Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly Challenges > 2020 June Pick-It-For-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 20, 2020 06:31AM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments 2020 June PIFM Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!

After signups are closed, your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or friend the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to send a friend request to the person picking for you as soon as possible after the matchups are posted. Whether your profile is private or not, it is also very important that your profile be set to receive Private Messages (PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you (mods, organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks:
You can ask for repicks if:

✱ The books picked for you are not yet released.
✱ If you have already read the chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
✱ If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because:
✱ A book is not available at your library.
✱ A genre or author you don’t enjoy.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question:

✱✱Which one of the following popular cat names do you like best? ✱✱

A. Oliver
B. Bella
C. Simba

These are the top three most popular cat names (in order of popularity) for 2020 according to one cat website that accumulated data from several sources.

✱✱ If you have a preferred shelf, please list it along with your pick! ✱✱

IMPORTANT DATES
For your convenience a Time Zone Converter .

You’ll have until May 28 ( 8 pm US EDT) to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ . If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

✱Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host's discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!✱

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2020 12:35PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!

Pickees
✱ To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed (Did Not Finish) or authors that don’t work for you as well as favorite books and authors. In addition, you might consider updating your profile. You can include info about your favorite books, authors, genres, themes or tropes (or themes/tropes you dislike – i.e. secret baby).
✱ Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign-up thread. This information will not be included in the pairings and your pickee may not see your message and does not need to rely on that information when making picks.

Pickers
✱ Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, of your picks should be romance. There are various sub genres within the romance category - Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you could add a non-romance as a choice.

✱ You will be using 8 picking rules to select books for you pickee. Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they've never read any of the author's work previously. The remaining 4 titles should come from your pickee's tbr, with a minimum of one from their preferred shelves if provided. Be sure to pick at least one book for each picking rule, but please limit your picks to no more than two books per rule as sometimes having too many options is worse than too few.

Please remember when you are giving new recommendations, you are not limited to titles that you have read. You can choose books that are new releases, on your tbr, or titles you looked up on Goodreads or Amazon that you think your pickee would enjoy.

A few hints to help with book selection:
Check the book’s publishing date. Select "date pub" from the checkbox selections and save.
Check pickee's personalized shelves, especially their exclusive shelves. A personalized shelf is one the member has created. (e.g., 'to read next', 'favorites' ‘didn’t like’)
Make sure the books you choose are not on their 'read' shelf. Just because it isn't rated doesn't mean it wasn't read.
Look at your pickee's 'read' shelf and see what genres they have recently read or read the most. Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.
✱ If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.) Contact the Mods or the month's organizer for guidance.
Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their 'to-read' shelf, an older book on their 'to-read' shelf) This variety gives your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read; page numbers, ratings, etc.

If you want to volunteer to make repicks:
✱ We love that you want to help out, but please remember those who need picks have been waiting for a long time already. Please only volunteer if you are able to make the repicks within a few hours of the deadline. Thank you!

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2020 05:03PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments 2020 June PIFM Challenge - Participants

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 28, 2020 01:37PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments 2020 June PIFM Challenge- Pairings

Please pick for the person below you in your group, the person at the bottom picks for the person at the top. For example, HeatherMarie picks for Kathy D

*= picks given

A. Oliver

*KathyD c m g 40
*NancyH
*Carrie mgp
* Laura
*Gabriella PIFM
*Mary-Megan PIFM
Kate
*Monychallenge tbr
*HeatherMarie picking

B. Bella

*Fran PIFM
*becca da
*Elena
*Carina PIFM
*Kate
*Courtney Audiobook
*Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress meet&greet
*Sari

C. Simba

*Suzanne
*Nayara PIFM
*Sonja PIFM
*Chaos tbr owned shelf
*MountainKat to read asap
*Nikitha
*Aiswrya
*ZaraS 2 read next
*LaurLa 04 pick me please

*Becca picks for Jules
*Jules picks for Becca

*Mony picks for Nikki
*Nikki picks for Mony

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2020 05:03PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments 2020 June PIFM Challenge - Picking Rules

June is Adopt-A-Cat Month...here are some fun facts about cats!

