PenPal Readers discussion

O.W.Ls - Wizarding Challenge > O.W.L's Wizarding - Spring 2020

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 19, 2020 05:22AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments

BookRoast's O.W.L's challenge for Spring 2020 was announced (back in March!!!), so this is a late post, but it's always a fun challenge, so I'm posting here now for any members interested to participate - let's say over May, June, July. (followed by N.E.W.T's starting in August)

Spring 2020 O.W.Ls Exams ( Bookroast Video Link, Twitter: @Magical Readathn , hashtag: #OWLsReadathon2020 )

Set your goals, and track your progress in the thread below.

🦉🦉🦉🦉 🦉🦉🦉🦉

O.W.L Challenge (Ordinary Wizarding Levels) – 12 exams

🦉🦉🦉🦉 🦉🦉🦉🦉

💎 ANCIENT RUNES: Heart Rune: 💖 on the cover or in the title

🔢 ARITHMANCY: Magical qualities of 2️⃣: balance/opposites - a cover with opposites on it (ie. boy/girl, tall/short, winter/summer, day/night, good/evil etc.). [OR read something outside your favorite genre. ]

ASTRONOMY: Night Classes: a cover with night sky (moon, stars, etc) on it. [OR read majority of the book when it's dark outside. ]

🐉 CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES: Hippogriffs: creature with a beak on the cover.

CHARMS: Lumos Maxima: white cover

😈 DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS: Grindylows: book set at the sea/coast.

🔮 DIVINATION: Third Eye: read the 3rd book on your TBR (from top or bottom) [or use random number generator to choose your read]

🌿 HERBOLOGY: Mimbulus mimbletonia: title starts with an M

🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: Witch Hunts: book featuring witches/wizards

🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Author has same first/last initials (ie Rick Riordan, Marissa Meyer, Rainbow Rowell) .[or Read a book from the contemporary genre]

⚗️ POTIONS: Shrinking Solution: book under 150 pages

📕 TRANSFIGURATION: Animagus lecture: book/series that includes shapeshifting

(Note: for a few tasks that were a bit generic, I modified the task/added more specificity)

message 2: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 25, 2020 04:35PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Anne's O.W.L's - Progress: 5/12

💎 ANCIENT RUNES: cover with heart on it

🔢 ARITHMANCY: - a cover with opposites on it

✔ ⭐ ASTRONOMY: a cover with night sky
Anansi Boys

✔🐉 CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES: cover with creature with a beak on it
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

⏳ CHARMS: white cover
Pelosi

✔😈 DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS: book set at the sea/coast.
The Split (partly set in Antartica - Georgian Islands)

🔮 DIVINATION: 3rd book on your TBR (from top or bottom)
The Spirit Thief

🌿 HERBOLOGY: title starts with an M

✔🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: book featuring witches/wizards
Who Fears Death
- there was a sorcerer named Aro

🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Author has same first/last initials

The Red Notebook (159 pgs)

✔📕 TRANSFIGURATION: book includes shapeshifting
Nothing to See Here (two kids that would burst into flames when anxious)

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins The Split by Sharon J. Bolton Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson Who Fears Death (Who Fears Death, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor

message 3: by Tiina (last edited Jul 30, 2020 08:22PM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Always a fun challenge, so I'm in!

🦉🦉🦉🦉 🦉🦉🦉🦉

🔢 ARITHMANCY: Magical qualities of 2️⃣: balance/opposites - a cover with opposites on it (ie. boy/girl, tall/short, winter/summer, day/night, good/evil etc.). [OR read something outside your favorite genre. ] Vanalinna detektiivid: Mustpeade maalid

⭐ ASTRONOMY: Night Classes: a cover with night sky (moon, stars, etc) on it. [OR read majority of the book when it's dark outside. ] Hidden Figures (stars, planets, asteroids on cover plus read at night)

🐉 CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES: Hippogriffs: creature with a beak on the cover. O Alquimista

CHARMS: Lumos Maxima: white cover Mochiko: A Beautiful Mind

🔮 DIVINATION: Third Eye: read the 3rd book on your TBR (from top or bottom) [or use random number generator to choose your read] The Flying Machine Book: Build and Launch 35 Rockets, Gliders, Helicopters, Boomerangs, and More

🌿 HERBOLOGY: Mimbulus mimbletonia: title starts with an M Minu Rio de Janeiro. Elujanus olümpialinn

🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: Witch Hunts: book featuring witches/wizards Haldjate veri

🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Author has same first/last initials (ie Rick Riordan, Marissa Meyer, Rainbow Rowell) .[or Read a book from the contemporary genre] Põnevad lood vanast Tallinnast

⚗️ POTIONS: Shrinking Solution: book under 150 pages かぜのでんわ

📕 TRANSFIGURATION: Animagus lecture: book/series that includes shapeshifting Domineeriv värv: Tumepunane

Vanalinna detektiivid Mustpeade maalid by Reeli Reinaus Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly O Alquimista by Paulo Coelho Mochiko A Beautiful Mind by Hiroko Kuwada The Flying Machine Book Build and Launch 35 Rockets, Gliders, Helicopters, Boomerangs, and More (Science in Motion) by Bobby Mercer Minu Rio de Janeiro. Elujanus olümpialinn (Minu..., #92) by Malle Koido Haldjate veri by Andrzej Sapkowski Põnevad lood vanast Tallinnast by Jaak Juske かぜのでんわ by Yoko Imoto Domineeriv värv Tumepunane by Koidu Ferreira

message 4: by Charlotte (last edited Aug 25, 2020 06:34AM) (new)

Charlotte (timetoremember) | 9 comments Count me in too! I've always wanted to take part but never had the courage, so here goes.

🦉🦉🦉🦉 🦉🦉🦉🦉

Progress: 12/12

✔️💎 ANCIENT RUNES: Heart Rune: 💖 on the cover or in the title: The Pure Heart by Trudi Tweedie

✔️🔢 ARITHMANCY: Read something outside your favorite genre: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

✔️⭐ ASTRONOMY: Night Classes: Read majority of the book when it's dark outside: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

✔️🐉 CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES: Hippogriffs: creature with a beak on the cover: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

✔️⏳ CHARMS: Lumos Maxima: White cover: The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale

✔️😈 DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS: Grindylows: The Good Hawk by Joseph Elliott

✔️🔮 DIVINATION: Third Eye: read the 3rd book on your TBR (from top or bottom): Bolt by Dick Francis

✔️🌿 HERBOLOGY: Mimbulus mimbletonia: title starts with an M: Mort by Terry Pratchett

✔️🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: Witch Hunts: book featuring witches/wizards: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson

✔️🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Contemporary genre: The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley

✔️⚗️ POTIONS: Shrinking Solution: book under 150 pages: On a Bed of Flag Leaves by Steve Toase

✔️📕 TRANSFIGURATION: Animagus lecture: book/series that includes shapeshifting: Norse Myths: Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki by Kevin-Crossley Holland

message 5: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 19, 2020 05:16AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Charlotte wrote: "Count me in too! I've always wanted to take part but never had the courage, so here goes.

So happy you're joining us Charlotte - this one's a lot of fun, and you can choose to read however many tasks works for you!!

We can use this thread to chat about the books we're reading for the challenge too!

message 6: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 19, 2020 05:18AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Tiina wrote: "Always a fun challenge, so I'm in!

Yay, Tiina, and you've read 2 already? that's great! I need to get busy gophering for books to assign to the tasks! That's always a fun part of the challenge for me!

message 7: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Anne ✨ wrote: "Tiina wrote: "Always a fun challenge, so I'm in!

Yay, Tiina, and you've read 2 already? that's great! I need to get busy gophering for books to assign to the tasks! That's always a fun part of th..."

I have way too much reading time at my hands! I'm trying to read through the books I borrowed from the library and hopefully some more fit the challenge!

message 8: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 4 comments 💎 ANCIENT RUNES: Heart Rune: 💖 on the cover or in the title
Prince in Disguise
🔢 ARITHMANCY: Magical qualities of 2️⃣: balance/opposites - a cover with opposites on it (ie. boy/girl, tall/short, winter/summer, day/night, good/evil etc.). [OR read something outside your favorite genre. ]
I Hate You More -boy/girl
⭐ ASTRONOMY: Night Classes: a cover with night sky (moon, stars, etc) on it. [OR read majority of the book when it's dark outside. ] Starry Eyes

??? HELP
⏳ CHARMS: Lumos Maxima: white cover Everything, Everything

Along for the Ride
🔮 DIVINATION: Third Eye: read the 3rd book on your TBR (from top or bottom) [or use random number generator to choose your read]
85-Well Met
My Life Next Door check!
🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: Witch Hunts: book featuring witches/wizards
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Author has same first/last initials (ie Rick Riordan, Marissa Meyer, Rainbow Rowell) .[or Read a book from the contemporary genre]
Cinder
Ruby the Red Fairy by Daisy Meadows (XD)

📕 TRANSFIGURATION: Animagus lecture: book/series that includes shapeshifting ???

message 9: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 25, 2020 05:56PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Becca da wrote: "💎 ANCIENT RUNES: Heart Rune: 💖 on the cover or in the title
Prince in Disguise
🔢 ARITHMANCY: Magical qualities of 2️⃣: balance/opposites - a cover with opposites on it (ie. boy/girl..."

