Start by marking “Hunter in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Hunter in the Dark

Hunter in the Dark

Although best known for her works of speculative fiction for young readers, Monica Hughes has also explored insightfully the lives of contemporary teens in powerful novels. Among them is Hunter in the Dark, for which Hughes was awarded the Canada Council Prize (the precursor to the Governor General's Award for Children's Literature), the Canadian Library Association Young ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1983)

Charles
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
'Hunter in the Dark' (1982) is an inspirational story about a young man attempting to overcome the ordeal of being diagnosed with leukemia by fulfilling his life-long dream of going hunting in the Swan Hills. However, the book's somewhat facile writing ruins what could have otherwise been a rather evocative story.

The recent success of John Green's 'The Fault in Our Stars' (2012) has raised a lot of questions about the treatment of disease, and other such life-changing ordeals, in literature. As
D.M. Dutcher
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Gets as much right as John Green gets wrong in The Fault in Our Stars. A brief book about a young athlete dealing with his illness by sneaking off to a solo camping trip in the deep woods.

Mike seems to have a great life. He's a popular basketball player in his school, has a cute girlfriend, well-to-do and understanding parents, and a great friend with a family he feels a part of. However this all changes when feeling under the weather, he passes out during a basketball game. This signals the ons
Ashley
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
this was a class book we had to read. wow. I couldn't take reading this book. it was terrible. like literally. there was 0 climax and they kept switch the past and present the like every chapter which made it more confusing as it is. I wanted to go up to the teacher and say that he is down right crazy for us to read this horrible down right stupid nonsence novel.
Angela
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Alexander Frost
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was forced to read this book in my English class, and I absolutely despised it. The character of Mike Rankin is unlikable and it didn't feel like someone I could follow. The book also sets up this "arc" for Mike, but by the end of the book, he actually seems to be a worse person because of the event. I have nothing wrong with anti character arcs, but this was not the way the book was setting up for Mike to go. The truth is, this is a book that didn't need to be made, it didn't have anything to ...more
Shane Becker
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book. It was about a boy that was the star basketball player that was diagnosed with cancer when he fell during a basketball game and wanted to go hunting but his dad wouldnt let him so he drove off by him self to go hunting, he came up with the plan to go hunting with his friend while he was in the hospital. I was confused at the end though when he said he let the buck run away and at the same time say that he shot at it. Overall i would recommend this book for people.
Scott Hummel
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a boy who enjoys the wilderness and outdoors, but there is something in the way of letting him enjoy the things he loves. Having a hunting trip planned a sudden blood disease (leukemia) is found in his bloodstream, and he needs to start on treatments right away. The only thing holding him back from his hunting adventures for the whitetail deer is his disease and his parents, but this doesn't stop him.
Jemimah Lieow
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dr Gage speaking to Mike who has leukemia, “Life is fair, or unfair. It just is. It’s a gift whether it’s long or short. Perhaps it’s the way we live, the quality of our life, that counts, rather than the quantity.” Life isn't fair? What is fair, is there one human being in this universe that is grateful for the life he/she is in now? It must have been so hard to be God with such ungrateful human being that grunts at Him every nano seconds.
John Mabie
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This book is about a teenage boy named Mike Rankin. A star sports player who blackouts on the basketball court. After going to the hospitol his parents say he has to go back again and stay for a couple days. Yet they hide the reason. He spends his time trying to get better to go on his hunting trip and find out the mysterious illness that he has.
Emily
Apr 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got to page 30. Terrible dialogue, you son of a gun. The cancer plaguing the main character seems to be revealed slowly through a series of flashbacks, but one can infer it by reading the back cover.
Bayley Roy
Aug 21, 2010
Linda
Jun 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B