Start by marking “Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)

Mort (Discworld #4)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  140,424 Ratings  ·  3,028 Reviews
Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory. As Death
Mass Market Paperback, 243 pages
Published February 6th 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Mort, please sign up.

Josh Groft I avoided the Discworld books for a long time for fear of getting lost (I was once an avid reader of George R.R. Martin and Robert Jordan). Discworld…moreI avoided the Discworld books for a long time for fear of getting lost (I was once an avid reader of George R.R. Martin and Robert Jordan). Discworld isn't like that. Mort is a fine starting point. I believe I started much later in the series (whatever was available from the library at the moment) and read others out of order before reading Mort. There are recurring characters, and Pratchett makes nods to previous events, but you aren't likely to get lost for having not read the earlier books.(less)

Lyn
Sep 13, 2014 Lyn rated it really liked it
I have a new best friend. Literarily speaking.

It’s as though I met Terry Pratchett at a party and we hit it off immediately. You like Monty Python, I LOVE Monty Python! Seinfeld, WHAT???, I’ve seen them all “Art Vandelay, nice to meet you.” No way! What about The Big Lebowsky? “How’s the smut business, Jackie?” To which he replied, “I wouldn’t know, Dude.”

Ha!

And so it is with me reading my first Discworld novel, in this case Mort (#4 on the list). Discworld is Terry Pratchett’s hilarious fantasy
Matthias
Oct 23, 2015 Matthias rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This isn't an easy review to write. This has been my first encounter with the Discworld universe and the many writings of Terry Pratchett, and voicing my opinion on it makes me feel like a blundering fool stumbling into a world that was meant for his younger and perhaps wiser self, a world of which he has only caught a glimpse.

Let's start with kicking in an open door. 'Boy', uh, sorry, 'Mort' is a very funny novel. Death, being a wonderfully serious topic, becomes a great source of laughter and
Pavle
Feb 23, 2017 Pavle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
Bez iznenadjenja: čitati Pračeta po prvi put je nalik na upoznavanje starog, dragog prijatelja. Prijateljstvo je već tu, veliko je i puno obećava, samo eto, igrom slučaja nijedan ni drugi niste o tome bili obavešteni.

p.s. izdanje koje imam je toliko divno da je teško gledati ga bez lekova za smirenje.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Death is looking for an apprentice to eventually replace him and decides on a young man called Mort. During the course of his training Mort takes a fancy to a young lady. Unfortunately the young lady’s time is up. So that’s that. Or is it? You see, Mort is not so good at following rules…

This is the only Terry Pratchett book I have read so far and it was delightfully whimsical. Sign me up for more please.

YOU ARE HERE SEEKING EMPLOYMENT?
Light dawned on Mort. “You are looking for an apprentice?” he
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.”

With those simple words Terry Pratchett introduces the complicated fact that on The Disc Death is as much a person as anyone else, only more so.

The fourth Discworld novel is right up there with my favourites, the story of how Death came to take an apprentice and how one gangly, awkward young boy became a strong, confident man is filled with humour and tells the kind of coming of age tale other authors only dream of.

It may not be the best writt
Jokoloyo
Apr 26, 2015 Jokoloyo rated it liked it
I "made a mistake" in my life by reading later works of Discworld (DW) first. By the time I read earliest Discworld stories, the universe feels not fully developed.

Mort is the fourth DW novel, and I see the DW universe, the jokes, and the characters are better developed than the 3 earlier novels (but still not as sophisticated as DW later works). But, there are some good moments: the awkwardness of young people in this novel, and the Death's learning of life.

People including Mort as the first i
Mangrii
Mar 19, 2016 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un joven soñador y bastante despistado Mortimer pero más conocido como Mort, pertenece a una familia de agricultores, pero él no tiene ningún talento para ello. Su padre y hermano deciden buscarle un oficio durante la feria de contratación del Cerro de las Ovejas, donde no será hasta el último momento en que su suerte cambie de lado y la figura cadavérica y encapuchada conocida como la Muerte le ofrezca ser su aprendiz. Tras unas cuantas lecciones y unos cuantos errores más, la Muerte termina de ...more
Forrest
Nov 12, 2012 Forrest rated it liked it
In a previous review of Pratchett's The Color of Magic, I speculated that I might have become jaded since high school. I noted that I enjoyed that book, but it was not as hilarious as I had remembered it, initially. There will be no such danger with Mort, meaning, I probably won't be re-reading it. Again, this one was funny, but not hilarious, and more cutesy than clever.

Still, it has its moments, the best of which, I thought, was the interchange between the Sun Emperor and his Grand Vizier, a g
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the Discworld series as different from Equal Rites as that book was from the first two.

