Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Serial Reader Challenge > June '20 Serial Reader Challenge

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited May 14, 2020 02:04AM) (new)

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
JUNE '20 SERIAL READERS CHALLENGE

June is Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month

TO PARTICIPATE IN THE JUNE CHALLENGE:

♦Pick five series that you want to read.

♦It can be a new or an on-going series.

♦Post the name of the series and the covers of at least two books that you have not read.

♦There must be at least two unread books in the series. No re-reads allowed.

♦You may re-post a series chosen before as long as there are at least two unread books.

♦Post series now through May 20th.

♦Pairs will be posted on May 21st.

♦Select a series for your partner between May 21st and 24th...sooner is better

♦Next month, read two (or more) books from the series selected for you.

New to the challenge? The thread for challenge guidelines and questions is here

Comments on this thread will be limited to members posting series until the 21st. After pairs are selected, the thread is open for discussion.

Challenge participants are advised to have their GR account set to accept personal messages so the moderator can contact you.

message 2: by Nell (last edited May 22, 2020 07:34AM) (new)

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
Players:

🍇Michelle picks for Linda R
🍓Hilary picks for Helen
🍒Jennifer picks for Sharon
🍊Linda C picks for Jennifer
🥝Linda R picks for Susan
🍋Meg picks for Michelle
🍉Danielle picks for Linda C
🍑Susan picks for Meg
🍎Helen picks for Hilary
🍌Sharon picks for Danielle

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 223 comments My picks are....

A Museum Mystery by Shelia Connolly
3. Fire Engine Dead
4. Monument to the Dead

Dead Man Mystery by T. M. Simmons
2. Dead man Haunt
3. Dead Man Hand

Candy Coated Mystery by Nancy CoCo
4. All You Need is Fudge
6. Forever Fudge

A Do-It-Yourself Mystery by Jennie Bentley
5. Flipped Out
6. Wall to Wall Dead

A Bibliophile Mystery by Kate Carlisle
11 Once Upon a Spine
12. Buried in Books

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments My picks for June are

Aloha Lagoon by various
Bikinis & Bloodshed: A Kaley Kalua Aloha Lagoon Mystery, Death of the Kona Man

Ritter Ames Organizer series
Organized for S'more Death, Organized for Masked Motives

Vivien Chien's Noodle Shop series
Murder Lo Mein, Wonton Terror

Peggy Erhart's Knit and Nibble series
Silent Knit, Deadly Knit, A Fatal Yarn

Alexia Gordon's Gethsemane Brown series
Killing in C Sharp, Fatality in F

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments June picks!

Read 'Em and Eat by Terrie Farley Moran (ongoing)
Read to Death (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #3) by Terrie Farley Moran Caught Read-Handed (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #2) by Terrie Farley Moran

Food Lovers' Village by Leslie Budewitz (ongoing)
Butter Off Dead (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #3) by Leslie Budewitz Treble at the Jam Fest (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #4) by Leslie Budewitz

Vintage Magic by Annette Blair (new to me)
A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1) by Annette Blair Larceny And Lace (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #2) by Annette Blair

Torie O'Shea by Rett MacPherson (ongoing)
In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7) by Rett MacPherson Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8) by Rett MacPherson

Capitol Crimes by Margaret Truman (ongoing)
Murder Inside the Beltway (Capital Crimes, #24) by Margaret Truman Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25) by Donald Bain

message 6: by Meg (last edited May 14, 2020 11:42AM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Here we go for sunny June:

Tobi Tobias
30 Second Death (A Tobi Tobias Mystery #2) by Laura Bradford 30 Second Death
And Death Goes To . . . (A Tobi Tobias Mystery #3) by Laura Bradford And Death Goes To...

Charlie Parker
Weddings Can Be Murder (Charlie Parker #16) by Connie Shelton Weddings Can Be Murder
Alibis can be Murder (Charlie Parker #17) by Connie Shelton Alibis Can Be Murder

Blackbird Sisters (the end of a favorite mainstream series...)
A Little Night Murder A Blackbird Sisters Mystery (The Blackbird Sisters Mystery Series Book 10) by Nancy Martin A Little Night Murder
Bye, Bye Blackbird (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #10.5) by Nancy Martin Bye, Bye Blackbird

Janet Maple
Catching the Bad Guy (Janet Maple #2) by Marie Astor Catching the Bad Guy
Bad Guys Get Caught (Janet Maple #3) by Marie Astor Bad Guys Get Caught

Temptation in Florence
Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1) by Beate Boeker Delayed Death
Charmer's Death (Temptation in Florence #2) by Beate Boeker Charmer's Death

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 504 comments In for June:

