Vampire Romance Lovers discussion

What you're reading right now

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I would love to know what everyone is reading currently and how they are enjoying it.
Right now I'm reading Chosen the third book by P.C. Cast and her daughter in the House of Night series. The basis is you get picked by the Goddess to be a vampire when you are a teenager and then go to Vamp High School before you make the transition. While it's nowhere near the level of Twilight it's still pretty good. Very "teen" in it's dialogue, although she did just drop the F-bomb twice (which I wouldn't even blink at in an adult book but this is supposed to be for younger readers).

message 2: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Funny you should mention that, because a girl at work just lent me the first book in that series. So besides that, I'm reading The Darkest Kiss, which is the latest Riley Jenson novel by Keri Arthur; 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover, by Linda Wisdom (I think); and actually Stroke of Midnight by LKH, since previously I've only read the Anita Blake series.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHA... I'm reading Betrayed too...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

whoops i meant Marked

message 5: by calicheri (new)

calicheri I'm just starting Vampire Interrupted by Lynsay Sands. So far it's good.

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I changed the name of the thread, the "I'm" was just bothering me.

I finished Chosen and now I really really need the fourth book in the series. I don't think it's coming out till the fall. Bummer.

Now I'm reading Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn. So far it hasn't really grabbed my attention. Has anyone else read it or the others in the series?

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I just finished reading the five Blood Books by Tanya Huff, not bad. I'm a big mystery novel fan, so they combine mystery with vampirism and other supernatural happenings.
I also read the first two Jaz Parks books by Jennifer Rardin. They were pretty entertaining; good action/adventure.

message 8: by Britta (new)

Britta I'm currently reading the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It's pretty good. Not as great as Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood but not bad either.

message 9: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) "Marked" was great! Definitely a change from the Meyers camp, but enjoyable. I am always impressed that no matter how many vampire books are out there, people still manage to come up with unique worlds and ideas. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 20 comments I am currently working my way through Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series. They're pretty good so far. Likeable, well developed characters, and action packed. There have been a few nice plot twists as well.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 4 comments I am reading An Unlikely Redemption by Mary I. Mongiovi. Not very far in yet (I am always reading multiple books at once.

message 12: by Starr (new)

Starr | 13 comments I just finished Patricia Briggs "Blood Bound." It's about a walker (she can change into a coyote) who comes up against some pretty wicked vampires. It's interesting to see the world through her eyes. Mercy, the walker, reminds me a little of Anita Blake, but there is no sex, just the promise of what may transpire between her and some hunky wolves.

I have to echo Summer, because I am always amazed at how these authors change up the worlds and make it new. You guys have already suggested some books that it looks like I will have to pick up. Thanks!

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) Blood Bound was great. And IMO the series just keeps getting better. Iron Kissed, the last one, has been my favorite so far.

I put down Witchling, I just couldn't get through it. There are so many other things I want to read instead of wasting my time on something that is just not that interesting.

I've started the Anna Strong Vampire Series by Jeanne C. Stein. The first book, the Becoming, was interesting. I'm about to start on the second one, Blood Drive, and have pretty high hopes.

message 14: by calicheri (new)

calicheri I just finished Midnight Rising by Lara Adrien. It is Rio's story. It was good.

message 15: by Mitabird (new)

Mitabird I reading Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian and I like it so far.

message 16: by Mitabird (new)

Mitabird I liked Blood Drive. I thought it was better than The Becoming. The Watcher was pretty good too.

message 17: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 7 comments I'm currently reading Jennifer Armintrout's Blood Ties series. Just finish the first one The Turning and is starting the second one Possession.

I'm not exactly impress and for a bit I struggled finishing the first one. The first person presentation reminds me of LKH's Anita Blake but somehow Carrie does not pull as well as Anita.

Still it is a decent read and I intend to finish all three, (Third One is Ashes to Ashes).

message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I agree about the Blood Ties series. I only made it a couple of chapters into the 2nd book before I threw in the towel.

I just started Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave. I'm about 1/2 way through and it's wonderful. I highly recommend.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 20 comments I loved Halfway to the Grave!! I think the second book in the series was just published. Now I have to rush out and buy it.

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) Yeah, now I'm 1/2 way through One Foot in the Grave and it is just as wonderful. I liked the first one so much I had to get the next one immediately .

message 21: by Starr (new)

Starr | 13 comments I loved 1/2 way to grave too, but I think I liked it better than the one foot in the grave. I'm still contemplating.... I just finished it today. It was good, just a little choppy, meaning it wasn't as smoothly told as the first novel. Hmmmm.....Juries out.

message 22: by calicheri (new)

calicheri I just finished Time Without End by Linda Lael Miller. It's an old one that I kept hearing about. Valerian is on a few peoples top 10 heroes list. I thought the book was ok but I'm not going to look for the other in the series.

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I'm reading Tall, Dark and Dead by Tate Hallaway. It's interesting. Not captivating but ok. Has anyone read the rest of the series? other opinions?

message 24: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) "Staked" by J.F. Lewis

and after that I'll go for "Marked: The House of Night" by P.C. and Kristin Cast.

