Start by marking “Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)

Fleet of Knives

(Embers of War #2)

From award-winning author Gareth L. Powell comes the second book in the critically acclaimed Embers of War space opera series.

The former warship Trouble Dog and her crew of misfits is called upon by the House of Reclamation to investigate a distress call from the human starship the Lucy's Ghost. Her crew abandon their crippled ship and seek refuge aboard an abandoned, slow
MP3 CD, 10 pages
Published February 19th 2019 by Blackstone Audio

To ask other readers questions about Fleet of Knives, please sign up.

Start your review of Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
Justine
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand, I do like the story and the general premise. I like the idea of the sentient Trouble Dog and her whole internal conflict and rebuilding of her sense of place, but I also felt there wasn't quite enough of that here. On the upside, in Fleet of Knives the character that I felt was a bit too much of a sideline in Embers of War, Ona Sudak, reveals her importance to the overall story arc.

On the other hand, I continue to struggle a bit with the wri
Mili
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
I swear this series is just what I needed this month haha! I am still in love with the characters and Trouble Dog, the story follows after what happened in book one. Since they work as a team to help out people in need they go out again to follow up on a distress call. And do they bump into some nasty things! We get a bit more of a tease of something evil lurking in the void and I can't wait till shit escalates XD. There is a mention of a space dragon - perks up -. And the new found friends from ...more
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those times when I think the second book edges out the first book in the series. This was just so fun. I laughed and guffawed in the break room at work while reading this. It also kept me on the edge of my seat with crazy rescues, scary aliens, and smart ships. I wasn't planning on reading a book series, but off to start the third!
Kate
I loved Embers of War but Fleet of Knives is even better! It's such an exciting, very well-written read, packed full of spaceships, aliens, battles, mysteries and menace. Arguably the stars here are the spaceships themselves and each has its own distinct character. Loved it. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Denise
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5. Looking forward to the finale
Paul O'Neill
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first in this series, Embers of War, just won the BSFA award for best novel. This sequel is every bit as good, and has me screaming for the next one. If you like sci-fi then you should be giving this a try.
Lata
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trouble Dog (disreputable hound, and all the other wonderful names given to her by Nod) is back and just as funny, fierce and thoughtful as before. The massive fleet she and Sal Kostanz found on their last mission has found a purpose, and begins acting on it, to everyone’s detriment. (view spoiler)
The story moved quickly, and switched fr
Otherwyrld
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A worthy successor to the first novel in the series.
S. Naomi Scott
Yet another fantastic outing for the Trouble Dog and her crew.

Fleet of Knives is the sequel to last year's Embers of War and follows on from roughly where the last one left off. A year has passed and following a debriefing and some repairs Trouble Dog and her crew are off on a shakedown cruise, ostensibly to make sure everything's running smoothly but also to give the crew a chance to patch up any psychological wounds they might still be suffering, when they're called on to rescue some merchants
Lindsay
The Trouble Dog and Sal Konstanz are back after the events of Embers of War, and specifically after a refit and rearm of Trouble Dog, they're off on another rescue. This time it's the stranded crew of opportunistic raiders who'd tried to loot an ancient and immense generation ship that an alien race had been preserving as a monument. All this while the Fleet of Knives gain a new commander, the previously introduced Ona Sudak, and a mission throughout human space that leads them on a collision co ...more
MadProfessah
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Fleet of Knives is the sequel to Embers of War, the second book in the Embers of War trilogy. This series is clearly space opera; it features a sentient space ship called Trouble Dog that has a cast of curious characters. The captain is Sal Konstanz, with crewmembers Alva Clay (a seasoned war veteran), Preston Menderes (the ship doctor who dropped out of medical school) and Nod (an alien with faces in the palms of its six hands).

The other important character in this book is Ona Sudak, which is t
Michael
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the "Embers of War" trilogy by Gareth L. Powell. This book is a great follow-up to the first book "Embers of War". In this one the Trouble Dog and her crew are sent on a rescue mission to the edge of human space. While they are in route the ships of the Marble Armada break the war criminal Oda Sudak out of prison and save her from a death sentence. In return they want her to lead them on a mission to force peace upon mankind - at any price! They plan to destroy all of ...more
Elspeth Cooper
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up late last night to finish reading this. The Embers of War series continues to dress thorny questions of redemption, penance and whether ends really justify means in the much-worn spacesuit of a ripping SF adventure, and I cannot get enough of it.

