The Sword and Laser discussion

Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Finder
Finder > FIN: What to Read Next?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments I've finished Finder and will finish book 2 this week. I've enjoyed them so much that I'm looking for suggestions of more sci-fi to read. I'm looking for something similar to Finder. I've read, and enjoyed, the Bob-o-verse and the Murderbot Dairies, both series that seem similar to the Finder Chronicles. What else is out there? Thanks!

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 27, 2020 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tamahome | 6362 comments I just finished The Wrong Stars too, easy space opera. The sample for To Sleep in a Sea of Stars was good, but it's a big book.

Trike | 8768 comments It’s not Space Ooera, but Year Zero is fun and has an amusing premise: a galactic civilization has been listening to Earth music for decades and the galactic court has ruled that the aliens owe humans back-payment royalties. So we now own the galaxy. Hijinks ensue.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by John Hodgman, who is perfect.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments I haven't read Finder yet, but from what I've heard and the other suggestions floating around here, I'm thinking you might enjoy The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. The series is rather short, but it is also very good.

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Great looking list and some of these books I already own! :) Thanks everybody.

And please keep them coming...!

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments I wish there was a "like" button lol

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4104 comments Trike wrote: "It’s not Space Ooera, but Year Zero is fun and..."

Year Zero was a lot of fun. I think I read it on your recommendation.

I like how you call it "Space Ooera" given the amount of boy-band do-whopping in that book. But perhaps...I like it, that way.

Did Finder remind anyone else of the Stainless Steel Rat books? That was my first thought, but it's been decades since I read them.

Joanna (spriggana) | 104 comments I’ll repeat my pick for a companin book from the episode thread: Starship Repo by Patrick S. Tomlinson. Small time thief/grifter officially named Firstname Lastname (the galactic administration had some trouble parsing human forms [1]) becomes a part of multispecies repo crew.

[1] See the Ireland’s worst driver

message 10: by Jerimy (new)

Jerimy Stoll | 51 comments Speaking of space operas, I believe I would like my next science fiction read to be Star Trek 6. Reading the books feels a lot like watching the old 1950's series. I love Star Trek books by James Blish.

message 11: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 27, 2020 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tamahome | 6362 comments Only read the sample. Anyone like Embers of War by Gareth Powell? It's supposed to have a good sentient ship.

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Trike wrote: "It’s not Space Ooera, but Year Zero is fun and..."

I like how you call it "Space Ooera" given the amount of boy-band do-whopping in that book. But perhaps...I like it, that way."

I see what you did there.

Extra bonus for spinning my typo straw into comedy gold.

Trike | 8768 comments Jerimy wrote: "Speaking of space operas, I believe I would like my next science fiction read to be Star Trek 6. Reading the books feels a lot like watching the old 1950's series. I love Star Trek books by James B..."

The recent comics really capture the voice of TOS.

Star Trek: Year Five - Odyssey's End

Trike | 8768 comments Tamahome wrote: "Only read the sample. Anyone like Embers of War by Gareth Powell? It's supposed to have a good sentient ship."

I haven’t read it yet but I liked the sample enough to buy it. So I guess that’s a half point in its favor?

message 15: by Charles (last edited Oct 02, 2020 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments I just finished Driving the Deep is was so good! Better than the first one, the story was more concise, with a strong Murderbot vibe.
And it looks like the next book I'll be reading is Starship Repo. It looks fun! Thanks for the suggestion!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1651 comments Charles wrote: "I've finished Finder and will finish book 2 this week. I've enjoyed them so much that I'm looking for suggestions of more sci-fi to read. I'm looking for something similar to Finder. I've read, and..."

I enjoyed Aftershocks.

message 17: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 04, 2020 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tamahome | 6362 comments I'm reading Brandon Sandersons's sf novella Snapshot. Cops go into a virtual reproduction of a city day to solve crimes. It's going to be adapted to a movie.

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Silvana wrote: "Charles wrote: "I've finished Finder and will finish book 2 this week. I've enjoyed them so much that I'm looking for suggestions of more sci-fi to read. I'm looking for something similar to Finder..."
Is there an English translation?

message 19: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 847 comments Charles wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Charles wrote: "I've finished Finder and will finish book 2 this week. I've enjoyed them so much that I'm looking for suggestions of more sci-fi to read. I'm looking for something s..."

It looks like the book is in English. No idea why the Goodreads page isn't.

message 20: by Charles (last edited Oct 04, 2020 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Serendi wrote: "It looks like the book is in English. No idea why the Goodreads page isn't."

Yup looks like the Goodread page is messed up.

message 21: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2497 comments Nothing wrong with the Goodreads page. The Polish description is set as the default description. Some of the other editions have English descriptions.

Tamahome | 6362 comments Chapter 2 in the sample is exciting. I reported the wrong language to the librarian group.

message 23: by Chad (new) - added it

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments Would strongly recommend Kristine Kathryn Rusch’s Diving Series for a similar vibe. Starts with Diving the Wreck

Tamahome | 6362 comments You can now see the Aftershocks description in English: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 05, 2020 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tamahome | 6362 comments Finder also reminds me of Jack McDevitt's antique dealer Alex Benedict in books like Seeker which won the Nebula.

Tamahome | 6362 comments Hah, the ship in Embers of War has POV chapters.

Matthew (masupert) | 215 comments If you are looking for something right in this same wheelhouse check out Bypass Gemini. It runs the same gamut. Smart ass pilot who runs by the seat of his pants and gets himself caught up in a plot with big corps and crazy scientists.

message 28: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2872 comments Matthew wrote: "If you are looking for something right in this same wheelhouse check out Bypass Gemini.
..."

It's also available for the high price of... free. At least on Amazon right now.

I've only read the sample but based on his novellas, I'd take shot on Repo Virtual too.

message 29: by Charles (last edited Oct 07, 2020 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Rick wrote: "Matthew wrote: "If you are looking for something right in this same wheelhouse check out Bypass Gemini.
..."

It's also available for the high price of... free. At least on Amazon ..."

I noticed that too! It was an easy buy. :)

message 30: by Mark (last edited Oct 07, 2020 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2497 comments Trike wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Only read the sample. Anyone like Embers of War by Gareth Powell? It's supposed to have a good sentient ship."

I haven’t read it yet but I liked the sample enough ..."

Just finished Embers of War and it was a blast! Two more books in the series, Fleet of Knives and Light of Impossible Stars.

Fresno Bob | 586 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Trike wrote: "It’s not Space Ooera, but Year Zero is fun and..."

I like how you call it "Space Ooera" given t..."

SSR was absolutely the first thing that came to mind for me

message 32: by Kev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 648 comments Charles wrote: "I've finished Finder and will finish book 2 this week. I've enjoyed them so much that I'm looking for suggestions of more sci-fi to read. I'm looking for something similar to Finder. I've read, and..."

Try the Big Sigma series that starts with Bypass Gemini. It's mostly light, fast, and fun.

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Kev wrote: "Try the Big Sigma series that starts with Bypass Gemini. It's mostly light, fast, and fun."

It's on the list! :) I may start it next now that I'm up to date with the Dresden Files.