Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures - Ravagers
This topic is about Doctor Who
The Doctor's Infinite Library > Eccleston Returns!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rick | 1340 comments 🙀😺😻😻😻

Big Finish just announced that Christopher Eccleston will be returning to play the Doctor next year! FANTASTIC!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/chri...

😻😻😻

message 2: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 602 comments Mod
😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Rick | 1340 comments It made 2020 just a little bit better. FANTASTIC!

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 105 comments Coming up in about an hour, I'll be one of the panel on The Legend of The Traveling Tardis - A Doctor WHO Radio Show talking about today's exciting news regarding Christopher Eccelston coming to Big Finish. Tune in live at the link below and feel free to comment and send in thoughts or questions. Or watch afterward, for that matter.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTraveling...

Rick | 1340 comments That sounds FANTASTIC!
Unfortunately, I don’t Facebook.

Rick | 1340 comments Good luck though, I hope the panel is a roaring success.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 105 comments We’re live on YouTube now if you’re on there?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQDc_Rs...

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Glad to hear he's coming back. Good actor and seems like a nice guy.

Knew he was going through some personal stuff and had a falling out with the Who-production office.
Was worried he'd pull a Tom Baker and we'd lose him for 30 years.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Being a fanboy and having written a tiny bit of Who fanfic, it's fun to look for the gaps in a Doctors' time where new stories fit.

And there is a big gap during the bit in the middle of the 9th's run, when he was traveling with Rose and Jack...

message 10: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments Yeah, and I’d LOVE it if they’re able to get John Barrowman and Billie Piper on board for that. Both have already done stuff for Big Finish, so it’s certainly possible. But I’d also love to see something set before the Doctor grabs Rose’s hand and says: “Run.” Something with a different companion than Rose. That would be cool. Or dare I say: Fantastic?

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Pre-Rose is interesting, but it always felt to me, like that's a very narrow space.
You could maybe get away with one or two stories, but not much more than that.

message 12: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments He’s just can’t look in a mirror: “Look at the ears.”

message 13: by Lori S. (new)

Travis wrote: "Pre-Rose is interesting, but it always felt to me, like that's a very narrow space.
You could maybe get away with one or two stories, but not much more than that."

But, then there's Clive's research with the Ninth Doctor showing up at various points in history. Now, I'm not saying this is all Pre-Rose, but given how little time we have between Rose and the end of the series, and how jam-packed the season is start to finish, I think those stories are, for the most part, Pre-Rose.

Maybe, after the fallout of the Time War, he visited various points in Earth's history, trying to find the right companion, the right place or time to fit in again. Maybe we'll finally get an answer as to why he is so bitter about human-apes (there's a sense of betrayal in the way he says the term. It, too, might have something to do with how humans are still around when Gallifrey isn't anymore). It'll be interesting to see what kind of stories BF comes up with.

http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/
http://www.unit.org.uk/

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments There's a big gap in the middle.
during Boom town, when Rose talks to Mickey and lists a couple places they've been and then during the finale they list a couple more.

Not against pre-Rose, stories, just more excited about there being a crowded Tardis.
Also, he references 'things he had to take care of', being what he was doing pre-Rose and then it never gets brought up again.
Be cool to see a story where he is dealing with Time War leftovers or searching for other survivors of Galifry.
And Cybermen...

I'll stop, or I'll just spend all day typing a wish list.

message 15: by Lori S. (new)

Now that I think about it, there's a place during Rose where the Doctor could have traveled and come back again ...

message 16: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments Yeah, I forgot all about those “research” snap shots!

message 17: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments And the comics have addressed some of the “openings” in between some episodes, but every time you open things a smidge, it makes the opening even larger for even more stories. Like what’s happened with the first Doctor and the new David Bradley audios. They’re set between the first and second seasons of the classic series and they’re just brilliant and wonderfully done.

message 18: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Lori S. wrote: "Now that I think about it, there's a place during Rose where the Doctor could have traveled and come back again ..."

Well spotted. I forgot about that.

message 19: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...

It’s definitely looking like they’re going for early days, pre Rose, for Nine. At least with the first set of 3 stories.

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Very cool

message 22: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments It’s being released TODAY! Fantastic!

message 23: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures Ravagers Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures Ravagers by Nicholas Briggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

He’s back! Christopher Eccleston returns as the Doctor and life is FANTASTIC!

