Start by marking “Mexican Gothic” as Want to Read:
Mexican Gothic

Mexican Gothic

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  63,495 ratings  ·  12,236 reviews
A darkly enchanting reimagining of Gothic fantasy, in which a spirited young woman discovers the haunting secrets of a beautiful old mansion in 1950s Mexico.
Published June 30th 2020 by Del Rey
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Mexican Gothic, please sign up.
Richard Gore in the sense of bloody violence: none. But in the sense of bodily fluids ending up where you wouldn't want them? Yeah, that is part of the psycho…moreGore in the sense of bloody violence: none. But in the sense of bodily fluids ending up where you wouldn't want them? Yeah, that is part of the psychological horror.(less)

·  63,495 ratings  ·  12,236 reviews

Start your review of Mexican Gothic
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hell yeah! This deliciously terrifying, gothic adventure will be adapted to Hulu limited series! I cannot wait to binge watch! What an amazing news!🥳🥂💃🏻🕺🏼

OMG! I had no brain right now! The author stole it! I wish she would have put some bravery into my heart because I think I’m not gonna sleep at least for a week and I already brought back Christmas ornaments and enlightened house (I don’t have any idea how much electric bill will coast next month but I’m sure my husband will have the worst scre
Cindy
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
An atmospheric Gothic horror novel that goes the extra mile with featuring women of color as the protagonists and incorporating race, colonialism, and eugenics as part of the horror. I enjoyed Noemi's flighty and outspoken nature as well; she’s easy to root for as she stands her own against the antagonists.
Silvia Moreno-Garcia
FAQ

Is there a playlist?
Yes, go to Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/233...

Are there other goodies?
Paper doll PDF: http://www.randomhousebooks.com/wp-co...

Book club kit PDF: http://www.randomhousebooks.com/wp-co...

Is the town in the book real?
It's inspired by a real town which is called Real del Monte/Mineral del Monte and which was a British mining town and has a very particular kind of architecture. It's nicknamed Little Cornwall. Yes, there is an English cemetery there. Photo: https:
chai ♡
A gothic suspense novel set in 1950s Mexico with a cover like that? [adding book to cart] Who am I to deny myself every single desire that crosses my brain?
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
2.5 stars...Yeah I know...this was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. As soon as I found out this would be a BOTM, I grabbed it, I dropped everything I was doing to read it....and well that didn't work out so well.

The premise was amazing. The cover was even more amazing. SO I dug into this book and I waited for it to pick up. I waited, and turned another page and waited....and waited...... Finally I turned to my fellow reviewers at page 200 to see..umm does this pick up? They said ye
Kat
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
this really was some gothic excellence, omg

pls allow for a small list of all the things that made this story SO GOOD imo

- the setting!!!! high place’s aesthetic of rotting decadence was exactly the kind of atmosphere i LOVE
- the main character, noemi!! she was headstrong and capable the whole way through. truly a delight to read about
- i didn’t think i would, but i really enjoyed the historical setting! the 1950’s is not a time that i’ve read a lot about, and it was quite interesting. & the way
Chelsea Humphrey
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Random House Reader's Circle (RHRC)
"I pray I'll see you again. You must come for me, Noemí. You have to save me."

WHEW. You think you know where this book is going, and then it goes there. Mexican Gothic begins in such an unassuming way, where you think you're walking into a traditional haunted house story, and then everything shifts to pull you under like a riptide that doesn't loosen until you turn the final page. Before I dive into my review, I think it's fair to note that the majority of this book is atmospheric, character dri
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Due to popular request... I'm attempting this one!
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hmm. How best to describe “Mexican Gothic?”

I guess I would say it’s –

A little bit H. P. Lovecraft.
A little bit Alfred Hitchcock.
A lotta bit creepy old house.

Yes. Mexican Gothic is part mystery. It’s part Gothic suspense. It’s part horror. Maybe even part New Weird. (Maybe.) And all its various parts are expertly and seamlessly blended by the skillful words of Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

Set in 1950s Mexico, the novel follows the young socialite, Noemi Taboada, as she travels to High Place, an old mans
daph pink  君は
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who are ready to get scared the shit out of them
5*I AM SHIT SCARED* Stars!✨♥️

there was something so charming and beautiful about the cover that drew me towards it! (I mean just look at this stunning cover and think how beautiful it will look in your bookshelf)

I honestly don’t like Gothic books, it’s like my second Gothic book (after a failed attempt to read Wuthering heights for like 1000 times.) and ohhh boyyy I freaking loved it. Like a 5 star rating is less to describe how much I loved this book!

