Start by marking “Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)

Mary Poppins

(Mary Poppins #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  114,739 ratings  ·  5,441 reviews
By P.L. Travers, the author featured in the major motion picture, Saving Mr. Banks. From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. W
Published June 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Poppins, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Any children's book that doesn't appeal to adult readers as well, probably has limited appeal to children too. Note that the great children's classics…moreAny children's book that doesn't appeal to adult readers as well, probably has limited appeal to children too. Note that the great children's classics are loved and re-read by adults who first read them as kids (or had them read aloud).

I do think that many of today's children won't understand that in those days well-bred English kids, both boys and girls, wore hats and gloves when they went out; they also might have trouble with the vocabulary and the idea of "high tea"--other than that, if the child has an adult around to ask questions, they should be fine. (less)

·  114,739 ratings  ·  5,441 reviews

Start your review of Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
Justin Tate
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the great horror novels. I particularly enjoyed the part where Mary gives herself an occult-themed birthday party beneath the full moon, with the zoo's entire snake population in attendance. Oh yeah, and the Lord Snake turns out to be her "first cousin once removed."
Miranda Reads
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
"I’ll stay till the wind changes," she said.
The naughty Banks siblings (having just ran off their previous nanny) are in for the surprise of a lifetime.

Their new nanny, Mary Poppins, is quite unlike anything they've ever seen. She slides up banisters, uses a compass to travel the world, talks to dogs and buys them gingerbread from stores that aren't even there. In short, she's perfect.
“Mary Poppins,” he cried, “you’ll never leave us, will you?”
Reading about Mary Poppins - nanny extraor
Wendy Darling
Reread for our classics discussion on the blog! http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2015...
--------------------------------------

If you've never read Mary Poppins, you're missing out on one of the great classics of children's literature. It's been a long time since I've read these books that I loved so much as a child, but I immediately felt as though I was visiting with old friends.

The thing of it is, I'm quite sure that I felt this way the very first time I read the book as well. P.L. Travers wr
C.G. Drews
I feel terrible right now. I mean THIS IS THE MARY POPPINS BOOK THAT IS SO FAMOUS ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE. And I'm rating it 2-stars. Let's have some positives first, though, shall we?

I love how magical the story is! The adventures Mary Poppins takes the children on? They're incredible! Only a few were in the movie, so most of them were new to me. I loved the wildness. Gosh, the author has a seriously incredible imagination.

Writing? It's really fabulous. That very old omni-present style...I r
Ahmad Sharabiani
Story of the world's most beloved nanny, Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins #1), P.L. Travers, Mary Shepard (Illustrator)
Mary Poppins is a series of eight children's books written by P. L. Travers and published over the period 1934 to 1988. Mary Shepard was the illustrator throughout the series. The books centre on the magical English nanny Mary Poppins, who is blown by the East wind to Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane, London, and into the Banks's household to care for their children. Encounters with pavemen
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
I have been thinking long and hard about my review for Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers… This book was all wrong and not what i had expected it to be and i would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you. So lets all sit back, relax, and talk Poppins… As the movie version ofMary Poppins would say...

Spit spot and off we go…

First lets start with the summary… Mary Poppins by P.L Travers takes place in England on the street Cherry Tree Lane... Inside 173 Cherry Tree lane holds a family of six Mr
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: enjoy being mean to children
OK, here's the thing: P.L. Travers's Mary Poppins is not Walt Disney's Mary Poppins. Weirdly, I love both versions equally, although Travers's portrayal of adult-child relationships is more accurate, I think. In the book, the kids clearly inhabit a fantasy world of which their parents are completely oblivious. Mary Poppins, an acid-tongued nanny, serves as a conduit to these fantasy worlds, which are often quite dangerous. Under Mary's protection, the Banks children explore some dark, glorious w ...more
Hannah Greendale
Wicked and wonderful in equal measure! Any way you choose to view it - a magical woman brings whimsy to the Banks' house, a sadistic 'good' witch gaslights a couple of children, or the Banks kids have wild imaginations bordering on insanity - P.L. Travers' classic tale of a priggish and peculiar stranger floating to Number Seventeen, Cherry-Tree Lane to nanny some children and stir things up is just good fun.
The wind, with a wild cry, slipped under the umbrella, pressing it upwards as though
Lisa
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no real magic in Mary Poppins' carpet bag or in her medicine, actually!