Afterwards, I'm not sure. I'll find something, I'm sure!

message 25: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I like the House of Night books. I didn't think I would because they seem very "high school" but now I'm anxiously waiting on the fourth to come out.

message 26: by Freda (new)

Freda (arkie_fallenangel) | 4 comments I've just started the fourth book in Jennifer Armintrout's blood ties - All Souls Night.

message 27: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Morgan, I liked the Twilight series when I read them last year (not to mention I was HOOKED on Edward Cullen) so I thought I'd give these a try. I don't mind reading about high school cuz to be honest, I miss those years! I'm 10 years removed from high school and it's fun to remember all the angst (even though I wouldnt' say I was an angsty kid to begin with, but I digress) and what it felt like to be a teen because believe it or not, we do forget how it feels.

message 28: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Freda, I have the first one in my to be read pile. How are they? Do you like them?

message 29: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) I read the first two Armintrout books. I liked them, though I did have occasional issues; I'll definitely be finishing the series.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Morgan I have read the Garnet Lacy series, I have book three on my side table waiting to be read. I think this series is a good read but if your expecting along the lines of Blake and Darkyn, well it's not.It's a light and enjoyable read I find it very similar to the Bronwyn Witch series and the Glory St. Clair series. I enjoy these series when I want to get away from all the hardcore sex and violence for a bit. I say pick up Dead and Sexy( the next book in the series) As with most series the second book is always better than the first.

message 31: by Freda (new)

Freda (arkie_fallenangel) | 4 comments Ranata,
I like them, but I'm not sure I would classify them as romance, though. I don't think I can expand upon that without spoiling, but I will say the romance aspect, in my opinion, takes a back seat to the advancement of the other storyline going on.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 20 comments I just started The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I'm only five or six chapters in, but I'm already hooked.

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris are a great read. There are 8 books published and more to come. I have the Witchling right now that I'm working on. It is kinda slow moving, but from what I understand this book is packed w/ info b/c the author wants you all of the background stories. The next 2 books have better reviews. So I'm going to tough it out.

message 34: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Freda, that's my kind of book. I'm not big on a lot of romance but as long as I get some sexual tension, i'm fine.

message 35: by Sella (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:34AM) (new)

Sella Malin Right now, I'm almost done with New Moon (two chapters left) by Stephenie Meyer. Amazing book!

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (celticrockchic) | 2 comments I'm reading the Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women. It's a collection of short stories and so far it's pretty good.

message 37: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) Just finished Once Bitten Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin. I thought is was a great start to a series, lots of foreshadowing of story lines to come. I wouldn't call it a romance though. The main character Jaz Parkers and her vampire partner are assassins for the CIA. She has skeletons in her closet and growing supernatural powers that she's just learning about. Hopefully the following books will live up to the first.
Plus I love a good name theme: Once Bitten Twice Shy, Another One Bites the Dust, Biting the Bullet, Bitten to Death, etc... I don't know why, it just makes me happy.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ferrel (mishabean) Currently reading Tempted in the Night (Night Slayer, Book 3) by Robin T. Popp. Everything else written by Ms. Popp is amazing so I have no doubt that this book will be just the same.

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Reading Halfway To the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I love it. It is a really really sweet story and the action is amazing. The protagonist is not a ditz or a whore and I love it!

message 40: by Morgan (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) Hello Breaking Dawn!!!!

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill | 1 comments Breaking Dawn as of yesterday. I'm also Feehan's Carpathian series (loved Gregori's books) and trying to get through the DH series before Ash is released. Only 2 more to go. I can do it before the 5th if I stop reading Breaking Dawn...like that is going to happen!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I just finished Cry Wolf by Briggs and now I'm starting the Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn. I gave up trying to read Dead Witch Walking for the moment, it was just too slow for me. I'm patiently waiting for Rhapsody to send Breaking Dawn ( sighs it doesn't ship until the 11th).

message 43: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I'm waiting for pay day (this Friday) so I can pick up Breaking Dawn. I'll be excited when I get my hands on it but right now I'm kind of okay about not getting it right away.

I'm reading a non-vampire, non-romance book called Nightlife by Rob Thurman. And Jael, I took had to put Dead Witch Walking down because I was almost 200 pages in and I was still bored by it. Glad it's not just me!

message 44: by calicheri (new)

calicheri Ranata, how do you like Nightlife? I knew it was more uf than romance, but is there no romance? I need at least a little romance.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading the Twilight series. I started late.. I know... but I love the books and can't wait to read the new ones.

message 46: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) There isn't really any romance in Nightlife. But there is a very very slight hint that there could be some in the future...maybe. That aside, I really enjoyed this series and I'm waiting to get my hands on the third one.

message 47: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Cheri, Nightlife has no romance so far. I don't think it'll come to that at all because the one girl I thought the lead chracter might like isn't talking to them anymore (them being Cal and his brother Niko). Right now, it's going a bit slow and I'm on Chapter 8 but maybe that's because I misplaced it a few days later and have just forgotten why I was so into it at first, lol.

I'm working it out though. Next I'll pick up either Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs for the Urban Fantasy book of the month or Breaking Dawn. Probably will be Breaking Dawn since I don't want to be spoiled by reading it too late.

message 48: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Put Nightlife aside for Breaking Dawn. I probably won't pick it up again until I'm absolutely broke and in desperate need of some reading material.

message 49: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I'm reading, 'Bond of Blood' by Diane Whiteside.

So far I actually like it though there are times in the novel that are a little dull and the begining was a little hard to understand but I'm 3/4 of the way done and boy this is a hot and enticing story.

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina (christina_spiros) | 1 comments I spent all summer reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series (in order) AND Christine Feehan's Dark Carpathian series (in order) AND Lynsay Sands Argeneau series (NOT in order). I have read all of the Twilight series except Blood Dawn - waiting to get it from my sister.

My daughter has the Marked series and LOVED it - have to read those too. She also has the Vampire Acedemy series and loves those books too, so another on my list.

I have read all of JR Ward's Brotherhood books except the last one. Will be working on that one soon. LOVE the BDB boys!

« previous 1 3 4