Once in a while a book is published that yo
Julie
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia is a 2020 Del Rey publication.

An exciting new approach to Gothic Horror fiction!

I rarely ever comment on a book cover- but this one is stunning! It’s an eye-catcher for sure- but you know what they say about judging a book by its cover. So, the question is- Does the story measure up to that magnificent cover?

Mexico City- 1950s

Noemí Taboada, a young socialite, who wishes to achieve more in her life than marrying a man her father approves of, is given th
jessica
well, wasnt this just a spooky little story?! i knew i should have saved this for next month.

fans of gothic stories will swoon over this. its so atmospheric. the old mansion, the creepy family who lives there, the lush mexican countryside. i was honestly really, really enjoying myself up until the near end.

the turn of events were a little too… unrealistic for me, i suppose. i wanted to gasp in shock but i ended up just rolling my eyes. i know the way things play out wont bother some readers, and
Melanie

full review to come but i loved this a lot! <3

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

This was our October 2020 pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Merphy Napier
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, four-stars, adult
This an adult gothic horror that's heavily inspired by "The Yellow Wallpaper" (a story I LOVE). Overall, I really enjoyed it but I do feel like it had potential to be a 5 star book that I rave about for a very long time and I'm disappointed because I feel like it had some missed potential, but I still really enjoyed it and still recommend!

There are some potential trigger warnings I wanna mention though for anyone who's gonna read on my rec (view spoiler)
Arini
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

For as intriguing as it is, immersive it is not. This tale is bizzare and fascinating in its monotony, and in the second half there lies the charm—or the problem, depending on how you look at it.

The book operates on the classic trope of isolated old creaky mansion complete with its misty private cemetery and ‘eccentrically macabre’ family. On the surface, the Doyles look like a harmless and orderly household, but the peculiarity rests within (literally) the walls of the house—its secret
Joel Rochester
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020, four-stars
i now hate mushrooms more than i already do
oh, also this book was great
noemí rights
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p.84

I am actually a huge fan of retro Gothic novels from the 60s and 70s, so when I found out about MEXICAN GOTHIC, a Latinx take on the popular Gothic novel subgenre, I was pee-in-my-pants excited. Just look at that cover! OMG. Stunning.

Sadly, the cover is the best thing about this book. It was SO BORING. Noemi is a socialite whose father doesn't approve of her superficial ways. She goes to see her cousin in the countryside after
megs_bookrack
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
**3.5-stars**

When Neomi Taboada's father asks her to go check on her cousin, Catalina, she really doesn't want to. Neomi's got so much going on in the city. Why does she have to go?

Catalina, recently married, lives in a remote manor home, known as High Place, with her husband, Virgil and his family, far from the bustle of Mexico City.

As romantic an idea as that may sound, according to Catalina's recent letters, the home is a dreary, desolate affair, where she is currently either very unwell, pur
Taylor Reid
Aug 27, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
This book is wild in the absolute best way. It’s haunting and creepy but so readable. And what I love most about it is that, as the story unfolds—with more and more bizarre details—you find yourself wondering over and over “what on earth is going on?!?”. And I could not have guessed what was actually going on in a million years.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 on Kindle US today 10/18/20

This book reminded me a bit of that movie, Skeleton Key!

I love the cover and I loved the end of the book. I’ll buy it in a kindle sale

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Danielle
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Okay... I had no business picking up this book. Don’t let the beautiful cover and enchanting title fool you. This is a true HORROR novel. 😬😱🤮 This is not a genre I read, because I’m a big baby with gore and... I don’t know... eating babies 😳 o.m.f.g. 🤦🏼‍♀️ sprinkle in sexual assault and description of black oozing boils on the skin 🤢 I honestly can’t believe I made it through this whole thing. Happy Haunting Month! 🎃
Vibur
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The stuff of potent mushroom trips and psychedelic nightmares.
Yeah. It was fun.
(I'm kidding. Don't do drugs, kids.)