It is all about her modern pedagogy, I just realised. Have you ever tried to create a lesson out of nothing? (And, like Travers, I really mean no-thing-ness!) You start with kids claiming there is absolutely NO-THING INTERESTING in that carpet bag of yours, your subject. What can you do but shake it and turn it and show those kids that just because they don't see anything that doesn't mean it doesn't contain plenty
Matthew
This past week we have been watching Mary Poppins with the kids - their first time! They have been loving it! While looking for something to listen to on Audible, I saw that the original P.L. Travers book was available. Seemed like the perfect time to give this one a shot.

In some ways it is similar to the movie, in most ways it is different. I like the movie better, but that might be because I am so familiar with it and it's classic music that it was hard for it to to not come out on top. If you
Julie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wait. . . hold on. . . Mary Poppins is snarky?

You mean. . . she doesn't have rosy cheeks, a fresh shimmer of newly applied lipstick, or break out into overly saccharine songs?

She's not Julie Andrews?!

Okay, let me make the mental adjustment and open my heart to this edgy Plain Jane nanny who uses an early version of Jedi mind control to persuade her new employers to increase her pay and give her extra time off. Pisses off most of the people around her, too.

Let me wave goodbye to A Spoonful of Sug
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Pride and Prejudice (1) versus Mary Poppins (32)

NARRATOR: It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an impecunious father with four unmarried daughters is in urgent need of a magic nanny. And so it came to pass that Miss Mary Poppins took up residence in the Bennet household...

Scene 1

[Breakfast at the Bennets. The four sisters are laughing, talking loudly, reaching after toast etc]

MARY POPPINS: Lydia, don't slouch! Slouching is generally regar
Rachel
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book
Like many others, I wanted to read Mary Poppins prior to watching Saving Mr. Banks so that I could see what PL Travers arguments would be about Walt Disney changing her work. I have to say that I am glad that Disney changed it! In the story, Mary Poppins was not a likeable character to me. I just wanted to get through the story to see if she would change any from the vain and frankly, mean, woman that she started out to be. She did not. Usually, I like books better than the movie adaptations, in ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. If you're a fan of the old Mary Poppins movie (I am!), the original book is worth checking out. But I didn’t love it as much as I’d hoped. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

When Katie Nanna disappears from the Banks home without notice, Jane and Michael are pleased (“She was old and fat and smelt of barley-water”). But they’re not quite ready for the replacement nanny that the East Wind blows to their door: Mary Poppins, who promptly intimidates Mrs. Banks into hiring her wit
AMEERA
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
perfect book to make you sleep
Katie  Hanna
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is 1000% my aesthetic, and I love it to the moon and back.

I can't believe it's been fifteen years since I last read it. FIFTEEN YEARS, PEOPLE. That's a heck of a long time--but as soon as I started reading, I remembered everything. All the sights and sounds and colors, and even specific words and phrases on specific pages; it all came rushing back.

Raspberry jam cakes and gilt gingerbread and strawberry ice and smooth green lawns; peeling paint and golden snakeskin and soft yellow dan
Bradley
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness. A classic children's tale that doesn't suck. :)

Please, please be cross!

Well, in with the wind and out with the change, I say, and there's nothing more delightful than a rather hard-hitting charm-blaster like this. Mary herself is such an insufferable vanity, but she has such heart, and kids will always know the good ones from the bad. They always do. And it has NOTHING at all to do with a spoonful of sugar.

Stuff and nonsense. That stuff is all for the birds.

The best part is... my
Kathryn
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read "Mary Poppins" for years now. My mom read me many classic children's novels when I was a kid, and then I discovered some on my own in later years, but this is one that somehow slipped through the cracks. Not that Mary Poppins hasn't been an important figure in my life, thanks to the magic of the movie. I just always pictured her as a smiling, rosy-cheeked, singing, magical lady who looks like Julie Andrews! I was somewhat prepared for the differences between the book and movi ...more
Melindam
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was totally mesmerized by the Mary Poppins books as a child and I remember sitting in the library (it was a kind of nursery for me with my mum being the librarian :) reading and re-reading them any time I could get my hands on them (they were popular and in demand - not easy to get).

And while it is a far from perfect book, I still felt the allure while reading it as an adult: a nice, cosy walk down Memory lane.
Lp
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I know it's not unusual for Disney to eviscerate classics, but I was really surprised when I finally read this book to my children how little it resembled the Disney movie (which I liked!).

