The Sword and Laser discussion

Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
This topic is about Gideon the Ninth
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gideon the Ninth > GtN: February 2020 Pick: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
Our February pick will be: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

What do you guys think about the pick? As usual I'll close this thread about a week into February.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm glad I belong to a few different county's libraries. My county has a HUGE waitlist for both the hardcover and ebook version of this.

However the next county over had 1 copy available, so hopefully I'll get that soon.

Not sure I'm going to enjoy this once (hence the library copy) but willing to give it a try. It seems to have a lot of good buzz anyways.

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
Our first ever New Zealand author as a main pick.
2nd including alternates (Adam Christopher)

2nd Author from Oceania/Antipedes/Australasia (Daniel O'Malley)
3rd including alternates (Daniel O'Malley & Adam Christopher)

She's the first female author from the Southern Hemisphere.
2nd author from the Southern Hemisphere (Daniel O'Malley)
3rd author born in Southern Hemisphere (J.R.R. Tolkien and Daniel O'Malley)
4th author born in Southern Hemisphere including alternates (J.R.R. Tolkien, Daniel O'Malley & Adam Christopher)

Trike | 8500 comments Rob wrote: "Our February pick will be: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

What do you guys think about the pick? As usual I'll close this thread about a week into February."

The beginning and end are really good; the middle 400 pages less so. As always, YMMV.

The covers of this book and upcoming sequel are terrific. My completely non-spoiler review, including links to covers: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

HeyT | 31 comments I think the key to enjoying this one is to not take it seriously at all.

Suzanne | 49 comments I read it a few months ago. I got the hardback from the library and it looked awesome - black edged pages, and great cover art. I wanted to leave it out everywhere for people to see - between the look of the book and the big blurb that said something like "Lesbian necromancers in space!" it was eye catching.

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3960 comments Rob wrote: "I'm glad I belong to a few different county's libraries. My county has a HUGE waitlist for both the hardcover and ebook version of this.

However the next county over had 1 copy available, so hopef..."

LAPL had one copy on a 7-day turnaround so I took it. Other books will have to wait, but I probably would have been done in 10 days anyway.

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 275 comments I've been seeing this one talked about everywhere - very nearly picked it up earlier in the week but then wasn't sure about the gore (apparently there is Much Gore). But I'm happy to give it a go.

Trike | 8500 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I've been seeing this one talked about everywhere - very nearly picked it up earlier in the week but then wasn't sure about the gore (apparently there is Much Gore). But I'm happy to give it a go."

There is gruesomeness, but it didn’t really register as such, probably because the snarkiness leaves one feeling somewhat emotionally detached.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth | 1053 comments I already own this on audiobook so it’s a chance to reduce my TBR rather than add to it. Excellent! The book looks fun so fingers crossed I’ll enjoy this pick.

message 11: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie | 2 comments I'm also glad I had a reason to pick this up. it's been on my wish list for a while.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (last edited Jan 25, 2020 05:49AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3960 comments Trike wrote: "The beginning and end are really good; the middle 400 pages less so. As always, YMMV."

I started it yesterday since I'm on a 7-day library turnaround. The beginning was certainly fast. Seemed like one stunt after another. I am curious where the world building is going to go. Cross fingers to enjoy the next 400 pages...

message 13: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1554 comments And if I’m not mistaken, there is a decent chance this could be a Hugo nomination this year. And thus would reduce the number of books needed to be read after the announcements. Sounds like V is thinking ahead here.

message 14: by terpkristin (new) - added it

terpkristin | 4144 comments I'm not...totally stoked. But, as usual, I'll give it a go. The picks last year and so far this year really haven't grabbed me. Maybe my tastes are changing, I don't know. I'm finding myself reading a lot more cozy mysteries and non-fiction (though most of the non-fiction is topical for recent things and really isn't uplifting).

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "And if I’m not mistaken, there is a decent chance this could be a Hugo nomination this year. And thus would reduce the number of books needed to be read after the announcements. Sounds like V is th..."

I hope it is on the list! It totally deserves it. In a day or two I can share if it also made the top ten list for the ALA Booklist Committee that I'm on, which it might have!

