Start by marking “The Good Hawk (Shadow Skye, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Hawk (Shadow Skye, #1)

The Good Hawk

(Shadow Skye #1)

In a mythic Scotland, two unlikely heroes must make a dangerous journey to save their people.

Agatha is a Hawk, brave and fierce, who protects her people by patrolling the high walls of their island home. She is proud of her job, though some in her clan whisper that it is meant to keep her out of the way because of the condition she was born with.Jaime, thoughtful and anxio
Expected publication: January 21st 2020 by Walker Books US

To ask other readers questions about The Good Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Hawk

Cynthia Parkhill
The Good Hawk is a work of historical fantasy for young people (ages 10 to 14), set among the Celts of the Middle Ages during an era of Viking invasions along Scotland.

Agatha and Jaime are members of a clan who live on a remote island off the coast of Scotia; they believe that a plague killed everybody who lived on the mainland. The first-hand narration of this story alternates between Agatha and Jaime; it offers clearly distinguished "voices" for each of its narrators.

Neither Agatha nor Jaime
April
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Good Hawk
By Joseph Elliott
2020

An Early Reviewers book - Advance Reading Copy (ARC).
It has been a while since I have read a non-Terry Pratchett fantasy novel, but I am very glad that I decided to read The Good Hawk. This story takes place in a a fictional and fantastical medieval Isle of Skye and Scotland that has been changed by a great plague and two young misfits must learn to be heroes to save their entire people.
The writing and plot are superb and imaginative and the two main characters
Viral
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Walker Books for the ARC at BEA 2019!

This was a fascinating dive into a medieval Scotland, with our two main characters Agatha and Jaime. Agatha is a little different from the other kids, but it's revealed she has a unique power that dramatically changes her life. Agatha and Jaime have to set out on a quest to save their homeland, and discover a lot about themselves and their tribe that they didn't know about before. It was an incredibly interesting and important book, not only in its
Sara
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a genuinely exciting book! I have about twenty pages left to read and I'm trying my best to slow myself down, because it's so good and I don't want it to end! The author described it as "Game of Thrones for kids" at a recent event. I'm one of the few people on the planet who hasn't seen or read Games of Thrones (I know!) so I can't comment on that, but what I do know is that it's filled with a cast of weird and wonderful characters who have the most incredible adventures and that I can't ...more
Whitney
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A promising start to a new trilogy. I have to say, this book surprised me a lot - mostly for good, although it turned out to be a little too violent for my taste. Instead of being a fantasy book about a girl with special needs, it turned out to be a gritty adventure with well-written characters, one of whom just happens to have special needs. It was so refreshing to see a book written like that. Looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you to Walker Books US and LibraryThing for the advanc
Lydia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but at times it was hard for me to stay connected to the story. Instead of not being able to put the book down, I found it better to read in smaller chunks. That said, it was still a very good book with interesting plot lines and well-developed characters. It was the first fantasy book I've read in a while, so I enjoyed re-entering this genre. I think the author did a good job changing his writing style to fit the different viewpoints of the various characters.
Betty Culley
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an arc, and really loved it. I especially loved the character of Agatha. The language and setting is beautiful and you will be immediately drawn into this world.
Jmorenocidoncha
Nov 10, 2018
Mark Jojie Emelo
Nov 25, 2018
Dec 01, 2018
Joseph Elliott is a writer, teacher, and actor known for his work in children’s television. The Good Hawk is his first book. He lives in London.