The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

83 views
TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.9 - Beth NC's Task: Let's Go Have Some Summer Fun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 20, 2020 08:37AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4932 comments Mod
30.9 - Beth NC Task: Let’s Go Have Some Summer Fun

Typically summer is a downtime for mediation so I am able to plan mini vacations with my friends and family. Because of the pandemic, our choices for summer fun may be limited. Of course we will still enjoy every moment together whether a day trip, mini-vacation or a staycation.

Choose two options from the list below and read two books, one for each option.
REQUIRED: Indicate the options you used

Option 1: Let’s Go to the Beach – Read a book set in a coastal or beach town.
REQUIRED: If the setting is not evident include a reference to establish how the book fits the task.

Option 2: Let’s Go Camping (in a tent, RV’s don’t count) – Read a book with the letters “TENT” found intact in a single word in the Title/subtitle.
Examples
The Red Tent - TENT
Dishonorable Intentions - inTENTions
The Tenth Circle - TENTth

Option 3: Let’s go to the Theater/Pavillion – Read a book where the main character is either a musician, an actor or other person involved in the theater in some way (set designers, costumers, etc.). "Theater" includes movies and television, professional or amateur, and your book can be fiction or nonfiction.
REQUIRED: If the occupation is not evident include a reference to establish how the book fits the task.

Option 4: Let’s Go To A Winery – Read a book from one of these “Wine” lists
Best Wine Books
Wine and Roses
Books To Read With a Glass of Wine and a Box of Kleenex
Words with Wine

REQUIRED: State list and page book is found on.

Option 5: Let’s Go Ride a Roller Coaster – Read a book with the main page genre Thriller. The genre can be standalone or embedded

Option 6: Let’s Go to the Mountains – Read a book that has the MPG Historical Fiction and is set in one of the states in the Appalachian Region. (Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia)
REQUIRED: Identify the state used and if the setting is not evident include a reference to establish how the book fits the task.


message 2: by Foxy Grandma (last edited May 28, 2020 06:44AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Option 1 and 2 Approved Books

Let’s Go to the Beach – Read a book set in a coastal or beach
Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #1) by Dorothea Benton Frank Lovewrecked by Karina Halle

Option 2: Let’s Go Camping (in a tent, RV’s don’t count) – Read a book with the letters “TENT” found intact in a single word in the Title/subtitle.


message 3: by Foxy Grandma (last edited May 21, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Option 3 and 4 Approved Books:

Option 3: Let’s go to the Theater/Pavillion – Read a book where the main character is either a musician, an actor or other person involved in the theater in some way
More Myself A Journey by Alicia Keys

Option 4: Let’s Go To A Winery – Read a book from one of these “Wine” lists


message 4: by Foxy Grandma (last edited May 22, 2020 01:20PM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Option 5 and 6 Approved Books

Option 5: Let’s Go Ride a Roller Coaster – Read a book with the main page genre Thriller.


Option 6: Let’s Go to the Mountains – Read a book that has the MPG Historical Fiction and is set in one of the states in the Appalachian Region.
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier World Enough and Time by Robert Penn Warren


message 5: by Foxy Grandma (last edited May 21, 2020 09:21AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Books Not Acceptable for Task
Option 1 Beach:

Option 2 Camping:

Option 3 Theater:

Option 4 Winery:

Option 5 Amusement Park:

Option 6 Mountains:


message 6: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4932 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2576 comments please can i have Cold Mountain approved for option & setting north carolina and virginia


message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Clarification for Option 3- any musician or a THEATER musician? I was going to read More Myself: A Journey by Alicia Keys


message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4092 comments Would this book (Sullivan's Island) work? It's setting is an island and the description says "And as Susan faces her uncertain future, she realizes that she must go back to her past. To the beachfront house where her sister welcomes her with open arms. To the only place she can truly call home."


message 10: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "please can i have Cold Mountain approved for option & setting north carolina and virginia"

Absolutely, that is a great book.


message 11: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "Would this book (Sullivan's Island) work? It's setting is an island and the description says "And as Susan faces her uncertain future, she realizes that she must go back to her past. T..."

Yes this works for Beaches. Sullivan's Island is a beach town


message 12: by Foxy Grandma (last edited May 21, 2020 09:20AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Nicole wrote: "Clarification for Option 3- any musician or a THEATER musician? I was going to read More Myself: A Journey by Alicia Keys"

If they are a touring musician who plays at Theaters (which she is) then yes it will work.


message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Clarification for Option 3- any musician or a THEATER musician? I was going to read More Myself: A Journey by Alicia Keys"

If they are a touring musician who plays a..."
Oh ok great- so she does qualify? Sorry for being ridiculous I just like to quadruple check because I DO NOT like learning later it is not qualified. LOL.


message 14: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Nicole wrote: "Foxy Grandma wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Clarification for Option 3- any musician or a THEATER musician? I was going to read More Myself: A Journey by Alicia Keys"

If they are a touring..."

Yes it is approved


message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4092 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would this book (Sullivan's Island) work? It's setting is an island and the description says "And as Susan faces her uncertain future, she realizes that she must go back to..."

Thanks.


message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2544 comments Can you O.K. World Enough and Time as "Historical Fiction"?

Thanks.


message 17: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Nick wrote: "Can you O.K. World Enough and Time as "Historical Fiction"?

Thanks."


Yes it does


Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments This might be a dumb question, but I just want to make 100% sure this book fits the task before trying to claim points for it.

For option 1, does the name of the beach/coastal town have to be clearly stated in the book? Lovewrecked takes place on a deserted island near Fiji. Will it work? 😬


message 19: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "This might be a dumb question, but I just want to make 100% sure this book fits the task before trying to claim points for it.