I think if the book doesn't look like your thing, try it anyway. It ends up being kind of a closed room murder mystery on top of all the necromancy, so that's one draw, and the character of Gideon is amazing - sarcastic, flawed, antisocial.... Funny parts, violent parts, confusing parts - I had to look up a little bit about necromancy, this not being something I would typically read....

message 16: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Jones (hrjones) | 5 comments I think this is the second time that the book pick is something I was about to (coincidentally) read, but last time life was too distracting to participate in discussions. I'm going to break my usual routine and read it in an actual physical copy since I got one as part of a Sirens Conference auction package. (With the black deckle edges and everything.) I'm of two minds, ok maybe three. I tend to be allergic to books that get a lot of generic excited hype. But lots of people whose taste I often align with loved it (not that that's a guarantee of anything). But it's not a genre/flavor that I would ordinarily go for except for the whole "Lesbians!" aspect. What can I say? I'm shallow that way.

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments This has a lot of buzz around it, made it on a lot of the Top Ten lists of various Blogs I follow.

message 18: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy | 85 comments I already had this on audio and was going to start it soon anyway. I'd say it's a good pick for the group.

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 692 comments Hmm, even though I usually at least try to read each of the picks, I lemmed 2 picks last year because too much gore, so I think I'll be giving this a pass.

Trike | 8500 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm not...totally stoked. But, as usual, I'll give it a go. The picks last year and so far this year really haven't grabbed me. Maybe my tastes are changing, I don't know. I'm finding myself readin..."

This is not exactly a cozy mystery, but it’s also not far afield from that, either. So in that regard you might like it.

message 21: by Rick (new) - added it

Rick | 2793 comments If anyone is on the fence about this one Tor.com posted the first 8 chapters for free on their site. Ch 1 is here https://www.tor.com/2019/04/08/read-g...

message 22: by Sheila Jean (last edited Jan 25, 2020 01:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheila Jean | 321 comments Was about a quarter through my library copy when it was announced as the pick, and have just finished. I don't know what I thought it would be, but it wasn't anything Iexpected. Still mulling over a rating.

Vanessa | 101 comments I am so excited to read this! I got the ebook from the library the day before it was announced, so I'm ready to dive in...

message 24: by Mer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mer | 174 comments Rick wrote: "If anyone is on the fence about this one Tor.com posted the first 8 chapters for free on their site. Ch 1 is here https://www.tor.com/2019/04/08/read-g..."

I"m not on the fence but like Roberator, the waiting line is long at every one of my 6 library systems, so it'll be nice to use Tor's site to finally get to chime in before the month is up.

message 26: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2355 comments Tor.com is hosting a Gideon the Ninth reread...

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/21/the-gi...

message 27: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark wrote: "Tor.com is hosting a Gideon the Ninth reread...

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/21/the-gi..."

Re-read :-? The book is only 4 months old

message 28: by William (new) - added it

William (wgkeaton) | 10 comments I read this one early because another Book Club just did it. looking forward to processing it because I still have no clue how to rate or evaluate it.

message 29: by Rick (new) - added it

Rick | 2793 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "
Re-read :-? The book is only 4 months old"

That was my reaction.

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 275 comments Rick wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "

That was my reaction."

It's also an excruciating read. The book is proving to be better, so far.

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments After hearing a lot of good things about this book last year, I took it out of the library. However, life got very busy and I never had the time to read it, and returned it to the library just last week. It looks like I'll be placing another hold for it now!

message 32: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Jones (hrjones) | 5 comments I'm feeling more comfortable with my reaction to the re-read thing now that everyone else is saying the same thing. This is one of the reasons that I get antsy when a book that sounds interesting gets over-the-top hype. I mean, it isn't even out in paperback yet, right? How does a "re-read" even make sense in that context? I feel manipulated. (Still going to read it, but now it's going to have to really blow my socks off to not be disapointing.)

David H. (farrakut) I mean, it's a Tor.com book, of course Tor.com is going to hype it on their website.

I try not to let any hype ruin any potential enjoyment. Nothing can EVER live up to hype anyway, so if I already know I'd like to read it, I'll ignore anything else.

message 34: by Rick (last edited Jan 26, 2020 02:16PM) (new) - added it

Rick | 2793 comments 215 people ahead of me in the hold queue at the library. $14 to buy it. I want to read it but that's just not going to happen this month, even setting aside that I have other books I'm reading, especially when there's a good chance it goes on sale in a few months when the 2nd book is out to spur sales of that.

