Start by marking “The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)

The Beast of Babylon

(Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts #9)

When a girl called Ali pockets a silver orb that falls from the sky, little does she realize it's her ticket to seeing the universe! Desperate to retrieve the mysterious object, the Ninth Doctor agrees to let her join him on a dangerous trip to ancient Babylon. Together they must join forces to stop a giant Starman from destroying Earth before it's too late!

Eleven Doctors
Published September 23rd 2013 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Babylon

Start your review of The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
Alejandro
This is the ninth book in the 50th Anniversary event of eleven short stories featuring the eleven doctors with eleven different companions. Now, it's the turn of the Ninth Doctor and for this particular adventure, Charlie Higson, the author, chose to create a new companion, Ali.

The Good

Not matter that the Ninth Doctor only lasted one season in the "new" era of the Doctor Who TV series, I think that he is quite interesting and he brings an unique visual impact that no other doctor offers. Also, I
Callie *Fights Censorship*
For what it is, it's pretty good with a few extra special awesome moments.

The story itself is average, if feels a little rushed, but it is a short story after all.

The Doctor's companion for this story is a girl named Ali whom I almost instantly liked, but not everything is as it seems and the twist that is slowly revealed is more interesting than the actual plot.

BUT, here is the real reason this short story is a MUST-READ: Canon! Remember episode 1, season 1 of the new series entitled Rose? Rem
F.R.
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
What happens when a Tom Baker or a David Tennant or a Christopher Ecclestone dematerialise for just thirty seconds or so in the Tardis? Our human minds assume that time passes for the Time Lord like it passes for us, but what if it doesn’t? What if a moment for us is a whole other adventure for The Doctor?

That’s the conceit Charlie Higson goes with in the latest anniversary tale. Seizing on a fleeting disappearance in the adventure ‘Rose’ and conjuring up a dangerous jaunt in time and space for
Michael Kelly
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Higson is a fluid, interesting writer, and his depiction of the Ninth Doctor is spot on. But this book is dreadful for two reasons.

The first is a problem which has dogged all these short story ebooks: it's TOO DAMN SHORT! The plot is laughable: big thing shows up and the Doctor just happens to have in his possession the single thing in the cosmos that will banish it (good job, as there's no time for him to find any other way of dealing with it). There's no room to detail any of the locat
Kribu
Not a bad story at all, but it suffered from the same problem I've had with nearly all of these stories - a lengthy, relatively detailed introduction followed by the middle part (where the actual plot happens) that is hurried and not nearly meaty enough, and a short, rushed ending.

I wasn't initially happy to find out Nine wouldn't have Rose as his companion in this one, both because I liked Rose a lot better with the Ninth Doctor than with Ten and because I expect this means she'll be in Ten's s
Bill Meeks
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
This one was a wash for me. The whole Starman premise was interesting enough, but it fizzled out before they did anything interesting with it.

The main problem I had with the story was *SPOILERS* how it connected with the original 9th Doctor episode 'Rose'. It tried to close the gap between the Doctor leaving and coming back, something I really don't think should have happened. That's when the Doctor should have been visiting the Kennedy assassination, etc. from 'Love & Monsters' among other thin
Dan
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
Charlie Higson has created my favorite e-short so far. In it the Ninth Doctor picks up a girl called Ali and they head to Babylon, under the rule of Hammurabi, to face a god-like power.

The Ninth Doctor is captured perfectly, in his speech and in his characteristics. Higson uses the Ninth Doctor's cheeky grin to brilliant effect and I couldn't help but feel transported back to 2005 when a 12 year old version of me sat watching the first episode of the revived series.

The story is also great in m
Artur Nowrot
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this one, but it rubbed me in all the wrong ways, from the completely out of character Doctor (which makes me glad that I haven't watched most of the other Doctors, so I can read their stories and not suffer because of the way they are written) to the companion who knows everything about the Doctor, gives him advice on how to get Rose to come with him (this happens during 'Rose', before the Doctor comes back to tell Rose that the TARDIS also travels through time), then, a ...more
Natalia
The very last chapter was the BEST part of the entire story. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
Helen Hnin
2 stars.

The Doctor is out of character. The story is kind of all over the place and I couldn't guess what the author wanted me to focus on. (view spoiler)

a.z.
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, doctor-who
I was in state of lazy-to-read, so I think this condition might've biased my opinion. I was, in fact, not interested to keep reading this.

Ninth Doctor is my first doctor and my favorite doctor--it even feels like he's my first love on Whoniverse. That's why I picked this novella. But it failed on me. Other people say Higson depicts Ninth perfectly--perhaps I'm both a bad Ninth fan and in need to re-watch the entire series 1, but I barely heard Christopher Ecclesont's voice on my head when I was
Adam Stone
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Beast of Babylon features the ninth Doctor and is set during the period at the end of the episode Rose where leaves and then returns to the same spot to remind Rose that the TARDIS also travels in time. The Doctor here is very much the ninth Doctor as seen on screen and it also makes a few points clear such as the one that he was newly regenerated at the start of Rose and he had gone to the Earth after he had been made aware of the Nestene presence there. The story takes the Doctor back to t ...more
Ilse
*3.5 stars

Even though nine only had one season and it's been quite some time since I watched it last he was once again very vivid. I love how all these authors from these little books got the doctors very right and vivid on paper.
The story was really interesting and Ali was a very interesting character, it's nice to actually be able to read from one of the aliens minds. To see what they think and read how their thoughts lead to certain actions. Really interesting!
Leilani
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-in
Fun to see the Ninth Doctor visit a non-human civilization for a while, to get the chance to see him without Rose for once, and to have a perfectly plausible explanation for why he prefers traveling with human companions. A brisk little story, not bad for something that could be finished in the length of one afternoon dog walk.
Sophie
Dec 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
The comment about sentient creatures at the outset of story infuriated me, meerkats and humans... what about Susan the horse.