Cajun Country
A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery #3) by Ellen Byron Body on the Bayou (Cajun Country Mystery, #2) by Ellen Byron Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4) by Ellen Byron Fatal Cajun Festival A Cajun Country Mystery by Ellen Byron

Death by Chocolate
Death by Chocolate Malted Milkshake (A Death by Chocolate Mystery #2) by Sarah Graves Death by Chocolate Frosted Doughnut (Death by Chocolate Mystery #3) by Sarah Graves

Morland
The Reckoning (Morland Dynasty, #15) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Campaigners (The Morland Dynasty, #14) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Abyss (The Morland Dynasty, #18) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Question (Morland Dynasty, #25) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Phoenix (The Morland Dynasty, #35) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Cause (The Morland Dynasty, #23) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Homecoming (The Morland Dynasty, #24) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Outcast (Morland Dynasty, #21) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Mirage (Morland Dynasty, #22) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Poison Tree (Morland Dynasty, #17) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Foreign Field (The Morland Dynasty, #31) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Hidden Shore (The Morland Dynasty, #19) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Fallen Kings (The Morland Dynasty, #32) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Devil's Horse (The Morland Dynasty, #16) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The White Road (Morland Dynasty, #28) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Restless Sea (The Morland Dynasty, #27) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Dancing Years (Morland Dynasty, #33) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Dream Kingdom (The Morland Dynasty, #26) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Winter Journey (Morland Dynasty, #20) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Measure of Days (Morland Dynasty, #30) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Burning Roses (The Morland Dynasty, #29) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Winding Road (The Morland Dynasty, #34) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Coffee Coven Caper
That Old Witch! (The Coffee Coven's Capers #1) by M.Z. Andrews That Broke Witch! (The Coffee Coven's Capers #4) by M.Z. Andrews Hazel Raises the Stakes (The Coffee Coven's Capers #2) by M.Z. Andrews

Books by the Bay
The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #3) by Ellery Adams Written in Stone (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #4) by Ellery Adams Poisoned Prose (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #5) by Ellery Adams Lethal Letters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #6) by Ellery Adams Killer Characters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #8) by Ellery Adams Writing All Wrongs (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #7) by Ellery Adams

message 8: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 263 comments I'm in

Forensic Handwriting Mysteries - Sheila Lowe
Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1) by Sheila Lowe #1 Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #2) by Sheila Lowe #2

Faith Fairchild Mysteries - Katherine Hall Page
The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild #1) by Katherine Hall Page #1 The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2) by Katherine Hall Page #2

Bellehaven House Mysteries - Rebecca Kent
High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1) by Rebecca Kent #1 Finished Off (Bellehaven House, #2) by Rebecca Kent #2

Do It Yourself Mysteries - Jennie Bentley
Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3) by Jennie Bentley #3 Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4) by Jennie Bentley #4

A Southern Ladies Mystery - Miranda James
Digging Up the Dirt (Southern Ladies Mystery, #3) by Miranda James #3 Fixing to Die (Southern Ladies Mystery, #4) by Miranda James #4

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (truebeliever831) | 99 comments June is my birthday month so I am picking some of my favorite series/some series I am looking forward to! (some of these were picked for this and I failed to complete them. ugh)

Witch City Mysteries
Murder Go Round (Witch City Mystery, #4) by Carol J. Perry Grave Errors (Witch City Mystery #5) by Carol J. Perry

WitchCraft Mysteries
Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5) by Heather Blake Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6) by Heather Blake

Haunted Vintage Mysteries
All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2) by Rose Pressey Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #3) by Rose Pressey Haunted Is Always in Fashion (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #4) by Rose Pressey

Witch's Cat Mysteries
A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery, #1) by Delia James By Familiar Means (Witch's Cat Mystery, #2) by Delia James Familiar Motives (Witch's Cat Mystery, #3) by Delia James

Magical Bookshop Mysteries
Prose and Cons (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #2) by Amanda Flower Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda Flower

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 161 comments Morning all.
They say the libraries may open this week so we can get some new series . My picks for June
Charles Lenox mysteries
The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3) by Charles Finch
The Book Retreat mysteries
Murder in the Secret Garden (Book Retreat Mysteries, #3) by Ellery Adams Murder in the Locked Library (Book Retreat Mysteries, #4) by Ellery Adams
Sebastin St. Cyr mysteries
What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5) by C.S. Harris Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6) by C.S. Harris
Flavia de Lancy mysteries
Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8) by Alan Bradley The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9) by Alan Bradley
Bess Crawford mysteries
An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford, #6) by Charles Todd A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7) by Charles Todd

message 11: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 579 comments I’m in again. I’ll have a couple of long weekends in June, so hopefully more time for reading.

