Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Summer Introduction, Tasks, and FAQs

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7023 comments Mod
Welcome to another round of Around the Year in 52 Books summer reading challenge.

Summer is perfect reading time for many of us. Maybe you’ll be spending a week lying on the beach with a good book to keep you company. Maybe a book will be entertaining you on a long flight to an exciting destination. Or maybe you’re planning to enjoy the sunny weather and longer days closer to home. Wherever and whatever you’re planning to read this summer, if you’d like a little extra challenge alongside AtY, and the chance to win a very exciting prize then read on!

Our summer challenge has twelve prompts in total, divided into four for each month of summer. For each prompt there is a choice of three tasks. Some are easy, some are more difficult - it’s your choice which you want to complete. You only need to complete one task per prompt to finish the challenge. You can choose to complete all twelve prompts, or if you prefer a shorter challenge you can just complete one month’s prompts.

The Prize!
For each month you complete you will earn one entry into a draw to be held at the end of the challenge. The winner of the draw will be invited to create one prompt to be included in the 2021 reading challenge.*

How to Join the Challenge
1. First check out the prompts and choice of tasks in post two of this thread.

2. Next, start a post in this folder where you will post your plan and track your progress through the challenge. You can also look at other people’s plans to get ideas for any tasks you’re finding tricky and ask for recommendations from other readers. This is not required, but it's a great way to plan out your books.

3. When you’ve completed all four prompts for one month, post the details in the completion thread. Once we’ve checked that the tasks are all completed in line with the rules we’ll confirm your entry to the draw.
*NOTE: You may earn a maximum of FOUR entries - one for each month completed, and one for completing the challenge all the way through again using different prompts from your first round.

4. After the challenge ends on 31 August we will have a draw to choose a winner. The mods will announce the winner soon after and they’ll be invited to create a prompt for the 2020 reading list.

What Books Can Be Counted?

Because there is a prize associated with our summer reading challenge (unlike with our other seasonal challenges), we have a few requirements for books to count:

1. Books must be at least 100 pages long, except for graphic novels which must be at least 200 pages long. For audiobooks, the printed version of the book should be at least 100 pages long.
2. Picture books or any other books where illustrations make up most of the book can’t be used.
3. You must read the whole of a book between 1 June and 31 August to count it for this challenge. Books started before June 1st must have at least 100 pages left before beginning on June 1st.

If you have any questions about the challenge then you can post them in this thread. The FAQs in post three below will also be updated as people ask questions so you might find your question has been answered there. If you’d like to check that a book will work for one of the tasks before you read it then you can ask here and we’ll confirm if it does.

Happy reading, and we hope you enjoy the challenge!

*Subject to the mods approval. For example the prompt can’t be the same or extremely similar to one already voted in and it must not be something that’s impossible for some readers to complete. Winner will be notified by September 15th, and they will have until September 25th to choose their prompt. If the winner is unresponsive to the message sent from the mods, there will be a redraw.

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jul 02, 2020 05:41PM) (new)

JUNE

1. Pride Month

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Pride Month is currently celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan. Today, celebrations include pride parades, picnics, parties, workshops, symposia and concerts, and LGBTQ Pride Month events attract millions of participants around the world. The purpose of the commemorative month is to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally.

a. Read a book with at least 5 different colors of the rainbow on the cover.
b. Read a book featuring an LGBTQIA+ protagonist (not side character).
c. Read a book that was nominated for or won the Lambda Award.

2. June Birthdays: Anne Frank

Annelies Marie "Anne" Frank was born on June 12, 1929 in Frankfurt, Germany. With the rise of WWII, Anne's family moved to Amsterdam when she was 4, and eventually went into hiding as the Nazis overtook the Netherlands. While in hiding, she wrote a series of diaries documenting her experience, which were eventually published by her father, the only survivor of WWII in the Frank family.

a. Read a book set during WWII.
b. Read a book that was published in sometime between 1900 and 1950.
c. Read The Diary of Anne Frank.

3. Father's Day

In 1972, Richard Nixon made Father's Day a national holiday in the United States, and it occurs on the third Sunday of June. While other countries choose to celebrate dads at different times of the year, many countries have adopted the third Sunday in June as their Father's Day as well.

a. Read a book that starts with a letter in FATHERS DAY.
b. Read a book that features someone's relationship with their father.
c. Read a book featured on one of these lists about fathers:
☀️11 Unforgettable Books about Fatherhood
☀️28 Books to Give Dad on Father's Day
☀️Top 10 Books about Fathers

4. Hit the Beach

For the northern hemisphere, the first day of summer is marked by the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. Many people use summertime as a chance to get some sunlight on the beach!

a. Read a book with a yellow or blue cover.
b. Read a book where someone goes to the beach.
c. Read a book found on this list of best beach reads.