1. The oldest known pet cat existed 9,500 years ago
*Recommend a book that has been on your pickees shelf for awhile or a book that you read a long time ago and loved

2. Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping
*Recommend a book with star(s) or a moon on the cover or a book with a dark cover

3. A cat was the Mayor of an Alaskan town for 20 years
*Recommend a small-town romance or a book with an unusual title

4. The record for the longest cat ever is 48.5 inches
*Recommend a longer book or a book that is part of a long series

5. The richest cat in the world had £7 million
*Recommend a book with a wealthy character or a book set in England

6. Cats walk like camels and giraffes- Their walking sequence is both right feet first, followed by both left feet, so they move half of their body forward at once. Camels and giraffes are the only other animals to walk this way!
*Recommend a book with an animal on the cover or in the story or a paranormal romance

7. Isaac Newton invented the cat door
*Recommend a book with a smart or nerdy character or a book where a character travels somewhere

8. In 1963 a cat went to space
*Recommend a book with a 6 or a 3 in the page count or publishing date (any edition) or a book that sounds out of this world!

**Remember to pick four NEW books and four from your pickee's TBR or preferred shelf. Please limit your picks to no more than two for each rule, too many choices can be as bad as too few!**

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2020 12:42PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments **You do not need to include a preferred shelf if you would like to use your tbr shelf.

If you have a preferred shelf, PLEASE include the link with it when you post it in this thread. It really helps the hosts when listing the participants and pairings. Thank you!!

message 7: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2020 12:40PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments I'm in!

I will say B. Bella.....a nod to my Twilight reading days :)

PIFM shelf- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1745 comments I'm in! My dog growing up was called Bella 😂

Im going with Oliver for a cat! Reminds me of Oliver and Company which is an adorable film xx

Use my want to read shelf, thank you.

message 9: by Nayara (new)

Nayara (nayalink) | 627 comments I'm in and I'm going with Simba.

Please use my PFM shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (last edited May 20, 2020 07:52PM) (new)

Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (thebookishattitude) | 80 comments I once had a kitten named Kovu after the the Lion from Lion King 2 so for nostalgic reasons alone I'm going with Simba.

Please use my Tbr Owned Shelf

message 11: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments I’m in! I’m going with Simba. Reminds me of my childhood days watching the lion king movies back to back, every day! Drove my parents crazy 😂

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate  Noto (katenoto) I'm in. and I like the name Oliver

message 13: by Sonja (last edited May 20, 2020 10:22AM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1047 comments I'm protesting that we're already looking at June, but I'm in anyway! Since I was campaigning to name our son Oliver (I was denied) and our daughter Isabella (we went with another name), I'm going with Simba !
Please use my PIFM shelf and thanks for hosting, Fran!

message 14: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1047 comments Aiswrya wrote: "I’m in! I’m going with Simba. Reminds me of my childhood days watching the lion king movies back to back, every day! Drove my parents crazy 😂"

HAAHA! Same here! I think I know the whole movie and songs by heart! ;)

message 15: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1047 comments Laura wrote: "I'm in! My dog growing up was called Bella 😂

Im going with Oliver for a cat! Reminds me of Oliver and Company which is an adorable film xx

Use my want to read shelf, thank you."

An adorable movie indeed!

message 16: by Nayara (new)

Nayara (nayalink) | 627 comments Sonja wrote: "I'm protesting that we're already looking at June, but I'm in anyway! Since I was campaigning to name our son Oliver (I was denied) and our daughter Isabella (we went with another name), I'm going ..."

Me reading your choise 🤣

message 17: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1047 comments Nayara wrote: "Sonja wrote: "I'm protesting that we're already looking at June, but I'm in anyway! Since I was campaigning to name our son Oliver (I was denied) and our daughter Isabella (we went with another nam..."

LOL too much? Hey I bolded my final answer! :D

message 18: by Mony (new)

Mony (mony1) | 560 comments Oliver please
My books are in challenge-tbr ‎

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

looking forward to this!

message 19: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2252 comments i'm in! i love all of them, but Oliver is my favorite of the three. =)
c-m-g-40

message 20: by Carina (new)

Carina | 138 comments I’m going with Bella. Use https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 54 comments I'm in! So excited! I'll pick Bella.

