Start by marking “Gilded Ashes” as Want to Read:
Gilded Ashes

Gilded Ashes

(Cruel Beauty)

A romantic and fantastical reimagining of the classic Cinderella tale, Gilded Ashes is a novella by Rosamund Hodge set in the same world as the author's debut novel, Cruel Beauty.

Orphan Maia doesn't see the point of love when it only brings pain: Her dying mother made a bargain with the evil, all-powerful ruler of their world that anyone who hurt her beloved daughter would
Published April 1st 2014 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of Gilded Ashes
Debbie Narh
Dec 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: harpercollins
Damn, this author really likes bargains with evil people.
Cristina Monica
description

3.5 stars. This is a dark fairy tale retelling of Cinderella. The key word here is dark. It isn’t all enchanting and sparkly and heart-warming as the Disney version. But the fact that it’s closer to the original version makes it even more special and interesting. Never was I bored while reading it!

I can almost feel her fingers on my arms, ten separate little pressures holding me in place. I don’t often feel her touch this strongly. When I do, it’s usually a comfort—however bitter—because the
Rosamund Hodge
Nov 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2018, young-adult, fantasy
Sometimes you just. Gotta reread your own writings.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: full-lengths, 2018
This novella was unbelievably amazing. I didn't expect this from Rosamund Hodge because I was disappointed by her plots in the previous two books I read. The only things I loved about her in those books are her writing and imagination. It's so great. And this time plot was also great along with her writing style.

This novella is the retelling of Cinderella. I couldn't get how that tale could be mould into a book before reading this. But it proved me wrong. It seems if she wanted to write a
Vanessa J.
3.5 out of 5 stars

“Love is madness,” I say. “Doesn't everyone agree that you'd do anything, endure anything, to be with the ones you love? So either you’re willing to let them use you with any sort of cruelty, so long as they keep you—which makes you a fool—or you’re willing to commit any cruelty, so long as you get to keep them —which makes you a monster. Either way, it’s madness.”

The tale of Cinderella is perhaps the one I hate the most. It's just so... insta-love-ish for me. I can't stand
Norah Una Sumner
“There are a lot of things I want," I say quietly and deliberately. "But I think I will keep what I have.”

Is it weird that I like this book more than Cruel Beauty?
The characters are very interesting and the story is so twisted and surreal.But I loved it-it's both tragic and happy.The main character is very unique and I definitely liked her and her determination and loyalty to her family,no matter what.I actually liked her step-sisters and her relationship with them-they fight but th
B
Dec 26, 2013 added it
Shelves: wishlist
All I'm saying is that I'd probably kill for this.
Maria Kaye
2.5 stars. I was let down...

After having read Rosamund Hodge's other book Cruel Beauty -- which I loved and enjoyed, I felt nothing for Gilded Ashes.

It's a Cinderella retelling with a dark twist. Maia, her step mother and two step sisters all live in this manor where there are rumors of demons running around. Her mother's a ghost, she violently protects Maia. Whenever she cries, is yelled, or hurt no matter how small the damage is, the person is severely punished by her mother by either getting
Cillian
Hershey
What a dark, dark story this was!

Gilded Ashes was a very eerie, dark and a twisty retelling of Cinderella. I was completely taken with how wonderfully this dark story was executed. Retellings can become trite but this wasn't. It only became darker.

“Love is madness,” I say. “Doesn't everyone agree that you’d do anything, endure anything, to be with the ones you love? So either you’re willing to let them use you with any sort of cruelty, so long as they keep you—which makes you a fool—or you’re
Natalia
Well, Rosamund Hodge easily became one of my favorite authors.

Gilded Ashes is a story about love and sacrifice and reason, and how too much love can choke a person and make them just as unhappy as the absence of love.

«Ghosts are laid to rest when injustices are righted, when their duties are fulfilled. But my mother’s duty is to make me happy as long as I live. So there is no rest for her, and no escape for me. I will be happy and happy until it kills me.»

It is a story of truth and lies and
Haleema Hussain
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I loved this book!!! It is a very different story from other fairy tales and it grabs you from the start!!!
Hiba
This is one of the best and creepiest Cinderella retelling I've read.
Meret Magdi
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars (:
This was surprisingly very good..
I love dark re-tellings xD❤..
Eventhough things got a little messed up at the end, I liked it :')..
Elle (TheBookishActress)
I can't believe retellings can be this amazing and non-cliche?? This is an 80-page long Cinderella retelling, yet it manages to have more dimension and creativity than most retellings get in a few hundred. Man, I’m so glad I’ve picked up some Rosamund Hodge recently.

(source)

Rosamund Hodge’s talent for character arcs amazes me. Her characters are so distinct, with their own hopes and dreams. They're all so effortlessly relatable, even with different personalities than mine. I particularly liked
Tessa
Cinderella better be watching, because she's got nothing on this book.
description
Yeah, you and your glass slipper can go and turn into a pumpkin. I'm going to read this to my children instead. :)

What is this book about? An awesome retelling of Cinderella's story.
Just that....