JULY

1. Halfway There!

July 1st marks the halfway point of the year. And while it seems like 2020 has lasted 1700 years, we are only halfway to 2021.

a. Read a book with a page number that ends in 2.
b. Read a book that is divided into multiple parts (rather than, or in addition to, chapters).
c. Read a book that features twins.

2. July Birthdays: Pablo Neruda

Ricardo Eliécer Neftalí Reyes Basoalto (also known by his pen name, and later, his legal name of Pablo Neruda) was born on July 12, 1904 in Chile. At only 13, he published his first work of poetry. He went on to become a diplomat and poet, and he won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971, two years before his death.

a. Read a book set in South America.
b. Read a book published between 1904 and 1973.
c. Read a book written in verse (must still meet the 100 page requirement).

3. It's Winter Down South

While those of us in the northern hemisphere are enjoying the warm temperatures and the sunshine, our neighbors in the southern hemisphere are cozying up around the fire and drinking hot cocoa.

a. Read a book set in the southern hemisphere.
b. Read a book where the first letter of each title word can be found in the phrase LET IT SNOW. (Title must be at least two words long.)
c. Read a book found on TED's Winter Reading List.

4. Summer Reading

Summer means the best reading months for so many of us. New releases have bright and shiny colors, and the warm weather makes for great picnics and reading in the sun.

a. Read a happy book.
b. Read a book published in June, July, or August.
c. Read a book from one of the following lists:
☀️ A New Season of Reading
☀️ Authors Offer Summer Reading Recommendations
☀️ Goodreads Employees Share Their Summer Reading Plans

AUGUST

1. Read Good Books

Some of us like to overload our reading with multiple challenges, while others of us are content with just trying to finish ATY. Whatever your stance on challenges is, it's nice when you have a book that you can slot in anywhere.

a. Read a book by a favorite author.
b. Read the next book in a series you've already started.
c. Read a book published in 2020 that you've been looking forward to.

2. Back to School

Many students and teachers are heading back to the classrooms this month. Celebrate that back-to-school feeling with a bit of smart summer reading.

a. Read a book by an author that is new-to-you.
b. Read a YA book.
c. Read a book often tested on the AP Literature exam, as found on this list.

3. August Birthdays: Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury was born on August 22, 1920 in Illinois. Known most prominently for Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury was the author of many science fiction, horror, and fantasy novels and short stories. He is also well known in the film community and has an award named after him for achievement in screenwriting.

a. Read a book in which the initials author's name can be found in RAY BRADBURY.
b. Read a sci-fi or horror book.
c. Read a collection of short stories (must still meet the 100 page requirement).

4. Go for a Drive

With the warm air and a nice breeze, now is the perfect time to roll down your windows and go for a drive... whether it's to the beach, to the mountains, or to your best friend's house.

a. Read a book with a car on the cover.
b. Read a book that starts with a letter in the phrase WINDOWS DOWN, BREEZE BLOWING.
c. Read a book where a character visits multiple countries.

message 3: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited May 17, 2020 06:15AM) (new)

FAQs

Q: Can books overlap between the main Around the Year challenge and the summer challenge?
A: Yes, absolutely! Some of the tasks are designed to be easy for you to fit in books you’re planning to read for AtY.

Q: Can a book be used for more than one summer challenge prompt?
A: Each book can only be used for one prompt in the summer challenge.

Q: Do the tasks for each month need to be completed in that month?
A: No, you can complete them at anytime over summer. You’ll receive one entry to the draw for every month’s topics you complete by 31 August.

Q: Can books started before June 1 or in progress on 31 August be counted?
A: You may count a book started before the challenge begins as long as you read at least 100 pages of the book on or after 1 June. You must have completed a book by 31 August to count it.

Q: For a task requiring a title beginning with a particular letter, do A, An and The count?
A: You can choose whether or not to count them - eg if the title has to begin with a letter in WINDOWS DOWN, BREEZE BLOWING, you can use The Old Man and the Sea (which, ignoring the word The, starts with an O).

Q: For tasks that require the first letter of each word in the title to appear in a particular word, do A, An and The count?
A: Yes, all words in the title must be included for these tasks.

Q: Can the challenge be completed more than once?
A: You can complete the challenge twice, but you must use different tasks for the second attempt.
You will earn one draw entry for a second, full completion. That means the max is four entries for any member.

Q: For prompts concerning publication date, page numbers, or covers, how do you handle reprints/multiple editions?
A: We will use the edition you tag in your completion post. For example, this edition of Pride and Prejudice was published in June 1998, which would fulfill the prompt, but this version of Pride and Prejudice was published in October 2000, so it would not fulfill the prompt. If you are getting a book from the library and aren't sure which edition you will get, you can just use the default edition (meaning the first one that comes up when you search for the book). In this case, the October 2000 publication is the default edition, so Pride and Prejudice would not be used for this prompt (unless you read and tagged an alternative edition). We are using an honor system here, so please make sure you are tagging properly!