Holy carping crap, this is so creatively creepy, and I love it.
The writing. Oh, the writing. There was something about it, the sinister, sinuous lilt of it, that imbued a tangibly morbid intrigue. The weight of it slithering insidiously around me, twisting and twining—as if it was tightening into a noose around my throat, wringing the air from my lungs and swallowing me whole.
I'l
mina reads™️
pre release thoughts: A gothic suspense novel set in 1950s Mexico? My body is ready 🤩🤩

Review: 7/18/2020

what the fuckkkkkk
I don't know how to feel about this book but it certainly took me on a wild ass ride.

This story follows Noemi, a flighty, party-going 22 year old who is enlisted by her father to check in on an older cousin, Catalina, who has been whisked away by her mysterious husband and has sent very troubing letters that leave her family members questioning her safety and sanity.
Nataliya
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Well, there’s one kind of food I’ll stay away from for a while after reading this book.
“So I’ll be wed in the Church of the Holy Incestuous Mushroom?” she intoned. “I doubt that’s valid.”
Mexican Gothic is set in a strange place - an old decrepit English manor house built by the English owners of the now-defunct silver mine, the English who despite living in Mexico for 70 years are dead-set on keeping everything in their small remote dreary domain as *English* as possible, down to the soil th
emma
As an allegory for colonization and its impact on the colonized, this is stunning and gorgeous and I enjoy analyzing it in spare moments, like when I'm tired of working or am eating a cookie that is not so delicious as to require my full attention or am in the shower.

As a story in and of itself, I did not enjoy it. But who cares.

The writing style of this was pretty stilted, in my opinion (and I kept catching myself doing that nightmarish thing where I feel obligated to rewrite awkward sentences)
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
This was the creepiest and weirdest book I've read so far this year. WHAT A WILD RIDE.

Imagine it's the 1950's, you're driving through a small town, up a winding hill, through some rusty gates and through the fog you see a huge Gothic mansion... with a VERY troubled past.

Silvia has an outstanding way with setting a mood. Every bit of her writing and setting comes together into this dreamy, Gothic sense that pervades absolutely every bit of the book. It’s enchanting really and helps catch the read
Elle
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elle by: Jordy’s Book Club
Now a Goodreads Choice finalist in Horror!

Full of decaying glamour, dark secrets and a good amount of gnarly blood and guts, Mexican Gothic more than met the already high expectations I had for it.

I’ve been a big fan of Silvia Moreno-Garcia since picking up Gods of Jade and Shadow last year. One of the best things about her as an author is that she’s sort of genre-fluid (a term I just made up). Gods was a Mexican/indigenous fantasy taking place in the 1920s, Untamed Shore was a noir set in M
Miranda Reads
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, audiobook
description
To be frank - this one was GORGEOUS.

Like my life will never be the same level of beauty.

The atmosphere, the setting, the characters. It was - to be frank - amazing. I loved it.

Thank goodness I saw it on the GRs Choice awards!
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Maybe a 2.5 STARS?

Mexican Gothic held so much promise but couldn’t quite deliver its gory, on-the-edge-of-my-seat gothic thriller I thought I would receive. While the premise was fascinating and sucked me right in, I had to drag my way through the initial 1/3 of the novel before I finally found myself in the groove of the story.

One of Mexican Gothic’s biggest weakness was the fact that we always stayed pretty surface level in terms of characterization and plot. Noemí shows up at High Place in ho
Riley
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, horror
the first half was a little boring but it was worth it cause wow this was so wild

• Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • Grief is the Thing with Feathers
  • Book Love
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
  • Our House
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Wolf and the Watchman
  • Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire: The Guide to Being Glorious You
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • Ongoingness: The End of a Diary
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • One Day at Disney: Meet the People Who Make the Magic Across the Globe
  • Map of Days
Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of several novels, including Mexican Gothic, Gods of Jade and Shadow and Untamed Shore. She has also edited a number of anthologies, including the World Fantasy Award-winning She Walks in Shadows (a.k.a. Cthulhu's Daughters). Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination.

Articles featuring this book

“Books, moonlight, melodrama.” 32 likes
“A woman who is not liked is a bitch, and a bitch can hardly do anything: all avenues are closed to her.” 28 likes