Mary Daheim Emma Lord.

The Alpine Journey (Emma Lord, #10) by Mary Daheim The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord, #11) by Mary Daheim

Veronica Black Sister Joan.

A Vow of Penance (Sister Joan Mystery, #5) by Veronica Black A Vow of Devotion (Sister Joan Mystery, #6) by Veronica Black

Donna Leon Commissario Brunetti.

The Girl of His Dreams (Commissario Brunetti, #17) by Donna Leon A Question of Belief (Commissario Brunetti, #19) by Donna Leon

Diana Xarissa Isle of Man mysteries.

Aunt Bessie Considers (Isle of Man #3) by Diana Xarissa Aunt Bessie Enjoys (Isle of Man #5) by Diana Xarissa

Edie Claire Leigh Koslow mysteries.

Never Mess with Mistletoe (Leigh Koslow Mystery #10) by Edie Claire Never Murder a Birder (Leigh Koslow Mystery #11) by Edie Claire

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bo (sharonlpb) | 234 comments Time is running out and I may not get this posted on time, but I'll try.

Ongoing:
Barbara Ross -- Main Clambake
Jacqueline Winspear -- Maisie Dobbs
M.C. Beaton -- Agatha Raisin
Julia Buckley -- Writer's Apprentice
Jenn McKinlay -- Library Lovers

message 13: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2661 comments Mod
Welcome to the June challenge. Pairs are posted in msg 2. Please pick a series for your partner.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 223 comments Linda R I pick the Knit and Nibbles series. Let me know how you like it because I’ve been eyeing that series for some time! Happy Reading!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 504 comments Sharon wrote: "Time is running out and I may not get this posted on time, but I'll try.

Ongoing:
Julia Buckley -- Wr..."

Sharon, I'm picking Writer's Apprentice for you. I read the first one last year and really liked it. I hope you enjoy!

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments Susan wrote: "Morning all.
They say the libraries may open this week so we can get some new series . My picks for June
Charles Lenox mysteries
The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch[bookcover:The Fleet Street..."

Hi Susan,

I haven't read any of your series but I have read other things by Ellery Adams so I am going with her book retreat series for you. Happy Reading!

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments Michelle wrote: "Linda R I pick the Knit and Nibbles series. Let me know how you like it because I’ve been eyeing that series for some time! Happy Reading!"

Thanks for the pick Michelle. While Knit and Nibbles sounds like something I would enjoy it's not actually one of the series I had listed. Did you mean read 'em and eat?

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 223 comments Sorry Linda, I’m bad, I was looking at the list above your name. Yes let’s do Read’em and Eat. Again I’m sorry!

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments Michelle wrote: "Sorry Linda, I’m bad, I was looking at the list above your name. Yes let’s do Read’em and Eat. Again I’m sorry!"

Not a problem. It does sound like a good series, I just don't have any of the books. Thanks for the pick!

message 20: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 263 comments Jennifer,
I pick for you:

Death by Chocolate
Death by Chocolate Malted Milkshake (A Death by Chocolate Mystery #2) by Sarah Graves Death by Chocolate Frosted Doughnut (Death by Chocolate Mystery #3) by Sarah Graves

I loved her Home Repair series. Interested in hearing how you like this one.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Helen wrote: "I’m in again. I’ll have a couple of long weekends in June, so hopefully more time for reading.

Mary Daheim Emma Lord.

The Alpine Journey (Emma Lord, #10) by Mary Daheim [bookcover:The Alpine Ki..."

I have heard good things about the Brunetti series Helen, so those are my pick for you! (virtual trip to Italy?)

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 504 comments Linda C wrote: "Jennifer,
I pick for you:

Death by Chocolate
Death by Chocolate Malted Milkshake (A Death by Chocolate Mystery #2) by Sarah Graves Death by Chocolate Frosted Doughnut (Death by Chocolate Mystery #..."

Excellent pick -- i'll keep you posted.

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Michelle wrote: "My picks are....

A Museum Mystery by Shelia Connolly
3. Fire Engine Dead
4. Monument to the Dead"

Hello, Michelle: I'm picking the Museum Mystery series for you, in honor of Shella Connolly!

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 223 comments Thank you Meg it is a good series and ongoing for me! Happy Reading to you!

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (truebeliever831) | 99 comments Hi Linda C! I am going to pick the Do It Yourself Mysteries for you. Hope you enjoy!

message 26: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 263 comments Thanks, Danielle,
It's time to get back to that series.