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Reserved

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

For prompts with specific publishing months, how are you handling re-prints? I'd like to read Those Who Hunt the Night for the prompt b. Read a book published in June, July, or August. It is listed as -Published June 13th 1990 by Del Rey (first published 1988). So originally published in 1988 with no month listed, but re-published in June, 1990. Would this be ok to use?

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited May 17, 2020 06:13AM) (new)

ZeeJane wrote: "For prompts with specific publishing months, how are you handling re-prints? I'd like to read Those Who Hunt the Night for the prompt b. Read a book published in June, July, or August..."

Yes, we will use whichever edition you tag in your completion post. So if you tag that edition of Those Who Hunt the Night, then we will assume that is the edition you read, and that is the publication month for that edition.

Alternatively, if you are getting a book from the library and aren't sure which edition you will get, you can just use the default edition (meaning the first one that comes up when you search for the book).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "For prompts with specific publishing months, how are you handling re-prints? I'd like to read Those Who Hunt the Night for the prompt b. Read a book published in June,..."

Thanks!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments The link for the AP List takes me to a webpage that says the site can't be reached. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not in the US, or if there is a different reason. Do you have links to another list we could use instead?

message 9: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "The link for the AP List takes me to a webpage that says the site can't be reached. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not in the US, or if there is a different reason. Do you have links to anothe..."

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm going to try to convert this to a google doc. Could you try opening all the other links and seeing if any others are equally troublesome?

message 10: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Try opening this version of the AP Lit List pdf:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GOsL...

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments Jackie wrote: "Hannah wrote: "The link for the AP List takes me to a webpage that says the site can't be reached. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not in the US, or if there is a different reason. Do you have ..."

Jackie, all of the other links are working.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments Jackie wrote: "Try opening this version of the AP Lit List pdf:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GOsL..."

Thank you, the google doc works!

message 13: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Perfect! Emily, if you could update the link in the challenge post, we should be good to go!

message 14: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Thanks, Jackie!

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

viemag, you can start a new thread for your plan for the summer (like we do with our 2020 ATY plans) in this folder, rather than placing your plan here! It will definitely get lost in the conversation if you keep it here.

message 16: by viemag (new)

viemag (smagelky) | 157 comments Emily wrote: "viemag, you can start a new thread for your plan for the summer (like we do with our 2020 ATY plans) in this folder, rather than placing your plan here! It will definitely get lost in the conversat..."

Thanks Emily for letting me know. I have deleted that post and put it in the correct folder. Sorry about that.

message 17: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

No problem! Just didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle!

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve | 507 comments Jackie wrote: "Perfect! Emily, if you could update the link in the challenge post, we should be good to go!"

I don’t know if this is a better list: https://sites.google.com/a/lvhs.org/m...

The one linked above only cites through 2008. This one seems to go through 2019.

message 19: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Oh, excellent Steve. Thanks!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather Joyner (hjoyner9) | 1 comments For a book where each word in the title begins with a letter from a phrase, can letters be used more than once? For instance, for Let It Snow, I'm wondering if I can use The End of October. The O only appears once, but I want to use it twice. Is this okay?

message 21: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2020 10:55AM) (new)

Heather wrote: "For a book where each word in the title begins with a letter from a phrase, can letters be used more than once? For instance, for Let It Snow, I'm wondering if I can use The End of October. The O o..."

No, the letters need to be in the word/phrase as many times as it is in the title. Sorry!

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Gesker | 22 comments June:
1. Pride Month
b. Read a book featuring an LGBTQIA+ protagonist (not side character)--The House on the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
2. June Birthdays: Anne Frank
a. Read a book set during WWII--Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon
3. Father's Day
a. Read a book that starts with a letter in FATHERS DAY--Strike Me Down by Mindy Mejia
4. Hit The Beach
c. Read a book found on this list of best beach reads--Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo

message 23: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Hey everybody! It has come to our attention that the beach reads book list for June Challenge 4 option c has changed. Apparently Oprah Magazine just randomly changed what books were on the list. I don't know why. It seems like a really weird thing to do, but there you go. The link has not changed, but here it is again: https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainmen...

If you are a pre-planner and had picked out a book off that list, please double-check that it is still there, or see if you can re-assign your book choice to a different spot.

message 24: by Irene (last edited Jun 23, 2020 05:38AM) (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments Hi, I have 3 quick questions! Apologies if they've been answered before somewhere - this is my first ever post in this group, aside from my summer challenge post!
(And feel free to let me know if I'm just overthinking everything!)

1. Do re-reads count for this challenge? If, say, I'm rereading one of my favorite books? Or is there a preference to use books we've never read before?