Full Review
I never expected to marathon the discworld books, but this now makes the third in a row I've read.

This book is the first of the Death books. Death plays a much larger role than he has in the previous books, but for the most part it focuses on his apprentice, Mort.

I found it started a bit slow, and I was pretty indifferent towards Mort. He grew on me by the
Emer
So I've decided to dip my toes back into the waters of the utterly bonkers but always hilarious Discworld Series by the late, great Terry Pratchett. I've only read odd books here and there, and certainly have never read the books in order. Honestly I don't have that sort of patience. So instead I prefer to flit in and out focusing more on the books featuring my favourite characters. I tend to find the plots, and even the characters at times, just superfluous to the reading experience! For me it' ...more
Allison
May 06, 2015 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
So Terry Pratchett is definitely witty and clever, and I do enjoy his asides when I forget I'm searching for a story in the midst of it. The thing is, each of the three Discworld books I've completed so far took me some effort to get into in spite of appreciating the humor. Because the characters remain caricatures as the humor takes center stage. And I actually find it kind of boring.

It's not until late in each book that I started to be interested in what was actually happening. And the charact
Stjepan Cobets
Aug 19, 2016 Stjepan Cobets rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and humour
Shelves: fantasy
When death comes it with his scythe brings the end of life but this time, it came to for his apprentices. His apprentice becomes Mortimer whom everyone calls Mort. Although he is a young man thought it was a great job for him will soon realize that this is not such a simple matter. Apprenticeships at Death is not such an easy task that he expected. The writer and this book make us laugh with silly stories and adventures of Discworld. Very fun book for all fans of weird and funny fantasy world.
Aoife
Nov 01, 2016 Aoife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library
I really enjoyed this Discworld novel which is about a boy called Mort who becomes Death's apprentice and things going a little bit cray-cray. I felt like this had more of a story than the other books, though Equal Rites does have a good plot as well, and i just really enjoyed all the crazy characters as usual but in particular Death. I loved how weird and wonderful he was and how undeath like he was I guess - I will never get the picture of Death in a kitchen with an apron and a whole family of ...more
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 Manny rated it liked it
This review contains major spoilers for the movie Pusher 3

The central joke in Mort is that Death is basically, you know, just a guy doing a job. The other day, I thought of Terry Pratchett's novel for the first time in ages when we saw I'm The Angel of Death , Nicolas Winding Refn's brilliant conclusion to the Pusher trilogy. In the first two movies, we've had several brief encounters with the terrifying Milo, a Serbian kingpin in Copenhagen's underworld. The first film ends with him and his as
Olivia
Of all 4 Discworld novels I've read, this one is my favourite. It's a cute story and Death is definitely a funny and interesting guy. It didn't fully keep my interest though, as the story lags a bit in the middle. The writing style is clever, but the characters feel stilted at times. I've decided to stop reading the Discworld series. I just don't feel the enthusiasm I was hoping I would.
Gary
Excellent and fun

I just love the characters this author comes up with. Death is a great ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION and Mort, the human he selects as his apprentice, is the perfect replacement. Sort of.
Mort has a hard time filling in for Death when he needs a day off. At least he does once a girl gets involved. There is romance in this as well, sort of. Apparently, not completing the job Death is meant to do has some pretty serious consequences that even a cameo appearance by Rincewind may n
David Sarkies
Aug 11, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who loves a good laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Death takes on an apprentice
14 August 2012

Well, while I suggested that Equal Rites must have been Pratchett's make or break book, I did not expect the brilliance of this book. After picking myself off the floor after laughing so much at some of the absolutely off the wall humour, I must say that, to put it bluntly, Terry Pratchett attempted to send the fantasy genre into a completely different direction, and succeeded.

Basically Death has become board, and lonely, with his job, and wants to fin
Mamen B.
Feb 24, 2016 Mamen B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, mundodisco
3/5

Sigo avanzando con Mundodisco, y tengo que decir que me alegro mucho de estar haciéndolo por orden de publicación, porque hay dos detalles en este libro que ya se refieren a los anteriores, y aunque no tienen ninguna relevancia para la trama, yo soy de esa gente que quiere sacar todo el jugo a los libros.

En cuanto al libro en sí, aquí conocemos a la Muerte y a Mort, que yo en un principio pensaba que eran la misma cosa, pero en realidad no es así. La trama me ha gustado bastante, y ya vamos t
Celise
Feb 16, 2015 Celise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned-read
“He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.”