I felt the Doctors casual acceptance of the atrocities commit by his obnoxious companion went against his very nature and morality.

A let down.
Shruti Buddhavarapu
Aug 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Worst of the lot. Apparently punctuating every other sentence with "manic grin" is an acceptable form of representing Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor. The story started well, but I got really exasperated in the middle and abandoned it.
Shannon Blake
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ouch! The worst story in the series, Higson at no point captures the 9th Doctor's voice, it feels as if I am reading a nine-year old's fan-fic.
Myrthe
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first one of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts I've read, because the Ninth Doctor is awesome. The story was okay, nothing really special but still a good, quick read for Whovians.
Alayne
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5

Ese final <3
Melenia
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't like how when I reread them it gets rid of my original review... This was a great read tho.
Ben Truong
The Beast of Babylon is a short story written by Charlie Higson and is a part of the year-long celebration for the fiftieth anniversary for Doctor Who (2013). This short story is the ninth installment of what would eventually be twelve parts – one for each Doctor. The Beast of Babylon focuses on the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston).

This short story was written really well. I particularly liked the new companion Ali, who I connected virtually instantaneously. As a companion, I thought she was
Ana
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-steampunk
A short story that I, in fact, heard in audiobook form on YouTube. Maybe that made me more biased towards this story as the voices were spot on. Even so, I was a bit baffled with how blasé the doctor treated his companion after they went into a killing rage. Even as a different species without humanity, I didn't get the feeling of deep anger, even if understanding in the species own warrior blood, that I'm used about him.
Maurice Funken
Taking place in-between moments of the very first episode of the new Doctor Who show back in 2005, this is an interesting short story with the 9th Doctor and unlikely one-off alien companion named Ali. Sadly the villain of the story is a generic world consuming creature which is way too easily defeated, making this an underwhelming read after all...
Rob Melvin
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just like a bad ending can ruin a great story, a great ending of fantastic twist can make a pretty ok story great. This isn't the best of the stories by far, and placing a story within the events of another story isn't unheard of. But placing an entire adventure between a few seconds that we've all seen and think we understand is pretty brilliant. That alone earned it the high rating I have it.
Ariel
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To be honest out of all the books so far in the set this one has beyond the scariest monster with the best detail! The 9th doctor is by far the most underrated I believe, this was great. I loved the ending how he went through all that and then just pop back ti pick Rose up. LOVED IT!
Kristine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic!
Vlada
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the "Rose" mentions are giving me life! THANK you! For this wonderful story and for this girl, who gives the Doctor a push and makes him go get his flower. 😊
Julia

A mini-adventure featuring Doctor Who's 9th Doctor, a.k.a. the tough guy regeneration, a.k.a this cool leather daddy right here:

photo 9th Doctor.jpg

Personally, he’s never been among my favorite Doctors. But you know what? I loved—absolutely loved!—this short story. In fact, the only (non-Neil Gaiman) Doctor Who story I like more is George Mann’s Doctor Who: Engines of War, which probably isn’t a coincidence as the two stories share several traits. But I’m getting ahead of myself!

First, the plot. In a n
Isabella
Nine is my favourite Doctor. Not only because he was my first, but also because of his personality. I really enjoyed the acid humor and the layer of "srs bsnss" he brought to the show. Some say he's one of the "darkest" Doctors, and I can totally see why. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I like him so much as well...

So naturally, I was super excited for this story. I didn't want to skip to get straight to it, but I did do my best to read the others as fast as I could. And now that I finally r
Jacqueline O.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Doctor Who: Thirteen Doctors 13 Stories
  • A town called Malus, 9th Doctor
  • Salazar's One-Night Heir (The Secret Billionaires #3)
  • Doctor Who: 12 Doctors, 12 Stories
  • Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow
  • Cabin Pressure: From A to Z
  • Elixir (Elixir, #1)
  • Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1
  • His Shock Marriage in Greece (Passion in Paradise #3)
  • Awakened by the Scarred Italian (Passion in Paradise #5)
  • Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
  • Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel
  • The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery
  • Doctor Who: The Lost Flame: 12th Doctor Audio Original
  • Prince's Virgin in Venice (Passion in Paradise #4)
  • Wedding Night Reunion in Greece (Passion in Paradise #1)
Higson was educated at Sevenoaks School and at the University of East Anglia (where his brother has taught since 1986 and is now a professor of film studies) where he met Paul Whitehouse, David Cummings and Terry Edwards. Higson, Cummings and Edwards formed the band The Higsons of which Higson was the lead singer from 1980 to 1986. They released two singles on the Specials' 2-Tone label. Higson th ...more

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Big Hand For The Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #1)
  • The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock

News & Interviews

“You're a trickster, Doctor, not a warrior.” 3 likes
“Nasty things, you know, gods, they don’t much care for anyone other than themselves.” 2 likes