Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: The Capulet Family

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 19, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6922 comments Mod
Hello, Capulet Family!

This week we are taking on Wheel of Fortune! We may be missing Pat and Vanna (for those of us in the US), but this game is guaranteed to be just as much fun.

For more information about our group challenge (including FAQs), check out this thread.

Members:
Chrissy
Roxana
Alicia
Veronica
Traci
Samantha
Laurel

How It Works:
As a team, you will track your pages read, audio hours listened to, and books completed. Then, you will turn these into letter guesses to complete the fill-in-the-blank puzzle, Wheel of Fortune style.

You can earn (1) guess by:
- Reading 1000 pages as a team
- Listening to 5 hours of audio as a team
- Finishing one book

The Rules:
1. Each guess earned = 1 letter for the team to guess.
2. You may only guess consonants (no buying vowels in this game - so no A, E, I, O, or U).
3. You must make at least 5 guesses before solving the puzzle.
4. You do not have to have an available guess in order to guess the puzzle. If you guess the puzzle incorrectly, however, you will forfeit your next team guess.
5. When you solve the puzzle, you will move on to the next one!

Each puzzle has a different category that will give you a clue into the book title. Because the formatting is weird on Goodreads, check your group spreadsheet to see your progress of your puzzle. You will also record your progress and earn your guesses on the spreadsheet.

FIND YOUR SPREADSHEET HERE!

PUZZLE 1: BEFORE AND AFTER
This category will require TWO book titles, with one book title ending with the same beginning title word as the second book. The word that the two titles have in common is shaded green on your spreadsheet.

A House in the Sky/Sky in the Deep (But you would only guess the word "sky" once.)

PUZZLE 2: FAMILY
The puzzle is the name of two or more famous people who are closely related, or rarely, the name of a well-known family. In this case, it will be a book that contains the name of a family or multiple people, or will have a family relation name as part of the title (sisters, brothers, etc.).

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

PUZZLE 5: RHYME TIME
The puzzle is a phrase with rhyming words in it or a list of thematically similar things whose names rhyme. In this case, the book title will have a rhyme or alliteration within the title.

PUZZLE 6: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
The book title will (sort of) answer this question.

Since you made it through the first six puzzles I had planned in record speed, you are now entering our LIGHTNING ROUND!

New Rules for the Lightning Round:
- You must get either 2000 pages, 10 audio hours, or 2 books in order to earn one guess.
- In addition to vowels, you are not allowed to guess R, S, or T!

*All previously earned guesses will carry over into the lightning round.

PUZZLE 7: BEST SELLER
This book has been in the first place spot on the NY Times Best Sellers list.

PUZZLE 8: ON THE MENU
Titles will contain a word relating to food or drink.

PUZZLE 9: PERSON
Book titles in this category contain someone's first and/or last name.

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 477 comments Ready to go!

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 786 comments Good luck team!

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Good luck Capulets!!

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 902 comments Good morning team Capulet! This looks like a pretty straight forward challenge. Will check in later with pages read. Hope everyone has a great reading day!

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments Good morning! I had forgotten this was starting today, oops! I finished one book and started a new book this morning, can I count pages from both here?

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Yes, Chrissy, you can count pages read from both. You can only count the book as completed, however, if you had more than 100 pages left at the start of the day.

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments So far finished 5.5 hours of Faithful Place, audiobook while fall cleaning!

How do we want to handle guesses as a team?

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 902 comments Emily wrote: "Yes, Chrissy, you can count pages read from both. You can only count the book as completed, however, if you had more than 100 pages left at the start of the day."

If I read a graphic novel that is less than 100 pages does it count?

message 10: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 325 comments Finished my first book! Destination Wedding, by Diksha Basu. I had 120 pages left before today. It's a great book, very warm and funny, like a gentle Crazy Rich Asians, as is the author's first book, The Windfall.

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

The graphic novel will count for pages read but not books completed (graphic novels must be at least 200 pages to count).

Looks like y'all have two guesses available!

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 03:01PM) (new)

Hi all!

When you decide on which letters you want to guess, please have one team member submit their guess on this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Be sure to include your team name and the letter you'd like to guess!

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Ok, I'm going to guess the letter R for us in the guessing thread.

If we want to do a group decision process, let me know. This is my first read-a-thon/group challenge, so apologies if this is obvious.

message 14: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments Let’s see whether we get any Rs in our puzzle, and then decide what letter to guess 2nd.

message 15: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments I haven't gotten much read today but will update my page numbers before I go to bed.