Parts of the story got a little muddled somewhere between the ending and the middle, but as usual the humour and the absurd characters are what brought everything around. Mort and Death are a duo that are quite enjoyable, of course with the addition of Death's noble steed, Binky. Death being the serious, completely terrifying guy who asks questions like "WHY IS THERE A
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Pratchett's Discworld novels are unfailingly entertaining. In Mort, Pratchett introduces his personification of Death. However, the familiar hooded, skeletal figure with a sickle is getting kind of bored with rushing about from deathbed to murder scene... The solution? To take on an apprentice. Mort is an awkward, clumsy farmer's son, whose inconvenient habit of asking questions has made him more in-the-way than not at home – and he's had no luck finding a position elsewhere. So when ...more
Megan Baxter
Mar 20, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
I've been reading Mort while I eat for the last week or so - it's just about the perfect level for that amount of attention. To the person I borrowed the book from, I promise I didn't get any food on it. I'm just trying to say something about Terry Pratchett. It's thoroughly enjoyable and light, and not particularly taxing. Perfect reading while eating.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision
Sandra Bašić
Mar 27, 2017 Sandra Bašić rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kako napraviti zafrkanciju sa Smrću, koje se ipak svi pomalo pribojavamo? Jednostavno, dajte Pratchettu da o tome napiše knjigu!

Odličan stil, odlična ideja... iako sam stalno razmišljala - koliko zvjezdica zaslužuje. Sam kraj je onu četvorku o kojoj sam razmišljala definitivno pretvorio u zvjezdicu više.
Antonio
Nov 05, 2016 Antonio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Primera novela que leo de Terry Pratchett y me ha encantado. Mundodisco es un mundo genial, divertido, lleno de magia y aventuras. Personajes geniales como la muerte, cálidos como Mort, DIVERTIDÍSIMOS como el mago buencorte y hilarantes como Albert y Ysabell.
Un libro redondo, ágil y entretenido. Tiene pasajes profundos y muy bonitos.
Fascinante.
Alexander Páez
Me arrepiento de no haber leído este libro de adolescente, me hubiera marcado profundamente.
Kevin
Jul 07, 2017 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
THERE’S NO JUSTICE, said Mort. JUST US

Cruel? I don't think so, no matter how high, how mighty, how kind or evil the tyrant might be, take solace that no matter what, in the end, DEATH or Mort will come for them.

I love stories about anthropomorphic personification, they get at the heart of the matter. Death was a famous character before Pratchett, I watched him play chess, then Battleship, Clue, Electronic Football finally Twister. But death doesn't find any pleasure in games it seems, when he ha
Knigoqdec
Jun 05, 2017 Knigoqdec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Смърт беше склонен да се съгласи, че няма да разбере хората, докато е жив...
Alfred Haplo
Feb 22, 2017 Alfred Haplo rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f
DEATH takes on a new life in Mort. Figuratively, and most literally, in book #4 of DiscWorld starring the grim reaper. Also known as The Stealer of Souls, Defeater of Empires, Swallower of Oceans, Thief of Years, The Ultimate Reality and Harvester of Mankind, all of which are DEATH’s official titles and frightening ones at that. Off duty though, HE is just your resident undead, or in human speak, a regular dude. At least, HE tries be.

DEATH hires Mort, a gangly and awkward young mortal, to be HI
Nic
May 27, 2009 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only other Discworld books I'd read were the Tiffany Aching sequence - The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith - and I was eager to try others. With those books, I found the humor hilarious and the worldbuilding excellent, but Tiffany a little obnoxious, mostly because she seemed too mature for her age, which ranges from nine to thirteen in the books.

A few writing-style trends that I found continuing here: Pratchett can be a tiny bit repetitive, especially on really good details
Katie
Jul 21, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Wastrel
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, comedy
Pratchett continues to be a total delight for me. We are getting to the point that I wound fight someone who said something bad about him.

Mort is the first starring role for Death, who got cameos in The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites. He's a lovely character: distant but sensitive, (mostly) immovable, a big fan of cats. He's been on the job for quite a while at this point and he's starting to suffer from some understandable ennui. As a potential solution he picks up young
Anders
Oct 29, 2012 Anders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, recommended
Mort is the fourth novel in the Discworld series. Like the other novels in the series it is witty, clever and quite a bit absurd. It is not dark and gritty like some of the other really great fantasy out there, but it's not supposed to be.

The story follows Mort. A young and fairly simple farm boy, who has to go to town to find a job. At the market everyone else in the job line gets a job, even a wall-eyed young man with a stoop and a running nose, but Mort who stays put until midnight has had n
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Czarownik Iwanow (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #2)
  • The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

20 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said. "Have you thought of going into teaching?” 1387 likes
“He'd been wrong, there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower.” 1013 likes