What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hunter in the Dark
This topic is about Hunter in the Dark
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA, read in '80s, teenage boy with leukemia goes on deer hunt by himself. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 139 comments I read this book some time in the '80s. I know it was something by an author who'd written several other books that I read, but I can't remember what the other books were so that doesn't help me much; however, does mean the author would probably be reasonably well known in '80s YA literature. I checked Lois Duncan and Cynthia Voigt, but couldn't find anything by them that seemed to fit. Definitely not Judy Blume, her style is far too distinctive.

Anyway: The book is set in the USA. The protagonist is a teenage boy on a deer hunt in the forest, on his own. Through flashbacks, we find out that he has leukaemia. His parents kept this from him at first and insisted the doctor didn't tell him the truth, but the doctor did give him the name of one of the medications that was treating him and so he looked that up and found it was used to treat leukaemia. He's on the deer hunt because he missed going on one with his father before due to being ill, and it's something he really wants to do; I think I remember a conversation with his friend where his friend convinces him.

At the end of the book, he's successfully tracked down a stag and is about to shoot. He remembers being in hospital and getting the IV chemotherapy and thinking 'God, it wasn't fair, why me?' He sights on the stag and says to himself, you're all mine and for today I'm God. Then he lets the stag go.

message 2: by RabbitMilitia (new)

RabbitMilitia | 233 comments Some major differences from the story you describe as it is the grandfather who has cancer and not the boy, but it does have the idea of letting the deer go. Asking to rule out- Tracker by Gary Paulsen?

message 3: by RabbitMilitia (new)

RabbitMilitia | 233 comments Never mind- probably this one: Hunter in the Dark by Monica Hughes

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 139 comments Yes!! I'm sure that's it; I know I read her other works, and the title and description sound familiar. Thank you!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 139 comments Sorry, just to clarify I meant your second suggestion: Hunter in the Dark. Thanks.

message 6: by RabbitMilitia (new)

RabbitMilitia | 233 comments Great Sarah! Glad to help!