Trike | 8500 comments David H. wrote: "I mean, it's a Tor.com book, of course Tor.com is going to hype it on their website.

I try not to let any hype ruin any potential enjoyment. Nothing can EVER live up to hype anyway, so if I alread..."

I prefer to distinguish between “hype” and “buzz”. Hype is marketing by people who want to sell you something. Buzz is grassroots, where people are simply taken with something and talk it up.

I don’t often align with buzz, but I always discount hype.

message 36: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth | 331 comments Got to read an advance copy last summer through my library, and liked it. It's been just long enough that I mostly remember enjoying it, and don't really remember exactly why. I'm a sucker for an anti-hero, and especially if they're a bit anti-social too.

Also, the second in the series is out in June and just showed up as on-order in my library's catalog and I got on the hold list early.

message 37: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2355 comments Apparently Tor.com has created an Instagram filter to find your Gideon the Ninth house. I'm not on Instagram so someone else needs to try it out and report back.

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/stat...

message 38: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Most of us would be Sixth House ;-)

In their orbital Library, the Sixth House preserves and investigates the collective knowledge of the Empire. Masters of a thousand esoteric fields of study, they are often considered bookish, but are never to be underestimated.

Strengths: The Sixth have read the book on most subjects, and wrote the book on the rest. They are flexible and adaptive, always ready to change their approach.

Weaknesses: A sprawling organization of erratic loners, the Sixth are chaotic by nature and terrible at collective action.

message 39: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2355 comments LOL, yes 6th

here are the rest

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/20/find-y...

message 40: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

First House - Veronica (The Emperor)

Second House - The Roberator
The Second House is the militant strength of the Emperor. Deeply interwoven with the Cohort, they comport themselves with military rigour in all situations. Their fervent devotion to rank and order makes them prone to taking charge, often over the protestations of other houses.

Third House - Me :-)
The Third House is the vanguard of trend in the Empire, setting fashion and sparking gossip with their every move. Not only do they spark rumours, they also diligently collect intelligence, both personal and political.

Fourth House- Tom
The Fourth House is the vanguard of the Empire, first over the line on every battlefield as the Emperor wages war across the galaxy.

Sixth House- The rest of you ;-)

message 41: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I do like order...

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 129 comments Managed to snag this one earlier this month off my library's New Releases shelf. Certain aspects of Gideon & Harrow's relationship annoyed me, but I enjoyed it overall. Looking forward to the discussion!

Kevin | 701 comments Rick wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "

That was my reaction."

It's promotional. It's to keep up a conversation about the book. The re-read will end around the time the second book is scheduled to be released.

message 44: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary (marybeougherauthor) | 25 comments Nope. I’m out this month. I gave this a big fat DNF. I’ll console myself with the book pick from another group. I do look forward to seeing the opinions roll in though.

message 45: by Unionjill (new) - added it

Unionjill | 12 comments My wife got a copy of this when it came out, so it's there on the shelf waiting to be read. My wife wasn't a fan so I haven't rushed to read it, but a lot of authors I like have said good things about it so I'm intrigued.

Chris | 15 comments I just started the audiobook read by Moira Quirk, and I think it‘s the best narrated book I’ve heard in a long time! Would definitely recommend!

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I think it is a love it or hate it book for most people, for me it was my favorite book of last year, but I am also very very aware of why some people might not like it. Sometimes I think a book getting this popular is a double edge sword, because yeah, a lot more people are going to read it, but a lot of those people are people who aren’t going to enjoy it and had it not been so popular probably never would have picked it up.

Poonam | 58 comments I heard about it and didn't want to pick it up. Then the buzz really blew up so I figured I would give it a shot. Not my favorite, but also not the worst

message 49: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3960 comments What an uneven book. Just finished. Had anyone asked me at the halfway point I would have said it was getting too complex to follow and too slow to hold my interest. I didn't have any intent to read the followups at that point.

Then the quality went up and up and UP. Incredible ending. I'm in for the sequels.

This book is outside my usual wheelhouse, but big props to Muir for sticking the landing. Not sure where the story will go from where it ended but I'll go along for the ride.

message 50: by Mark (last edited Jan 28, 2020 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2355 comments

Note: The rating is other library patrons. I've just started reading.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.