(1.1) Sphere of Freedom - A convoluted tale that’s told out of sequence. We start at the end and work our way around through layers of stories and timeframes. Just delightful. Eccleston sounds like he’s not aged a day in the last 16 years since he’s played the Doctor and his performance is precision perfect. Just close your eyes and there he is, smiling like a know-it-all buffoon. Big Finish has done a fantastic job on this one, glorious sound scape, great supporting cast and a top notch script. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a wild ride.

(1.2) Cataclysm - Episode 2 is another fun-filled, fast-paced adventure with the Doctor. This one escalates the trouble with the time eddies and the Doctor, or his new companion Nova, just might be at fault. The pace continues at a breathtaking speed and the mystery deepens. Another stellar production, brilliantly achieved.

(1.3) Food Fight - This chapter’s title made me think this might end up like those old silent movies that concluded with everyone throwing whip cream pies into each other’s faces. I should have expected it wasn’t going to be that literal. Still, this one filled with some wonderful humor and LOTS of crazy timey-whimey stuff. Eccleston is just as fantastic as he was the first season of the rebooted series, and this certainly sets us all up for some wonderful adventures yet to come. I was practically in tears at the end, and it’s three episode old. Good stuff this is.

Crap! I hadn’t wanted to binge all three stories in one gulp, but I just did that. It was just too good not to do so, and as I had the day off ... there ya go. Over all, I am extremely pleased with this trilogy of adventures. It’s wonderful, nope sorry, it’s fantastic to Eccleston back as the Doctor. His tenure was far too short on television and he was sorely missed from the fiftieth anniversary celebrations. My one complaint, if it even counts as such, is that Nicholas Briggs over complicates the narrative. He has a tendency to do this, and it’s not necessarily a bad thing as his scripts are filled with delightful moments of craziness, humor, poignant drama and non-stop rollercoaster thrills. Adding the layering of, for lack of a better term, timey-whimey shenanigans just seems pointless some times and this was a case of that. This set also includes a nice little selection of music tracks from the series and the usual Big Finish making-of interviews with cast and crew. Oh jeez and now I can’t wait for Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures Volume 02 coming in August 2021.

View all my reviews

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Listening to the Avengers trailer, it was nice to hear Eccleston again.

While I like seeing new companions, it feels weird to see him with new ones, as his season was all about Rose.

message 25: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments Travis wrote: "Listening to the Avengers trailer, it was nice to hear Eccleston again.

While I like seeing new companions, it feels weird to see him with new ones, as his season was all about Rose."

Yeah, but … (don’t you hate that) … these particular audio-dramas occur before that season, and thus before Rose.

message 26: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Yeah, it's a little weird and makes the continuity a little clunky.

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 105 comments To be fair, Big Finish aren't the only ones to do Nine pre-Rose. The Beast of Babylon is set during the part of the episode Rose where the Doctor takes off and then comes back between her turning it down and him coming back to mention it can travel in time. And given that Eccelston clashed so much with that season's cast (especially Barrowman) and given certain recent events, it's hard to fault Big Finish for making a clean break of sorts. Supposing, of course, that Eccelston himself didn't put that in as a request as part of his deal to come back.

message 28: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments There are gaps in his run, but pre-Rose is a very narrow place to be putting 6 or more stories.
Especially giving him new companions. You have to ignore a lot or do a lot of mental gymnastics to make it fit.

The gap in the episode 'Rose' and the gap between 'Doctor Dances' and 'Boom Town' works better.

But, again, it also depends on what actors are available.

message 29: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 1340 comments Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures - Respond to All Calls Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures - Respond to All Calls by Lisa McMullin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(2.1) Girl Deconstructed - This was fantastic. A solidly entertaining, and indisputably Ninth Doctor adventures. This one really felt like it could have been a never-produced script written right in the thick of the first season of Doctor Who. Eccleston feels like his back in top form and ready for whatever the universe has to throw at him. He’s just as charming and irreverent and witty as he ever was.

(2.2) Fright Motif - This was fun. A riotous ride through music and nightclubs and urban nightlife.

(2.3) Planet of the End - Probably my favorite of this batch. Great performances and wonderful use of a small, limited cast. Excellent. Dare I say …

This set was FANTASTIC and even better than the last set. The ninth Doctor is back and he’s better than he’s ever been.

View all my reviews