , by Stephen King, for which I had to go back and read "The Shining" first (last month). Saw the movie, but till now had never read the book. Realized after the first page of Dr. Sleep that I needed to actually read the first book, different than the movie.
Second book was Full Throttle by Joe Hill by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son. This book of short stories was a fun ride!
My review is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 8: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 166 comments Mod
Cecil wrote: "Challenge Complete! I've read two books on this so far:
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, by Stephen King, for which I had to go back and read "The Shining" first (last month). Saw the movie, but ..."


I loved all the books you mentioned! I still haven't seen the movie for Doctor Sleep!


message 9: by Cecil (new)

Cecil Huston | 138 comments TJ wrote: "Cecil wrote: "Challenge Complete! I've read two books on this so far:
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, by Stephen King, for which I had to go back and read "The Shining" first (last month). Saw t..."


Me neither! I wonder if it follows the movie plot line or the book from the Shining?


message 10: by Joosje (new)

Joosje | 49 comments Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell I'm not a fan of mysteries so I stretched a bit and read Pumpkinheads cause it takes place at Halloween. It was my first graphic novel, and I liked it better than I thought. Challenge complete.


message 11: by Simone (new)

Simone (simonec75) | 67 comments This one was an absolute slow burner, but that made it super creepy! I will never look at mushrooms the same way. I'm glad this was a buddy read for me and I had someone to discuss the book with.

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia


message 12: by Cecil (new)

Cecil Huston | 138 comments Simone wrote: "This one was an absolute slow burner, but that made it super creepy! I will never look at mushrooms the same way. I'm glad this was a buddy read for me and I had someone to discuss the book with.

..."


Looking forward to reading this, but may be awhile, I'm way down on the hold list at the library. Sounds good!


message 13: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 166 comments Mod
Simone wrote: "This one was an absolute slow burner, but that made it super creepy! I will never look at mushrooms the same way. I'm glad this was a buddy read for me and I had someone to discuss the book with.

..."


I read it last month and completely agree - slow burner ... and it was interesting to see the direction it went (with the mushrooms)


message 14: by Rose (new)

Rose | 25 comments The Last Flight by Julie Clark


message 15: by Bookish Jyo (new)

Bookish Jyo (jyothi_nair) | 16 comments Yakshini - Neil D'Silva


back to top