I adore Trouble Dog and her crew. I love the setting, so full of colour and life. The depth of Powell's affection for and appreciation of SF shines through in the text, but the story is also its own unique thing, and I cannot wait to see how it
Kat  Hooper
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com. ...more
Mark Harrison
Decent sequel as The Ship and its crew go an another rescue mission and are challenged by the Fleet they freed earlier and the Commander whose life they saved. Lots of action and monsters - grab snacks and escape into it
Runalong
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh this was a fantastic second entry into the series of sentient AI starships and ancient secrets coming to light plus a powerful look at what Redemption really means

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
imyril
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid second instalment for the Trouble Dog and her crew, as unexpected saviours turn into implacable foes. Expect musings on responsibility, sacrifice and adulthood, along with a delightful set of developments centred around themes of found family (or is that pack?)

It was sailing for a comfortable 3 stars until some classy narrative payoff zapped me between the eyes and left them watering. Tears always get bonus points.

Full review to follow
Bonnie McDaniel
This is the sequel to last year's Embers of War, and the author has definitely upped his game. It's a tightly written, well paced exploration of the consequences of what happened in the first novel, and it's not an exaggeration to say that everything goes kablooie. Powell is an author who takes every character and goes for the deepest twist of the knife.

When the book opens, the sentient warship Trouble Dog and her crew are recovering in the aftermath of waking up the Marble Armada, a 5000-year-
Jamie Bowen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Book Two in the Embers of War series. The Trouble Dog and it’s crew is recovering after the events of the first book, and has lost some of its weapons, but when they receive a distress call from Lucy’s Ghost it places them back in danger. For the Marble Fleet which looked to the Trouble Dog for leadership, now sees the ship as a threat that needs to be neutralised, and Ona Sudak is now part of the fleet. The odds are stacked against the Trouble Dog from so many quarters, can they survive?

I love
Amanda
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I didn’t enjoy how the characters developed. I was very confused why we didn’t see Ashton’s perspective at all. Nod was my favorite part, but could not make up for the unnecessary deaths and uninteresting mindset of Ona.
Jeremy Szal
More scattered and less eventful than the first stellar entry, this is still a solid space opera with some very funky ideas and characters to care about.
Richard
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

Developed themes from the first book quite well, obvious buy-the-next-one-to-find-out-what-happens ending, but I have enjoyed reading this on a holiday.
Kylie Burkot
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Heather
2.5 stars - I'm still trying to figure out what I enjoy as an audio book and I'm not sure this one worked for me.
Matthew
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
My poor brain struggled with all the leaping around. Apart from that and some sentimental nonsense towards the end, quite brilliant.
Lori
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Finally a book that my scattered brain held interest! Should make that an automatic 4 ha. I really like this series. Yea it’s got the cutesy ship names but it’s not a try hard of Ian Banks, the ships are actually part biological. The story is good. The baddy is a bit extreme and I think out of character but ok I’m willing to accept and read more.
Ernest
The middle book in the trilogy started with Embers of War finds the warship turned rescue vessel 'Trouble Dog' and her crew flying to the aid of a team of mercenary merchants who ran into trouble on the way to a bit of snatch and grab from an abandoned (but not forgotten) generation ship. While in the high dimensional space that makes FTL in this universe work, something took a bite out of their ship, the 'Lucy's Ghost' and things only got worse after they popped out back into normal space.

See
Jonathan
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I like this series a lot. The characters are interesting and most have admirable qualities.

The story is straightforward, easy to follow, and the writing is spare, with smooth pacing. Gareth’s writing has a generous and compassionate quality.
Ry Herman
I especially liked chapter forty-nine.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Gareth L. Powell's Fleet of Knives is without any kind of doubt one of the best and most enjoyable space opera novels I've ever read. I haven't read anything as entertaining and rewarding as this novel since reading Iain M. Banks and Neal Asher. Considering the huge amount of space opera novels being published each year, it's amazing to find a novel as fresh, rich and enthralling as Fleet of Knives. It has all the elements one could ever hope to find in epic
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Human (Rise of the Jain #3)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • About Writing
  • Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Cage of Souls
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • The Forbidden Stars
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • Firewalkers
Gareth L. Powell is an award-winning author from the UK. His alternate history thriller, Ack-Ack Macaque won the 2013 BSFA Award for Best Novel, spawned two sequels, and was shortlisted in the Best Translated Novel category for the 2016 Seiun Awards in Japan. His short fiction has appeared in a host of magazines and anthologies, including Interzone, Solaris Rising 3, and The Year’s Best Science Fi ...more

Embers of War (3 books)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
  • Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War, #3)