On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Now accepting nominations for July 2020 reads

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3968 comments Mod
Time to hunker down in the heat and find some new books. You may nominate one book in each category of pre-1980 and post-1980. Nominations to remain open for 5 days or until 6 nominations are received in play, whichever comes first.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

message 3: by John (last edited May 17, 2020 10:17AM) (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 144 comments Post 1980:

Mourning Dove by Claire Fullerton.

message 4: by Kathryn in FL (new)

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 58 comments Pre 1980 - The Invisible Man
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Post 1980 -The Road to Bittersweet
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 5: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 1079 comments Mod
Pre 1980:

The Tall Woman

It has been a long while since the group read this, and I have nominated it several times so I know there might not be an interest in reading it again. I will definitely be reading it this year--so thought I would give it one more try.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Post 1980 -
Holding on To Nothing by Elizabeth Chiles Shelburne

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Pre 1980 - Published in 1979 - Confederates by Thomas Keneally

message 8: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

message 9: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

message 10: by Judi (new)

Judi | 417 comments Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail 72 by Hunter S. Thompson for the pre 1980 July nomination. (written in 1973)

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns for the post 1980 July nomination.

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Things looking great so far, with 4 nominations in each category. Judi, I'm not going to accept Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail because it has no southern themes at all, neither subject matter, setting or author. I remember reading it many years ago and being shocked at what went on. Oh, how naive I was!

message 12: by Judi (new)

Judi | 417 comments With all due respect, Hunter S. Thompson was born in Louisville, Kentucky. I thought that perhaps the topic of the 72 presidential campaign which impacted ALL of the states would be relevant as we have a wee bit of a controversial presidential election (perhaps) coming up in November 2020. I cede to your directive. I assume that the "author" must have been born in a Southern State. That remains part of the criteria right??? Thank you. Kentucky is considered a Southern State?

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Brennan has sent in an email nomination for Country Dark by Chris Offut. We read this book as a group exactly 2 years ago, so since we have a no reread policy within 18 months, it works.

message 14: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

We need 1 more nomination for post-1980, and 2 more for pre-1980.

message 15: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 207 comments I'll throw out an idea here for post-1980:

Come Go Home with Me: Stories by Sheila Kay Adams by Sheila Kay Adams

I just loved her novel My Old True Love and would like to read this collection. Unless you think this one would be difficult to obtain, Diane?

message 16: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Come Go Home With Me is available on Kindle for $11.99 and for free on Hoopla, so that works. Duly nominated.

message 17: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

2 more nominations for pre-1980 still needed.

message 18: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I just received a nomination from Erika forIncidents in the Life of a Slave Girl for pre-1980. Thank you, Erika.

message 19: by Harry (new)

Harry Heitman | 9 comments How about The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had
for post 1980-- set in Alabama.

message 20: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Sorry Harry. We have received 6 nominations in the post 1980 category, so save that one for next month. Still looking for another pre though.

message 21: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited May 18, 2020 08:40PM) (new)

message 22: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I just received an email nomination from Josh for Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee. That was published in 1941, so that closes our July nominations. Thanks everyone.

message 23: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2554 comments Mod
I'll set up the poll tonight or tomorrow then.

message 24: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2554 comments Mod
First, the important news. Our chief moderator, Lawyer Mike is still in the hospital as of our last report but has been following our posts and commenting as recently as this week. We all wish him a speedy recovery and encourage him to keep in touch. The Trail is a lonelier place without him.

The polls are now closed and the selections for July have been chosen. The Post-1980 category ended in a tie between Country Dark, by Chris Offutt and Cold Sassy Tree, by Olive Ann Burns. I'm going to cast a tie-breaker and choose the book that has not been read by the group previously. Therefore, the winner in the Post-1980 category is Cold Sassy Tree. The winner in the Pre-1980 category is The Tall Woman, by Wilma Dykeman. Finally, for the Moderator’s Choice selection, I have accepted the recommendation of Trail member Sara and chosen A Cry of Angels, by Jeff Fields as the July Moderator's choice.

Also, the discussions boards are up and running for the June selections. They can be found here:

For Blackwood, by Michael Farris Smith . (Moderator’s Choice):
Initial Impressions: Blackwood, by Michael Farris Smith- June 2020
Final Impressions: Blackwood, by Michael Farris Smith- June 2020
In addition, Michael has agreed to join us for a Q&A. Be sure to welcome him and post any comments and questions you may have here: Author Q&A: Michael Farris Smith: June 2020

As we have previously read Absalom, Absalom!, by William Faulkner, (Pre-1980), we will continue using discussion boards from previous readings:
Discussion questions for "Absalom, Absalom!", by William Faulkner, June 2020
Final Impressions: Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner - June 2020

For An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones, (Post-1980):
Initial Impressions: An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones - June 2020

Final Impressions: An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones - June 2020

That's enough for now. Stay safe and happy reading!

Big Daddy Tom

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.