Play Book Tag discussion

August 2020: Witches > Announcing the Tag for August

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The tag for August will be:

witches!

Please share your reading plans and recommendations below.

Remember, for the regular monthly reads, the book can be shelved as witches on Goodreads, or be a book that is not yet shelved that way but you feel should be.

One way to find books to read for this tag is to please visit:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

We encourage people to link to additional lists below if they find them.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3480 comments Omg, WHAT A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES!!

I am so happy :)

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Meli wrote: "Omg, WHAT A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES!!

I am so happy :)"

LOL!!!!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am definitely interested in seeing what others recommend for this month, especially if anyone has any new 2020 release recs.

The two that caught my eye are:
Black Girl Unlimited
A Witch in Time

I am not married to these two, but they are strong contenders!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9057 comments Was the vote at all close? Or just overwhelming?

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Amy wrote: "Was the vote at all close? Or just overwhelming?"

It was the clear winner. Both queens and grad school got substantial, but pretty even, votes. They were both well below witches.

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3480 comments Now that I finally checked the list of "witch" tagged books, I have the the following on my tbr to choose from:
White is for Witching
The Night Circus
In the House in the Dark of the Woods
Rosemary's Baby

For someone that championed the "witch" tag pretty aggressively I admittedly didn't have as many titles on my tbr as I expected.

I would also like to read We Ride Upon Sticks, but I don't have a copy.

In the House in the Dark of the Woods is short so I think I can read this and another title. Leaning toward White is for Witching because I've never read Oyeyemi.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Meli wrote: "I would also like to read We Ride Upon Sticks, but I don't have a copy."

Several of my friends really enjoyed that one! I may see if I can get a copy of it.

message 9: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1393 comments I’m with Meli! Yahoo!!!

I highly recommend The Night Circus. It is very good.

I’m in the middle of my reread for Harry Potter so those will qualify. However, I also want to read something brand new. I think I’ll read A Discovery of Witches.

I’m so excited about this tag!

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6484 comments I'm going to have to research this. Virtually nothing, but it seems like there was one I was interested in reading.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6640 comments Definitely reading Hurricane Season which I've been trying to read since the end of April to no avail.

message 12: by Theresa (last edited Jul 23, 2020 03:24AM) (new)

Theresa | 7819 comments I have several cozy mysteries floating around my TBR Towers that are looking excited right now at finally, FINALLY getting read. I've told them to simmer down, I'm still working too many hours and I'm moving my office in August so they are not all getting read but October is another story....

Heather Reads Books (gothicgunslinger) | 524 comments I had a feeling this one would win. :) I've had The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane on my list for awhile. It will probably make me homesick, but I could use some New England autumn ambiance as I've been stuck in the scorching hot desert recently!

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8813 comments I have lots of options. I think many of them are not available at my local library, and I doubt anyone is doing ILLs yet, so I'll have to see what's available. (At least the option is now there for physical books in addition to ebooks, though!)

Some of my options:
- Wisteria Witches by Angela Pepper
- Calligraphy of the Witch by Alicia Gaspar de Alba
- The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe
- The Witches: Suspicion, Betrayal, and Hysteria in 1692 Salem by Stacy Schiff
- In the Devil's Snare by Mary Beth Norton

message 15: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 783 comments Dare I say it? Yes, yes I do....

Outlander books 1 (Outlander), 2 Dragonfly in Amber), 3 ( Voyager) would be tagged Witches. There is an argument for some of the others to be tagged Witches also.

message 16: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 783 comments I plan to start my re-read of the Outlander series. In addition, I'm going to try to read Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharrat

message 17: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1986 comments In another group, I had a prompt with witches that I struggled with, because I generally avoid witches, vampires, zombies, paranormal, etc. And I don't care to read about Salem witches. But I guess it depends how you define witches. I loved The Night Circus. I ended up using the children's book Howl's Moving Castle. There is also The Witches Are Coming, humorous essays on the Me Too movement, and the lengthy fantasy The Priory of the Orange Tree

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1287 comments Here are a couple good books tagged "witches" for those who aren't into witches:

Circe - a retelling of Greek mythology
The Golden Compass - YA fantasy/science fiction
Quite a few Neil Gaiman books are tagged "witches"
And both Sarah Addison Allen and Alice Hoffman have books that are more gentle, magical realism than what we might think of as witches.

And I loved The Night Circus

I personally am planning to dive head first into some genre/urban fiction series. I've read some pretty heavy books lately, and I'm looking forward to my favorite brand of literary junk food.

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Meli wrote: "Omg, WHAT A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES!!

I am so happy :)"

Great result Meli, especially after being so sure it would win this time last year that I actually brought a book about the Salem witch trials on holiday with me. I didn't vote as I'm still finding my feet after our move back to the UK finally went ahead (today is our last day in quarantine, yay!) but I think I might have to jump back in...

message 20: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) Nice tag!! I'm so excited to start!!!

message 21: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The tag I didn’t want! 🤣 Because I’ve been so good at reading the tags this year too. 🤣

message 22: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) Maybe you would find something you like with the tag XD

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 721 comments I've got lots of possibilities! Susie I noticed some overlap with the Queens tag - you might like to check ALL the pages for that tag too, if you can't find one on the witches tag pages!