I adore this book. Mary is vain and crabby and a bit of a mystic, and bizarre things happen when she is around. But it's really about the ephemeral magic of childhood. I laughed out loud and wept openly when I read this to my kids. It is a wonderful book. I wish I'd read it earlier.
Duane
There is a dark undercurrent in this novel and in this character that I found disturbing. And a few of the other characters that you encounter I would describe as bizarre, like the old gingerbread lady, and the King Cobra at the zoo who likes to kiss your cheeks (no thank you). The movie, I understand, is different (I haven't seen it). As classic children novels go this one, for me, was not very likable, so three stars is the best I can do.
Paul Bryant
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: probably-never
Winnie the Pooh is wandering around outside the beautiful church of St Martin-in-the-Fields disconsolately. He appears slightly lost. Just a few yards away, perched on the low wall which surrounds Trafalgar Square, a smartly dressed woman is singing sweetly :

Feed the bear, tuppence a bag
Tuppence... tuppence... tuppence a bag

Two small children wander up to her.

"Please Miss, we want to feed the bear"

She smiles at the little girl. "Very well, she says. She takes their tuppence and gives them a sma
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This review contains spoilers for the end of the book!

Characters: ★
The characters in this book are so weird. Sure, the kids would have been relatable at the time this was written but Mary Poppins was an extremely unlikeable character who just awful and bizarre, and not in the good way either. None of the characters stood out to me and they all felt really flat.

Plot: ★
The plot was just awful. Nothing happened. Mary Poppins came and was horrible to the children; they went on a couple of weird adv
Diane
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a delight. I liked the Disney movie when I was a kid, but after watching "Saving Mr. Banks," which focused on P.L. Travers' childhood and her difficult relationship with Walt Disney, I wanted to read the original stories.

Other reviews had warned that the Mary Poppins character in the book is quite different from the Julie Andrews version, but that didn't bother me. I could enjoy both forms.

Of all the imaginative stories in this first collection, my favorites were The Day Out, in which M
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick review of the audio! This seemed a little different than what I remember of my book and record set I wore out from overuse back in the 80s (my poor parents! It was Mary Poppins all day, every day!)! I think my copy was the Walt Disney version and based on the movie with Julie Andrews, which made Mary Poppins not quite so temperamental! It was still fun and enjoyable, and I hope to listen to more in the series.
Rebecca McNutt
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. A true classic and the inspiration for the Disney film adaptation, Mary Poppins is still just as magical as I remembered it being. :)
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
1.5 Stars

(D: Dreadful)

I loved the original movie (1964), I adored it.
so I thought I would love the book too, if it was as great as the movie. (which presumably I thought it really was)
what a shame, I was wrong.
beautiful, friendly, good-tempered & always-smiling movie Mary Poppins turned to a petulant, rude, sour person.
only the first 2 pages & a few pages in between about stars were interesting.
probably children in elementary school or younger love it. maybe if I was 20 years younger I would lov
Lesley
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A one of a kind children's classic. You can watch my full review here - http://youtu.be/MsQ-7Xbf7PM ...more
Bionic Jean
“When their new nanny, Mary Poppins, arrives on a gust of the East Wind, greets their mother, and slides up the banister, Jane and Michael’s lives are turned magically upside down.”

Mary Poppins was every child’s favourite dream nanny back in the day. Created by the Australian author P.L. Travers, she seemed to epitomise a kind of Edwardian English gentility. Mary Poppins arrived with a carpet-bag full of magic, blowing over the roof-tops and through the door of the Banks family house, to change
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
I've only ever watched the Walt Disney Movie, and to be very honest I didn't even know it was based on a book.

While reading The Fireman; Joe Hill's protagonist adores Mary Poppins and Julie Andrews. So obviously I had to see the movie again - actually I think I last saw it as a little girl. As an adult I've come to read the credits of the films more carefully; thus discovering this movie was based on books by P. L. Travers. I went on a hunt and got hold of the first book.
MP
This was very, very dif

• Pippi Longstocking
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • Stuart Little
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • Frozen Fever
  • Peter Pan
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Twits
  • Matilda
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • The BFG
  • Heidi: Heidis Lehr- und Wanderjahre
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause w

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)

Articles featuring this book

Santa Claus has his work cut out for him this year. We asked on Facebook and Twitter: What fictional book thing do you want for Christmas? Here...
“Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?” 244 likes