Start by marking “Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)

Gideon the Ninth

(The Ninth House #1)

Gideon the Ninth is the most fun you'll ever have with a skeleton.

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.

Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skill
Published September 10th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Gideon the Ninth, please sign up.
Tamsyn Muir That's lovely to hear, and I am not unsympathetic to your plight. With that in mind, here are some suggestions:

1. Increase your bodyweight by 30%,…more

1. Increase your bodyweight by 30%, create a den, hibernate until September. Difficult if you're not both bears, but have a go

2. Entertain yourselves in the meantime by writing your own copy of GIDEON THE NINTH. If you think it might be better than the actual GIDEON THE NINTH keep it quiet!!! I don't need the competition!!!!!

3. Tell my publisher that you are 100% certain it is September and that you need a copy available to buy. This is a difficult con and relies on you travelling to their offices and changing all the calendars, which is also trespassing and may get you arrested. I guess this is the wild card. Maybe don't do this one

4. If you or your adult are on Twitter I am giving away galleys of this thing every month! Easiest option, but does require luck, and having an opinion on things like bones and swords

Whichever option you decide to go with, I hope that whenever you end up with a copy of the book you have an A+ reading time. Sorry about the wait...(less)
Tamsyn Muir Thank you so much for your interest in Gideon the Ninth, and I don't think you sound rude at all.

It's hard to quantify how much LGBT content is in the…more

It's hard to quantify how much LGBT content is in the book -- the plot contains arguably very little romance, and conflicts/issues surrounding being LGBTQIA+ don't come up at all and never will. Hilariously, the word 'lesbian' comes up in the blurb, but is never used in the book.

That said, it's a book written by an LGBTQIA+ author about two LGBTQIA+ leads, and I can Word-of-God confirm that the POV protagonist is a lesbian whose interest in women is very obvious throughout the book. The non-POV protagonist's interest in bones is very obvious throughout the book. Hope that helps...

Again, thank you heaps, and isn't the cover GREAT??? Check out artist Tommy Arnold's work at http://www.tommyarnoldart.com/ and designer Jamie Stafford-Hill's at http://www.staffordhill.net/-- both are so boss!(less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
What greater debt could be accrued than that of being brought up?” There’s an invisible collar rested around Gideon Nav’s throat, its leash leading back to the Ninth House, the claws of its heir fastened tight in her flesh.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, the sole daughter and secret ruler of the Ninth (and Gideon Nav’s executioner by increment), wore her destiny like a noose. She kept the frailty of her house guarded, locked-down, putting up a masterly front, but a chance at competing for the prestigou
Melanie

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review.

“The more you struggle against the Ninth, Nav, the deeper it takes you; the louder you curse it, the louder they’ll have you scream.”

Hi, my name is Melanie, and this was a really hard review to write for many reasons. First, I think I have hyped this book for all of 2019, and I have been very vocal about it being my favorite book of the year, and the best debut I’ve ever had the privilege of reading. Next, how do you write a review on the
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

”You want to fight it.”

“Yep.”

“Because it looked…a little like swords.”

”Yop.”

okay. so. usually when i write a review, i am writing it for some nameless, faceless reader who is deciding whether or not to read a book and looking for some information to help them make that decision, so i’ll do the whole plot-point, pull-quote thing—giving an overview of the book so they know what to expect, to know if it’s their kind of thing or not. those are the reviews i find the most helpful to
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
the blurb of this quite literally contains the phrase "lesbian necromancers" like thanks Tor you know you’re the only publisher I trust anymore
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review :D

“Two is for discipline, heedless of trial;
Three for the gleam of a jewel or a smile;
Four for fidelity, facing ahead;
Five for tradition and debts to the dead;
Six for the truth over solace in lies;
Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies;
Eight for salvation no matter the cost;
Nine for the Tomb, and for all that was lost.”

🌟 I am pretty sure this will
megs_bookrack
Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-to-read
SWOON.

I need this yesterday.
Look at that cover!

Just LOOK at it.
Behold its beauty and then read the synopsis...

I know, right!?!?

Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I've been sitting on this DNF for a couple months now. For those of you who are avid YouTube watchers of mine, you know I could not get through this book. I wasn't going to rate it but I feel SO strongly about this 1 star rating. This book suffers from the Tor hype as did The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons which I also highly disliked. The writing is a mess. Characters names are "neiowhgiewongow"..
The main character is an absolute ass. She gets the chance to get off the planet and her literal respo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
As RIDICULOUSLY pumped as I was to read this... I'm just... not in the mood for it right now, and it breaks my little queer heart. :( I'll pick it back up and try it again in a few weeks because I truly, 100% believe it's me, not the book.
Tatiana
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of brain breaking world building
Recommended to Tatiana by: Melanie
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, ppb, ala19, 2019
Pretty much what karen said.

I haven’t worked this hard trying to grock a book since Ninefox Gambit. The world building is dense and elaborate, and I honestly had no idea there was so much to know about necromancy. Is all necromancy stuff in this book a total Tamsyn Muir invention? Or is this a commonly known lore? Am I just not reading the right books? ‘Cause this is fascinating.

If you put the complication of the world building aside, the plot is fairly simple - the Emperor of this necromantic w
Meaghan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-arcs-2019
I’ll be honest, I don’t even know how to summarize this book. I don’t even know how to review this book. All I know is that Gideon the Ninth may just be my favorite book in 2019, maybe ever since Strange the Dreamer. This book took me by complete surprise, especially as I was originally put off by the beginning few chapters.

This book kind of just drops you in this large, extensive world without a guide, and while I was originally quite lost, you very quickly learn to just go along with the chara
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 04, 2019 marked it as paused-on-hold
Recommended to Chelsea by: Chaima ✨ شيماء
As this has been one of my most anticipated 2019 releases, I've decided to put this one on hold and return to it at a later date. It's a really slow burn, so much so that at page 150 nothing has actually happened yet, and none of the world building has been explained. I think this is an important book, and I'd like to revisit it when I'm in a better head space for this one, instead of forcing myself through to review it before publication. <3

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my revi
Rebecca Roanhorse
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunningly good. A brilliant and original mash-up of genres, the story is brimming with memorable characters, acerbic dark humor, a unique magic system, space travel, decaying technology and layers upon layers of mystery. It is the Gothic space adventure I didn't know I needed.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
I heard Necromancy & Queer & I didn't need to read anymore to know I need this 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽
Sana
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I HAS THE ARC AAAAAAAHH

---------------------

Author:
1. I need to share these books with you.
2. They answer my question of, What if a bunch of human-equivalent oil slicks… did space necromancy at each other?
3. How can I make sword fights… more dead and more gay?

Me: SOLDSOLDSOLD

Source
Hollis
So listen. The only reason I'm not giving this five stars is because sometimes, while reading, I would feel a little lost. Confused, even. It's been awhile since I read an adult science-fiction novel, particularly one as complex as this, with such a large cast, and during the over (!) two (!!) weeks (!!!) it took me to read this, between slumps and life chaos and other ARC deadlines, it was just.. a lot.

"I would have thought you would be happy that I needed you. That I showed you my girlish and
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so wholly original! Such a fresh concept, and a great execution. Gideon’s humor landed well with me, and I loved the relationship between Gideon and Harrow. And those last 100 pages? Perfection. I never wanted to stop reading!

Buddy read with Lea 🖤
Allison
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not sure if I'll post a full review this early but WAKE UP AND PUT THIS BOOK ON YOUR TO-READ/PRE-ORDER LIST IMMEDIATELY.

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ IN THE LAST??? 2???? YEARS??

Barbed humor, fascinating necromantic theory, and an amazing blend of gothic fantasy and science fiction. AND REAL WARMTH? I CRIED? Huge cast but every single one of them absolutely memorable.

Not going to be to everyone's taste between the brand of humor and the gore but PHEW.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lea (drumsofautumn) by: Melanie
PLEASE STAB ME WITH YOUR RAPIER, GIDEON, IT WOULD HURT LESS THAN THIS ENDING

Buddy read with Madalyn 🖤 Gifted to me by Melanie 🖤
Emily A. Duncan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is it. This is the perfect book.
sofia (sam willows)
this comes out tomorrow so y'all better get on it

review:

so, i loved this book. it wasn’t perfect, by any means, but in the end i loved it all the same. even though this book is a new favorite of mine, i feel obliged to spend some time talking about what i didn’t love for the sake of people who will pick this up when it comes out.

the worlduilding

i’m pretty used to high fantasy worlduilding, where you’re thrown into a complex, made up society and you have to figure out how it works as you go. i c
Boston
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
I’m writing this review at 2am so bear with me.