Here are my possibilities - will probably go with either Children of Blood and Bone/Northern Lights/Akata Witch/The Bear and the Nightingale!

A discovery of witches
Serpent & dove
The wicked deep
Uprooted
City of bones
Circe
The rules of magic
Wyrd sisters
Equal rites
The wee free men
Stardust
A hat full of sky
The girl who drank the moon
The vine witch
A secret history of witches
The bear and the nightingale
Wintersmith
Akata witch
The witches: salem, 1692
Carpe jugulum
Maskerade
Storm front
I shall wear midnight
The winter of the witch
Northern lights
The last wish
Shadow and bone
The girl in the tower
The ocean at the end of the lane
The shepherd’s crown
The magician’s nephew
Fantastic beasts and where to find them (screenplay)
The night circus
Throne of glass
Witchmark
Children of blood and bone
Six of crows
Witch hunt
The house with a clock in its walls
The silver chair
The color of magic
The mercies
Dark, witch and creamy
Sorcerer to the crown
A wrinkle in time
Touched

message 24: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) OMG, I loved Northern Lights and The Bear and the Nightingale!!!

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7819 comments And how about Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening, the graphic novel series whi h I hope to read..at least the first volume.

message 26: by Hebah (last edited Jul 23, 2020 06:09AM) (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments ZOMG, I HARDLY DARED HOPE.

Now we'll see how much reading I can actually get done in August with an impending tiny human...

Books I loved:
Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft (YA short story collection)
The Witches of New York - slightly magical historical fiction
Witchmark - lovely historical fantasy with strong romance subplot and mystery

Books I'm looking forward to:
These Witches Don't Burn
The Year of the Witching (should be in my next order from my local indie bookstore)
The Once and Future Witches (eARC)
The sequel to Witches of New York Amy sent me last year!

message 27: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3480 comments Doughgirl5562 wrote: "Dare I say it? Yes, yes I do....

Outlander books 1 (Outlander), 2 Dragonfly in Amber), 3 ( Voyager) would be tagged Witches. There is an argument for some of the others to be tagged Witches also."

Yep, I forgot to mention that! Outlander has amazing range.

message 28: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3480 comments Holy shit, Jenny, that is quite a list!

message 29: by Charlotte (last edited Jul 23, 2020 07:41AM) (new)

Charlotte | 1623 comments So many options!!! I was fine with either Witches or Queens because, I agree, there is a fair amount of crossover between the two. I have a ton of options...

Books I already own...
I started re-reading Harry Potter last year and next up is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy) (Yay!!!)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett
The Magician King by Lev Grossman
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

There are a couple of series that seem to have most of the books on the list that I'm on the second book of...
The Mortal Instruments with City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Throne of Glass with Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
(Basically anything by either author)

I've never read Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman because I loved the movie so much, but maybe it's time, especially since she has a new book in the series coming out!

message 30: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I've never read Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman because I loved the movie so much, but maybe it's time, especially since she has a new book in the series coming out!."

Fair warning that the book and the movie are VERY different! The movie is one of my absolute favorites and I watch it a couple of times every Halloween. About 5 years ago I finally read Practical Magic and I enjoyed it, but I couldn't help but keep comparing to the movie which I liked more.

Did you read The Rules of Magic? It came out a couple of years ago and is about the aunts in Practical Magic and it was very good! I recommend it if you haven't gotten to it yet.

message 31: by Cora (last edited Jul 23, 2020 08:11AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1422 comments Some options from my TBR:
Dead Witch Walking
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
The Witches (this one terrified me when I was a kid, might be due for a reread)
Truthwitch
The Rules of Magic
Practical Magic
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Labyrinth Lost
The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Hex
Poison Study
Witchmark
Children of Blood and Bone
Rosemary's Baby

Recommendations:
Uprooted (fairy tale retelling)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
The Crucible (classic)
Equal Rites (First in Terry Pratchett's Disc World Witch books)
The Bear and the Nightingale (fairy tale retelling)
Macbeth (another classic)
Garden Spells (light, southern style magical realism)
Witches of Lychford (very short, novella)
The Hangman's Daughter (historical mystery)
Enchanted, Inc. (light paranormal romance)
Magic for Liars (mystery set in school for witches and wizards)
Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day (ghost working at a suicide prevention hotline)
Company of Liars (historical mystery)

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9057 comments I have tons on my TBR and I don’t even need to try to hard for this one. I’m going with Wicked! It’s been on my TBR for forever. In fact it’s number four for oldest. It’s even on my trim list if by any chance 24 gets pulled. I own it so it’s sitting in my house, and I’ve always wanted to read it. I’ll also probably finish by the end of August, the goblet of fire with my little guy. And who knows what might else happen on my shortlist before August is out.

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6166 comments I'll definitely read A Discovery of Witches (I had started the audio when the vote was announced, and put it aside ... just in case...)

