The Midnight Readers discussion

✧ Bookish > Books that got you in and out of reading slumps?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Stumbo | 2 comments Hi everyone! I got really bored so I tried making one of these, am I aloud to? Anyways, I thought it would be Fun to discuss books that got us in and out of reading slumps. For me, Red Queen put me in a really long slump and I didn’t read for a long time, and the selection is the book I always read to get me out of slumps, how bout you guys?

message 2: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments Tbh I need to think about that. There are definitely some books, but idk

message 3: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments The current book I am reading that is IT put me in a slump.
Percy Jackson got me out of the slump.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments IT got me in a slump too, I never finished it in the end. City of Lost Souls from The Mortal Instruments got me out of the slump though :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

im still in me slump an have been for 4 days😣

message 6: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) | 16371 comments A book that almost put me in a reading slump was The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I would have gone into a reading slump if I kept thinking about it.

message 7: by Mathea (new)

Mathea | 86 comments The lunar chronicles got me out of my reading slump

☆she's book obsessed☆ | 18 comments I like rereading books I loved

message 9: by Srujan (new)

Srujan (srujanreads) | 422 comments Into slump- One Indian girl. I really regret to read that book.
Out of the slump- Gently falls the Bakula by Sudha Murthy. She is my fav author.😊

message 10: by Bel (new)

Bel | 19 comments Lord of the rings put me in a slump for a few months and I wasn't motivated to read anything. Don't get me wrong it's a good book but it's really slow pace at times.
The books that got me out of that slump were any of Philip Pullman "His dark materials" and "The books of dust" :)

message 11: by Wormy (new)

Wormy (certifiedkilljoy) | 16371 comments If I hadn’t started divergent, Winterwood would have put me in a slump. So I guess technically Divergent got me out of the slump that Winterwood would have put me into

message 12: by shea (new)

shea Whenever I’m in a slump, I read The Hunger Games. Never fails. :)

message 13: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 285 comments To get me out of a reading slump, I usually go for a short and cute contemporary read :)

message 14: by Rheanna (new)

Rheanna (goodreadscomuser_rheanna) I read contemporary and audiobooks to get out of slumps! I find that books I dislike get me into reading slumps, recently Twilight and Turtles All the Way Down. Also for some reason Strange the Dreamer even though it is amazing.

message 15: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) the house of impossible beauties took me 2 weeks. once i finished that i read hurricane child which took me 2 days. they’re about the same length

message 16: by CraftySapling (new)

CraftySapling | 3 comments Throne of Glass got me out of a reading slump. It was soooo good and made me start reading again!

message 17: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments Actually the second Throne of Glass almost put me in a slump. I’m not actually sure if it was the book, but I was going into a slump. Ironically I started reading ACOTAR and it brought me out of it, but I was close

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyabookdragon) The second Red Queen book put me in a huge reading slump

message 19: by CraftySapling (new)

CraftySapling | 3 comments Holly wrote: "The second Red Queen book put me in a huge reading slump"

Yes! That happened to me too. I kept trying to read the rest of the series because I thought it must get better since the first book was really good, but it didn't.

message 20: by CraftySapling (new)

CraftySapling | 3 comments Adela wrote: "CraftySapling wrote: "Throne of Glass got me out of a reading slump. It was soooo good and made me start reading again!"

That's series is fabulous. I really need to start over because I'm going in..."

Haha, yeah, that happens to me too sometimes. (:

message 21: by Athena (new)

Athena of Velaris | 57 comments The Selection series helped me get out of a slump, just because it was a fun and easy read.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane, Unlimited got me into a reading slump because of the format. Basically, the first chapter is the intro, and the next five chapters are the potential results of what happen in the introduction. So you would technically read it from the first chapter, to Chapter A, and that would be the story. And then you'd go back to the first chapter, and to Chapter B, if that makes sense.

So it took me forever to read.

message 23: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments The Naming, Throne of Glass, Uprooted...

message 24: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Sargent (izzysargent) | 12 comments Harry Potter. I haven't read them all yet, and last week I just was not in the mood for what I had been reading. I picked up the 3rd HP and was immediately obsessed. Now I'm reading other books for a readathon this week. But I'm gonna go right back to it after I finish those books. :)

message 25: by Aahana (new)

Aahana  ♥ I think the Lord of the rings series got me in a reading slump and throne of glass completely shattered that slump (and my soul :D)

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  | 518 comments The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling once got me into a reading slump (because it was sooooo boring. Plus really problematic.) and Your Name in Fire by Kera Emory, a spunky paranormal fantasy, got me out of it.

message 27: by shea (new)

shea That’s coil

message 28: by shea (new)

shea *cool

message 29: by shea (new)

shea Haha

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) The Night Circus got me out of a big slump, and more recently Shadow and Bone helped me out!

message 31: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments Love Leigh Bardugo. I really want to read that

message 32: by shea (new)

shea That’s great!

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) That’s good!

message 34: by shea (new)

shea Good :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a quarantine reading slump from march to June (what a waste, so many books I could have read during quarentine!) and what got me back in was the 4th book of KOTLC. What got me into it was generally quarentine, but also the fact that I was reading 6,000 books at a time and I couldn't remember them.

message 36: by Bug (new)

Bug My favorite way to get out of book slumps is to read a cheesy middle grade book. I call these my animal cracker books.

message 37: by Issa (new)

Issa (issapeachesxo) | 1 comments I had a reading slump from March-July, and Red Queen got me out of my slump. Can't put books down anymore.

message 38: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela Parker (mackerel15) | 4 comments Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask this lol but I'm trying to figure out the name of a YA book I already read. I read it two years ago and can't remember the title or author. Spoilers about it ahead...So there's a little girl and in the end she ends up burning her own house down because she hates her stepmom. But through out the book, she meets a boy her own age and they like to draw together in an abandoned RV. I can't remember much else lol if you guys know what it called, that would be great. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Mikaela wrote: "Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask this lol but I'm trying to figure out the name of a YA book I already read. I read it two years ago and can't remember the title or author. Spoilers about ..."

it sounds similar to a tale of magic by Chris colfer, but I know it's not because the story is a bit different

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I know this really isn't an answer but I usually just re-read my favorite books, until I have the inspiration for something new.

message 41: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (toloveisdestroy) | 2 comments Chain of Gold immensely dragged me out of a reading slump. There's nothing better than reading about the children of one of your ships, and being able to heavily relate to one of the characters within the novel.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

@Jessica yeah I love it when I can really relate to a character.

message 43: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela Parker (mackerel15) | 4 comments i'm in a massive reading slump right now because of school and work i just feel like i never have the time😕

message 44: by Keag (new)

Keag | 11 comments Had that happen not too long ago but started the Spoken Mage series & The Life After series and those helped me out of it!

message 45: by nicole (new)

nicole  (idiotwithdpaintedface) | 258 comments I have so much to do with my school that I'm in a massive reading slump now and I hate it

message 46: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 125 comments Taylor wrote: "I know this really isn't an answer but I usually just re-read my favorite books, until I have the inspiration for something new."

Same... The Host by Stephenie Meyer is a really good one to get out of a slump with.

message 47: by Willow Anne (new)

Willow Anne | 988 comments Salt to the Sea got me out of reading slump and got me really into the historical fiction genre. It's now my favorite book.

message 48: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments i feel like what always helps me getting out of a reading slump is just picking up a fav and reread it

message 49: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments Mostly i will pick of anything sarah j maas or the six of a crows duology because those are my favs. But i feel like you dont have to get intoo a story and can just experience something you already love again.

message 50: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments the cruel prince definitely.

« previous 1