This book is everything I have ever wanted. Necromancy? Here for it. Lesbians? Always down. A badass fantasy/sci-fi turned whodunnit? YES.

This book was casually riding the 4 star train up until I hit 75%. At that point I planned on going to sleep (reader I did not go to sleep). I stayed up for an extra 2 hours (I think) to finish this book. The end plot twists had me shouting in my bedroom (sorry dad) and stopping to take deep breaths.

The charact
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss from Tor.com in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 25%

I just... I couldn't.

I couldn't.

I couldn't do it!

I started it one night and by the next day, I knew that it wasn't for me. But, I feel like writing a full(ish) review to go on the blog because it's a very hyped book. I've seen a lot of positive ratings and I'm starting to see some more critical ones, but I want to add my voice into this.

So, what's this book about?

Honestly? I have no idea. The book simulta
Acqua
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, adult, db, q, yff
The "gay necromancers in space" book has a cover! And wow is it a remarkable one
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: Murder, violence, gore

*I was sent an advanced copy of this book from Tor.com in exchange of an honest review

THIS? WAS? SO? GOOD? It was so so different from what I expected especially with the murder mystery element but also still great all the same!

RTC
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Gideon the Ninth was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. I mean.. how could I not get excited for lesbian necromancers in space?! With a fantasy feel? YES PLEASE!

Unfortunately.. it was a complete letdown, which breaks my queer little heart!

Gideon the Ninth is a DNF for me. I struggled through 165 pages.

Life is too short to waste on books that you aren't vibing with! I've finally allowed myself to listen to my own advice lately! There are a fuck ton of books out there
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Confession.  I don't really read adult fantasy.  I don't know why.  I have some on my TBR, but when I pick up an adult book, it tends to be a mystery/thriller.  This is a hard book for me to review because I liked it a lot, but it took me forever to read.  I felt like a failure at times.  I'm 41.  Why was I struggling with an adult book when I've been reading adult books since I was 11?  I really think it's the genre.  It can take me awhile with YA fantasy and sci fi at times, too.

I struggled
Julie Zantopoulos
Jul 21, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: diverse-read, arc, dnf
I'm gonna go ahead and mark this as a DNF...for now. I am not sure if it was me or the book but this just was NOT working for me when I picked it up. I'm hoping to come back to it at some point but I couldn't force myself to pick it up and struggled to get to page 60something. Maybe one day.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
confirmed: this book is properly batshit insane. I thought everyone was exaggerating a bit, but no. It’s properly fucking bizarre and mad and insane in the very best way.

So, I was under the implication that this would be a competition narrative but it’s not really. It’s an got messy amalgamation of genres: sci-fi x murder mystery x horror x black comedy x etc etc etc. It’s also super damn gay and I’m so into that.

Gideon’s quips genuinely gave me life. The slow burn relationship between Gideon
Kerri
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
description

Trigger warnings: genre-typical violence, desecration of dead body, self-harm for ritualistic purposes, death of children

***I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at BookCon in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are uninfluenced***

Okay, this is going to be a difficult review to write. Mainly because two of my close friends (Melanie from MelToTheAny and Rhiannon from CrescentMoonReads) were super excited for me to read this and love it and I.....didn't. Don't get
Jocelyn
Overall, this was a fine debut but I was expecting more on every front. I have a lot of thoughts so I'm just going to drop them here as concisely as I can.

Firstly, let's talk story itself. There's a lot here genre-wise. This was sold to me as lesbian necromancers in space, which yeah, is all true, but I don't think adequately prepared me for what the book's essence is. To me, it felt more like a spec fic mystery. To be brief, Harrow and Gideon are called to represent the Ninth House and travel
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Empress of Forever
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 16 (Kekkaishi, #16)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • The Deep
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • Miranda in Milan
  • The City We Became
Tamsyn Muir is a horror, fantasy and sci-fi author whose short fiction has been nominated for the Nebula Award, the Shirley Jackson Award, the World Fantasy Award and the Eugie Foster Memorial Award. A Kiwi, she has spent most of her life in Howick, New Zealand, with time living in Waiuku and central Wellington. She currently lives and works in Oxford, in the United Kingdom.

Her debut science-fant

The Ninth House (3 books)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Ninth House, #2)
  • Alecto the Ninth (The Ninth House, #3)