Instead of a fairy good mother we have the ghost of her mother [she's haunting her XD]:
description
Her mother loved her so much that she swear to protect her little girl forever. But what happens when your love becomes a burden?

"My mother will nev
Maria
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVE Cinderella. It is my favorite fairytale!

I also realize that Cinderella is one of the WORST fairytales out there having a no-personality, moving-kindness woman marry the prince that she met for a couple of hours. Thus, I love checking out different Cinderella versions that make a bit more sense and this book is one of the nice surprises.

After reading Cruel Beauty and Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge, I had no doubts of reading this short story of hers. Set in the same world as Cruel Beauty,
Anja H.
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
*3 GENTLE STARS*

"Love is madness."

This book was one of the shortest I've ever read, but I liked it nonetheless. This one was a retelling of Cinderella, contrary to Cruel Beauty, the first book in this series, which was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
I liked Cruel Beauty a lot more though, just because it was longer and way more detailed. This felt a bit rushed sometimes, especially the ending because everything concluded in about 4 pages or something! Nonetheless, I enjoyed this and I'
Alaina
I love retelling books but Gilded Ashes was just alright.

Just like most re-tellings, it will feature a princess or prince that is pretty well known. Enter Cinderella. This is a bit darker than some of the ones I've originally read but not dark enough. I liked the little twists, turns, and darker touches though. Yet, my heart and soul are super dark and black and will rarely be satisfied.

It has definitely been a while since I've read a retelling book so I was a bit intrigued when I came across
Zainab
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed
Might or might not have read this for the cover only.
CatholicBibliophagist
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2014
If your mind inevitably links Cinderella with Disney, think again!

Ms. Hodge draws on older versions of a classic tale in this intense re-imagining of Cinderella in which the heroine's dead mother, rather than a fairy godmother, sends the heroine to the ball. But this story is set in the universe of Cruel Beauty. So . . . demons, magic, Victorian Britain, Graeco-Roman gods, and really bad bargains.

Also love: false love, twisted love, feigned love, true love and . . . .

Well, I can't say any more w
Maggie ☘
*3.5/5 stars*

Gilded Ashes is such a beautifully written short Cinderella re-telling with quite dark atmosphere and a creepy ghost. I like how Hodge's retellings are always so dark and twisted and not too similar to the original fairy tales. I enjoyed this novella very much, but I think this story would have worked out better, and I would've connected to it more, if it was a whole book rather
Stacie
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Cinderella retelling that features vengeful ghosts/demons.

What's not to like?
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Gilded Ashes: A Cruel Beauty Novella by Rosamund Hodge is a haunting, creepy and beautifully written take on the classic fairy tale of Cinderella.

Last summer (2013) I read the arc of Cruel Beauty and I was amazed by it. It turned out to be my favorite read of the year. So of course I couldn't wait to get this novella, which takes place in the same world and I'm so happy to be able to say that thid novella was just as amazing.

I won't talk too much about the story so I don't give too many spoiler
Varsha
Rosamund Hodge is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Gilded Ashes is just a novella and I actually liked it way more than her novel Cruel Beauty. And my one complaint about this novella? It ended :(
Dark River
I don't know what to rate this, so I won't. But I liked it ♡
Hionia
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
A Cindrella fairytale retelling in the gorgeous world of Cruel Beauty?
How was it?
description
Rosamund Hodge keeps amazing me! Her imagination has no limits...
description
Based on the two books I've read (Cruel Beauty & Gilded Ashes)Rosamund's work emphasizes on:
1)Betrayal of the loved ones and its consequences
2)Difficult and traumatic childhood
3)Broken, dysfunctional family relationships
4)Different personality traits, negative and positive => realism
5)Life difficulties and struggles (Life is not a fairytale)
6)Foolishne
Sheradyn
Jan 21, 2014 marked it as to-read
This is one of those times that time travel would come in handy. Just a quick jump to the future, nab this book, maybe check to see if Ryan Gosling is still hot, and come back and read this swoon-worthy novel all before you can say "pudding". Ahh, wouldn't that be nice.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
sooooo much better than cruel beauty that i don’t even want to associate it with that one, even when it’s set in the same universe
Vathna
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, 2017, fantasy
That was a very quick read. I didn't really enjoy it that much though. It was too short and the plot didn't really interest me.

• Of Glass and Glamour (Daughters of Eville Book 2)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Of Beast and Beauty (Daughters of Eville, #1)
  • Hunted
  • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Savage Beauty
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Tempt (Selfish Myths, #3)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Remember Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • More Than Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #2)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
Catholic. Writer. Lay Dominican. I write books about gods & death & girls with knives. Latest: ENDLESS WATER, STARLESS SKY.

Goodreads policies: I do read messages. I seldom friend people. I never comment on reviews of my own work.

Cruel Beauty (3 books)