What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

C.L.O.U.D.S.
This topic is about C.L.O.U.D.S.
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Picture book re: character (in heaven? cloud makng factory/classroom?) who designs clouds for earth and, bored, starts creating cloud messages for people to read - clearly against policy. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn McBride | 5 comments I saw this book in the 90's, I think. Definitely before 2000. I thought I first saw it on the PBS show, 'Reading Rainbow', but I've checked all the titles highlighted in each episode (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...) and none seem to fit.
I can't remember if this picture book is wordless or not, but I think it had text. The illustration style was heavy saturated and colorful, with strong lines demarking shapes.
I best remember a couple pages: A figure sits at a desk, in a room full of figures at desks, all creating cloud shapes for Earth. This particular figure isn't satisfied with formless cloud shapes. He wants to create cloud shapes that look like animals and people. One page shows a young girl being held by the hand as she walks along a street and points up to a cloud shape he has made. The 'cloud designer' also creates clouds that form words, like 'Hello'.
The 'cloud designer' shouldn't do that, should stick to designing generic cloud shapes, but I can't remember how the reader knows he's defying policy or how the book resolves.
I've also done lots of Google searches, but everything I come up with seems too recently published or about weather systems. This book is not 'The Cloud Artist' by Sherri Maret, 'Lola Shapes the Sky' by Wendy Greenley, 'The Cloud Book' by Tomi DePaola or 'Sector 7' by David Wiesner.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Aug 05, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

Kris | 35691 comments Mod
Kathryn, have you tried Google searches which exclude certain names/terms (preferably words with a unique spelling)? For example:

site:goodreads.com [keywords...] -maret -greenley -depaola -wiesner

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20127 comments Willy Whyner, Cloud Designer for Bonnie's suggestion.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn McBride | 5 comments These are all wonderful suggestions, but not quite the right fit. Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to get a copy of C.L.O.U.D.S. just to make sure, since Pat Cummings is one of my favorite authors/illustrators *ever*, but the 'not quite right' fit is because:
The character designing the clouds seems to be stuck there, above the Earth, doing work they find dull. Rather than an invention making clouds, the character seems part of a group that does this work regularly. A major plot pivot comes (yes, I feel goophy typing that about a picture book! :) when the character decides to stop making random shapes and instead create cloud words.

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn McBride | 5 comments Kris, thank you for the suggestion of removing unwanted keywords from my Google search. I often forget this is a possibility. I've done some more searching and haven't yet gotten matches, perhaps because the age of the book means online content wouldn't have been created for it within the last 20 years (crazy how much the internet has changed in that time!!), but you never know...

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4268 comments Kathryn wrote: "These are all wonderful suggestions, but not quite the right fit. Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to get a copy of C.L.O.U.D.S. just to make..."

Here's a previous search for it: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... Your description reminded of it, and I searched, to find it was already suggested by Rosa 🙂

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn McBride | 5 comments Ayshe, thanks for bringing C.L.O.U.D.S to my attention again. The more I read about this, the more I think this is the book! I'm going to wait until my copy arrives before I say for sure.

message 10: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5217 comments I’m sure it is.

message 11: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5217 comments Kathryn?

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn McBride | 5 comments Rosa, thank you for bringing me back to this thread! I got the copy of C.L.O.U.D.S. and, lo and behold, this was it! I didn't remember any of the pages accurately, but something about the illustrations rang true.
I'm mad at myself that I didn't recognize the previous mention of C.L.O.U.D.S. in the linked thread and when I searched through older posts. Thank you everyone for all your help!

message 13: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5217 comments You're welcome.