Use my TBR shelf to pick out some recommendations. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Also, a lot of books that I want to read are not on my to-read list, so you could really recommend anything if you want.

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited May 20, 2020 09:59PM) (new)

MountainKat | 19732 comments ME! 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

I'm going to go with Simba because it reminds me of a ginger kitty and I love ginger kitties! And it is more like something I would name a pet than the other names.

Please use my to-read-asap shelf, thanks!

message 23: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 932 comments I'm in. I haven't done this challenge in an extremely long time but I thought I would give it a go again now.

Please use this shelf: 2-read-next-home

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 826 comments A. Oliver

Please use https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... (re-reads are fine that's why they are there)

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 826 comments ZaraS wrote: "I'm in. I haven't done this challenge in an extremely long time but I thought I would give it a go again now.

Please use this shelf: 2-read-next-home"

ZaraS, you need to answer the question to be put in a specific group of pickers.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate | 81 comments I'm in!

Bella...simply because I call my cat Ellie Belly and Bella is kinda close to that.

Use this shelf: To Read

Although I kinda open to whatever. Always looking for new books and authors!

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 21, 2020 08:07AM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Welcome everyone!!
I love reading all of your reasonings for choosing a specific cat name! Only a few more days until the picking begins!

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I'm in and I vote for Simba!!

message 29: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 932 comments Carrie wrote: "ZaraS wrote: "I'm in. I haven't done this challenge in an extremely long time but I thought I would give it a go again now.

ZaraS, you need to answer the ..."

Sorry Fran. I think I did answer the question in my head but it obviously didn't reach the screen. I meant to answer Simba.

message 30: by Gabriella (last edited May 21, 2020 08:40AM) (new)

Gabriella | 203 comments I'm in. I'm going with Oliver.
My shelf: pifm

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments ZaraS wrote: "Carrie wrote: "ZaraS wrote: "I'm in. I haven't done this challenge in an extremely long time but I thought I would give it a go again now.

ZaraS, you need..."

No problem!! Simba it is :)

message 32: by Elena (new)

Elena K | 23 comments I’m in

message 33: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2172 comments I'm in for A. Oliver

Please use : pifm

message 34: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Elena wrote: "I’m in"

Hi Elena! Please let me know your answer to the sorting question in the first post- thanks!

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Updated to here

message 36: by Sari (last edited May 21, 2020 09:24AM) (new)

Sari Ruff | 2 comments I'm in. Bella

I'm new to goodreads, so my want to read shelf isn't that full. And i don't have a PIFM list, not quite sure how to get one either (DM me??). But I'd love to participate and have a good recommendation of something new.

message 37: by Nikitha (new)

Nikitha | 500 comments Hi, I'm in and I'm going with Simba!

message 38: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments A please.picking

message 39: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1047 comments ZaraS wrote: "I'm in. I haven't done this challenge in an extremely long time but I thought I would give it a go again now.

Welcome back!!

message 41: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3335 comments Simba for me!
04-pick-me-please

message 42: by Elena (new)

Elena K | 23 comments My choice is Bella.

I do not know how to reply there on somebody’s message.

Sorry for that)

message 43: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Elena wrote: "My choice is Bella.

I do not know how to reply there on somebody’s message.

Sorry for that)"

Thanks Elena!

If you would like to reply to someone's post you need to click the 'reply' link at the bottom right of the post and then type your response in the text box that pops up. Hope that helps!

message 44: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Updated to here :)

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Please let me know if I've missed you or put you in the wrong place- thank you!

Pairs and picking begin tomorrow night!

message 46: by Elena (new)

Elena K | 23 comments I am using phone app for goodreads, so it is not so easy for many things to do there. And it doesn’t have a reply button there.

:)

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Elena wrote: "I am using phone app for goodreads, so it is not so easy for many things to do there. And it doesn’t have a reply button there.

:)"

The app is definitely limiting! You are good to go- in the Bella group :)

message 48: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 938 comments I signed up the very first day, for the Oliver group, but I don't see my name there. I did it from my phone so maybe it didn't get through or something.

message 49: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments I've added you to the Oliver group NancyH!

Only 45 more minutes to wait until pairings and rules are posted!

message 50: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 240 comments Did I make it? I'm in B bella

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

« previous 1 3 4