Planning to drive Monday/Tuesday, so will get tons of audio hours then, but that plan might get changed because of fires on the west coast. So it's a little up in the air how good my reading week will go.

message 16: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments We got one R, and have 2 more letter credits. I’m going to ask for an N next.

message 17: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments Ooh! I know the second half of the puzzle! Should we just guess letters I know are in it, hoping they show up in the first half? I’ll put the book title behind a spoiler in case anyone wants to figure it out themself.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments I just realized the first half too... so I guess if nobody minds, I could solve this puzzle and we could get a new one.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 08:01PM) (new)

You must complete 5 guesses before you can guess the puzzle! Because I gave you all a vowel, I'll let that count for one of the guesses, so this round, you will need to complete 4 guesses in order to guess the final puzzle.

message 20: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 477 comments I think you are right, Chrissy. We need one more guess before we can guess the puzzle, right?

message 21: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Nice job Chrissy! I'm still reading more tonight, but probably won't finish my book until tomorrow.

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Chrissy you are a superstar! I’ll finish one book early tomorrow and have another 5 hours accumulated so that should be two more!

message 23: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments Ok, cool. We just need one more credit to get to five then, and we can start on a new puzzle! If someone finishes something tonight or tomorrow morning, go ahead and pick a letter. I have a phone banking training tomorrow morning, so I may not be able to check in till the afternoon.

message 24: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 325 comments I think we got another guess when I added my pages last night, so I’m going to guess H if that’s okay with everyone! :) (and Emily can correct me if I’m wrong about the number of guesses, oops)

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

After much thought, I decided to lower the page requirement to more closely match the audiobook requirement.

You may now earn one guess for every 1000 pages.

The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect that change.

message 26: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments I have a suspicion about our second puzzle, so as soon as we have another clue, we should guess R or H to see if I’m right.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments I finished a book this morning, so we have another guess. Are we officially done with the first one?

message 28: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 477 comments Do we have to post our guess on the Guess thread?

message 29: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments It looks like we have 3 more guesses coming our way, so I’ll post them on the guess thread.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 902 comments Great Job on your Chrissy! I Just updated the spread sheet with yesterdays reading.

message 31: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Chrissy, can you and I be a team on the real Wheel of Fortune?

message 32: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments I think the puzzles being book titles is making this easier for me, I’m not usually that great at Wheel of Fortune!

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 902 comments Chrissy wrote: "I think the puzzles being book titles is making this easier for me, I’m not usually that great at Wheel of Fortune!"

I am so impressed you got the second so quick - amazing!

message 34: by Alicia (last edited Sep 13, 2020 04:35PM) (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Just added another hour to the audiobooks and one book as completed. Looks like that gave us 2 more guesses: 1 under audiobook and 1 under book completed.

Chrissy take it away!

message 35: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Emily said this in the guessing thread:
Capulet spreadsheet is updated! You are eligible for a guess on your second puzzle.

Does that mean we don't need to use the 5th guess and can just guess the book?

message 36: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments I guess so? I'll put our guess in that thread.

message 37: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments We are on to the third puzzle, and have 2 guesses waiting. Are folks ok with T and S?

message 38: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Yup, take it away!

message 39: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Works for me!

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 786 comments Good with me!

message 41: by Laurel (last edited Sep 13, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Laurel Kristick | 477 comments Good for us! I just finished another book today, so we have another guess coming.

message 42: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 325 comments I just finished another book (The Once and Future Witches, by Alix E. Harrow; beautiful story, I loved it), and with that completion plus the pages from today’s reading tipping us over another 1000, I think we now have two more guesses.

message 43: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

ICYMI:

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

message 44: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Awesome Roxane! Have you read her other books? If so do you think it’s similar in style?

message 45: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Also, threw in the S guess that Chrissy had mentioned above. We still have 4 more guesses.

message 46: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments I put 3 more in, has anyone guessed the puzzle yet?

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments I was just about to post that as my guess to the puzzle. So I agree

message 48: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 902 comments I updated the spread sheet, I am hoping now that the weekend is over I will be able to get more reading done.

message 49: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

message 50: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 715 comments Also, I think we only need 4 guesses, not 5, before guessing the puzzle now

« previous 1 3