On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Now accepting nominations for our September, 2020, Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2665 comments Mod
Greetings all! We are now accepting nominations for the Southern Literary Trail book selections for the month of September, 2020. We will consider books with a southern literary theme that has not been read by the group in the last 24 months. Two books will be chosen, one published in 1980 or before and one published after 1980. Nominations will be accepted for the next five days or until six nominations have been received for each category.
There are plenty of good books out there to help us take our minds off our troubles so let's have your suggestions.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and keep on readin'!

message 2: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 150 comments For the post 1980, I nominate:

A Gracious Plenty by Sheri Reynolds.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 601 comments I nominate Clay’s Quilt by Silas House for post-1980.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Langford Can I submit a book of mine? I write romances based in Georgia

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Langford You Can’t Break me by Sue Langford

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 601 comments See Rule 4 at the top of the group thread and consider if it applies to you.

message 7: by Kathryn in FL (new)

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 59 comments I nominate:
One Mississippi by Mark Childress for post 1980
Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell for pre 1980

message 8: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4152 comments Mod
Sue, you may NOT nominate your own book. This is not the place to promote sales. It is a group for people who appreciate SOUTHERN literature by southern authors. Reading the group rules might be helpful.

message 9: by Judi (new)

Judi | 454 comments I would like to nominate Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for the Pre-1980 September choice.

I would like to nominate Spooky Lights: Southern Gothic Horror by Eden Royes for the Post-1980 September choice.

Thanks.

message 10: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I received an email nomination from Josh for pre-1980. Men of the Mountains, by Jesse Stuart.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Post - Miss Jane

Brings to life a forgotten woman and a lost world in a Southern pastoral.

Inspired by the true story of his own great-aunt, Watson explores the life of Miss Jane Chisolm, born in rural, early-twentieth-century Mississippi with a genital birth defect that would stand in the way of the central “uses” for a woman in that time and place—namely, sex and marriage.

From the country doctor who adopts Jane to the hard tactile labor of farm life, from the highly erotic world of nature around her to the boy who loved but was forced to leave her, the world of Miss Jane Chisolm is anything but barren. Free to satisfy only herself, she mesmerizes those around her, exerting an unearthly fascination that lives beyond her still.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Pre- The View from Pompey's Head

Sweet, sleepy—beautiful—old Pompey’s Head, South Carolina. Anson Page thought he’d ground it out of his life for good. Now a Manhattan lawyer representing a large publishing house, he’s returning to his hometown after fifteen years to investigate the mystery surrounding one of his client’s authors, a major American novelist who lives on nearby Tamburlaine Island. Both painfully familiar and irrevocably altered, the landmarks and people in Pompey’s Head resurrect for Page the sweep of his past life. As he sets about resolving business matters, he collides headlong with the enduring power of lineage to determine belonging and dominance, exclusion and shame, and the realization that leaving does not mean escaping.
A deft interlacing of recollection and suspense, The View from Pompey’s Head is Hamilton Basso’s most popularly acclaimed novel. When first published, it spent forty weeks on the New York Times bestseller list and was translated into seven languages.

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Kathryn in FL wrote: "I nominate:
One Mississippi by Mark Childress for post 1980
Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell for pre 1980"

Tobacco Road was last read by this group in June of 2019. It's been less than 2 years, so that has to be disqualified this time. One, Mississippi was read 3 years ago, in June of 2017, so it barely squeaks by

message 14: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (last edited Jul 17, 2020 01:46PM) (new)

message 15: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 2144 comments Mod
Pre1980 what about Faulkner’s

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 16: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

That works, Laura.

message 17: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I received an email from Karen nominating Small Treasons for post 1980.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Keeton | 441 comments Pre 1980

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 19: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

This book has been read 3 times on the Trail. First in 2012, then again in 2013, and the last read was in 2017. It works on all counts, so on the list it goes. If chosen, it will be our most read novel.

message 20: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited Jul 18, 2020 09:38AM) (new)

The final nomination, received by email, is Pale Horse, Pale Rider, by Katherine Anne Porter.

That means that the nominations are closed and the polls are up and running for the September selections. Thanks to all of you who nominated and to all of you who participate.
For the Pre-1980 poll, Vote here!

For the Post-1980 poll, Vote here!

message 21: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

The polls are now closed and the selections for September have been chosen.

The winner in the Post-1980 is Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror, by Eden Royce. The winner in the Pre-1980 category is The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers.

Finally, for the Moderator’s Choice selection, Tall Woman (aka Laura) has chosen Storming Heaven, by Denise Giardina as the September Moderator's choice.

I’m also going to make an early announcement for my October Moderator’s Choice selection, as the book is not yet available, and I wanted anyone interested to get a chance to get library requests in early. In light of the passing of Rep. John Lewis, I have decided to choose His Truth Is Marching on: John Lewis and the Power of Hope, by Jon Meacham. This book is scheduled for publication on August 25th.

Also, the discussions boards are up and running for the August selections. They can be found here:

For Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry (Moderator’s Choice):
Initial Impressions: Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry - August 2020
Final Impressions: Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry - August 2020

For The Violent Bear It Away, by Flannery O'Connor, (Pre-1980):
Initial Impressions: The Violent Bear It Away, by Flannery O’Connor - August 2020
Final Impressions: The Violent Bear It Away, by Flannery O’Connor - August 2020

For The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, (Post-1980):
Initial Impressions: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy - August 2020

Final Impressions: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy - August 2020

Stay safe.

Happy reading!

Big Daddy Tom

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.