YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Bear and the Serpent (Echoes of the Fall, #2)
This topic is about The Bear and the Serpent
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Bear and the Serpent (Echoes of the Fall #2) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Starting February 24th 2020

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Maniye, child of Wolf and Tiger, has a new soul and a new shape. But as Champion of the Crown of the World, does she represent an opportunity for the North – or a threat? Travelling as a bodyguard to the Southern prince, with her warband of outcasts, she hopes to finally discover her true place in the world.

But if only it was that simple. Tensions rise, and new allies face up to old enemies as civil war threatens to tear the South apart. Royal twins can't share a throne, so one must be chosen. And whoever rules the southern Sun River Nation will hold the fate of the world in their hands. As the protector of one potential heir, Maniye soon finds herself at the eye of a political storm. Yet all the while, an enemy from the most ancient of times prepares for conquest, and could destroy everything in their path…

message 2: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 24th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 3: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Going to jump into this one, tomorrow :)

Twila | 940 comments I'll be starting maybe tonight!

Twila | 940 comments I just started and things I'm hoping for is for some exploration of the lions. I'm a fan of the Kate Daniels series and the were-lion in there was SO interesting. I'd love to see the lions in this one. I also want some panthers! Love those.

Chapter 2 spoilers (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments This book is already blowing my mind!

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments I'm through 10 chapters (25%) and that's all I can read for tonight.
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I'm just starting :)

Twila | 940 comments I have to start another book today, so I'll be slowing down. Just had a free evening, so I wanted to start a bit.

message 10: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I didn't get any read this morning but am actually starting now, lol.

message 11: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

message 12: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Twila wrote: "This book is already blowing my mind!

Chapter 3 Loud Thunder POVs! Yes!
But what shocks me is that we're in the head of a seal right now, oh em gee. This is great. "

I know! I'm loving all these new animal perspectives that are being explored.

message 13: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Twila wrote: "I'm through 10 chapters (25%) and that's all I can read for tonight.
So, the pace is very different from the pace in book 1. A lot less action, more setting things up for something BIG to happen. I..."

Even though this is obviously not an accurate history, it does read like an ancient version of our world and so I'm wondering if (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments I was stuck without internet ALL day. It's just started working again, ugh. But yes, Dannii, all the new animal perspectives are awesome. I think the "About the Author" section at the end of the last book said that Tchaikovsky has a degree in zoology, and he's really putting that knowledge to use!! I find the coyotes especially interesting.

The world sort of seems like the Stone Age, doesn't it? But I don't know if it really was regular humans killing everyone. They were riding some type of huge animal in the water and I can't even begin to guess what that's all about.

message 15: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments That's so cool that he managed to combine his knowledge into this world! You can feel how well researched it is, this one even more so than the first book with the inclusion of so many new characters and animals.

message 16: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments Dannii, totally agree! (view spoiler)

message 18: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments The part with the twins I like the most is (view spoiler)

message 20: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Sorry for my lack of updates. I flew through the second half of this, this afternoon. Whilst I still found it way slower in pace and more disjointed than the first book, I did enjoy it overall. (view spoiler)

Twila | 940 comments That's alright, I just finished too! And oh my gosh! (view spoiler)

Do you want to start book 3 immediately or??

message 22: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments (view spoiler)

I can jump in straight away. I'm hoping to finish the next book before the month is out :)

The thread was already set up, here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by Twila (last edited Feb 28, 2020 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Twila | 940 comments Kalameshli rolls off the tongue real well, haha.
And ahh, I didn't see that thread, thanks!