Others I'd be interested in (if I can fit them in)
Circe
Uprooted

Books I've read before that would fit and I'd recommend:
Bless Me, Ultima
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Outlander (and most of the other books in the series)
The Night Circus

message 34: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1623 comments Nicole R wrote: "Fair warning that the book and the movie are VERY different! The movie is one of my absolute favorites and I watch it a couple of times every Halloween. About 5 years ago I finally read Practical Magic and I enjoyed it, but I couldn't help but keep comparing to the movie which I liked more...."

I've heard that. I think that'll make it easier going in. I haven't read Rules of Magic yet either.

message 35: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 29 comments Sooo not what I wanted. I will find something - but really wishing I didn't read The Witches by Roald Dahl earlier this year as I was clearing out my TBR on some of his books I hadn't read! An idea for those that aren't into witches......The Witches

message 36: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 29 comments Darn it - I also read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz within the last 8 months and that would have fit too!

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9057 comments Rose, I was all I. For Queens. I think you will find something to enjoy. And as we like to say I’m the group, Harry Potter and Outlander tens to fit almost every tag.

message 38: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 29 comments I already read Harry Potter and Outlader :-( Not a big rereader.... first monthly tag I have found nothing on my tbr. But...I think I am going with The Witch of Blackbird Pond as I have never read it and it is a classic and shows high on many “to read” for kids books....

Whew did that require some deep digging!

message 39: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3018 comments Rose wrote: "I already read Harry Potter and Outlader :-( Not a big rereader.... first monthly tag I have found nothing on my tbr. But...I think I am going with The Witch of Blackbird Pond as I have never read ..."

Rose, if you enjoyed that Raold Dahl book, you might enjoy Terry Pratchett. DiscWorld books can be very funny. The Tiffany Aching books are written for young adults. The first one is The Wee Free Men, but I'm not sure they need to be read in order.

message 40: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8080 comments i will be reading Daughter of the Forest-with a buddy in another group-And will try to fit in Akata Witch, which I have been wanting to read for a long time.

message 41: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 435 comments Like some others, I was hoping for the tag to be queens. But I can make witches work. My TBR is a little light on witches so I think a reread might be in order. It's been years since I've read the Harry Potter books. Another option might be the Sarah Addison Allen books. I have a little time to decide.

message 42: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments You win some, you lose some! This time, I lost, but I may reread The Wizard of Oz. Magic, witches, fantasy, etc, are no longer things I care to read. I have read The Wee Free Men and at least one Discworld book with witches that I enjoyed (Wyrd Sisters), but I haven't been able to get into any others besides the City Watch ones, and even then I wasn't into the next book. Plus, they aren't about witches.

message 43: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2278 comments Jenny wrote: "I've got lots of possibilities! Susie I noticed some overlap with the Queens tag - you might like to check ALL the pages for that tag too, if you can't find one on the witches tag pages!

Here are ..."

Wow, that's quite a list. I've got The Bear and Nighingale on my TBR also. That's a strong possibility for me if I can get it at the library/on-line.

message 44: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2278 comments With Witches, you can go light or go dark. I'm going to try to keep it on the light side with everything going on in the world.

message 45: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Barbara M wrote: "With Witches, you can go light or go dark. I'm going to try to keep it on the light side with everything going on in the world."

That reminds me of a cute-looking cozy mystery series I spotted at the library starring retired witches. First book is Spell Booked.

message 46: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 29 comments Jgrace wrote: "Rose wrote: "I already read Harry Potter and Outlader :-( Not a big rereader.... first monthly tag I have found nothing on my tbr. But...I think I am going with The Witch of Blackbird Pond as I hav..."

Thanks for the options!

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1287 comments If anyone is looking for a romance slant to the witches tag, Nora Roberts has a few series tagged witches:

Chronicles of the One trilogy https://www.goodreads.com/series/1995...
Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy https://www.goodreads.com/series/9569...
The Circle trilogy https://www.goodreads.com/series/4459...
Sign of Seven trilogy https://www.goodreads.com/series/4501...

message 48: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2278 comments Hebah wrote: "That reminds me of a cute-looking cozy mystery series I spotted at the library starring retired witches. First book is Spell Booked...."

That one sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list if I finish what I have lined up.

message 49: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2278 comments I've been researching what I want to read so now I have a list to share. First off, I'm going with one that's in Sue's list. The first in the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy Dark Witch
Then:
off to Russia: The Bear and the Nightingale
The Rules of Magic because I like Hoffman
The Witch of Blackbird Pond because I've wanted to read this since I worked in a children's department back in the 80s
and finally, I've seen some good reviews for The Hangman's Daughter so i'm off to Bavaria.

message 50: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7819 comments Barbara M wrote: "I've been researching what I want to read so now I have a list to share. First off, I'm going with one that's in Sue's list. The first in the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy Dark Witch
Then..."

The Witch of Blackbird Pond - read that as a teen and loved it. I've been thinking about re-reading it - this might be the time!

« previous 1 3