Nice list of books you found for your tasks, Becca da

for care of magical creatures... have you read The Raven Boys? I enjoyed that series.
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

I saw some posts on Instagram for:
Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

and there's the new hunger games book out:
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins

message 10: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 4 comments No, I haven’t, thanks!

message 11: by Nurul (last edited Jul 08, 2020 07:17AM) (new)

Nurul Chairunnisa (nhcnisa) | 8 comments Hello, Anne. Can I do the O.W.L start from this June? If yes, I'd like to join! 😃 And here it is!

Nurul's O.W.L (7/12)

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

🔢 ARITHMANCY: Magical qualities of 2️⃣: balance/opposites - a cover with opposites on it (ie. boy/girl, tall/short, winter/summer, day/night, good/evil etc.). [OR read something outside your favorite genre. ] ✔️ The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan - the cover basically sum up the plot; when darkness fell upon New York, the evil night rooting for the enemy, all hope wasn't lost and daylight began to shine one final time for the last olympian.

⭐ ASTRONOMY: Night Classes: a cover with night sky (moon, stars, etc) on it. [OR read majority of the book when it's dark outside. ] ✔️ The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan - read it every night for 2 days straight.

⏳ CHARMS: Lumos Maxima: white cover

😈 DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS: Grindylows: book set at the sea/coast. ✔️ The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

🧙‍♂️ HISTORY OF MAGIC: Witch Hunts: book featuring witches/wizards ✔️ The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

🧑🏼 MUGGLE STUDIES: Author has same first/last initials (ie Rick Riordan, Marissa Meyer, Rainbow Rowell) ✔️ Rick Riordan with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

⚗️ POTIONS: Shrinking Solution: book under 150 pages ✔️ The She Book by Tanya Markul - 144 pages

📕 TRANSFIGURATION: Animagus lecture: book/series that includes shapeshifting ✔️ The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan - the Olympians did shapeshifting all the time.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) by L. Frank Baum The She Book by Tanya Markul Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan

message 12: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Nurul wrote: "Hello, Anne. Can I do the O.W.L start from this June? If yes, I'd like to join! 😃"

You're more than welcome to join us, Nurul! I'm sure Anne has no objections :)

message 13: by Nurul (new)

Nurul Chairunnisa (nhcnisa) | 8 comments Tiina wrote: "Nurul wrote: "Hello, Anne. Can I do the O.W.L start from this June? If yes, I'd like to join! 😃"

You're more than welcome to join us, Nurul! I'm sure Anne has no objections :)"

Awesome! Thank you so much, Tiina! 😆 I will start right away and do updates as I go.

message 14: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Nurul wrote: "Tiina wrote: "Nurul wrote: "Hello, Anne. Can I do the O.W.L start from this June? If yes, I'd like to join! 😃"

You're more than welcome to join us, Nurul! I'm sure Anne has no objections :)"

Awes..."

That's great you're joining us Nurul :) And this challenge can stay open and running as long as anyone needs to finish their goal! So, don't feel rushed...

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (timetoremember) | 9 comments The Bear and the Nightingale was my pick for Care of Magical Creatures, and it was such a great read! Packed full of ancient folklore - in some cultures, fae, in the context of the novel, household spirits and the like - it's a great fantasy novel with a fascinating heroine at center stage. Would definitely recommend!

message 16: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Charlotte wrote: "The Bear and the Nightingale was my pick for Care of Magical Creatures, and it was such a great read! Packed full of ancient folklore - in some cultures, fae, in the context of the ..."

Great choice, I LOVED that whole series!! I want to read them all again!

message 17: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments The N.E.W.T challenge starts Aug. 1 at this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

You can of course keep working on this challenge as well! And you can count the same book for a task in this O.W.L and then a task in the N.E.W.T challenge, if it fits!