Rolla Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
October 2020 > Oct. 2020 BotM Killers of the Flower Moon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann has gotten a *lot* of good press. I will definitely try to read it... but I suspect it will be too intense for me as I'm sensitive.

Ralph McEwen | 22 comments I have downloaded the audiobook. It has 3 narrators Will Patton, Ann Marie Lee, Danny Campbell, which I think is a sign of a good listening experience coming my way.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) I hope you find it a satisfying and enriching listen.

When you've gotten far enough in, please let us know how intense it is, how likely it is to cause nightmares. I know I always find dark episodes from history to make me lose sleep.

message 4: by hbbyy (new)

hbbyy | 2 comments Hi am Bello Muhammed

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Welcome!

Are you planning to read Killers of the Flower Moon?

Ralph McEwen | 22 comments I finished listening. A very in-depth story of another tale of how the American Indian was cheated, murdered and lied to. The only different take on this tale is that the Osage Indians had gotten rich with oil first on land they were forced to live on. This history just keeps peeling the onion of greed, corruption, blind prejudice and incompetence that our history is chock full of. I almost gave this a 3 star rating just because I didn't "Really Like It" but it deserves 4 stars for all the detailed information and the narration.

Ralph McEwen | 22 comments Cheryl wrote: "I hope you find it a satisfying and enriching listen.

When you've gotten far enough in, please let us know how intense it is, how likely it is to cause nightmares. I know I always find dark episod..."

Oh there is quite enough in here for nightmares but not in gory detail. Also there is some good guys too.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Thank you!
I will try hard to read it. Sounds like we could have some discussion once more than one of us has done so. :)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Harlan | 1 comments I found much interesting about the investigation of the Osage Indian murders, Tom White was truly a dedicated law man, truly good vs true evil in pursuing the truth of the investigation. The beginning of the FBI and formation of the techniques for interrogations, as well as the introduction of new scientific methods was very interesting. Sad to see corruption allowing for A system of guardianship which breed greed and abuse. Mary

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) I've had an awful month, two family crises, so I won't get to this. But I'm very grateful for your comments, and I'm glad you had a good experience reading the book.