For option 1, does the name of the beach/coastal town have to be cle..."


It will work just make sure you show that in your reference.


Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Angie (Literary Labors) wrote: "This might be a dumb question, but I just want to make 100% sure this book fits the task before trying to claim points for it.

For option 1, does the name of the b..."


Ok. Thank you.


message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Would Forever and a Day by Jill Shalvis work as it takes place in Lucky Harbor, Washington? The series name (Lucky Harbor) is the only thing that really seems to tell that it is a coastal town and I didn't know if that was enough of a reference point. Thanks (either way!)


message 22: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Elaine wrote: "Would Forever and a Day by Jill Shalvis work as it takes place in Lucky Harbor, Washington? The series name (Lucky Harbor) is the only thing that really seems to tell..."

Sorry I thought I had replied to this earlier....

Unfortunately this book will not work because a Harbor can be on a lake or river, not only a beach/coastal town.


message 23: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1555 comments Would a script-writer intern works for Option 3?

Going Off Script


message 24: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Tien wrote: "Would a script-writer intern works for Option 3?

Unfortunately no because she is a script writer for TV not Theater.

Sorry, I hope you find somewhere else to put it because it sounds great.



message 25: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1555 comments Not to worry, I'm sure I can find a spot somewhere. Cheers!


message 26: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 356 comments Is Havana considered a beach town?


message 27: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Anja wrote: "Is Havana considered a beach town?"

Yes, Havana is a coastal town


message 28: by Iulia (new)

Iulia (iuliadt) | 144 comments Hi, is this book ok? Vaduvele de joi seara
It takes place in Buenos Aires (Argentina).
Thank you!


message 29: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Iulia wrote: "Hi, is this book ok? Vaduvele de joi seara
It takes place in Buenos Aires (Argentina).
Thank you!"


Yes that Works


message 30: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2400 comments The Jetsetters has 4 main characters, each having POV sections. One of the 4 is an actor (says in the blurb). Is that OK, even though she is one of 4 MCs??


message 31: by Iulia (new)

Iulia (iuliadt) | 144 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Iulia wrote: "Hi, is this book ok? Vaduvele de joi seara
It takes place in Buenos Aires (Argentina).
Thank you!"

Yes that Works"


Thank you!


message 32: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 394 comments Does this work for a beach town? Per the description, it's set on an island:

The Guest List


message 33: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Jen B wrote: "Does this work for a beach town? Per the description, it's set on an island:

The Guest List"


Yes, it works


message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Lys wrote: "Would Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Mirandawork for option 3?"

Of course, this is Beth's call, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is in no way a "character" in this, nor is it a story about him or about the theatre or about anything else. It's simply a nice little (very little) book of his daily affirmations - things like "wake up! It's a beautiful day!"

My son gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago, so of course I read it.


message 36: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) | 189 comments Sandy wrote: "Lys wrote: "Would Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Mirandawork for option 3?"

Of course, this is Beth's call, but Lin-Manuel Miranda ..."


Well, according to his intro, he is the main character/narrator. He is talking to the audience through his affirmations about experiences he is having in his day.

But I will use Without You instead.


message 37: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 963 comments Can I get a MPG of thriller locked in for Survivor In Death? There are a lot of genres listed and thriller is toward the bottom, so I'm worried it will fall off. :-)


message 38: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Brooke wrote: "Can I get a MPG of thriller locked in for Survivor In Death? There are a lot of genres listed and thriller is toward the bottom, so I'm worried it will fall off. :-)"

You got it.


message 39: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 963 comments Thank you!


message 40: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 06, 2020 09:15AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3766 comments Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION
Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1) by Deborah Woodworth

Also .. will this review qualify as proof of location in KENTUCKY? (Actually several reviews mention that it is set in Kentucky.)


message 41: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION
Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1) by Deborah Woodworth

Also .. will this review qualify as proof of location in KENTUCKY? (Actually several reviews mention that it is set i..."


Yes it is approved


message 42: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments Can I please get Elevation approved with MPG Thriller. Thanks!


message 44: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments For Option 3, would either A Demon for Midwinter or Demon on the Down-Low work? Both feature musicians, the latter for a currently touring rock band (specific concerts at venues are shown in the book), the former a semi-retired rock star in the vein of David Bowie or Mick Jagger.


message 45: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Whitnie wrote: "Can I please get Elevation approved with MPG Thriller. Thanks!"

It does not show MPG of Thriller


message 47: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Brooke wrote: "For Option 3, would either A Demon for Midwinter or Demon on the Down-Low work? Both feature musicians, the latter for a currently touring rock band (specific concer..."

Demon on the Downlow may work if you can find and post a reference to them playing at a theater type venue.

Demon for Midwinter will not work because he is no longer performing.


message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 955 comments Kathy KS

Please clarify whether this title qualifies for #3 ("other person involved in the theater in some way (set designers, costumers, etc.)")
Landline

from GR description: "She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. .." {talking about MC Georgie].


message 49: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathy wrote: "Kathy KS

Please clarify whether this title qualifies for #3 ("other person involved in the theater in some way (set designers, costumers, etc.)")
Landline

No this doesn't qualify, she would have to be a writer for theater not TV



message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 955 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Kathy KS

Please clarify whether this title qualifies for #3 ("other person involved in the theater in some way (set designers, costumers, etc.)")
Landline

No this do..."


Respectfully, how does this denial follow the instructions for #3 as shown above? (""Theater" includes movies and television , professional or amateur, and your book can be fiction or nonfiction.)


« previous 1
back to top