2. RE the blue or yellow book cover prompt: does it only count if that color covers more than 1/2 of the cover? What about books where blue or yellow is the focal point of the cover, but isn't the majority color? Or what if it's just the background color?

Random examples:
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge

3. Does the happy book prompt mean the book has a happy ending? Or that it made me, as the reader, feel happy? Or that it features generally happy characters?

Thank you in advance! I'm loving this challenge so far, but I'm definitely a purist when it comes to book prompts and dislike stretching them unless I have to! :)

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

1. Rereads definitely count!

2. I would say use your judgement here. You want it to be a majority blue OR yellow, not blue AND yellow, so I would say the first one doesn't really count because it's not majority one or the other, but the second cover would work since it's mostly yellow. In Cold Blood seems mostly white to me, but Murder on the Orient Express is definitely mostly blue. Guilded Ashes has too much white on the cover to count, I'd think. Feel free to post any others in here and we can help you out if you are unsure.

3. If it made you happy, then it would count. (I was specifically thinking of up-lit, where the book deals with heavier topics but in an optimistic way, and I would consider that happy, even if it's not humorous or light.)

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments Emily wrote: "1. Rereads definitely count!

2. I would say use your judgement here. You want it to be a majority blue OR yellow, not blue AND yellow, so I would say the first one doesn't really count because it'..."

Awesome, thank you for your thoughtful answers!! They're super helpful. I didn't even realize I was combining the blue AND yellow, and that I was focusing a bit too much on backgrounds.

Will definitely ask more questions when they come up. Thanks again!

message 27: by Irene (last edited Jun 24, 2020 01:40AM) (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments Thought of another question!

Above, it says that you guys will go by the edition of the book tagged in the completion post when it comes to publication dates.

I just tagged the version I read, but the original publication date was in 1968 (which would fulfill the prompt). I can't actually find an edition with that exact original publication date. Does it not count even though the writing inside the book was unchanged since the original publication?

To be more specific:

It's The Last Unicorn, used for July prompt 2b:
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The specific edition of the book I posted says, "Published January 1st 1991 by Ace (first published 1968)"

Do I have to find a physical copy of a book that has an edition published between 1904 and 1973? As I'm assuming ebooks are out since no edition was published that long ago.

(I understand the rules surrounding using the exact edition of a book we read/marked this when it comes to page number and book cover, but it seems a bit strict with regards to the publication date.)

message 28: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Irene, that's a great question specifically because I think the way we initially phrased it may lead many people to the exact confusion you are having.

When checking to see if a book's publication date qualifies, we will accept either the original publication date OR the specific edition you read. This mostly applies to classics. Like for example, if you decided to reread Pride and Prejudice and your edition was published in 1912, I would accept that if you linked to that edition. {You should probably point it out though or I might miss it}.

Most people are using books that were originally published in the time frame, but we wanted to have the option open because different people have different books available to them.

message 29: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I agree with Jackie.. we would take either the original or the one you tagged.

message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments Jackie wrote: "Irene, that's a great question specifically because I think the way we initially phrased it may lead many people to the exact confusion you are having.

When checking to see if a book's publicatio..."

Thank you both for your quick and thorough responses! I'll definitely point out the original publication date in my post just to make it more clear :)

message 31: by viemag (new)

viemag (smagelky) | 157 comments I have one more book to read in my June Challenge..it is July 1st...what is the latest i can enter it and still be counted as having completed June?

message 32: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

You can fulfill any of these prompts in any order, as long as they are complete by August 31st! So you're fine to read your June books and submit them in July or August.

message 33: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 301 comments Hi 👋
Is the Woodrow Wilson you’re talking about, the former president? Wasn’t he president just before FDR? How was he still alive to make Father’s Day possible? Do we mean inspired?

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Celeste wrote: "Hi 👋
Is the Woodrow Wilson you’re talking about, the former president? Wasn’t he president just before FDR? How was he still alive to make Father’s Day possible? Do we mean inspired?"

Haha thanks for pointing that out. Apparently Woodrow Wilson established Mother's Day 🤦🏻‍♀️. I've updated it to say Nixon instead of Wilson.

message 35: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Reminder! 1 week left in the challenge!

message 36: by Madelynp (new)

Madelynp | 5 comments Hi! Is the Fall 2020 reading challenge posted anywhere? Thank you!

message 37: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Not yet, but soon!

message 38: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I should have it up by the end of the day!

message 39: by Madelynp (new)

Madelynp | 5 comments Thank you!

message 40: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

REMINDER:

The Summer Reading Challenge ends today, but I will accept completed challenge entries through tomorrow (to account for time changes).

**Make sure to check the Summer Completed Challenges page to see if your entries have been added to the list. If not, look in the discussion to see if I left you a message about one of your books not working.