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bo (sharonlpb) | 234 comments Danielle wrote: "June is my birthday month so I am picking some of my favorite series/some series I am looking forward to! (some of these were picked for this and I failed to complete them. ugh)

Witch City Myster..."

I hope you have a wonderful birthday in June. And I hope you enjoy a couple of Magical Bookshop Mysteries. I love bookstore mysteries in general, and this isn't a series I've tried yet. Let me know how you like them.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bo (sharonlpb) | 234 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Time is running out and I may not get this posted on time, but I'll try.

Ongoing:
Juli..."

Thanks, Jennifer. I just finished the first one recently and decided I wanted to read more. I'm looking forward to it!

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 161 comments Linda wrote: "Susan wrote: "Morning all.
Charles Lenox mysteries
The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch[bookcover:Th..."

Thanks Linda
I can download these on audio and listen to them in this beautiful weather we are having.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 161 comments Meg wrote: "Here we go for sunny June:

Tobi Tobias
30 Second Death (A Tobi Tobias Mystery #2) by Laura Bradford30 Second Death
And Death Goes To . . . (A Tobi Tobias Mystery #3) by Laura BradfordAnd Death Goes To...
Morning Meg,
I have chosen the series in Florence for you. I think I will check them out. Enjoy that beautiful sun. Be well and stay safe.

Charlie..."

Linda wrote: "Susan wrote: "Morning all.
Charles Lenox mysteries
The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch[bookcover:Th..."

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 579 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "My picks for June are

Aloha Lagoon by various

Ritter Ames Organizer series
[book:Org..."

Hi Hilary. I’m torn between craft and music, but I think I’ll pick Gethsemane Brown for you this month.

message 32: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 579 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "Helen wrote: "I’m in again. I’ll have a couple of long weekends in June, so hopefully more time for reading.

Mary Daheim Emma Lord.

The Alpine Journey (Emma Lord, #10) by Mary Daheim [bookcover..."

Thank you Hilary. It will be good to go on a virtual trip to Venice.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Helen wrote: "Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "My picks for June are

Aloha Lagoon by various
..."

Thank you Helen, it will be good to catch up with Gethsemane again :D

message 34: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Thanks, Susan! I somehow stumbled across this series while cruising on Amazon and was excited to find a cozy set in Italy. I had the first one on my tbr for June already so this is perfect.

message 35: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (truebeliever831) | 99 comments @Sharon Bo thank you.😊 I am looking forward to this series. =)

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments Finished my first, Caught Read-Handed. It was a lot of fun and I got a good chuckle about the cornhole party and that the MC had no idea what that was.

message 37: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 12, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 504 comments @ Linda --I finished my two books from the Death by Chocolate series and enjoyed both. I need to start reading her earlier series -- this one starts so far along in the lives of the two main characters that I suspect part of their story is alluded to in the earlier books! Iike the friendship between the two main characters and also their good relationship with the local constabulary -- so often that's contentious that this was refreshing. PS don't have any chocolate around when you read these unless you want to eat all of it at one sitting!

message 38: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 263 comments Jennifer wrote: "@ Linda --I finished my two books from the Death by Chocolate series and enjoyed both. I need to start reading her earlier series -- this one starts so far along in the lives of the two main charac..."

Great to hear this. I have read the first 7 of 16 in the first series. There is a lot of backstory before the Death by Chocolate series. I really enjoy them. I even visited Eastport a few years ago when we were vacationing in Maine. Gave a great perspective on the town layout.

message 39: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 579 comments Finished my first for this month. The Girl of His Dreams (Commissario Brunetti, #17) by Donna Leon . Quite a short book for this series, and great as an audiobook.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 428 comments I got to finish a series in June and will be starting one with my serial read in July. If you haven't checked out the Read 'Em and Eat series by Terrie Farley Moran I highly recommend them. The books are fun, the beach town setting makes me feel like I'm on vacation and I'd love to eat at their restaurant and maybe join a book club. I really enjoyed Read to Death.

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen (helennn) | 579 comments I’ve finished my second, Blood from a Stone (Commissario Brunetti, #14) by Donna Leon . I am “reading” this series as audiobooks, usually on long road trips, so this one was delayed when I had to cancel a work trip due to a cold, meaning a week off work and a Covid test. Fortunately, the test was negative.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Eeep finally finished my 1st for June!!! Killing in C Sharp by Alexia Gordon Killing in C Sharp (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #3) by Alexia Gordon

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 897 comments Phew now all caught up with Gethsemene Brown having finished Fatality in F Fatality in F (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #4) by Alexia Gordon and Execution in E Execution in E (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #5) by Alexia Gordon both by Alexia Gordon. Thank you Helen for the pick!